PDA

View Full Version : Will 2007 still be "wide open"???

tennisIlove09
Nov 12th, 2006, 05:24 PM
All year long, the press said every major event was "wide open".

Yet really, in the major events 2 players dominated: Justine and Amelie.

AO Finals
WB Finals
YEC Finals

So 3 of the 5 major finals, they played. They clearly were the two dominate players this season.

It wasnt as dominate as Serena - Venus playing in 6 of 8 Slam finals between 01 US Open - 03 Wimbledon, or Kim Justine in 3 of 4 major finals from 03 Roland Garros - 04 Australia, but it was pretty dominate considering the "depth" on tour.

Viktymise
Nov 12th, 2006, 05:32 PM
If EVERYONE is healthy and motivated then it will definatley be wide open as Mauresmo and JHH wont be winning as many slams

lindsayno1
Nov 12th, 2006, 05:33 PM
yes as there were so many injuries this year: WS were dead, lindsay was dead and so was kim

IceHock
Nov 12th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Next year will be the same as this year except you might see Kim and Maria in a few more finals, but RG is almost a guarentee for Justine, I like Amelie on the RA, and grass, hardcourts might be up for grabs.

Viktymise
Nov 12th, 2006, 05:37 PM
Next year will be the same as this year except you might see Kim and Maria in a few more finals, but RG is almost a guarentee for Justine, I like Amelie on the RA, and grass, hardcourts might be up for grabs.

It all depends on whether Vee, Serena and maybe Davenport are fit and motivated then Aus and Wimbledon are definatley not guaranteed to be Mauresmo's

hurricanejeanne
Nov 12th, 2006, 05:50 PM
Also will Mauresmo, Sharapova, and Henin-Hardenne remain healthy throughout the 2007 season?
Injuries come out of no where. And while they've had small injuries this season, it still hasn't affected their results in the big tournaments. If one or two of the "top players of 2006" get hurt and are out for a period of time, it may open the door for some other players.

To me, it seems to happen almost every year, a player or a group of players will have a great year and then they're injured the majority of the following year.

We'll see what happens.

MH0861
Nov 12th, 2006, 05:55 PM
No. Because Lindsay Davenport will win ALL 7 events she enters next year, bitches.

[/delusional]

John.
Nov 12th, 2006, 05:57 PM
No. Because Lindsay Davenport will win ALL 7 events she enters next year, bitches.

[/delusional]

I second that ;)

hurricanejeanne
Nov 12th, 2006, 06:13 PM

[/delusional]

LOL!
And possibly that 8 event she might play.
;)

Billabong
Nov 12th, 2006, 06:28 PM
Hopefully Martina and Kim can be among the main contenders next year:)

IceHock
Nov 12th, 2006, 06:30 PM
It all depends on whether Vee, Serena and maybe Davenport are fit and motivated then Aus and Wimbledon are definatley not guaranteed to be Mauresmo's

Last time I saw that was 2002, either way I don't see them winning the 2007 AO with basicly no matchplay.

tennisrox
Nov 12th, 2006, 06:34 PM
Justine and Amelie will still be making waves, Justine more than amelie. Sharapova, Kim, Kuznetsova, and Petrova will win most of the other titles. I think one or two of the youngsters will make a big breakthrough next year. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the newbies were to take a slam next year, and also some of them will win higher tier tourneys. Its time the youngsters stood up to be counted. 2007 is the year we'll really see the stars of the future start to shine. I never thought any of them would have a real impact in 2006, but they will in 2007. One player in particular will make a huge splash. She's been flying under the radar lately, but not for long.

Mightymirza
Nov 12th, 2006, 06:36 PM
Justine and Amelie will still be making waves, Justine more than amelie. Sharapova, Kim, Kuznetsova, and Petrova will win most of the other titles. I think one or two of the youngsters will make a big breakthrough next year. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the newbies were to take a slam next year, and also some of them will win higher tier tourneys. Its time the youngsters stood up to be counted. 2007 is the year we'll really see the stars of the future start to shine. I never thought any of them would have a real impact in 2006, but they will in 2007. One player in particular will make a huge splash. She's been flying under the radar lately, but not for long.

Amen!

Brooklyn90
Nov 12th, 2006, 06:44 PM
Last time I saw that was 2002, either way I don't see them winning the 2007 AO with basicly no matchplay.

serena won in 05 with basically no match play, and serena will play hobart before australia so she will have some match play

tennisrox
Nov 12th, 2006, 06:46 PM
Wait, I forgot to mention the williams sisters, and Hingis. I think the williams sisters will make something of a comeback. I don't think they'll ever be as good as they once were again, but they will reach the later stages of tournaments, and pose problems to the current top players. There are big question marks over their fitness, and its difficult to really say much about them. I definitely think they'll have a much better 2007, and will be playing more often.
Hard to see where hingis fits in. Definite top ten, maybe top five. Slam contender? Not sure. I'd like to see her continue from where she left off at the YEC, where she really showed the ability to compete with the very best. Can she improve enough to beat them more often? I really hope so. She'll definitely have occasional big wins, but I don't know how consistently she can beat the top-brass. I think she's getting the hang of the power game, and adapting, but i'm not sure she'll ever be able to really get the better of it. She'll definitely be a top competitor though.

jazar
Nov 12th, 2006, 06:47 PM
i think it will be reasonably open. clijsters will be a big factor til wimbledon but then she will tail off cos of her impending marriage. i think the GS will be dominated by sharapova and henin-hardenne, but the other big tournaments will be more open and other younger players like vaidisova will step it up

Wayn77
Nov 12th, 2006, 06:48 PM
The top 4 - Henin, Mauresmo, Sharapova and Clijsters when all fit and healthy are a top tier comparable to any era. Then there is a gap - can any of the others break through in the big tourneys? we shall see ...

Mother_Marjorie
Nov 12th, 2006, 07:32 PM
If EVERYONE is healthy and motivated then it will definatley be wide open as Mauresmo and JHH wont be winning as many slams

If this year was any indication, no one else has the physical or mental fortitude to challenge them.

No one.

IceHock
Nov 12th, 2006, 07:33 PM
If this year was any indication, no one else has the physical or mental fortitude to challenge them.

No one.

I agree with swami, except maybe Clijsters might but thats about it, their games are too good.

morningglory
Nov 12th, 2006, 07:37 PM
Depends on what you call "wide open..." :unsure:

Shonami Slam
Nov 12th, 2006, 07:55 PM
well - we've had all the above listed, the only questions is how will the russians mix in.