PDA

View Full Version : Jelena's Awesome Week!

So Disrespectful
Nov 12th, 2006, 05:16 AM
Obviously it didn't end as we'd have liked, but if you have any logic you can see that she did well for herself. Anyone who thinks else wise is retarded.

She took 2 months off and had no confidence or match fitness, and she wins 6 consecutive matches in a week and was 2 points away from winning 7. Now by my standards, that's a good week for a player who is starting from scratch again. Forget that she was number 4 in the world, this is like a new career for Jelena, if you can't accept that, try to imagine that she is 15 and starting her career again ;)

I'm very proud of Jelena, even if everyone else isn't.

LefandePatty
Nov 12th, 2006, 05:18 AM
Sorry but losing in semis of a 10k is really :help:

StarDuvallGrant
Nov 12th, 2006, 05:20 AM
Whatever Jelena's been doing seems to be working. While unable to view any of the matches, it can be said her confidence is rising right along with her match play and I'm impressed with her progress and hopes she firmly gets back on track.

UncleZeke
Nov 12th, 2006, 05:28 AM
I think most knowledgeable tennis fans are very proud of her. It's not easy to start over. Hopefully, she will find some encouragement from Andre's example, when she has the occasional step backward. She can do it, if she stays dedicated to it ..

Jakeev
Nov 12th, 2006, 06:44 AM
Gosh I have a hard time agreeing with this thread.

Had she won the tournament easily than maybe I would be praising her too. But again we are talking a freaking 10k tournament and she has been playing all year.

The positive is, she is winning matches again. But she has a loooooong way to go.

AaronJoyB
Nov 12th, 2006, 07:54 AM
At least she showed up her will not like someone else that wan to comeback but NEVER comback:sad:

KimC&MariaSNo1's
Nov 12th, 2006, 07:56 AM
its good but not that good i just hope she moves forward

spencercarlos
Nov 12th, 2006, 08:00 AM
Obviously it didn't end as we'd have liked, but if you have any logic you can see that she did well for herself. Anyone who thinks else wise is retarded.

She took 2 months off and had no confidence or match fitness, and she wins 6 consecutive matches in a week and was 2 points away from winning 7. Now by my standards, that's a good week for a player who is starting from scratch again. Forget that she was number 4 in the world, this is like a new career for Jelena, if you can't accept that, try to imagine that she is 15 and starting her career again ;)

Then think a little on what Hingis has done this year after 3 and a half years off the tour,all of that despite not being a gifted power player like Jelena for example.
That being said Jelena is struggling as hell, playing against out of the top 300 players, she being a former top ten, and not being able to swept the field is really poor.

Rtael
Nov 12th, 2006, 08:09 AM
Gosh I have a hard time agreeing with this thread.

Had she won the tournament easily than maybe I would be praising her too. But again we are talking a freaking 10k tournament and she has been playing all year.

The positive is, she is winning matches again. But she has a loooooong way to go.

She's been playing all year? Why even make judgments on someone you clearly haven't been following?

die_wahrheit
Nov 12th, 2006, 08:39 AM
In these little tournaments there are really good talents and there are a lot of mediocre players.
Don't know anything about Besser.
Besser means "Better" in German.

So Disrespectful
Nov 12th, 2006, 08:56 AM
Then think a little on what Hingis has done this year after 3 and a half years off the tour,all of that despite not being a gifted power player like Jelena for example.
That being said Jelena is struggling as hell, playing against out of the top 300 players, she being a former top ten, and not being able to swept the field is really poor.

Jelena is not Martina Hingis. She is a confidence player. I've already gone into detail before and I don't really have time for that now.

Garvic
Nov 12th, 2006, 08:57 AM
The positives for the week are that she got some good match play and by the scoreline actually toughed it out to the end.

The fact that she is even challenged by other players at this level shows she has HEAPS of practic to do. Judging by the match reports she is hitting a tonne of UE's and DF's. I imagine she is trying to play herself in.

Once she gets her shots down pat and hitting well instinctively she will truly start to climb. She always did practice a lot in the early years so she has to go back to what got her ther in the first place.

Hope she gets there

Just Do It
Nov 12th, 2006, 09:56 AM
it will be better :angel:

spencercarlos
Nov 12th, 2006, 10:05 AM
Jelena is not Martina Hingis. She is a confidence player. I've already gone into detail before and I don't really have time for that now.
I just telling you a example.
Once again calling Jelena´s week as awesome is ridiculous.

When she enters a decent tier V, or IV event competing at least against top 150 players and end up winning as much matches and challenging those kind of players then we can talk about something awesome, or at least promising for her comeback.

A player of her caliber should at least go out as the Champion in those weak events.

hdfb
Nov 12th, 2006, 10:43 AM
But again we are talking a freaking 10k tournament and she has been playing all year.

yeh and i came out to my parents. :rolleyes:

moving on, yes, i am bitter that she lost in the SF, but i have to tip my hat off to Jelena for putting together 5 consecutive wins after a few months of disappearance, but MOST importantly, is that she is not tanking those 3rd sets.

vutt
Nov 12th, 2006, 11:45 AM
spencercarlos you don't have to went off your anger here in JD thread that your fave did not make into SF phase this week. Be nice and we all can get over our fave losses much easier.

A'DAM
Nov 12th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Yes semi of 10$ is such a amazing achivement :rolleyes:

iPatty
Nov 12th, 2006, 12:33 PM
i have a message for you delusional people jelena dokic fans:

she lost in the semis of a 10K to a girl ranked 630 in the world. that is NOT a step in the right direction.

vutt
Nov 12th, 2006, 12:48 PM
i have a message for you delusional people jelena dokic fans:

she lost in the semis of a 10K to a girl ranked 630 in the world. that is NOT a step in the right direction.

But she moved up in ranking list! You can't arguge with it :angel: It's indeed right direction :p

croat123
Nov 12th, 2006, 02:45 PM
my biggest concern is the fact that she was well on her way to losing her second round qualifying match before her opponent got injured

spencercarlos
Nov 12th, 2006, 03:00 PM
spencercarlos you don't have to went off your anger here in JD thread that your fave did not make into SF phase this week. Be nice and we all can get over our fave losses much easier.
As i said in another threads, the masters went into justice, because the best players of the year reached the latter stages, i don´t think Martina could have beaten or even challenged Sharapova in the semis, so i think the result was more than fair and i think Martina´s year was great, no matter if she had gone to the masters or not or if she had reached the semis or not.

Once again if you think it´s an "awesome" week from Jelena losing in the semis to a no one ranked outside the top 400, oh well that´s your standards.
Although i see the positives of Jelena winning some matches, i think at this level i don´t think Jelena is that bad in order to not being able to win this kind of events, and winning over this kind of players.

TS
Nov 12th, 2006, 03:03 PM
The positives for the week are that she got some good match play and by the scoreline actually toughed it out to the end.

The fact that she is even challenged by other players at this level shows she has HEAPS of practic to do. Judging by the match reports she is hitting a tonne of UE's and DF's. I imagine she is trying to play herself in.

Once she gets her shots down pat and hitting well instinctively she will truly start to climb. She always did practice a lot in the early years so she has to go back to what got her ther in the first place.

Hope she gets there

Good post.

Match play is what it's all about, and even though she lost, she went down with a fight.

I wouldn't call this an awesome week at all, in fact it is disappointing that a former top 5 player could not win a measly $10K event. But hey, baby steps.

SM
Nov 12th, 2006, 03:12 PM
I agree Terry. Even a player who has been ranked top 50 in 2002 should really sweep this field even if she hasnt played that much!!!

While im sure the results she hadhere arent great, im proud that our girl could swallow her pride and play 10k quallies. It is good she won so many matches, and if she keeps winning matches at this level eventually things will star to 'click' when she is used to winning again...

I dont know if she will ever reach the heights she once reached, but it will be nice to see Jelenas name back in the draws of all the slams again. That is surely something she is capable of if she keeps working hard and slowly works her way up...some aussie challengers over the summer season should help, she played her best tennis in recent times down under ie qualifying for aus open and also did play well for the first half of her match against Razzano before she lost focus..

new-york
Nov 12th, 2006, 03:14 PM
awesome, definitely not.

nice she's playin tennis though.

clonesheep
Nov 12th, 2006, 03:15 PM
Jelena is moving up instead of moving down. That's the right direction. We have to be patient. It's also a good sign that Jelena can win 5 matches in a row, which means she is physically fit and has the will to compete.

spencercarlos
Nov 12th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Good post.

Match play is what it's all about, and even though she lost, she went down with a fight.

