PDA

View Full Version : The best british player?

Monica_Rules
Nov 19th, 2006, 12:23 PM
Who do you think is the best british player in terms of ability/talent/potential?

If i was making a top 5

1.Bally
2.Naomi
3.Anne K
4.Mel
5.Georgie

I put Bally ahead of Naomi cos atm i think its true. I think Naomi has even bigger potential than Bally but i don't want to count my chickens too early.

I've alwasy thought Georgie had great potential and now shes starting to get her game together.

Farina Elia Fan
Nov 19th, 2006, 03:33 PM
this is a tough question and one Im going to consider for a bit longer :)

Is it better to have potential and not reach it or better to maximize your own potential i.e Silvia Farina Elia

WIMBY
Nov 19th, 2006, 09:57 PM
this is a tough question and one Im going to consider for a bit longer :)

Is it better to have potential and not reach it or better to maximize your own potential i.e Silvia Farina Elia

Ditto

Monica_Rules
Nov 20th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Defo to maximise your potential otherwise whats the point in having that potential in the first place?

jazar
Nov 20th, 2006, 07:55 PM
Defo to maximise your potential otherwise whats the point in having that potential in the first place?

without a doubt.

i think naomi has the most potential

Mforensic
Nov 23rd, 2006, 10:09 PM
Bally all the way!!!!! Best serve and a very hard hitter!!!!!!!

Farina Elia Fan
Nov 23rd, 2006, 10:45 PM
1. Naomi
2. Elena
3. Anne
4. Mel
5. Amanda

I have neer seen Georgie play

but the ones who so far who have made the most of their potential is Anne imo and this is why I think she overall is the best GB player. If she didnt get injured back in 04 she would be top 100 IMO and would be constantly there. Elena could be top 50 or struggling in the 150s its all or nothing when she is actually fit so I think Anne would have a more solid career

kundalini
Nov 24th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Who do you think is the best british player in terms of ability/talent/potential?

If i was making a top 5

1.Bally
2.Naomi
3.Anne K
4.Mel
5.Georgie

I put Bally ahead of Naomi cos atm i think its true. I think Naomi has even bigger potential than Bally but i don't want to count my chickens too early.

I've alwasy thought Georgie had great potential and now shes starting to get her game together.

Naomi is the player that stands out, though her game is a wierd mixture of amazing serve + first groundstroke, and not much else. I guess the assumption is that in time she'll be able to protect her weaknesses a lot better by becoming fitter and learning how to construct points to her advantage.

Elena and Mel have weapons that can hurt decent players; something that Anne is in desperate need of, Katie too could do with bigger shots. I would be tempted to place Mel above Elena because she's younger and there's a chance she might develop an understanding of how to use her game so she can win matches when playing below her best. With Elena yes she can be very good but if she's not on-form her opponent merely has to watch while Elena gifts her the match with error after error. I know she's been unlucky with injuries but even when fit she's so inconsistent that it seems unrealistic to think she's going to resolve this issue, thought I'd like to be wrong.

Difficult to comment on Georgie. Her lack of height (compared to say Mel) is against her and while 200-250 looks well within reach, I'd need to watch a few of her matches against decent players to make an assessment.

So

because they have weapons:

top 100

1. Naomi
2. Mel
3. Elena

I guess the others need to find something extra, build their strength, develop their serves, learn to construct points in their favour, then top 100 might be a possibility.

I agree about Anne having looked a likely top 100 player prior to her injury but since then she's been getting destroyed against even the most modest of players ranked 50-100; hope next year is a breakthrough for her. At 25K level she's a great player.

Monica_Rules
Nov 24th, 2006, 02:52 PM
From the matches i saw of Naomi at wimbledon shes more than a one two punch person. She can rally quite well is not too bad at the net. but i agree her serve and put away seem her strenghs.

Her one two punch woudn't really explain her excellent junior results on clay.

Her main weakness is movement but she can work on that.

On the subject of Georgies height. i never notcied that she was that small she must be 5'7 or 5'8.

kundalini
Nov 24th, 2006, 07:43 PM
From the matches i saw of Naomi at wimbledon shes more than a one two punch person. She can rally quite well is not too bad at the net. but i agree her serve and put away seem her strenghs.

Her one two punch woudn't really explain her excellent junior results on clay.

Her main weakness is movement but she can work on that.

On the subject of Georgies height. i never notcied that she was that small she must be 5'7 or 5'8.

I think Georgie is 5'6/5'7 which isn't desperately short but I think I would be far more optimistic if she was 6'1. Those extra inches are worth a lot of points over the course of a season.

I watched one of Naomi's matches on clay and the wide serve (kick on one side, slice on the other) creates a huge space for her to hit her forehand into, with the option of wrong-footing her opponent by going back into the space they have just vacated.

Obviously Naomi can play tennis to a very high standard. But up against a top junior or a top 100 player her current defensive skills look modest at best, her volleys show some promise, her return of second serve was aggressive, return of first not so good, groundstrokes ok but not clear what she's trying to do (if anything) and movement needs a lot of work. At this point in time I expect her to become a regular top 100 player, probably have short spells inside the top 50 but would be surprised if she was ever a top 20 player. But then again my judgement may turn out to be hopelessly inaccurate.

With the others I think top 100 would be a real achievement. Hopefully they get there but staying inside the top 100 for a long period may be very tough.

Europe rocks
Nov 24th, 2006, 10:33 PM
I think the main problem for all the British girls is being able to stay healthy for a long period of time: Bally with her liver/back, Anne's knee, Sarah's been out recently, so if they can keep healthy I feel Bally and Anne could make the top 100. Sarah is a bit too old in my opinion, but you never know.

Inconsistency is another huge problem, so if Mel, Katie, Naomi and Georgie could start posting back-to-back quarterfinals, semifinals or finals, they should start rising the rankings again.

Top 5 British players at the moment:
1. Anne - good results in Europe lately :D
2. Melanie - good results in Australia
3. Georgie - working hard and could get close to the top 300 soon if she keeps playing like this
4. Amanda - good results, if a little inconsistent
5. Katie - played well lately

Overall top 5
1. Elena - so much potential, just needs a few good years
2. Melanie
3. Anne
4. Katie
5. Naomi

Amanda's game can cause trouble for some players, but she is getting on a bit. However, she could still do well, with no points to defend up until April.

WIMBY
Dec 13th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Bally
Melanie
Naomi

WIMBY
Dec 13th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Amanda and Sarah B could also make it in 2007

WIMBY
Dec 13th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Bally
Melanie