PDA

View Full Version : I think now is a good time ...

Fingon
Nov 12th, 2006, 02:16 AM
to start complaining again about the ranking system and the elimination of the quality points (specially dedicated to GoDominique).

Maria won her 3 matches in round robin, reached semifinals.

Kim won 2 matches and reached semifinals.

Both will get the same number of points.

This is not against Kim, it doesn't matter who the players are, it's against the WTA of course.

if Mauresmo had lost to Justine, Martina would have qualified to the semis, with only one win, if she had lost in the semis she would have still won the same amount of points as Maria.

Doesn't seem to fair does it?

goldenlox
Nov 12th, 2006, 02:18 AM
The round robin is a flawed idea.
There are some very good young players.
Jelena Nicole Ana Anna C.
It's time to play a 16 draw at the YEC.

vogus
Nov 12th, 2006, 02:28 AM
points should be awarded per RR win in the YEC.

a player who goes 3-0 in RR should get more points than a player who goes 2-1. Likewise a player who goes 1-2 and fails to advance should receive more points than a player who goes 0-3 (and we know who that is don't we).

Fingon
Nov 12th, 2006, 02:28 AM

I agree, only that I don't consider it a flawed idea, I think it's a stupid idea.

That is another problem, but I was talking specifically about the ranking flaws.

goldenlox
Nov 12th, 2006, 02:29 AM
Stupid is probably a better word for it

Ntour
Nov 12th, 2006, 02:40 AM
maria and amelie missed out on number 1 get over it!

Fingon
Nov 12th, 2006, 02:43 AM
maria and amelie missed out on number 1 get over it!

I am a Justine fan :tape:

I don't like Amelie.

you missed a great chance to shut up.

DutchieGirl
Nov 12th, 2006, 04:11 AM
:lol: I was gonna say, isn't Fingon a Juju fan! :haha:

Yeah, I still don't like the no quality points, but with WTA being dumb as they are, it doesn't look like they will bring them back. :(

Dementieva_Dude
Nov 12th, 2006, 04:33 AM
I loved the idea of quality points because it rewarded players who played their way through tough draws, skilled opponents and tournaments that didn't have depleted fields

die_wahrheit
Nov 12th, 2006, 04:41 AM

no, qualification wouldn't be interesting.
8 players is a serious elite, 16 players are too much.

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 12th, 2006, 07:27 AM
why dont they copy the ATP idea :o
seems logical right :lol:

Larry Scott is a right :cuckoo:

ATP winner of RR match = 100 pts
winner of SF match +200
winner of tourn another 250

MistyGrey
Nov 12th, 2006, 07:56 AM
I kinda like the RR format, but you are right, the point system for RR is flawed.

Ryan
Nov 12th, 2006, 02:28 PM
I thought the RR format THIS year worked out excellent. There were some really good matches (hmm, Yellow group anyone?), and I think we really saw all 8 best players of the season - for the first time ever. (Granted I didn't pay too much attention to the last few, but I think there were a few withdrawls - correct me if I'm wrong. ;) )

The Crow
Nov 12th, 2006, 02:43 PM
I understand where you coming from. However the whole idea of this round robin stage is to get in the semi final. How you do it is basically not important.

So you can argue imo that the losing semifinalists get the same amount of points no matter what they have done in the group stage. It's like in all other tourneys: you get points to get to a certain stage in the tournament, no matter how you did it (in easy matches, beating seeded opponents, ...).

goldenlox
Nov 12th, 2006, 02:47 PM
They are giving these players a lot of money for being here.
The players ranked #9 & on are shut out.
They shouldn't be giving these players a boatload of points, too.
It's not fair to the players ranked behind them.
It's harder to catch them before these points come off at the end of 2007.

The Crow
Nov 12th, 2006, 02:48 PM
They are giving these players a lot of money for being here.
The players ranked #9 & on are shut out.
They shouldn't be giving these players a boatload of points, too.
It's not fair to the players ranked behind them.
It's harder to catch them before these points come off at the end of 2007.

Okay, we now how you feel about the round robin already :rolleyes: Cut it out, this thread isn't about that...

goldenlox
Nov 12th, 2006, 02:57 PM
I'm on topic. There shouldn't be a ton of points given, because 12 top 20 players are shut out from those points.
It's like a big money exhibition.

Sugar_Kane
Nov 12th, 2006, 03:04 PM
I'm on topic. There shouldn't be a ton of points given, because 12 top 20 players are shut out from those points.

Wel maybe they should work harder to get into the top 8.

I see the YEC as a way of rewarding the top 8 players who have achieved the most in the season.

pooh14
Nov 12th, 2006, 03:04 PM
i think this is a great for only for YEC, cause all the 8 top players are playing some high qualify matches.

i wouldnt like to see the best players gather only to be out in the first round itself. besides the whole point of RR is to qualify for semis, just like any other sports.....if a players qualify second, then she has to face the top player in the other group....i think this is fair :D

but the only think which i do not like about RR, is that players tend to tank maches once they qualify. i wonder if there is any way this can be avoided, cause it might not be fair to other players...

goldenlox
Nov 12th, 2006, 03:07 PM
Wel maybe they should work harder to get into the top 8.

I see the YEC as a way of rewarding the top 8 players who have achieved the most in the season.
Players like Anna C and Jelena J have been flying up the rankings recently.
Now they fall hundreds of points further behind Kim, who went 2-2 here.
It's not fair.
Plus, it's the top 7.
The WTA has the option of choosing the 8th. If Venus was ranked 20, she'd be in the field.

Ryan
Nov 12th, 2006, 03:10 PM
Players like Anna C and Jelena J have been flying up the rankings recently.
Now they fall hundreds of points further behind Kim, who went 2-2 here.
It's not fair.
Plus, it's the top 7.
The WTA has the option of choosing the 8th. If Venus was ranked 20, she'd be in the field.

They've never done that before, and I doubt they'd start now. If they cant make the top 8 they dont deserve to stay "close" to Kim.

selyoink
Nov 12th, 2006, 03:12 PM

It is an event for the best players of the year. Those other players while having very good seasons weren't great. Making it a 16 player field minimizes the importance of the tournament in my opinion.

goldenlox
Nov 12th, 2006, 03:13 PM
I'm not disagreeing with the best players deserving it.
They're giving out almost $3 million to 8 players.
They don't have to give them slam points also.

Sugar_Kane
Nov 12th, 2006, 03:20 PM
I'm not disagreeing with the best players deserving it.
They're giving out almost $3 million to 8 players.
They don't have to give them slam points also.

I think they do because they were the top 8 players of the year, the ones who did better at the slams and the other tournaments.

Anna C and Jelena J may have had great years relative to their past success but compared to Maria, Justine, Amelie and the rest of the YEC players their results haven't been YEC worthy.