I wouldn't call this an awesome week at all, in fact it is disappointing that a former top 5 player could not win a measly $10K event. But hey, baby steps.
Exactly i mean, is she rusty? Take more time off, train, play practise sets or whatever.
But this is Jelena´s coming back event, she is supossed to be ready for competition already trained and ready to kick butt on a event like this. But she does not :(
So are we supposed to follow the semifinalists of 10K events and then say oh they are doing great? :lol:

At least i have more appreciation for Jelena and think that a fully fit and trained enough Jelena should easily be a top 200 player, let alone sweep the floor against the outside of the top 400 ranked players.

mirzalover
Nov 12th, 2006, 05:57 PM
it's not a great week but she won 5 matches and thats good and she is atleast training somehwere so i think she is going in the right direction

**Jelica**
Nov 12th, 2006, 08:51 PM
I think it's a good sign and definitely a positive start. She just now has to build on it.

JackWalker
Nov 13th, 2006, 01:57 AM
she needs to play a lot more to get match and mentally tough. she needs to play something like two weeks in a row, and then a week break, two weeks in a row, and then a week break. she can't disappear like she did this year. even the austalian federation couldn't find her.

SM
Nov 13th, 2006, 04:04 AM
Exactly i mean, is she rusty? Take more time off, train, play practise sets or whatever.
But this is Jelena´s coming back event, she is supossed to be ready for competition already trained and ready to kick butt on a event like this. But she does not :(
So are we supposed to follow the semifinalists of 10K events and then say oh they are doing great? :lol:

At least i have more appreciation for Jelena and think that a fully fit and trained enough Jelena should easily be a top 200 player, let alone sweep the floor against the outside of the top 400 ranked players.

A fully fit Jelena top 200? Well a 16 year old Jelena managed to beat one of your faves in Steffi Graf.....she might be fairly fit physically, but if she was fully fit (including the mental side) she would be alot more than top 200 :lol:

Dominic
Nov 13th, 2006, 04:23 AM
Jelena is definately not in a great shape phisically, i dont know why but she has really let herself go in the recent year and its probably one of the reasons why she has done bad. Back in 2000-2001 she was in an outstanding shape and her movement was amongst the best. In 2002 she gained some weight but she came but in great shape in 2003. but after that she really let herself go and even when she attempted several comebacks, she was alsways in very ordinary shape. She should work on that really hard before hoping to achieve great results.

WhatTheDeuce
Nov 13th, 2006, 05:30 AM
She won 5 matches in a row having just resumed training recently, and was just points away from beating the eventual champion of the tournament. Granted its a 10K, but for Jelena I dont think it matters. I think the week overall will help her coaches assess her more and see where they can help her for the coming months before Australian season starts.

I wouldnt call it an "awesome" week, cause in reality we are talking about Jelena Dokic, and frankly she should have beaten everyone in this draw. But it certainly wasnt disastrous or anything. 5 matches won is 5 matches won. She has nowhere to go but up, especially since she's training at Pilic's academy where she will be forced to focus on tennis and improve, rather than bask in depression about a close loss. I'm just glad she's playing again and seems committed to making 2007 a better season.

spencercarlos
Nov 13th, 2006, 05:58 AM
A fully fit Jelena top 200? Well a 16 year old Jelena managed to beat one of your faves in Steffi Graf.....she might be fairly fit physically, but if she was fully fit (including the mental side) she would be alot more than top 200 :lol:
I meant a fully fit Jelena right now being top 200 to say the least..
Not that ridiculously low 621 ranking that she has today and not losing to the 615th ranked player :help:

~Eclipsed~
Nov 13th, 2006, 06:14 AM
I'm just wondering when she will play next...

So Disrespectful
Nov 13th, 2006, 07:27 AM
But this is Jelena´s coming back event, she is supossed to be ready for competition already trained and ready to kick butt on a event like this.

That's where you are wrong. Jelena has been playing for what, 3 weeks. She was testing her form, not trying to prove anything.

Just Do It
Nov 13th, 2006, 10:26 AM
I'm just wondering when she will play next...

great question...

spencercarlos
Nov 13th, 2006, 12:12 PM

Your whole reading makes perfect sense, but once again you forget to mention the type of event that she was playing in.
The handicap Jelena has/should have on a event like this is/should be HUGE, a former top ten player, former top 4 in fact, semifinalist of Wimbledon, winner of some Tier I events, going up against these field, no man sorry, it´s a shame that she is not winning this whole thing.
I don´t deny that she is in the right way, playing again, and showing up for an event is great, but the end result only shows how much work is needed to get back if she think she can be the player she once was IMO.

Exiliado
Nov 16th, 2006, 12:21 PM
She is playing, that's the point and she should keep playing. :)

Ryan
Nov 16th, 2006, 12:50 PM

Oh poor you. I'm assuming you've gone to spread your logic vs. retarded theory to everyone you know. I hope you dont have a consulting job.