PDA

View Full Version : Swimming Ace Thorpe quits racing

F-R-E-A-K
Nov 21st, 2006, 12:22 AM
Swimming ace Thorpe quits racing

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2006/11/21/thorpe_wideweb__470x352,0.jpg
Ian Thorpe announces his retirement from professional swimming.

Australia's greatest Olympian Ian Thorpe has announced his retirement from competitive swimming.

The five-time Olympic gold medallist, and multiple world record holder, has told a press conference in Sydney he is quitting the pool at the age of 24.

He told today of the dizzying heights and setbacks that marked his career as he announced that he is stopping his professional swimming career. He said swimming was not longer at the top of his priority list, saying there were things that were important in his life.

Thorpe said he made the decision on Sunday shortly after deciding he would not compete at next year's world championships in Melbourne.

"As of 2.53 on Sunday afternoon I decided I would not be swimming the world championships,'' Thorpe said.

"I also made a very difficult decision that day that I am actually going to discontine my professional swimming career.

"I'd been working towards this decision for quite some time. I'm a 24-year-old, and I'm only just 24 as well.

"I'm young enough to still see the new challenges and be able to accept them within my life.

"I'm also old enough now that I realise all of these accomplishments that have got me to this place in my life.

"I also know there is a lot of people out there that want me to keep swimming.

"I only hoped that I wanted to swim half as much as other people want me to.''

http://www.smh.com.au/news/general/im-out-of-the-pool-thorpe/2006/11/21/1163871376986.html

fufuqifuqishahah
Nov 21st, 2006, 12:29 AM
:sad:

best wishes!

Langers
Nov 21st, 2006, 12:31 AM
Could it be any more obvious he is gay? :o

fufuqifuqishahah
Nov 21st, 2006, 12:38 AM

lol what?

i've never heard him talk much before... does he sound it?

Langers
Nov 21st, 2006, 12:42 AM
lol what?

i've never heard him talk much before... does he sound it?
Yeh I'm pretty sure he is. Talks a bit like it, the mannerisms and he's already got some sort of fashion career. Plus when they asked who had been his greatest mentor over the last 48 hours he said there had definitely been someone but he didn’t want to say who…

Apoleb
Nov 21st, 2006, 12:43 AM

lol, I always thought he's gay, just from watching him preparing to get in the pool.

XaDavK_Kapri
He's obviously gay. But that's irrelevant :sad: I loved watching him swim, it was stunning everytime. Such talent ! I'll really miss him :( Good thing I have a few of his races on tape.

quasar
The Thorpe-do in a Spee-do retiring?

That sucks. He was one of the great ones, and his rivalry with van den Hoogenband, quite exciting.

Cheers,

Carlos

MisterQ
Nov 21st, 2006, 12:45 AM
Such a young age for retirement!

Wishing him the best in his future endeavors...

brayster87
Nov 21st, 2006, 12:52 AM
Who cares if he is gay.....lets discuss his personal acheivements and his retirement...

Eventhough i wanted him to be part of the Beijing Olympics, i believe that he chose the right decision to retire....Let's face it, he has lost the passion and drive to compete....maybe he will be a swimming commentator for the trials and beyond....

Good luch Thorpedo in what ever you do....What a great career. Well done!

fufuqifuqishahah
Nov 21st, 2006, 12:54 AM
FOR many years, questions have been raised that Ian Thorpe is gay. Those accusations have stopped worrying him.

"People can think whatever they want to think and people will tell you black and blue that I am gay," he says. "There is no basis for what they are saying. It's no big deal because that doesn't affect any part of my life.

"I don't care what people are saying in that regard because it doesn't mean when I get in my car I worry about what's going to happen today or am I being followed. It's not embarrassing."

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,,20186448-661,00.html

For the last time, Ian Thorpe today put on record that he's not gay.

"People are going to believe what they want to believe anyway," Thorpe said in Sydney today when asked about the persistent rumours regarding his sexuality.

"I have answered the question once (before) and I don't think I will ever answer it again because, quite frankly, it is no-one's business to know anyone else's business."

But Thorpe, who is taking a break from swimming following the Athens Games - where he boosted his overall Olympic medal tally to nine, including five gold - said he was flattered by the tag.

"I am kind of flattered as well," he said at a product launch in Sydney.

"It is kind of not a minority group but a group of people that there is a distinguishing factor that we don't have in common, and they respect and admire what I do and I think it is a very big compliment."

During an ABC Radio interview in 2002, Thorpe said he was "a little bit different to what most people would consider being an Australian male" but added: "That doesn't make me gay."

He also said he believed people had labelled him homosexual because he was articulate, had an interest in fashion and did not resemble the stereotype of the macho Aussie bloke.

The news editor of a Sydney gay community newspaper suggested Thorpe could become even more of a gay icon.

The Sydney Star Observer's Stacy Farrar said Thorpe's straightforward response to the rumours would win him even more gay fans.

