PDA

View Full Version : Film director Robert Altman dies

Wintermute
Nov 21st, 2006, 05:47 PM
BBC News article (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6170376.stm)

I thought he was a fantastic director who always stayed just outside the mainstream. He never won a Best Director Oscar but they gave him the honorary award this year.

MASH, Nashville, The Player and Gosford Park are personal favorites. Anyone else a fan of Altman?

Helen Lawson
Nov 21st, 2006, 05:49 PM
I liked Altman a lot. My favorite was "Dr. T and the Women."

kiwifan
Nov 21st, 2006, 05:56 PM
That sucks!!!

I love his work, especially MASH, The Player and Short Cuts. :worship: :worship: :worship:

and Gosford Park shows that he still had plenty of great films in him. :angel:

This is a major loss to my industry. :sad:

decemberlove
Nov 21st, 2006, 06:09 PM
I guess this was expected as he wasn't very young, and the studio had P.T. Anderson as the back-up director of A Prairie Home Companion in case there were any complications with Robert. Still, I'm finding it a bit shocking and very sad. RIP. :sad:

Slumpsova
Nov 21st, 2006, 06:11 PM
he is one of my favourite director :bigcry: :crying2: :sobbing:
and it even more sad 'cuz he just announced his new project which he will work with Mery Streep again :sad:

Drake1980
Nov 21st, 2006, 06:11 PM
:sad: I really enjoyed his movies!

The Daviator
Nov 21st, 2006, 06:22 PM
:speakles: I didn't know that he was close to death, sad loss :sad:

BUBI
Nov 21st, 2006, 06:26 PM
:sad::sobbing:

My favourite films of his were McCabe & Mrs. Miller and MASH...

Qrystyna
Nov 21st, 2006, 06:27 PM
He looked like he was in good health, but I guess that can change fast. Just a couple of days ago I watched his film "A Wedding" which is probably one of his lesser known and underrated. Other than that, he is a massive talent that will be hugely missed! :(

Kart
Nov 21st, 2006, 07:54 PM
RIP.

I never understood the movies of his that I saw yet I found myself drawn to watching them anyway.

propi
Nov 21st, 2006, 09:06 PM
Paul really worships Robert, it's clear to see Altman's style in Magnolia or Boogie Nights :hearts:

This will be another black point in the Accademy, he should have won at least one of these golden eunucs :fiery:

Sam L
Nov 22nd, 2006, 12:42 AM
I liked Altman a lot. My favorite was "Dr. T and the Women."

Helen!! Hold me, this is so terrible!! :sad::sad::sad::sad::sad:

RIP Robert. A true Hollywood legend.

controlfreak
Nov 22nd, 2006, 01:11 AM
Truth be told, I always found he made a lot of quite good films but never a great one.

meyerpl
Nov 22nd, 2006, 04:22 AM
Altman was beloved by the actors he directed over the years. That's probably a more meaningful tribute than an Oscar.

LucasArg
Nov 22nd, 2006, 08:13 AM
One of my favorites. What a loss :sad:

Beat
Nov 22nd, 2006, 08:30 AM
goodbye.:sad:
nashville and short cuts were probably my favourite movies of his.

!Gio!
Nov 22nd, 2006, 09:28 AM
One of my favorite directors. Its a huge loss for Cinema all over the world. His movies were always original, highly naturalistic, but with an always stylized perspective. He has been a tribute to movie making, he will be missed and remembered.

galadriel
Nov 22nd, 2006, 09:30 AM
:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: