PDA

View Full Version : Is Amelie the best net player currently on the tour?

tenn_ace
Nov 12th, 2006, 04:53 AM
The question may sound silly as Amelie won only one GS in doubles and has one other doubles title, but every time I see her playing at the net I think that this is really as good as it gets.

What do you think?

vogus
Nov 12th, 2006, 05:00 AM
I think there is not much doubt about that. Henin and Petrova are not bad but Momo is a level above them, and two levels above all the other Top 20 players in terms of net proficiency in singles.

Carly Gullickson is a fantastic singles volleyer but she is only #200.

G1Player2
Nov 12th, 2006, 05:06 AM
No

treufreund
Nov 12th, 2006, 05:16 AM
amelie's volleys were not that great against Hingis. amelie has more reach and a great overhead. justine has better touch volleys and a better, crisper volley. I think really HINGIS, JUJU and MOMO are all very strong at net in different ways. Hingis probably has the best instincts.

So Disrespectful
Nov 12th, 2006, 05:19 AM
Amelie can be a bit slow at the net and can't produce the best touch or angles. That said, she has fantastic reach and anticipation.

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Nov 12th, 2006, 05:23 AM
Best net player in tennis (including ATP)

hingisGOAT
Nov 12th, 2006, 05:36 AM
along with hingis, yes

northern lad
Nov 12th, 2006, 06:17 AM
i think mauresmo and hingis are probably the best at net.

and i absolutely LOVE an all court game

BarsonlyOne
Nov 12th, 2006, 06:33 AM
martina has won 9 doubles slams and 1 mixed. she has great feel and touch. but recently, more notably this year, i gues you really cant count the years before her retirment, i think her net game has been off. she misses easy volleys or doesnt put it away. i get so nervous when she ventures to the net these days. its not as reliable as it use to be..

and for mauresmo fans. she is not natural net player. she wasnt born with instincts like martina or touch like justine. ive been following her since 98 when she was coming up the ranks. and back then she was horrible at the net. so many volleys into the net. shes worked on it. and now shes great at the net. she wasnt always an all court player.

die_wahrheit
Nov 12th, 2006, 06:39 AM
The question may sound silly as Amelie won only one GS in doubles and has one other doubles title, but every time I see her playing at the net I think that this is really as good as it gets.

What do you think?
I think she is.
What has doubles success to do with it?
Doubles are meaningless for the elite. Is that too difficult to understand?

Morrissey
Nov 12th, 2006, 06:45 AM
Hingis is NOT the best net player in fact Hingis gets passed a lot at net. Mauresmo has better anticipation and a larger reach then Hingis. Mauresmo actually volleys very well. I think the best women volleyer is Venus Williams given the fact Venus is a three time Wimbledon champion.And Venus reach at net is better then anybody. When Venus plays her best she will come to net be aggressive and win.

Hawn
Nov 12th, 2006, 06:46 AM
I think Mauresmo is great at the net and has some feel. Henin and Petrova have great technique. Hingis has incredible instincts and can do the most with the volley in terms of touch and placement. Martina can also volley from unusual places. I remember her volleying from between the baseline and service line against Mauresmo at the YEC.

northern lad
Nov 12th, 2006, 06:47 AM
I think she is.

i think i understand... the elite focus on singles, because they'll make more money and singles are more celebrated than doubles. you can be a great doubles player, but not be so great at singles. for example, look at Samantha Stosur. she's No. 1 in doubles, but in singles she's top 30. She rely's on having a partner on the court. Left to her own devices, she's good at the net but would be so much better if Lisa Raymond was there. When you're No.1 in the world, you don't need to play doubles because you're doing just fine in singles.

i'm kind of drunk, so sorry if that is a tad incoherent.:p

Morrissey
Nov 12th, 2006, 06:52 AM
If Hingis is so great at net why doesn't she apply this to her singles matches? Hingis will volley against the low ranked players. However, I've noticed against the top 5 she won't or she doesn' do it enough.

Hawn
Nov 12th, 2006, 06:53 AM
I think she is.

In today's game not too many top players play doubles, but in the past it was an important aspect of the tour. I do think there is a correlation between good doubles play and good volleys. Think Navratilova, Hingis, Vicario, etc.

die_wahrheit
Nov 12th, 2006, 06:54 AM
I think the best women volleyer is Venus Williams given the fact Venus is a three time Wimbledon champion.And Venus reach at net is better then anybody. When Venus plays her best she will come to net be aggressive and win.

Venus is rather mediocre at the net.
She only comes to the net to put away primitive volleys.
She can do so because of her powerful groundstrokes.
She recognizes short balls, bad returns, comes in and puts away that thing.
But she won't come to the net with the prospect of playing a really difficult volley.

spencercarlos
Nov 12th, 2006, 06:57 AM
Hingis is NOT the best net player in fact Hingis gets passed a lot at net. Mauresmo has better anticipation and a larger reach then Hingis. Mauresmo actually volleys very well. I think the best women volleyer is Venus Williams given the fact Venus is a three time Wimbledon champion.And Venus reach at net is better then anybody. When Venus plays her best she will come to net be aggressive and win.
Yet again Venus does not contruct a point at the net, she goes there to finish it after a strong serve or groundstroke.
Hingis and Mauresmo, and especially Mauresmo chip and charge, sneak in and construct the point at the net.
By your theory Steffi Graf has an amazing volley because of the fact of 7 Wimbledon titles :rolleyes:, and that is not the case.

spencercarlos
Nov 12th, 2006, 06:59 AM
But she won't come to the net with the prospect of playing a really difficult volley.
:worship: exactly... Venus fans as usual will always say that Venus is amazing at the net because of Wimbledon :lol:

Hawn
Nov 12th, 2006, 07:23 AM

Venus, you must be kidding. Mauresmo is a tremendous volleyer, but Hingis has her slightly beat even taking into account Hingis' shorter reach.

