PDA

View Full Version : What was most unsportsmanship-like behavior displayed by any player?

bis2806
Nov 11th, 2006, 07:43 PM
In my opinion, the Miami incident between Maria and Tatiana was not famous for this. But it also showed the lack of emotional support Maria showed, as exemplified by the unmerciful crowd.

DutchieGirl
Nov 11th, 2006, 08:11 PM
:yawn: Rodionova is the worst for that sort of stuff. ;)

Bowser
Nov 11th, 2006, 08:15 PM
retiring in finals when losing ;)

and Graf in 99 FO final

jazar
Nov 11th, 2006, 08:17 PM
i think at the US Open 2005 in the semis when dementieva took like a 12 minute break in between sets against pierce. she almost always does that sort of stuff when she is losing. but as the eurosport commentators keep on mentioning, the players havent taken any breaks in between sets and i prefer it that way.

Piotr'ek
Nov 11th, 2006, 08:18 PM
bis is boring and repetitious :yawn:

jes_022
Nov 11th, 2006, 08:24 PM
Nice, another finger pointing thread for the different fan bases to troll about.

DutchieGirl
Nov 11th, 2006, 08:24 PM
bis is boring and repetitious :yawn:

:lol: :yeah:

Viktymise
Nov 11th, 2006, 08:25 PM
i think at the US Open 2005 in the semis when dementieva took like a 12 minute break in between sets against pierce. she almost always does that sort of stuff when she is losing. but as the eurosport commentators keep on mentioning, the players havent taken any breaks in between sets and i prefer it that way.

That was Pierce not lena who did that :rolleyes:

Kim's_fan_4ever
Nov 11th, 2006, 08:26 PM
:yawn:

Mattographer
Nov 11th, 2006, 08:28 PM
It was Mary, not Elena! :lol:

~Cherry*Blossom~
Nov 11th, 2006, 08:36 PM
99 FO Final.

But that behaviour did make for an exciting match :)

Erika_Angel
Nov 11th, 2006, 08:40 PM
Someone is obsessed with Maria :) How cute *squee* :D

I'll give you some clues:
1. His name starts with B
2. It ends with the numbers 2806
3. In between are the letters 'is'

Who could it be :shrug:

Ben.
Nov 11th, 2006, 08:42 PM
some one tryin 2 bag out players reputations again :rolleyes: pointless :yawn:

Justeenium
Nov 12th, 2006, 02:05 AM
Nice, another finger pointing thread for the different fan bases to troll about.

It's only troll if he's directing an insult at Maria. Bis asks a question here that can be expanded into a discussion. Besides, this question is open for interpretation to various players anyway.

Fingon
Nov 12th, 2006, 02:34 AM
Someone is obsessed with Maria :) How cute *squee* :D

I'll give you some clues:
1. His name starts with B
2. It ends with the numbers 2806
3. In between are the letters 'is'

Who could it be :shrug:

Another clue,

he included the number 2806 because 2, 8, 0, and 6 are the only numbers he knows.

treufreund
Nov 12th, 2006, 04:40 AM
Serena trying to intimidate Jelena Jankovic

Erika_Angel
Nov 12th, 2006, 04:42 AM
Another clue,

he included the number 2806 because 2, 8, 0, and 6 are the only numbers he knows.

:lol: :p

ETA: Oh wow Bis must've got a suspension ... :confused: I wonder what he did.

Rollo
Nov 12th, 2006, 04:48 AM
A few I can think of from the past

At the 1981 Canadian Open Pam Shriver cussed out Tracy Austin at the net because she thought Austin was a bit to happy about winning. Pam said something along the lines of "you F*** Bitch" :eek: and Austin cried at the press conference.

At the same event Hana Mandlikova got a fine for giving a linesman the finger.

Off court Andrea Jaeger got into a fight with a lesser known player, pushing her into a locker.

Back in the 1920s there was a bitter rivalry for the #1 position in Germany. Cute young Cilly Aussem was much better than Ilse Friedleben, but Ilse always manged to beat her. Mama Aussem claimed Ilse was hypnotizing her daughter. The two women got into an argument in public-then the fists started to fly!

