PDA

View Full Version : Russian spy poisoned with radioactive material

BUBI
Nov 20th, 2006, 04:05 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6165836.stm

The Kremlin has dismissed as "sheer nonsense" claims it was involved in the poisoning by thallium of a former KGB colonel living in the UK.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42336000/jpg/_42336718_thallium_hosp_203.jpg
The denial came as Alexander Litvinenko returned to intensive care following his poisoning by the toxic chemical.

Mr Litvinenko fell ill on 1 November after a meeting at a London sushi bar.

Mr Litvinenko, 43 - a vocal critic of Russian President Vladimir Putin - is in a serious but stable condition in University College Hospital.

Doctors say he was moved to intensive care as a precaution, after his condition deteriorated slightly.

Friends of Mr Litvinenko have alleged he was poisoned because he was critical of the Russian government.

Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said: "We cannot comment on the very fact of what happened to Litvinenko.

"We don't consider it possible to comment on the statements accusing the Kremlin because it is nothing but sheer nonsense."

Mr Litvinenko had been investigating the murder of Russian journalist Anna Politkovskaya, an outspoken critic of Mr Putin and Russian policy in Chechnya, who was shot dead at her Moscow apartment building last month.

Alex Goldfarb, who has been visiting Mr Litvinenko in hospital and who has alleged Russian government involvement, admitted there was "no direct evidence" of that.

He told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "He actually had a couple of meetings [on 1 November] where he had drinks and this poison could be sprinkled there."

Doctors had told Mr Litvinenko he had a 50/50 chance of surviving the next three to four weeks, Mr Goldfarb added.

On Monday, it emerged that a petrol bomb had been thrown at Mr Litvinenko's London house in October 2004, exploding and damaging the front of the property.

'Extensive inquiries'

Meanwhile, Scotland Yard said on Monday afternoon it was treating Mr Litvinenko's illness as a suspected "deliberate poisoning".

Officers were making "extensive inquiries" in their investigations including interviewing possible witnesses, including Mr Litvinenko, and examining CCTV footage, it said in a statement.

"We await the results of the toxicology tests and we are therefore not speculating as to the possible cause of his condition at this stage," the statement added.

It is thought results of the tests would be available in days rather than weeks.

Speaking to the BBC last week about his investigation into the murder of Ms Politkovskaya, Mr Litvinenko said a contact had approached him to say they should talk, and they arranged to meet at a restaurant in Piccadilly on 1 November.

"He gave me some papers which contained some names - perhaps names of those who may have been involved in the murder of Anna Politkovskaya - and several hours after the meeting I started to feel sick," he said.

Journalist Anna Politkovskaya was gunned down in Moscow last month
Two weeks later Mr Litvinenko was taken seriously ill and admitted to hospital.

Clinical toxicologist John Henry said Mr Litvinenko was "quite seriously sick" and there was "no doubt" he had been poisoned by a potentially lethal dose of thallium, probably on 1 November.

"It is tasteless, colourless, odourless. It takes about a gram - you know, a large pinch of salt like in your food - to kill you," he said.

BBC security correspondent Gordon Corera says while there is no confirmed link to the poisoning, the Russian secret service has been accused in the past of carrying out operations against dissidents in a number of countries.

In a book, Blowing up Russia: Terror from Within, Mr Litvinenko alleged that agents of the KGB's successor, the Federal Security Service (FSB), co-ordinated the 1999 apartment block bombings in Russia that killed more than 300 people.

Russian officials blamed the explosions on Chechen separatists and in that year the Kremlin launched a new military offensive on Chechnya.

eurotrek
Nov 20th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Don't fret.......BRISTOW, SYDNEY A....... is on the case.

BUBI
Nov 20th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Don't fret.......BRISTOW, SYDNEY A....... is on the case.:confused:

BUBI
Nov 24th, 2006, 01:57 PM
He died :sad:

Radiation hunt after spy death

Police probing the death of the Russian ex-spy Alexander Litvinenko have called in experts to search for radioactive material, the Home Office has said.

Mr Litvinenko's death, in a London hospital on Thursday, is believed to be linked to the presence of a radioactive substance in his body, it said.

The Metropolitan Police are said to be looking for any residual material at a number of locations.

The Kremlin has denied Mr Litvinenko's claims that it was involved.

A further statement will be made at 1500 GMT when the Health Protection Agency holds a news conference.

It is understood that the post mortem examination on Mr Litvinenko has not been held yet.