Kirt12255
Nov 12th, 2006, 07:25 AM
If Hingis is so great at net why doesn't she apply this to her singles matches? Hingis will volley against the low ranked players. However, I've noticed against the top 5 she won't or she doesn' do it enough.

Hingis is too short and not enough pace on her shots to charge the net against the best. Hense why she gets passed alot as was previously mentioned. She definately has the "best hands" at the net though.

No, Amelie is not the best player at net by any stretch of the imagination.

Doubles has nothing to do with a net player in singles....Pat Rafter won how many GS doubles titles?:shrug:

jas_aussie
Nov 12th, 2006, 08:13 AM
sammy is the best net player

Dunlop1
Nov 12th, 2006, 10:03 AM

Are you on drugs :confused:
Venus a better net player than Hingis? Henin?? Mauresmo???

What do you base this on? Venus won her Wimbledon trophies from the back of the court. Venus could have never played a final like Henin and Mauresmo did serving and volleying almost every point.
(Doesn't make her a worse player. Her baseline final against Davenport made for very engaging tennis).

MistyGrey
Nov 12th, 2006, 10:36 AM
Mauresmo has a doubles GS?? when did she win one? :confused:

bandabou
Nov 12th, 2006, 10:56 AM
Not the best perce...but she's very efficient at the net and does win many big points at the net. combination of great anticipation, reflexes and reach....here's where she beats Henin and Hingis...has better reach than both of them.

faste5683
Nov 12th, 2006, 11:59 AM
Overall, I'd have to take Justine...based on the aggresive way she comes to net. She serves and volleys more than Amelie, chips and charges on return of serve, and has the best overhead/drop-volley in the game.

Amelie's might be better at the net technique-wise (and she's very, very good up there), but I'd have to go with Juju because of the aggression factor.

Martina? I just don't recall seeing her up there enough to really make a decision.

:wavey:

sugimomo
Nov 12th, 2006, 12:14 PM
amelie is the first women since novotna to win wimbledon because of her great net play, and of course her many other attributes. venus, serena,sharapova and lindsay won their wimbledon titles because of their power. that should give everyone an indication of how good her volleys are.

LegionArgentina
Nov 12th, 2006, 12:43 PM
Maybe Amelie is one of the best net players.. what about Raymond,Stosur,Vinci..?

frenchie
Nov 12th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Petrova is great at net too!

sapir1434
Nov 12th, 2006, 12:58 PM
she has a great tough at the net... and after Wimbledon this year I have no doubt she is the best volleyer.

Beny
Nov 12th, 2006, 01:24 PM
I agree. Amelie is the best. Better than Martina by far...
This week Amelie hit great volleys while coming to the net while Martina`s attemps were desperate...

Beny
Nov 12th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Maybe Amelie is one of the best net players.. what about Raymond,Stosur,Vinci..?

:lol: :lol: Comparing Amelie to Vinci..
I know you mean net play..but anyway, Momo is wayy better

rottweily
Nov 12th, 2006, 02:07 PM
No.

tenn_ace
Nov 12th, 2006, 02:16 PM
Mauresmo has a doubles GS?? when did she win one? :confused:

with Sveta last year? maybe i'm making this up?;)

rottweily
Nov 12th, 2006, 02:22 PM
she has a great tough at the net... and after Wimbledon this year I have no doubt she is the best volleyer.

Justine actually volleyed better in that final :D

MistyGrey
Nov 12th, 2006, 02:27 PM
Momo has never won a GS doubles.. last year she lost in the Wimbledon doubles final (w/ Sveta). Maybe you're thinking about that! :)

tenn_ace
Nov 12th, 2006, 02:31 PM
Momo has never won a GS doubles.. last year she lost in the Wimbledon doubles final (w/ Sveta). Maybe you're thinking about that! :)

i guess, i wanted them to win too much, so in my mind they did :p ;) :angel:

vogus
Nov 12th, 2006, 03:26 PM

i sign to this post. V Williams never comes to the net when she is going to be forced to hit a second volley, something which you see Momo doing time and again, and which requires a lot of confidence in one's net game.

Also you made the good point that success in doubles is irrelevant to volleying prowess in the singles game. Players like Vinci and Raymond are great volleyers in doubles but in singles they are useless because they can't cover the whole court.

Billabong
Nov 12th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Martina volleyed pretty well against Petrova and Mauresmo, whereas against Henin she missed a lot of them:o... But usually she can do anything with her hands, and when she's on she's the best at the net:yeah:

sapir1434
Nov 12th, 2006, 04:37 PM
Justine actually volleyed better in that final :D
I'm not talking only about the final but about the whole tournament ;)

Marshmallow
Nov 12th, 2006, 04:44 PM
If not the best, one of the very best.