PDA

View Full Version : WTA Championships to return to Madrid in 2007

Brooklyn90
Nov 12th, 2006, 03:05 PM
MADRID, Nov 12 (Reuters) - The WTA season-ending Championships will return to Madrid in 2007, WTA chief executive officer Larry Scott announced on Sunday.

"It's been a fantastic week that has exceeded all expectations, especially in terms of the response from the public, with estimates of a 60,000 attendance over the week," Scott told a news conference.

"The general view is that this has been the best Championships ever.

Madrid staged its first Championships this year, only the second time in the 34-year history of the event that it has been held outside the United States. The Spanish capital also hosts a men's Masters Series tennis event in October.

Scott said that the 2007 women's calendar, which would include record-breaking prize money of over $62 million and a 62-event schedule, would feature a new tournament in Barcelona to be held in the week of June 11.

The tour will again feature two events in China and two in India, two of the biggest growth markets for women's tennis.

Scott also said that the WTA planned to make radical revisions to the tournament schedule for the 2009 season.

"We will be carrying out a dramatic remake of the tennis calendar which will end by October in 2009," he said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news?slug=reu-championshipsvenue&prov=reuters&type=lgns

goldenlox
Nov 12th, 2006, 03:21 PM
60,000 attendance doesn't sound like a big deal.
The NYC and LA stadiums have about 20,000 seats each
That's why they looked empty.

They are losing the US audience totally by going to Versus.

I would love to see US tv ratings for it.

Craigy
Nov 12th, 2006, 03:24 PM
I hope Serena gets there next year because I might be able to go :hearts:

Brooklyn90
Nov 12th, 2006, 03:29 PM
I hope Serena gets there next year because I might be able to go :hearts:

i know she will be there next year :yeah:

DarkchildSwiss
Nov 12th, 2006, 03:51 PM
thanks for the article and whirlpool signed a new three year contact. That is really positive but unfortunately 2007 will be Kim's last season and I hope that she wins another Slam or she will "only" be remembered as a 1 Slam wonder which is not true.

the cat
Nov 12th, 2006, 04:10 PM
This is dissapointing news to me. Tennis in America and tennis coverage in America is on the verge of oblivion. The WTA Chanpionships never should have left New York City and Madison Square Garden. The weekends were always packed and the atmoshphere was electric.

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Nov 12th, 2006, 04:16 PM
I would like the TMC in Madrid, on clay :) :)

Jenny.C.Fan
Nov 12th, 2006, 04:37 PM
A great decision by the tour, its been a fantastic success in Madrid and im really glad it's staying in Madrid. I think the girls really helped the tournament this week though, they put on a great show.

xulilixu
Nov 12th, 2006, 04:42 PM
I would like the TMC in Madrid, on clay :) :)

and helping Justine win each time?:lol:

Kim's_fan_4ever
Nov 12th, 2006, 04:44 PM
I'm glad to hear that. But I hope this time without models as ballboys :o

Princeza
Nov 12th, 2006, 04:46 PM
good to hear maria trying to say gracias again and catch thieves

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Nov 12th, 2006, 04:46 PM
and helping Justine win each time?:lol:

No , no . ATP Tennis Masters Cup

That means Nadal Parera winning each time . :)

goldenlox
Nov 12th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Did the YEC get a lot of media coverage in Spain?

Alvarillo
Nov 12th, 2006, 09:04 PM
Did the YEC get a lot of media coverage in Spain?

Yes

good news, it's been a fantastic week, very funny, and a crowd bigger than expected!!!
good news for Madrid ambitions for a mixed event
the WTA has left Madrid with an excellent opinion of this tournament, and players were really happy with the support!

!<blocparty>!
Nov 12th, 2006, 09:16 PM

MSG established amazing crowd numbers. After four years the Staples Center was dead for the RR matches and nowhere near full even for the semi-finals. It was empty because the tournament sucked, not because there were too many seats.

Alvarillo
Nov 12th, 2006, 10:11 PM
Lisa Raymond :worship:

"The entire tournament, everything about it has been wonderful," Raymond said. "The city has embraced us and embraces the tennis. They've come out to support the tennis and everyone who was behind the tournament was so well organized from the beautiful hotel that we stayed in to this facility.

"I've played in New York, LA and in Munich," Raymond added, "and they all had their positives, but this as a whole was just hands down the best."

die_wahrheit
Nov 12th, 2006, 11:57 PM
Lisa Raymond :worship:

"I've played in New York, LA and in Munich," Raymond added, "and they all had their positives, but this as a whole was just hands down the best."

Because the other tournaments were even worse. They had no local hero/ticketseller and therefore couldn't really sell the tickets. Same with Madrid, but it was a little bit better than in the past.
Such an event has to be sold out for the whole week.

And spanish people should learn how to use the Hawkeye and the electronic scoring system. One can rarely see more errors in use.

stevos
Nov 13th, 2006, 12:09 AM
I thought it was amazing in Madrid, and a great choice.