Mama Aussem the boxing contest:boxing:
Cilly became Germany's first Wimbledon champion in 1931

In 1971 good friends Billie Jean King and Rosie Casals were playing the final of a big event in Los Angeles. Angry at a bunch of bad line calls, Billie Jean walked off court in the first set tiebreak. Here's the kicker-instead of being declared the winner by default Rosie walked off too! It was a double-default.

Come join us in the Blast From the Past-where WTAworld celebrates the history of tennis past:)
http://www.wtaworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59

Jakeev
Nov 12th, 2006, 05:37 AM

At the 1981 Canadian Open Pam Shriver cussed out Tracy Austin at the net because she thought Austin was a bit to happy about winning. Pam said something along the lines of "you F*** Bitch" :eek: and Austin cried at the press conference.

Off court Andrea Jaeger got into a fight with a lesser known player, pushing her into a locker.

Back in the 1920s there was a bitter rivalry for the #1 position in Germany. Cute young Cilly Aussem was much better than Ilse Friedleben, but Ilse always manged to beat her. Mama Aussem claimed Ilse was hypnotizing her daughter. The two women got into an argument in public-then the fists started to fly!

In 1971 good friends Billie Jean King and Rosie Casals were playing the final of a big event in Los Angeles. Angry at a bunch of bad line calls, Billie Jean walked off court in the first set tiebreak. Here's the kicker-instead of being declared the winner by default Rosie walked off too! It was a double-default.

Come join us in the Blast From the Past-where WTAworld celebrates the history of tennis past:)

Amazing people complain about today's generation when it was just as bad at times in the past. Pam's thing is a classic:lol:

As for Andrea Jaeger, the player she allegedly pushed was Renee Blount but I don't think that was ever proven true.

But Andrea was a definite hot head when she played the game.

Stamp Paid
Nov 12th, 2006, 05:40 AM

:rolleyes:
Roland Garros Semifinals 2003 has yet to be matched.

dreamgoddess099
Nov 12th, 2006, 07:24 AM

Liar, Serena did no such thing.:rolleyes:

MistyGrey
Nov 12th, 2006, 07:35 AM
Can anyone top Hingis' 99 FO final?

Garvic
Nov 12th, 2006, 08:02 AM
I am not a Sharapova hater but....

I always disliked her attitude after she lost when asked who she thought would win. She always responds 'I don't care.." I think this is a pretty bad response for an ambassador of the sport. Not sure if she still says this, maybe the WTA have trained her a little...

DutchieGirl
Nov 12th, 2006, 08:24 AM
I didn't like the whole Sharapova-Tati incident, but bis is just trying to turn this into a Maria bagging thread so... :yawn: ;)

gmak
Nov 12th, 2006, 08:45 AM
bis32545 you're so predictable :yawn: :yawn:

In The Zone
Nov 13th, 2006, 03:12 AM
I cannot believe Justine's hand incident. That I believe was where all of this actually started to be a thought in all our minds.
Secondly, Sharapova against Peer, wow. That was absurd. More obnoxious than Justine's but less important so Justine's is higher.
Thirdly, I love Jennifer but I've seen Jen give her opponents points when the linesmen get it wrong. I believe it was a Wimbledon 2004 or 2003 where she was up 6-1, 5-1, and she gave her opponent an ace after being called a fault. Jennifer / Serena. That call was so bad. Jen knows it, too. Jen had no idea what was going on. Oh Jen. :/ At least you helped bring the challenge system about.

Mother_Marjorie
Nov 13th, 2006, 03:16 AM
In my opinion, the Miami incident between Maria and Tatiana was not famous for this. But it also showed the lack of emotional support Maria showed, as exemplified by the unmerciful crowd.

http://video-games.elliottback.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/07/banned.gif

Piotr'ek
Nov 13th, 2006, 07:02 AM
banned :bolt:
:p

rockstar
Nov 13th, 2006, 10:11 AM

I always disliked her attitude after she lost when asked who she thought would win. She always responds 'I don't care.." I think this is a pretty bad response for an ambassador of the sport. Not sure if she still says this, maybe the WTA have trained her a little...

i thought it was more of serena going on about how she lost the match instead of her opponent winning it :tape: :p

but perhaps that's true cos when she loses she sprays errors all over :unsure:

Ben.
Nov 13th, 2006, 10:22 AM

:lol: OMG, can't believe today's unsportmanship like-behaviour like justine's hand or whatever is peanuts compared to what u just said. those times must of been very petty & firey.

Dorcas Monjimbo
Nov 13th, 2006, 11:53 AM
[QUOTE=Dorcas Monjimbo;9481825][I think Maria Sharapova lying that she was ready to play when asked by the umpire after Peer protested she deliberately served wrongly after Maria put her hand up for Peer to hold on. There was a replay on video and Maria was caught red handed as she had actually asked Peer to wait.

AnneSo006
Nov 13th, 2006, 12:56 PM
For me it's always the behavior of Maria when Tati got her injury in Miami...

Those 2 players know each other very well... she should have come to see if Tati was ok and support her... If it had been Maria who got an injury like that, I'm quite sure Tati would have come and not stay in the other side of the court...

rjd1111
Nov 13th, 2006, 01:54 PM
" The Hand l " By Henin against Serena

" The Hand ll " By Sharapova against Peer

Martian Jeza
Nov 13th, 2006, 02:01 PM
I admit her reaction was not clever at all but yet I didn't let her down : Martina Hingis RG final 1999.

MyskinaManiac
Nov 13th, 2006, 05:25 PM
2004 Charlston Semis Schnyder Vs Martinez... Schnyder refusing to shake Martizes hand at the net

Jen C at the 2002 AO final... and this I've got on tape; calling the linesmen a quote "Fucking liar" and dropping the 'f' bomb as means to join sentences.

And Myskina. Basically she's funny, but she's often right. States "Her Russian is vulgar" "I will not play if her and her father are around"... I think we know who she's taking about. And lets not start on the comments she made about Jankovic.

Poor Jankovic seems to be the butt of some unsportsmanship like behaivour... 03 US open vs Serena.

slk45
Nov 15th, 2006, 05:41 PM
i think at the US Open 2005 in the semis when dementieva took like a 12 minute break in between sets against pierce. she almost always does that sort of stuff when she is losing. but as the eurosport commentators keep on mentioning, the players havent taken any breaks in between sets and i prefer it that way.You have it exactly backwards. Mary took the 12-minute timeout (trainer+medical+massage) when she was losing to Dementieva.

Elena customarily changes her outfit between sets, whether winning or losing, and it takes her maybe 2-3 minutes.

Joachim1978
Nov 15th, 2006, 07:35 PM
Why did Schnyder refuse to shake Martinez's hand??? Juicy!!!

As for other bad sportsmanship in WTA history....Hingis retiring against Schnyder in 98 (I think) at the Grand Slam Cup - they were at 5-5 in the 3rd set, and I really feel that she wasn't injured at all, but just couldn't bear to lose to Patty.

Other players like Jennifer Capriati, Mary joe Fernandez and Manuela Maleeva would also frequently ask for injury time outs when they were losing.

Hingis was petulant and childish at RG in 99, but I do think she was RIGHT. If they had had the challenge system in place that year, and she challenged, I think she would have gone on to win the match.

Sharapova's blatant cheating in the US Open final this year - with the fingers, the bananas etc. The rules state clearly that no contact is allowed mid-match with a coach. If I had been the umpire I would have watched both players during the changeovers and then gone with warnings, point penalities and default, as if it were like any other offence.

MyskinaManiac
Nov 15th, 2006, 08:09 PM
The whole Martinez vs Shynder match was a fiasco. Schnyder repeatedly claimed that when a specific line call was made, Martinez would show the umpire the wrong ball marking.