The delay is believed to concerns over the health implications for those present at the examination.

The Home Office said anybody concerned should contact NHS Direct on 0845 4647, who have been briefed about this issue.

'Sheer nonsense'

Friends have said Mr Litvinenko was poisoned because of his criticism of Russia.

In a statement dictated before he died, the 43-year-old accused Russian President Vladimir Putin of involvement in his death.

Mr Litvinenko had recently been investigating the murder of his friend, Russian journalist Anna Politkovskaya, another critic of the Putin government.

Mr Putin's spokesman Dmitry Peskov reiterated the Kremlin's earlier dismissal of allegations of involvement in the poisoning as "sheer nonsense".

Meetings probed

Before Mr Litvinenko's death, police said they suspected "deliberate poisoning" was behind his illness.

Investigators have been examining two meetings he had on 1 November - one at a London hotel with a former KGB agent and another man, and a later rendezvous with Italian security consultant Mario Scaramella, at a sushi restaurant in London's West End.

Mr Litvinenko, who was granted asylum in the UK in 2000 after complaining of persecution in Russia, fell ill later that day.

In an interview with Friday's Telegraph newspaper, former KGB bodyguard Andrei Lugovoi said he had met Mr Litvinenko at the Millennium Hotel in Grosvenor Square but vigorously denied any involvement in the poisoning.

Mr Scaramella, who is involved in an Italian parliamentary inquiry into Russian secret service activity, said they met because he wanted to discuss an e-mail he had received.

BUBI
Nov 24th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Spy's death-bed Putin accusation

Russian ex-spy Alexander Litvinenko has accused Russian President Vladimir Putin of involvement in his death, in a statement dictated before he died.

Mr Litvinenko, 43, who died in a London hospital on Thursday evening and is thought to have been poisoned, said his killer was "barbaric and ruthless".

Protest from around the world "will reverberate, Mr Putin, in your ears for the rest of your life," he said.

The Kremlin has dismissed allegations it was involved as "sheer nonsense".

Scotland Yard said officers were now investigating "an unexplained death".

Anti-terror police are leading the investigation, and it is still unclear what killed the former KGB agent.

Friends have said he was poisoned because of his criticism of Russia.

'Barbaric and ruthless'

In the statement, read out by his friend Alex Goldfarb outside University College Hospital, London, Mr Litvinenko said he had a "message to the person responsible for my present condition".

"You may succeed in silencing me, but that silence comes at a price.

"You have shown yourself to be as barbaric and ruthless as your most hostile critics have claimed."

"The howl of protest from around the world will reverberate Mr Putin in your ears for the rest of your life," the statement added.

The statement was dictated on 21 November, when Mr Litvinenko realised he could die.

Mr Putin's spokesman Dmitry Peskov reiterated the Kremlin's earlier dismissal of allegations of involvement in the poisoning as sheer nonsense.

"Any death is always a tragedy," he said.

"Now it's up to the UK law enforcement agencies to investigate what happened."

'Excruciating death'

After Mr Goldfarb had read out the statement, Mr Litvinenko's elderly father, Walter - who flew to the UK from Russia this week - said his son had been killed by a "tiny nuclear bomb".

Even before his death, in such a state, he never lost his human dignity
Walter Litvinenko

Obituary: Alexander Litvinenko

"It was an excruciating death, he was taking it as a real man," he said.

"Even before his death, in such a state, he never lost his human dignity."

Mr Litvinenko had recently been investigating the murder of his friend, Russian journalist Anna Politkovskaya, another critic of the Putin government.

Russian dissident Oleg Gordievsky, a former KGB colonel and friend of Mr Litvinenko, maintained that the poisoning had been the work of the Russians.

The Russian security service had "sent a man with a poisonous pill to Britain", put a pill into Mr Litvinenko's tea and killed him, he told BBC News.

Intelligence analyst Glenmore Trenear Harvey said Mr Litvinenko had "made a lot of enemies" when he had been tasked with fighting corruption during his time with the Federal Security Service (FSB) - the KGB's successor.

Mr Harvey also said the poisoning could have been carried out by the "Russian mafia", made up of former-KGB men who had formed the group when the service broke up.

"So I think that while one could say they were trained by the KGB this is not in any way a Russian intelligence service hit," he told BBC News.

London meetings

Before Mr Litvinenko's death, police said they suspected "deliberate poisoning" was behind his illness.

Investigators have been examining two meetings he had on 1 November - one at a London hotel with a former KGB agent and another man, and a later rendezvous with Italian security consultant Mario Scaramella, at a sushi restaurant in London's West End.