After hearing all the american commentators piss themselves about the future of tennis, they have to remember there is a world outside the US, and isn't tennis really popular in europe? I mean, they get great coverage on europsort, and there are tons of european players. Who cares if the americans suck, its a new era for tennis. If Madrid gets a better turnout, then keep it there.

darrinbaker00
Nov 13th, 2006, 12:17 AM
Because the other tournaments were even worse. They had no local hero/ticketseller and therefore couldn't really sell the tickets. Same with Madrid, but it was a little bit better than in the past.

And spanish people should learn how to use the Hawkeye and the electronic scoring system. One can rarely see more errors in use.
In L.A., they had three local heroes: Lindsay Davenport and the Williams sisters. That wasn't the problem; lousy marketing by the WTA Tour was the problem.

shibster
Nov 13th, 2006, 12:26 AM
tennis has moved out of america. and american crowds are really, at best, second best, LOL. at worst.....i shall reserve my comments.

where the top players are europeans, it's only sensible to put it in a european city. the atmosphere was electric, and the players really loved it.

this is one of the rare things that the WTA tour got it right. get out of imperialistic and increasingly isolated US, already.

thrust
Nov 13th, 2006, 01:01 AM
Good news! The fans were great and really appreciated the great play of Justine, Amelie, and Kim. Even BJK said it was the best ever! MSQ and the Staples Center are too big for tennis. This arena seemed perfect for indoor tennis. Versus did a fine job, hopefully next year, they will show the finals and semis live. Very well played final, both ladies were great and showed lots of personality in their acceptance speeches. Amelie was very entertaining, with a great sense of humor. Justine was sweet thanking the Madird audience for their support of the tournament and her. They seemed to really like her and loved her tennis.

DutchieGirl
Nov 13th, 2006, 02:48 AM

Hawkeye is slowly being implemented at tourneys, but you can't expect every tourney to have it straight off - it's expensive!

galadriel
Nov 13th, 2006, 09:34 AM
Madrid :hatoff: :worship: :wavey:

Exiliado
Nov 13th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Buena noticia para Madrid!!! :bounce::lol:
Let's look at the Top 20. The thing is that the YEC should be played in Europa. Madrid is nice and they will improve every thing next year, I hope.:D

bbypk
Nov 13th, 2006, 05:41 PM
60,000 attendance doesn't sound like a big deal.

They are losing the US audience totally by going to Versus.

I would love to see US tv ratings for it.

Madrid Arena has more than 20000 seats too... 60000 attendance its great for this Champs, though we had more than 150000 in men's event. WTA was expectating cause in Spain we dont have a TOP player. Women tennis has less spectators than men tennis in general and over all, if the week before was made a Master Series Event (u can see Roma - first week Master Series full... 2nd week Tier I empty).

All WTA staff was very happy with spectators and how we have worked for them. Thats the reason why next year we will make the event again.

pigam
Nov 13th, 2006, 05:49 PM
nice!
it sure seemed like a great tournaent for the players!!

Alvarillo
Nov 13th, 2006, 05:49 PM
Madrid Arena has more than 20000 seats too... 60000 attendance its great for this Champs, though we had more than 150000 in men's event. WTA was expectating cause in Spain we dont have a TOP player. Women tennis has less spectators than men tennis in general and over all, if the week before was made a Master Series Event (u can see Roma - first week Master Series full... 2nd week Tier I empty).

All WTA staff was very happy with spectators and how we have worked for them. Thats the reason why next year we will make the event again.

:confused:
Madrid Arena has more or less 9600 seats for a tennis competition ....
In the ATP they had more than 150.000 because there are 3 more days of competition and they count 2 sessions (day and night) in 5 of the 9 days.
;) but of course everything was OK in the champs and the WTA seemed really happy with the tournament, the city and the crowd

Uranus
Nov 13th, 2006, 05:50 PM
Great! :D

But they'll have to change the LINESMEN! and the model ballboys too. But most linesmen were totally hopeless.

Wayn77
Nov 13th, 2006, 06:00 PM
GOOD!!! :worship:

First-class job done all week in Madrid - and the crowds were terrific as well. Could we have a different colour court next year please - the purple was :p :p :p

goldenlox
Nov 13th, 2006, 06:02 PM
:confused:
Madrid Arena has more or less 9600 seats for a tennis competition ....
In the ATP they had more than 150.000 because there are 3 more days of competition and they count 2 sessions (day and night) in 5 of the 9 days.
;) but of course everything was OK in the champs and the WTA seemed really happy with the tournament, the city and the crowdThey might just be saying that.
The US is a big market, and the WTA are losing it.

Caz
Nov 13th, 2006, 08:47 PM
I'm just back from my weekend in Madrid at the YEC. I had a fantastic time! The tournament was really well organised. The arena was nice and spacious, with a great, realxed, atmosphere. The stadium was really full all weekend and the crowd were really into the matches. I loved the live music during the changes of ends. The model ball boys were a little silly, but, I can live with that!! ;) All-in-all, it's now one of my favourite tournaments and I'm soooo happy that it'll be back in Madrid next year! Even though I'm not a fan of round robin tennis and none of the top players are my fave players, if I can be free to go for the whole week next year, I will, cos it was just a great tournament! :D