PDA

View Full Version : Some advice needed

supergrunt
Nov 11th, 2006, 03:14 AM
I have a match tommorow (a competitive match, not just wiht my hitting partner) and I need some advice. The last competitive match I played was during the tennis season at my school. Whenever I play I get very nervous. :sad: It kind of prohibits my ability to play. How can I overcome this?

416_Man
Nov 11th, 2006, 03:15 AM
Retire. Problem solved :D!

supergrunt
Nov 11th, 2006, 03:16 AM
Retire. Problem solved :D!

Geez, I just read your other reply. :( Is everything you say a witty one-line retort. :rolleyes: :lol:

Josh.
Nov 11th, 2006, 03:18 AM
well i dunno if this helps but when i play competitivly i play point by point. if i lose a point i try to immeditly forget about it. dont focus on whats up ahead or what will happend if you lose that game, just play point by point :)

CrossCourt~Rally
Nov 11th, 2006, 03:21 AM
well i dunno if this helps but when i play competitivly i play point by point. if i lose a point i try to immeditly forget about it. dont focus on whats up ahead or what will happend if you lose that game, just play point by point :)

:yeah: Nice words. :bounce:

supergrunt

good advice. I will try it :)

PatrickRyan
good advice :yeah:
and just remember not to rush youself and stay calm. I get nervous to when i play, but once i get into the match i don't focus on anything around me, just what im doing at that moment.

Josh.
Nov 11th, 2006, 03:26 AM
good advice. I will try it :)

thanks all, hope it helps and good luck ;)

Abizack
Nov 11th, 2006, 03:56 AM
Just focus on one point at a time. Do not worry about the last point and do not think about the next point... Overall though, you should keep playing matches to stay match tough. Here is a link to an article: http://tennis4you.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4824

Mother_Marjorie
Nov 11th, 2006, 04:03 AM
I have a match tommorow (a competitive match, not just wiht my hitting partner) and I need some advice. The last competitive match I played was during the tennis season at my school. Whenever I play I get very nervous. :sad: It kind of prohibits my ability to play. How can I overcome this?

Grunt,

For all tennis players entering competitive tennis, there will always be a time in the first few games of a match when you will be nervous. Its completely normal. However, its how you deal with that nervousness that will ultimately decide if you will be competitive.

First, realize that the person across the net is probably nervous as well. You are not the only one with nerves.

Second, use your warm-up and practice shots as a way of loosening up. Try stretching and warming up before you step on-court which will help alleviate the physical symptoms of nervousness (tightness, "quicksand feet", etc.)before a match.

Third, keep in mind that you are playing against a tennis ball crossing the net, not the person across the net.

Fourth, play to your strengths during the match, and attack your opponents weaknesses. Use your practice time before the match hitting with your opponent to detect weakness in his/her shots.

Fifth, don't abandon your game if you are a slow starter. Beginners have a tendancy to "go for broke" if they don't start a match well.

Sixth, remember to bend your knees, follow-through on your shots and keep your feet moving. Keep your eyes on the ball and concentrate. Don't be distracted by things outside the court. As the match develops, your limbs will get looser and you can focus more on strategy and breaking down your opponents game.

All of these things I've mentioned take time to develop. Nervousness can be turned into a positive using your mental alertness to focus on the game and not your "head."

In time, you will learn not to be afraid of winning.

Good luck! :bigwave:

supergrunt
Nov 11th, 2006, 04:07 AM
Grunt,

For all tennis players entering competitive tennis, there will always be a time in the first few games of a match when you will be nervous. Its completely normal. However, its how you deal with that nervousness that will ultimately decide if you will be competitive.

First, realize that the person across the net is probably nervous as well. You are not the only one with nerves.

Second, use your warm-up and practice shots as a way of loosening up. Try stretching and warming up before you step on-court which will help alleviate the physical symptoms of nervousness (tightness, "quicksand feet", etc.)before a match.

Third, keep in mind that you are playing against a tennis ball crossing the net, not the person across the net.

Fourth, play to your strengths during the match, and attack your opponents weaknesses. Use your practice time before the match hitting with your opponent to detect weakness in his/her shots.

Fifth, don't abandon your game if you are a slow starter. Beginners have a tendancy to "go for broke" if they don't start a match well.

Sixth, remember to bend your knees, follow-through on your shots and keep your feet moving. Keep your eyes on the ball and concentrate. Don't be distracted by things outside the court. As the match develops, your limbs will get looser and you can focus more on strategy and breaking down your opponents game.

All of these things I've mentioned take time to develop. Nervousness can be turned into a positive using your mental alertness to focus on the game and not your "head."

In time, you will learn not to be afraid of winning.

Good luck! :bigwave:

You had some very interesting things that you said in that. thank you :)

senorgato
Nov 11th, 2006, 04:20 AM
A couple of utterly simple things:

1.) Act like it's a practice session, that will help relax you.
2.) Always go in with the attitude, "I am here to win".
3.) Don't overcrowd your brain. Just have a simple game plan and stick to it. If that's not working, switch to another effective game plan and stick to it. Don't try to do too many things.

Or you can always go with the ole standby: think of your opponent in their underwear!!

KimC&MariaSNo1's
Nov 11th, 2006, 04:33 AM
play point-by-point and play your game not the game of your opponents. go for your shots dont just get the ball over and make sure you are focused on the match not whos watching or what is happening else where