"I think that there is a level of interest in the gay community in Ian Thorpe regardless of whether people think he is straight or gay," Farrar said.

"The way that he said he was straight without getting defensive about it would have made people like him more."

In July this year, a Melbourne artist displayed a controversial work which touched on the issue of Thorpe's sexuality.

The work was a collage of A4 pages and magazine cuttings, including a picture of Thorpe with an arrow and the word "gay".

A number of complaints were received and the artist covered the word.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/09/16/1095221725155.html

http://www.opinion.com.au/1044_Is_Ian_Thorpe_gay%3F.htm -- most aussies think he is gay lol.

maybe he is bi. he is cutting the corners.

-------------

anyways, i wish him the best for his future endeavors!!!!! he has contributed a lot to the sport and to the world as a philantrophist.

Langers
Nov 21st, 2006, 01:00 AM
^

Exactly.

wipeout
Nov 21st, 2006, 01:18 AM
Damn it! :(

Ah well, it's up to him of course.

A true great. :worship:

CrossCourt~Rally
Nov 21st, 2006, 02:30 AM
:sobbing:

DutchieGirl
Nov 21st, 2006, 02:49 AM
So what if he's gay or not! He just retired... which is good for Pieter :devil:

Nah - good luck to the guy. Never liked him much as a swimmer, but he seems like an OK bloke.

Dan23
Nov 21st, 2006, 02:56 AM
he owned the pool :p

wouldnt rule out a comeback though :lol:

darrinbaker00
Nov 21st, 2006, 02:57 AM
No Phelps vs. Thorpe in 2008? DRAT! :mad:

brayster87
Nov 21st, 2006, 03:05 AM

Agreed:worship:

TF Chipmunk
Nov 21st, 2006, 03:07 AM
No Phelps vs. Thorpe in 2008? DRAT! :mad:Thank god :bowdown::bolt:

Thorpedo :bigcry:

xin_hui
Nov 21st, 2006, 03:09 AM
good luck to the man :hug:

strangely enough, while i've closely followed and liked the aussie female swimmers, i've never really warmed up to thorpey or any of the current aussie men.

ZeroSOFInfinity
Nov 21st, 2006, 03:38 AM
THE 200M FREESTYLE FINAL - 2008 OLYMPICS

Michael Phelps vs Pieter van Hooganband vs Ian Thorpe

Is Officially Cancelled As From Tuesday 21st November 2006 :sad:

THE SWIMMING WORLD HAS LOST ONE OF THE GREATEST MATCHUPS IN ITS GLORIOUS HISTORY.

:help: :help: :help: :help:

jas_aussie
Nov 21st, 2006, 06:21 AM
:woohoo:

LefandePatty
Nov 21st, 2006, 06:36 AM
:crying2:

mandy7
Nov 21st, 2006, 06:59 AM

No more Pieter v/d Hoogenband vs. Phelps and vs. Thorpe anymore :sad:

The 100m final in Athens was sooooooooo awesome
I'm gonna miss that :sad:

^bibi^
Nov 21st, 2006, 07:37 AM

I wish he was :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

mandy7
Nov 21st, 2006, 07:45 AM
I wish he was :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

So you can hit on him and he'll fall for you? :shrug:

Jenny.C.Fan
Nov 21st, 2006, 08:17 AM
Shame :sad: , good luck to him.

skanky~skanketta
Nov 21st, 2006, 08:35 AM
phelps would have lost anyway.

skanky~skanketta
Nov 21st, 2006, 08:39 AM
girl, dont pee on his fantasies!

:tape:

:lol:

KimC&MariaSNo1's
Nov 21st, 2006, 11:59 AM
let him be gay if he wants to be

Ellery
Nov 21st, 2006, 12:01 PM
Thorpedo :sad:

Martian KC
Nov 21st, 2006, 12:23 PM
Why does every Ian Thorpe discussion on any forum turn into he's gay focal point?

timafi
Nov 21st, 2006, 12:40 PM
good luck mate:wavey: :worship: :worship:

Paneru
Nov 21st, 2006, 12:41 PM
Why does every Ian Thorpe discussion on any forum turn into he's gay focal point?

Becuase people have no lives.
Gay or not I think he handles it
well. Don't give them the satisfaction.

Sad to see him retire.

Yet, he definitely wouldn't be the
1st to change their mind and come
back. So, who knows.