Then there was claims that Martinez was having target practice at Patty at the net. Both just gave each other dirty looks throughout the match. And the outstretched paw of Martinez seemed to be refused by a dummie like attempted by Patty which really capped off what seemed to be the bitchiest match I'd ever seen. Big deal for a while there. Apparently Conchita had fueds with many players, but let's not start on Patty's rigorous juice diet which resulted in total isolation from the other girls and a dramatic ranking slump.

tae04
Nov 15th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Capriati on many occassions. Specifically matches against Serena. Always bitching about the crowd, line calls, calls she knew were dead in, just anything. When she loses a quick hand shake and she's off that court in 10 seconds. When she wins she wants to give Serena two kiss on the cheek and a talk at the net. She's so fake.

Her post match comments about losing to dementieva and myskina in grand slam semis.

Henin French Open 2003/Australian Open 2006

MyskinaManiac
Nov 15th, 2006, 08:29 PM
2004 Charlston Semis Schnyder Vs

Jen C at the 2002 AO final... and this I've got on tape; calling the linesmen a quote "Fucking liar" and dropping the 'f' bomb as means to join sentences.

I'm quoting myself here lol... but It's just soo important. I mean, this match was televised from 11am to 2pm... that's 'G' rating- General viewing. Who knows if kids heard, because I certainly did on the first viewing.

Seems that she really didn't move too far away from the gettoh like image I've still got enstilled in my head of her.

spencercarlos
Nov 15th, 2006, 08:49 PM
:rolleyes:
Roland Garros Semifinals 2003 has yet to be matched.
RG already matched and surpassed when Sharapova made her hand job against Peer in Zurich this year. NOw a claasic asking for time, her racket on her left hand, the fault serve, the quick run to the other side :lol:
And lets not forget her "yeah" when asked if she was ready :worship: You rule on this department Masha :kiss:

PD. On a side note her pathetic behaviour off an injured Golovin in Miami 2006, no need to explain.

spencercarlos
Nov 15th, 2006, 08:50 PM
The whole Martinez vs Shynder match was a fiasco. Schnyder repeatedly claimed that when a specific line call was made, Martinez would show the umpire the wrong ball marking.

Then there was claims that Martinez was having target practice at Patty at the net. Both just gave each other dirty looks throughout the match. And the outstretched paw of Martinez seemed to be refused by a dummie like attempted by Patty which really capped off what seemed to be the bitchiest match I'd ever seen. Big deal for a while there. Apparently Conchita had fueds with many players, but let's not start on Patty's rigorous juice diet which resulted in total isolation from the other girls and a dramatic ranking slump.
Conchita was not such a good sports either, you can´t forget how much she used to winy and bitch during matches when she was outplayed.

MyskinaManiac
Nov 15th, 2006, 08:55 PM
I think she had cry about losing against Pierce at the 00 French Open. She said something on the lines about: Anyone who plays her knows how long she takes in between points, it's no wonder that I lost

KBdoubleu
Nov 15th, 2006, 08:57 PM
2004 Charlston Semis Schnyder Vs Martinez... Schnyder refusing to shake Martizes hand at the net

And Myskina. Basically she's funny, but she's often right. States "Her Russian is vulgar" "I will not play if her and her father are around"... I think we know who she's taking about. And lets not start on the comments she made about Jankovic.

Poor Jankovic seems to be the butt of some unsportsmanship like behaivour... 03 US open vs Serena.

...Serena didn't play the '03 US Open

MyskinaManiac
Nov 15th, 2006, 08:59 PM
I'm not 100%, Im only reading this from this thread a few pages back... but I'd heard about this instance previously.

MyskinaManiac
Nov 15th, 2006, 09:03 PM
Someones got their wires crossed, it was San Diego 04

KBdoubleu
Nov 15th, 2006, 09:16 PM
Sorry but what did Serena do? I don't ever remember hearing of such an instance

Garvic
Nov 16th, 2006, 07:53 AM

What's the go here, because of this post I have reputation well into the -ve 6 figures!!

die_wahrheit
Nov 16th, 2006, 01:10 PM
Playing as a man in women's tennis.

And second, drug abuse.

Princeza
Nov 16th, 2006, 01:14 PM
i love maria but i was disappointed against peer