PDA

View Full Version : Remember Amelie and Justine' first language is French

Morrissey
Nov 12th, 2006, 01:00 AM
People say Justine and Amelie have no personality but I am sure they do. You see they probably let their real personalities shine through in French but not in English. English speaking people are very judgemental and for some non English speaking people they don't want to come across as saying something foolish or stupid or dumb. So they are very careful what they say when they speak English. I think Amelie speaks slightly better English then Justine but they both speak excellent English. The English speaking world we expect everyone to speak English. But a person's true language they can be more expressive in. I watched the French Open presentation with Justine speaking and you could just feel the happiness when she was speaking in French. I have also heard Amelie speak French as well and you can just see the difference. So I don't think people should say they don't have personality because they do. Kimiko Date she can speak English but when she was on the WTA Kimiko was too shy and she didn't speak English much. So at least Amelie and Justine can speak English its just that they probably prefer to speak French. In a way why can't the English speaking world learn French? If you've ever seen Amelie on French TV you will see her personality.

UncleZeke
Nov 12th, 2006, 03:43 AM
You are right on.

Nicky2002
Nov 12th, 2006, 03:52 AM
:yeah:

hu2891601
Nov 12th, 2006, 03:56 AM
you're right!

treufreund
Nov 12th, 2006, 03:56 AM
excellent post!

DutchieGirl
Nov 12th, 2006, 04:07 AM
:shrug: I think Amelie has a personality in English...

Wannabeknowitall
Nov 12th, 2006, 04:22 AM

I agree she does.
She comes across as a charming jock to me.
She's very chill, she's always cracking a smile, she's able to laugh at herself, and she can also be serious when need be.

1handedwonder
Nov 12th, 2006, 04:27 AM
you are quite right, although justine does come off as a little shrill, she is certainly more expresive than she was, and amelie is actually very elequent and thoughtful when she speaks

guyinsf
Nov 12th, 2006, 04:33 AM
Justine is a bit emotionless when she speaks, French or English, so I can understand the criticism that she has "no personality" but to say that Amelie has no personality? The retina in your eyes is failing you big time! This girl is very smiley, gestural, animated, witty and articulate!

For some reason the American public is very big on over the top personnas. They like their tennis stars to be cocky, bratty, immature and down right rude! That's why assholes like Agassi (he was in his early days!). McEnroe, Connors and Roddick are so hugely popular with fans and the press. Anyone like anything less in the personality department, they view as boring or having no personality like Sampras, Federer. That's why Sharapova is popular, she's got that bitchy look with the rolling eyes all the time.

Morrissey
Nov 12th, 2006, 05:50 AM
People say Justine is "shrill" isn't that just plain sexism though. in a way why does a woman have to be "nice"? Why can't a female athlete just be an athlete? No one expects men to be nice so why do we? I think the criticism Justine gets is due to misogyny. Society just can't handle a strong woman. And Justine Henin Hardenne is a very strong woman. She maybe small at 5 foot 5 but she is a proud woman. She's overcome so much in her life to becoming a great tennis champion. As I said I believe Justine has a personality she's just guarded she has to be the media is very annoying at times twisting what a person says making up stories. Justine wants none of that she's focused on her job and that's playing tennis.

austennis
Nov 12th, 2006, 06:51 AM
Hingis, Clijsters, Sharapova are all from non english speaking backgrounds and are very entertaining, charismatic and funny in english so how does that work ?

DutchieGirl
Nov 12th, 2006, 07:05 AM
People say Justine is "shrill" isn't that just plain sexism though. in a way why does a woman have to be "nice"? Why can't a female athlete just be an athlete? No one expects men to be nice so why do we? I think the criticism Justine gets is due to misogyny. Society just can't handle a strong woman. And Justine Henin Hardenne is a very strong woman. She maybe small at 5 foot 5 but she is a proud woman. She's overcome so much in her life to becoming a great tennis champion. As I said I believe Justine has a personality she's just guarded she has to be the media is very annoying at times twisting what a person says making up stories. Justine wants none of that she's focused on her job and that's playing tennis.

I expect men to be nice - I don't cheer for assholes. ;)

pav
Nov 12th, 2006, 07:37 AM
People are analyzing Amelie and Ju
waiting for their personalities to shine right on through
but they see a shrimp who once raised her hand in the air
and a lesbian who sometimes sprints to her chair
they want a big bummed Williams
or a shreiking Sharapova
or Kimmy smiling like she's downed
a strawberry and cream covered pavlova

Some think it is having to speak in a foreign tongue
leaves their real selves unexpressed and unsung
but they are there to play tennis
they are who they are
both are playing in the final
so both must be a star :worship:

what am I saying:confused: :help:

Tylane
Nov 12th, 2006, 07:22 PM
Great video in stade 2/ Amelie's interview.
This girl is really sincere and smart. And I want just to ad I love Guy Forget !

http://sport.france2.fr/stade2/?date=2006/11/12&id_article=540

jazar
Nov 12th, 2006, 07:28 PM

so i do. its just not a very good one.

i'm english and i also speak french and german and i don't judge foreigners personalitys based on how they speak english. they shoudn't worry about whether they cock up when they are speaking in english, as long as it has a flow to it and makes some sense, who really gives a shit?

poldame
Nov 12th, 2006, 08:03 PM
Great video in stade 2/ Amelie's interview.
This girl is really sincere and smart. And I want just to ad I love Guy Forget !

http://sport.france2.fr/stade2/?date=2006/11/12&id_article=540

You will also see this interview in my youtube account here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FJGr7kZHi0

The Amelie speech at the end of the Masters 2006 Finale show that she has a lot of personality.
It will soon on my youtube account (http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=poldame) part 11/12 of the match

Poldame

Pengwin
Nov 12th, 2006, 08:07 PM
What was that joke Amelie made? She said something like 'is this car for me?' and everyone laughed for 20 seconds :shrug:

MinnyGophers
Nov 12th, 2006, 08:11 PM
People are analyzing Amelie and Ju
waiting for their personalities to shine right on through
but they see a shrimp who once raised her hand in the air
and a lesbian who sometimes sprints to her chair
they want a big bummed Williams
or a shreiking Sharapova
or Kimmy smiling like she's downed
a strawberry and cream covered pavlova

Some think it is having to speak in a foreign tongue
leaves their real selves unexpressed and unsung
but they are there to play tennis
they are who they are
both are playing in the final
so both must be a star :worship:

what am I saying:confused: :help:

I'll be damned. Is Pav actually praising Amelie and Justine here?

Nicolas
Nov 12th, 2006, 08:20 PM
Amélie :hearts: nice speech

Lionel Chamoulaut :rocker:

My sister says Guy Forget is hot...... :silly:

thrust
Nov 12th, 2006, 08:31 PM
I agree! Some people are more guarded than others. Justine is very careful when she speaks English so perhaps come accross as cold to some. I find her rather charming and to the point. Kim is a very friendly outgoing lady so is more obviously likable. Sharpova grew up in the USA, so obvioulsy she is comfortable expressing herself in English. Hingis, who grew up in Switzerland, probably learned English at a rathe young age.

timafi
Nov 12th, 2006, 08:37 PM
wether she speaks english or french she has lots of character:D
wether someone likes her or don't I for one don't give a shit and she doesn't give a shit either:lol: :lol: :lol:
so it's all good:yeah: