PDA

View Full Version : H Hardenne/Mauresmo, a great rivalry in the making

laurie
Nov 12th, 2006, 07:14 PM
For me it all started last year at the 2005 Canadian Open semifinal. They played a great 3 set match that night. The match had shotmaking, serve and volleying, great backhands, athleticism, fighting qualities. Now in 2006 they have been battling eachother for the big prizes.

I think it's great to see two women playing athletic, tough, all court tennis.

I also think with the history behind them in 2006 with the Australian and Wimbledon finals, I think neither player wants to lose to eachother easily, as we saw today, Henin was better pressing for victory, Mauresmo could do everything she could not to lose easily.

So I think this could become a great rivalry for the future.
Your thoughts on that?

Paneru
Nov 12th, 2006, 07:17 PM
Disregarding the element of
non-exciting personalities, yes.

I guess.

jazar
Nov 12th, 2006, 07:20 PM
i could be a great rivalry. they have pretty similar games-single handed backhands, not afraid to attack the net and volley properly (unlike some players who only drive volley).
to be honest though, i don't think its going to be huge, cos i think sharapova and some of the younger players, like vaidisova, will step it up lots more and they have the potential to beat both mauresmo and henin-hardenne. so really, this year may have been the peak of the rivalry

Wayn77
Nov 12th, 2006, 07:22 PM
Yes - Amelie v Justine are always good to watch, tight, close and ultra-competitive. There is so much going on and to admire tennis-wise. If everybody stays healthy you could add Kim and Maria to the mix and have a 4-way rivalry at the top for 2007.

Wannabeknowitall
Nov 12th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Mauresmo is 27. Justine has only confirmed two more years.
It could be a good rivalry but because of age and wear and tear of the tour, it will never be a great rivalry.

Mother_Marjorie
Nov 12th, 2006, 07:29 PM
Mauresmo is 27. Justine has only confirmed two more years.It could be a good rivalry but because of age and wear and tear of the tour, it will never be a great rivalry.

You know, that's the second time today you've made the statement that Justine has confirmed playing only two more years. As if you are attempting to make "retirement" an issue already for Justine.

So before you begin pedaling an early retirement issue for Justine (not shocked), let's see the quoted links where Justine states she ONLY intends on playing for two more years and why.

Shonami Slam
Nov 12th, 2006, 07:48 PM
you aren't getting hehuge rivals aganst ach ther every week anymore -
but considering today's biggest quantity rivalaries, it's already fairly behind.
the fact that they didn't meet in 2000/1/2 means they aren't going to get to the belguim rivalary or the williams one, but of 11 matches - 10 have been with both top10 players, 6 as top5 and 4 as top3.
that means that they met alot on top form, as opposed to others.
I'm guessing the top rivalaries at the moment would be Davenport/Hingis, because of the 11 consecutive matches as the world top2 ranked players, and the 16 consecutive meetings at finals (!!!)
the sisters met less than 20 times, so they rate only a bit higher than momo/juju, but they have that slam meeting bonus (9/14 were at slams!) the hingis/venus one was good because no one ever dominated - in fact, since venus first win over swiss miss, none of them won 3 tour victories in a row prior this year, and in this case hingis sought revenge very soon afterwards - rome.
hingis/serena one wasn't much.
the belguim one is nice - but alot of the matches were bad (11 of 22 were straight setters, only one had a really tight outcome - the berlin open clash in 03)
the kim/momo one is too streaky (7 fir kim in a row, now 4 for momo consecutivly)
that's just some though.