PDA

View Full Version : HINGIS: " I don't regret for a second coming back"

selecta
Nov 12th, 2006, 08:57 AM
Hingis: No regret on comeback

MADRID: Former world number one Martina Hingis said that her performances at this week's season-ending WTA Championships vindicated her decision to return to the professional circuit after a three-year lay-off.

“I feel that after these three days I'm playing my best tennis again,” the 26-year-old told a news conference on Thursday after her three-set defeat by defending champion Amelie Mauresmo.

“I haven't played like this all season and these matches are the reasons why I came back.”

Hingis also lost to Justine Henin-Hardenne in three sets but beat Nadia Petrova and will make the semi-finals of the tournament if the Belgian beats Mauresmo in the final round-robin match.

The Swiss, who won the Championships in 1998 and 2000, decided to leave the circuit at the end of 2002 after being plagued by ankle and foot injuries, but returned to action on a full-time basis at the start of this season.

“I can only be proud of myself and I've done more than I expected in these three days. I don't regret for a second coming back.

“I've shown that I am capable of playing with the best and my aim is to continue like this at the start of next season. If I play more matches like this I can only get better.”

“I will definitely watch the (Henin-Hardenne-Mauresmo) match on TV and maybe live,” said Hingis

Jogi
Nov 12th, 2006, 09:08 AM
Martina :hearts: :)

Stavie
Nov 12th, 2006, 09:11 AM
:worship: Martina
great players always make great comebacks.! (Just like JuJu :bounce: )

Hope she has another year of success!Good Luck Martina :)

josemanuel
Nov 12th, 2006, 09:15 AM
Congrats Marti on a fabulous year!!!
All the best for 2007

spencercarlos
Nov 12th, 2006, 09:15 AM
Hingis: No regret on comeback

MADRID: Former world number one Martina Hingis said that her performances at this week's season-ending WTA Championships vindicated her decision to return to the professional circuit after a three-year lay-off.

“I feel that after these three days I'm playing my best tennis again,” the 26-year-old told a news conference on Thursday after her three-set defeat by defending champion Amelie Mauresmo.

“I haven't played like this all season and these matches are the reasons why I came back.”

Hingis also lost to Justine Henin-Hardenne in three sets but beat Nadia Petrova and will make the semi-finals of the tournament if the Belgian beats Mauresmo in the final round-robin match.

The Swiss, who won the Championships in 1998 and 2000, decided to leave the circuit at the end of 2002 after being plagued by ankle and foot injuries, but returned to action on a full-time basis at the start of this season.

“I can only be proud of myself and I've done more than I expected in these three days. I don't regret for a second coming back.

“I've shown that I am capable of playing with the best and my aim is to continue like this at the start of next season. If I play more matches like this I can only get better.”

“I will definitely watch the (Henin-Hardenne-Mauresmo) match on TV and maybe live,” said Hingis
There is a thead with this same info posted like 3 days ago.

Kunal
Nov 12th, 2006, 09:17 AM
thats exactly how she has to think and is the right to go about it

KimC&MariaSNo1's
Nov 12th, 2006, 09:46 AM
well i hope she keeps it up next year and pushes into a Semis of Aus

papru
Nov 12th, 2006, 10:14 AM
it's so sad she didn't make the SF :sad:

goldenlox
Nov 12th, 2006, 08:03 PM
You don't spend 209 weeks at #1 unless you are very tough,
both physically and mentally.

jenny161185
Nov 12th, 2006, 08:08 PM
thats what Im thinking aswell now her rankins higher she ll have good seedings and play more matches against the top girls - which as she points out - can only mak her better :) bring on Oz 07!

Craigy
Nov 12th, 2006, 08:11 PM
And why should she regret it? :cool:
She has made a great comeback!

goldenlox
Nov 12th, 2006, 09:51 PM
A player with Martina's great past results is probably not satisfied with 2006.
I bet she plans on doing better in 2007

doris_hdz
Nov 12th, 2006, 09:56 PM
Congrats Martina...good luck in the2007