Mr Litvinenko, who was granted asylum in the UK in 2000 after complaining of persecution in Russia, fell ill later that day.

In an interview with Friday's Telegraph newspaper, former KGB bodyguard Andrei Lugovoi said he had met Mr Litvinenko at the Millennium Hotel in Grosvenor Square but vigorously denied any involvement in the poisoning.

Mr Scaramella, who is involved in an Italian parliamentary inquiry into Russian secret service activity, said they met because he wanted to discuss an e-mail he had received.

Speaking in Friday's Times, film-maker Andrei Nekrasov said that, before he fell unconscious for the last time, his friend had told him: "I want to survive, just to show them. The bastards got me but they won't get everybody."

Sam L
Nov 25th, 2006, 07:19 AM
Wow.. I saw this article on another board and have been aware of it but now it looks like this is going to be big news. Goes right to Putin huh?

MistyGrey
Nov 25th, 2006, 08:19 AM
:eek:

BUBI
Nov 25th, 2006, 09:33 AM
Litvinenko's statement

"I would like to thank many people. My doctors, nurses and hospital staff who are doing all they can for me, the British police who are pursuing my case with vigour and professionalism and are watching over me and my family.

I would like to thank the British government for taking me under their care. I am honoured to be a British citizen.

I would like to thank the British public for their messages of support and for the interest they have shown in my plight.

I thank my wife Marina, who has stood by me. My love for her and our son knows no bounds.

But as I lie here I can distinctly hear the beating of wings of the angel of death.

I may be able to give him the slip but I have to say my legs do not run as fast as I would like.

I think, therefore, that this may be the time to say one or two things to the person responsible for my present condition.

You may succeed in silencing me but that silence comes at a price. You have shown yourself to be as barbaric and ruthless as your most hostile critics have claimed.

You have shown yourself to have no respect for life, liberty or any civilised value.

You have shown yourself to be unworthy of your office, to be unworthy of the trust of civilised men and women.

You may succeed in silencing one man but the howl of protest from around the world will reverberate, Mr Putin, in your ears for the rest of your life.

May God forgive you for what you have done, not only to me but to beloved Russia and its people."

Alexander Litvinenko
21 November 2006

égalité
Nov 25th, 2006, 04:25 PM
:sad:

God, what the hell is the Russian government doing? :smash:

Thallium isn't radioactive, though :tape:. Sorry, chemistry nerd.

BUBI
Nov 25th, 2006, 04:27 PM
:sad:

God, what the hell is the Russian government doing? :smash:

Thallium isn't radioactive, though :tape:. Sorry, chemistry nerd.

I changed the title... later they found polonium-210 in his body.

égalité
Nov 25th, 2006, 04:36 PM
I changed the title... later they found polonium-210 in his body.

:o

Этo yжacнo.

controlfreak
Nov 25th, 2006, 07:13 PM
I don't see why this has to be such a big deal. Surely by being a spy, you are pretty much asking for it. Serves him right for making a poor career choice.

quasar
Nov 25th, 2006, 07:26 PM
Sam L.

Goes right to Putin huh?

Putingate, anyone?

controlfreak:

Serves him right for making a poor career choice.
Not that lousy a choice: Chicks dig spies!

Cheers,

Carlos

goldenlox
Nov 25th, 2006, 11:34 PM
From what I've seen on tv, everyplace he went after he was poisoned has been contaminated by the radioactive poison. They closed down the place he was eating at.

quasar
Nov 26th, 2006, 12:00 AM
What was it, a month or two ago when a dissident journalist critical of the Russian government got whacked? Could there be a trend?

Cheers,

Carlos

Selah
Nov 26th, 2006, 12:01 AM
Putin is the devil himself.

BUBI
Nov 26th, 2006, 07:30 AM
What was it, a month or two ago when a dissident journalist critical of the Russian government got whacked? Could there be a trend?

It is a trend... many politicians and journalists have been murdered lately. Putin's goal is to strengthen the atmosphere of fear and self-censorship among russian politicians and media.

Crazy Canuck
Nov 26th, 2006, 07:36 AM

Cheers,

Carlos
Whose murder do you think this fellow had interest in? ;)

Yasmine
Nov 26th, 2006, 07:59 AM
I don't see why this has to be such a big deal. Surely by being a spy, you are pretty much asking for it. Serves him right for making a poor career choice.
I have to say I agree with that :yeah: