PDA

View Full Version : 10 facts you may or may not know about Ian Thorpe

Kunal
Nov 21st, 2006, 08:58 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_sports/swimming/6167826.stm

Ian Thorpe has shocked the world of swimming by retiring at the age of 24.
Born in Sydney on 13 October, 1982, the Australian won numerous Olympic, World and Commonwealth titles. He also set numerous world records, several of which still stand.

Here are 10 facts you may or may not know about one of the pool's greatest performers:

1. He is allergic to chlorine.

2. He took an interest in swimming when sister Christina was advised it would help strengthen a broken wrist.

3. At 6ft 5in tall with size 17 feet, he has several nicknames, chief among them "Thorpedo", "Thorpie" and "Human Fish".

4. He has his own line of jewellery and has also worked as an underwear model.

5. Thorpe is the only swimmer to win six gold medals in one World Championships - he achieved the feat in 2001 - and has a total of 11 world titles.

6. He is Australia's most decorated Olympian with nine medals - five gold, three silver and a bronze.

7. At 14, he became the youngest male to ever represent Australia and a year later became the youngest individual world champion following his victory in the 400m freestyle at the 1998 World Championships.

8. Thorpe was in New York on 11 September 2001 and was on his way to the World Trade Center when the first hijacked plane struck the Twin Towers.

9. He has broken 22 world records and still holds world marks in the 200m and 400m freestyle as well as being a member of the world record-holding 4x200m freestyle relay team.

10. He beat Pieter van den Hoogenband and Michael Phelps in the 200m final at the Athens Olympics in 2004. The contest was described as the "race of the century".

Philbo
Nov 21st, 2006, 09:14 AM
Ive known of Ian Thorpe since he was about 11 years old, my old swimming teacher also coached kids at Homebush in Sydney and she first noticed this amazing 11 year old swimmer swimming times that 15, 16 year old kids should be swimming. He was destined to be a special swimmer.

Im really sad he is retiring, but largely for selfish reasons..Thats 4 or 5 gold medals for australia in beijing down to the toilet..

I just hope Ian doesnt regret the decision in a year or two once he has had a good break from swimming..

xin_hui
Nov 21st, 2006, 09:41 AM
Thats 4 or 5 gold medals for australia in beijing down to the toilet..

no, not 4 or 5. if thorpe had swum in beijing, he'd win probably the 200 and 400free. that's 2. and given how the aussie mens relays have been swimming at the olympics and world champs, thorpe isnt going to win relays with them. so that's just 2 golds missed for beijing

jas_aussie
Nov 21st, 2006, 09:51 AM
11. his gay

ZeroSOFInfinity
Nov 21st, 2006, 09:58 AM
1. He is allergic to chlorine.

Now, this is ironic... one of the world's best swimmers is allergic to the chemical which purify and cleans the water :help:

rebel_ffighter
Nov 21st, 2006, 10:09 AM
Impressive facts

Yasmine
Nov 21st, 2006, 10:16 AM
I knew about 9.11 :scared:

fifiricci
Nov 21st, 2006, 10:30 AM
Sorry he is retiring, but fact no 12 is that he doesn't and never did look anywhere near as good as Daniel Craig emerging from water (see avatar) :drool:

mandy7
Nov 21st, 2006, 10:32 AM
11. his gay

whose gay?

:rolleyes:

mc8114
Nov 21st, 2006, 10:36 AM
11. his gay:ras:
11. He's hot :drool:

I knew about 9.11 :scared: Me too :)

Now, this is ironic... one of the world's best swimmers is allergic to the chemical which purify and cleans the water :help:haha, exactly my thought

SloKid
Nov 21st, 2006, 11:18 AM
Now, this is ironic... one of the world's best swimmers is allergic to the chemical which purify and cleans the water :help:
He could've probably developed the allegry through years of long practices in the water. :shrug:

And the 9/11 thing, he would've been there had he not forgotten his camera and went to the hotel to get it, when he was on his way back the planes hit the towers.

And yes, I've heard gay rumours about him. :p

Yasmine
Nov 21st, 2006, 11:21 AM
He could've probably developed the allegry through years of long practices in the water. :shrug:

And the 9/11 thing, he would've been there had he not forgotten his camera and went to the hotel to get it, when he was on his way back the planes hit the towers.

And yes, I've heard gay rumours about him. :p
that's what I've heard too :angel:

Kunal
Nov 21st, 2006, 11:46 AM
didnt know bout the 11th one...

Marcus1979
Nov 21st, 2006, 12:24 PM
no, not 4 or 5. if thorpe had swum in beijing, he'd win probably the 200 and 400free. that's 2. and given how the aussie mens relays have been swimming at the olympics and world champs, thorpe isnt going to win relays with them. so that's just 2 golds missed for beijing

he usually does the final leg so it would of been on his shoulders which he has done in the past. but the point is mute now as he has retired

timafi
Nov 21st, 2006, 12:37 PM
11. his gay

yeh and hot:drool: