PDA

View Full Version : Too little too late for Amelie

Morrissey
Nov 11th, 2006, 04:16 PM
I think losing to Davenport, and then the bagels against Maria at the US OPEN and Svetlana at the China Open final cost Amelie that no.1 ranking. I understand she was injured in Zurich and just didn't play well in Moscow. But to be no.1 you can't be losing matches like her 6-1 5-2 lead against Vaidasova in Moscow. There were a lot of points she lost in those events. Amelie had a great year but clearly Justine is the no.1 player in the world due to her incredible consistency week in and week out. I think Justine only lost twice this year before a final and that was two Semifinal finishes in Indian Wells and Charleston. To be no.1 its all about being the most consistent week in and week out. And Justine wins in that department over Amelie.

goldenlox
Nov 11th, 2006, 04:19 PM
The reason Amelie is not #1 is the ranking system.
Winning a major should be double the points of losing the final.
It's double the money, not the points.

floco
Nov 11th, 2006, 04:21 PM
JHH lost 1st or 2nd round against Craybas or another American... was it in Miami?
And YES, Mauresmo had a bad fall. But again, she's winning the important ones. But I see your point.

Wannabeknowitall
Nov 11th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Actually I would blame Vaidisova for messing up Amelie getting to number one.
The lost at the French Open and Moscow cost her more than anything.

shibster
Nov 11th, 2006, 04:26 PM
i'm so angry at all the people who have beaten amelie, this has cost her the year end number 1 ranking. these people are so despicable to beat amelie. they should have tanked and give her the crown. ;)

IceHock
Nov 11th, 2006, 04:27 PM
To tell you the truth, I don't think Amelie cares anymore if she's number 1 because she has already been it, she goes out there to win tourneys and she does, so I think that means more to her.

Morrissey
Nov 11th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Yes those two horrible performances against Viadasova were horrendous. Amelie crying in the third set at the French Open was very bad she really mentally cracked under the pressure. And losing to Nicole with that 6-1 5-2 lead in Moscow another mental flame out for Amelie. This is Amelie's problem she needs to figure out a way to keep it together in those kinds of situations. Losing to Nicole in Moscow was her last chance to finish no.1 but winning only 4 titles this year is not going to get the job done.

JulesVerne
Nov 11th, 2006, 04:28 PM

Actually Justine has played less events than Amelie and has more points each event. If not for injury Justine would have had the world number 1 confirmed before the year end event. In reality reaching 4 grand slam finals and winning 1 even if the runner up receives half the points still means a lot of points.

I think Justine will end the year with most prizemoney. Below are figures pre-year end event.

http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/2/rankings/prizemoney/

goldenlox
Nov 11th, 2006, 06:56 PM
I don't care about the # of events.
Look who Sharapova beat in Zurich. That was a joke 300 points.
What matters to the elite players are winning majors,
and Amelie was clearly the best at winning majors this year.

Mother_Marjorie
Nov 11th, 2006, 07:04 PM

The reason why Amelie didn't finish the season as #1 was her inability to play well in smaller events.

esquímaux
Nov 11th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Amelie rox and that's all you need to know :angel:

goldenlox
Nov 11th, 2006, 07:12 PM
What does Sydney or Eastbourne mean when she wins the AO and Wimbledon?
Which 2 titles would you rather have, those 2 Tier II's or those 2 majors?

DutchieGirl
Nov 11th, 2006, 08:15 PM
Actually Justine has played less events than Amelie and has more points each event. If not for injury Justine would have had the world number 1 confirmed before the year end event. In reality reaching 4 grand slam finals and winning 1 even if the runner up receives half the points still means a lot of points.

I think Justine will end the year with most prizemoney. Below are figures pre-year end event.

http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/2/rankings/prizemoney/

Really, Justine got more points than Amelie in the AO and Wimby did she? That's interesting - HOW? :p (btw, Amelie won 2 GSs this year). ;)

It will be interesting to see how things go next year with the (yet again) new points system). ;)

PLP
Nov 11th, 2006, 08:21 PM
Well, I think Nikki deserves a little more credit...I saw both of those matches and she really played wonderfully! She is the type of player that can beat Momo, it wasn't that She just chocked away those matches.

Yes, I am sure she would have loved to end the year at #1, but as others have stated, I think she is more concerned with titles now!

Ben.
Nov 11th, 2006, 08:32 PM
The reason why Amelie didn't finish the season as #1 was her inability to play well in smaller events.

true. justine was the more consistent than amelie in the other events apart from the slams & won more events than amelie in the others. so i that's how i see it.

Ben.
Nov 11th, 2006, 08:38 PM
I don't care about the # of events.
Look who Sharapova beat in Zurich. That was a joke 300 points.
What matters to the elite players are winning majors,
and Amelie was clearly the best at winning majors this year.

eh, if the tour only had the slam events & none of the others then the rankings would be pointless. u need the other tour events 2 make up the season, determine who's ranked & how well a player does consistently in a season. slams r important but so r the others like tier I's & tier II's so u need 2do well all the time. consistency in the other events counts big these days let me tell u.

Yasmine
Nov 11th, 2006, 08:39 PM
To tell you the truth, I don't think Amelie cares anymore if she's number 1 because she has already been it, she goes out there to win tourneys and she does, so I think that means more to her.
I think you're spot on :yeah:
Amelie rox and that's all you need to know :angel:
:lol: well said! :devil:

What does Sydney or Eastbourne mean when she wins the AO and Wimbledon?
Which 2 titles would you rather have, those 2 Tier II's or those 2 majors?
yes I'm wondering too what would any player choose :scratch:

Derek.
Nov 11th, 2006, 08:43 PM
Nicole! :D :hearts: :worship:

GoDominique
Nov 11th, 2006, 09:10 PM
She probably couldn't care less right now.

die_wahrheit
Nov 11th, 2006, 09:55 PM
No problem for Mauresmo, she didn't really fight for the No 1.
Quitted some tournaments, played badly.

Now at the major tournament, and of course, championships is a major tournament, she's back and wins this thing.
If so, nobody can dispute, that this was Mauresmo's year.

Although I hate her face and I don't really like her.

Yasmine
Nov 11th, 2006, 10:28 PM
No problem for Mauresmo, she didn't really fight for the No 1.
Quitted some tournaments, played badly.

Now at the major tournament, and of course, championships is a major tournament, she's back and wins this thing.
If so, nobody can dispute, that this was Mauresmo's year.

Although I hate her face and I don't really like her.
pretty honest and pretty classy :worship: