PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with Kim?

Steffica Greles
Nov 11th, 2006, 04:14 PM
Amelie seems to have her number.

Three years ago, or even one year ago, Kim owned Amelie and the balance of their head-to-head this year would have been unthinkable. She was steadier, marginally quicker, although both are extremely fast, and more powerful. It seemed Amelie had no weapons with which to hurt Kim.

Kim's just not been the same player this year. She's still basically very good, but she's not as competitive. There's an edge that has been blunted. Injuries have worn her down mentally as well as physically. And, of course, she's probably placing herself under too much pressure to be successful before her self-imposed deadline.

I have a feeling she will extend. I really cannot believe she will walk away from the game at 24 with so much potential unfulfilled. Maybe she needs to chat to Martina Hingis, Monica Seles or Jennifer Capriati. Or even Tracy Austin. If she waves goodbye to the game next year she will regret it -- even if she does become a mother.

There's also a resonance of, of all people, Britney Spears in Kim's plans. She has known some bloke five minutes and immediately she wants to settle down with him so that she can enjoy motherhood and possibly assuage an inner-emptiness which tennis cannot fill. Kim is a sociable, gregarious woman who was in a relationship from the age of seventeen, so being single was probably difficult for her. And even in a relationship, there can still be loneliness, particularly in the lifestyle she has pursued. She probably feels that a baby will rectify all that.

But I just feel that in a few years' time, as many mothers will tell you, Kim will feel trapped and regretful if she embarks on the course she has been contemplating. Almost no mother would trade their children in, but women have burning desires too, and children will not always smother them.

tennisrox
Nov 11th, 2006, 04:18 PM
There was nothing wrong with kim today. Amelie has just sorted out her head, and finally found her game. She was the better player.
But like you, I really hope that Kim doesn't retire at the end of next year. She is just too good a player to retire so young. She can achieve so much more. Its her personal decision, but I hope she reconsiders. It would be a great loss to the tour.

muniu
Nov 11th, 2006, 04:27 PM
fucin wrist injury :sad:

buckyohare
Nov 11th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Nothing's wrong with Kim. It's Amelie. She has developped into a terrific grinder. At the moment, she played that high percentage game really well, even better than Hingis. Not easy on the eye(imo), but very effective

Kim on the other hand still played the same game. Justine figured her out years ago. Mauresmo has done it by now.

Wannabeknowitall
Nov 11th, 2006, 04:35 PM
There's nothing wrong with Kim.
I think she deserves more credit than you give her.
She's working on her serve for it to be more of a weapon.
She was working for her backhand to become as much of a weapon as her forehand until the wrist injury in Montreal happened.

She's moving as good as she has before.
She's trying to get better for her last year but at the same time, players like Mauresmo and Justine have played better than her at the bigger tournis lately.
I think she knows she can't keep up forever

FrenchY52
Nov 11th, 2006, 04:38 PM
fucin wrist injury :sad:

:tape: :tape:

Amélie was really weaker than the bests but she's improved more these years

Beny
Nov 11th, 2006, 04:42 PM
I think Amelie has played incredible tennis recently. Kim tried hard but Amelie was better.
I just can not say more. Amelie is :eek:

Kart
Nov 11th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Kim has already lived the life that many mothers would dream of before they had their kids.

There's nothing wrong with her - she's just a bit short of match play and Amelie is not the same player she was three years ago.

xin_hui
geez, why did i know such threads would come up :o

like the rest of the respondents to the thread, there's nothing wrong with Kim, it's Amelie. it doesnt take a genius to figure out how much amelie's improved the past year. she's been phenomenal :worship:

yes, kim's lost 4 straight to amelie, but 3 of them have been 3-setters which suggest Kim did have her chances, and has not been blown off the court. (heck, one of the losses was a retirement!).

while i'm disappointed with kim's losses, i'm going to admit amelie has just improved so much, and all credit to her. :yeah:

MinnyGophers
Nothing wrong with Kim. Have you seen the match? She played unbelievably.
Amelie is the one who changed over the years and finally reached her true potential. She was the best out there today. And this is coming from someone who supports both Kim and Amelie equally.

Uranus
Nov 11th, 2006, 04:49 PM
Kim is certainly not to blame today, she did great except for a huge lack of concentration at the beginning of the match.

It was a beautiful match, credit to Amelie for being great in the last set especially. Too bad Kim couldn't keep her break of serve :sad:

Morrissey
Nov 11th, 2006, 04:50 PM
There is something wrong with Kim and its her competitiveness. Last year in 2005 Kim felt like she had everything to prove because she never won a grand slam. She finally has the breakthrough and everything changed. She's just not the same player this year. The commentators really trashed her after the French Open blow out against Justine this year. There is something missing that fire that desire to beat the best. Kim's always going to beat people like Dementieva or Kuznetsova but to beat Amelie, Justine and Maria that's her problem right now. She just can't seem to beat them. Amelie is 4-0 against Kim this year. Justine is 3-0 and Maria is 2-0 against Kim in 2006. Its amazing how things change in just one year.

Jenny.C.Fan
Nov 11th, 2006, 05:10 PM
Kim was at her best today, she couldn't have played any better, Amelie's variation and execution was just too much for her today.

Linnie
Nov 11th, 2006, 05:15 PM
It's not what's wrong with Kim, it's what's right with Amelie :)

tommystar
Nov 11th, 2006, 05:16 PM
How do you mean owning?

1999 Bratislasa F Mauresmo 6-3 6-3
2000 Indian Wells R2 Clijsters 3-0 ret.
2002 US Open R4 Mauresmo 4-6 6-3 7-5
2002 Filderstadt SF Clijsters 3-6 6-3 7-5 (Amelie lead throughout the 3rd set with an early break, had chances to go 2 breaks up, had match point at 5-4, ok, she choke away in the end.)
2003 Rome F Clijsters 3-6 7-6 6-0 (Amelie served for the title 6-3 6-5 was 2 points away from match, her nerves beat her not Kim.)
2003 US Open / Filderstadt Clijsters was in better form I sign it.
2003 Masters RR Clijsters 3-6 6-4 6-4 (Amelie -use your word- owned Kim till half way to the 2nd set, there some netcord or bad line call cannot excatly remember and turned, but she had all kind of chances in the 3rd set to turn back.)
So from 8 wins 3 that kind of close and lucky victories + 1 retirement at 3-0 is half of her wins vs. Amelie hard to understand to call it owning!!

Bumsby
Nov 11th, 2006, 05:20 PM
Cut Kim some slack, it was a very close match and could have gone either way. In the third set, it came down to handful of points and Kim DID seem very disappointed when she didn't win them.

So I don't see any problem or lack of competitiveness with Kim.

What happened to Amélie is hardly news anymore.... don't forget it all probably began with beating KIM in RR of last year's YEC. After I don't know how many losses.

Mashak
Nov 11th, 2006, 05:46 PM
geez, why did i know such threads would come up :o

like the rest of the respondents to the thread, there's nothing wrong with Kim, it's Amelie. it doesnt take a genius to figure out how much amelie's improved the past year. she's been phenomenal :worship:

yes, kim's lost 4 straight to amelie, but 3 of them have been 3-setters which suggest Kim did have her chances, and has not been blown off the court. (heck, one of the losses was a retirement!).

while i'm disappointed with kim's losses, i'm going to admit amelie has just improved so much, and all credit to her. :yeah:

I totally agree with you !
:)

Steffica Greles
Nov 11th, 2006, 05:48 PM
Those results were only up to the end of 2003.

I did not see the match and Kim might have played very well. But mentally she's just not quite where she was, in my opinion. This year she has looked sullen and disenchanted on the court in a way that she never did before.

I agree that Amelie has really raised her game this year, but I do believe that Kim at her best would inch her out in all decisive areas. I believe Amelie's main improvement this year has been mental rather than technical.

But with Kim there is definitely something missing, in my opinion, and I noticed it as far back as Paris.

Kim's_fan_4ever
Nov 11th, 2006, 05:53 PM
Nothing wrong with Kim... It was Amelie...

Stamp Paid
Nov 11th, 2006, 05:55 PM
Something is definitely wrong with Kim, whether this loss to Mauresmo is indicative of it or not. She has lost her competitive edge for some reason. The constant injuries have probably contributed to it.

Steffica Greles
Nov 11th, 2006, 05:55 PM
Nothing wrong with Kim... It was Amelie...

So are all Kim's devoted fans conceding that Amelie's the better player?

Steffica Greles
Nov 11th, 2006, 05:57 PM
Something is definitely wrong with Kim, whether this loss to Mauresmo is indictive of it or not. She has lost her competitive edge for some reason. The constant injuries have probably contributed to it.
:bowdown: :woohoo: :hatoff:

Kim's_fan_4ever
Nov 11th, 2006, 06:06 PM
So are all Kim's devoted fans conceding that Amelie's the better player?

I'm not saying she's a better player, all I'm saying she was better in those matches that she won.

Billabong
Nov 11th, 2006, 06:18 PM
Amelie definitely improved by miles since last year, there's no question about it. Today they were really equal, Amelie was simply able to raise her game from 2-3 in the third set. But you can't compare Amelie's level from 2003 or even last year. Kim is close to her best level, but not there yet, at least she's playing much better now than most of this year and it's a great sign. But it's unbelievable to think that Clijsters beat Mauresmo 6-1, 6-0 in Miami last year and 6-2, 6-0 in the 2003 YEC final. Such was the difference then:eek:

goldenlox
Nov 11th, 2006, 06:52 PM
Kim looked very good against Sveta and Lena.
The match Kim played that I've watched the most is her Wimbledon semi this year.
She had plenty of chances, but when this level of players are in a big match,
it's how you play on some key points.
And Kim isn't matching Justine and Amelie on the big points.

Leo_DFP
Nov 11th, 2006, 06:53 PM
I agree with SG. When Kim was playing well and at her highest confidence, she barely lost games against Mauresmo. The 2003 YEC final and 2005 Miami SF were without a doubt two of the best matches of her career. But these days, she's not the same whereas Amelie is so much better.

I'd like to see Kim train hard over the off-season and come back fresh, confident. I agree that she shouldn't retire yet to start a family life when she has so much more to do on the tennis court, including catch up on JHH's Grand Slam tally. However, Kim has to choose what she thinks will make her happy. Even if she does retire and have a child, she's young enough to come back later...

And I do think it's peculiar how both Hewitt and Clijsters jumped into marriages/engagements so soon after their split, after 5 years! Seems like too fast a rebound.

Ben.
Nov 11th, 2006, 06:58 PM
there's nothin wrong with kim. amelie just played better than her on the big points & i'm not sayin that amelie is the better player than kim or kim is the better player than amelie. enough said.

Steffica Greles
Nov 11th, 2006, 10:04 PM
I'm not saying she's a better player, all I'm saying she was better in those matches that she won.

?

Players better than their opponents win matches. Oh right, I get you now! Thanks.

:worship:

ace4lleykim
Nov 12th, 2006, 11:03 PM
Yea the semi was unbelievable especially the last set. Both players were playing their best. I loved that match, rallies after rallies.
I think that Kim has overcame many things that she hadn't before, she should've gotten more credits than that.

terjw
Nov 12th, 2006, 11:38 PM
Like others have said - I really think the top three players in the world have all been playing really well when they've played Kim this year. In fact I think they all raised their game against Kim in 2006. Kim had a fantastic comeback in 2005 - but we probably got understandably carried away with it all. She did have some matches where these top players really did play horrible against her. Momo at Miami - she couldn't keep the ball in the court. Maria at Miami, Justine in Canada - both those matches were in the wind. And they just couldn't cope. Kim could.

Actually that's something else. I don't remember seeing Justine, Kim, Maria or Amelie playing in windy conditions at all this year. Something I believe Kim copes with quite well - and I don't remember ever seeing Justine and Maria coping well with.