^bibi^
Nov 21st, 2006, 12:46 PM

why not ? :p

^bibi^
Nov 21st, 2006, 12:46 PM

Because he's so damn hot that we gay want him to be one of us :haha:

mandy7
Nov 21st, 2006, 01:40 PM
why not ? :p

cause appearantely your extreme queerness is off putting
but that's just what 'ive heard
it's not even my own opinion
so don't go bashing me, i got nothing to do with what i think
i don't know you.

but i think some gay men are quite good looking, yet i dont wish for them to be straight
that's just lame

^bibi^
Nov 21st, 2006, 01:48 PM
cause appearantely your extreme queerness is off putting
but that's just what 'ive heard
it's not even my own opinion
so don't go bashing me, i got nothing to do with what i think
i don't know you.

but i think some gay men are quite good looking, yet i dont wish for them to be straight
that's just lame

MY EXTREME QUEERNESS ? :haha: Stop listening to Martijn, really :haha:

and that what's just a joke and I didn't pkanned on bashing you don't worry... Not all french speaking people are like Sluggy :haha:

mandy7
Nov 21st, 2006, 01:57 PM
MY EXTREME QUEERNESS ? :haha: Stop listening to Martijn, really :haha:

and that what's just a joke and I didn't pkanned on bashing you don't worry... Not all french speaking people are like Sluggy :haha:

I know, yasmine is cool :p

and, you were in hasselt, weren't you? :angel:

^bibi^
Nov 21st, 2006, 01:58 PM
I know, yasmine is cool :p

and, you were in hasselt, weren't you? :angel:

I was... so tell me who told you about my supposed extremed queerness ? :lol:

mandy7
Nov 21st, 2006, 02:01 PM
i was in hasselt.........

oh wait, Alex (bubba##) is cool too
for a french speaker

^bibi^
Nov 21st, 2006, 02:04 PM
i was in hasselt.........

oh wait, Alex (bubba##) is cool too
for a french speaker

and you found me "extremly queer" ? :haha: are you even sure it was me ? :p

Kim's_fan_4ever
Nov 21st, 2006, 02:05 PM
I heard it in the morning on the radio :sad: He was my favourite swimmer and i'll miss him :sad:

Pasta-Na
Nov 21st, 2006, 08:53 PM
he will come out from the closet very soon :devil:

Goai
Nov 21st, 2006, 09:07 PM
Bye Thorpie. Well maybe he did make the right decision, considering his heart wasn't in it any more. He's set for life though is he, with the sponsoring and everything? I wish him luck and glad that he'll aim for a more balanced life, the life he has been yearning for.

moon
Nov 21st, 2006, 09:55 PM
that's too bad.
I hope he's happy with whatever he ultimately decides to do.

new-york
Nov 21st, 2006, 11:24 PM
:sobbing:

^^^:awww:

tennismaster8820
Nov 21st, 2006, 11:28 PM
He retires so young, such a great talent! Like Janica Kostelic, he also won everything he could and has no more motive!

JUSTICE4ALL
Nov 22nd, 2006, 01:36 AM
Wow retired so young but it had a very great career, though Michael Phelps has been the best swimmer in the world for the past 4 years, but i'm sure his sexuality has something to do with this, maybe i'll come out soon.

DutchieGirl
Nov 22nd, 2006, 02:36 AM
Wow retired so young but it had a very great career, though Michael Phelps has been the best swimmer in the world for the past 4 years, but i'm sure his sexuality has something to do with this, maybe i'll come out soon.

Yeah Michael's been the best - but Ian hasn't exactly been swimming much the past 4 years - has he? ;)

Prizeidiot
Nov 22nd, 2006, 03:29 AM
Such a shame... really he's at the age where a lot of people would be physically peaking. Who knows what else he could have done?

But he really has done enough for swimming. His popularity really put swimming on the map more than it has ever been. And he's left some great memories. I still get shivers down my spine when I see that 4x100m relay at the Sydney Olympics, when he chased down Gary Hall Jr and set a new WR.

JUSTICE4ALL
Nov 22nd, 2006, 03:51 AM
Yeah Michael's been the best - but Ian hasn't exactly been swimming much the past 4 years - has he? ;)

Well I think Michael had something do with that! :lol:

DutchieGirl
Nov 22nd, 2006, 04:07 AM
Well I think Michael had something do with that! :lol:

Oh, not the fact that Ian's had Glandular fever? :lol: Come off it! I'm not even a fan of Ian (I'm a van den Hoogenband fan) - but be serious!

JUSTICE4ALL
Nov 22nd, 2006, 04:12 AM
Well Micheal already out performed both of them!

DutchieGirl
Nov 22nd, 2006, 04:57 PM
:haha:

Dexter
Nov 22nd, 2006, 05:14 PM
Thorpedo :crying2:

Best wishes!

LoveFifteen
Nov 22nd, 2006, 05:27 PM
http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/6306/ianthorpewk2.jpg

Definitely NOT gay! :tape:

Kart
Nov 22nd, 2006, 05:35 PM
http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/6306/ianthorpewk2.jpg

Definitely NOT gay! :tape:

LOL.

I wonder what 'new challenges' would convince him to quit so early :shrug:.

LoveFifteen
Nov 22nd, 2006, 05:38 PM
^^^

It's hard to train when your ass is sore.

Dexter
Nov 22nd, 2006, 05:41 PM
:speakles: @ that pic.

Still GO Ian! ;)

Kart
Nov 22nd, 2006, 05:52 PM
^^^

It's hard to train when your ass is sore.

I should have seen that one coming.