PDA

View Full Version : Why were they frying Sharapova on Eurosports?

Parsley
Nov 10th, 2006, 07:51 PM
When I turned the TV on they were talking about something Maria made like her racket touching the ball but she behaved like as if it didn't. Can anyone explain?

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 10th, 2006, 07:53 PM
that was 1st game
30-0
Sveta's return hit Maria's racquet on full

umpire asleep, Sveta in a trance.
no one noticed except the commentators :o

umpire called 40-0 and......................

Uranus
Nov 10th, 2006, 07:55 PM
I hate Maria just because of that. It's recurrent.

jazar
i was watching it, didnt notice it and there werent any replays. even if there were and more people had noticed, maria would have just vehemently denied it

Princeza
what happened? i dont get it

morningglory
Nov 10th, 2006, 07:56 PM
Didn't see it... :o are you sure?

Parsley
Nov 10th, 2006, 07:57 PM
They said that none of the officials noticed and the only player who could tell that was Maria (she didn't). They also talked about how they sell tickets because of Maria but actually in a match everyone supports her opponents because of these kind of behaviors and her father.

shibster
Nov 10th, 2006, 08:07 PM
marsha couldn't be wrong. she was prepared to receive that service, remember? you midgets just can't rely on video replays as evidence or what others see. remember, the umpire can't see it, and marsha's words as a player are final.

you have to trust marsha's integrity, make no mistake about it.

Dementinator
Nov 11th, 2006, 09:52 AM
nothing ever changes

Kim's_fan_4ever
Nov 11th, 2006, 10:01 AM
Polish commentators also said it. But there were no replays unfortunetaly

pooh14
Nov 11th, 2006, 10:03 AM
what exactly happen, i don't understand fully....

and i don't want to bash before i know

Jenny.C.Fan
Nov 11th, 2006, 10:06 AM
it was 1-0 first set, Sharapova serving, up 30-0, Sveta's shot was flying miles out but it hit Sharapova's racket so it should have been Sveta's point, no one noticed except the commentators and obviously Sharapova knew, but said nothing about it, its sad to see such bad sportsmanship and sadly its a recurring theme with Sharapova.

pooh14
Nov 11th, 2006, 10:10 AM
oh dear, whats wrong with you sharapova?
i never dislike any player, but all these stunts are making me dislike you more.

but obviously she doenst bother what others say as long as can get as many trophys and MONEY

Piotr'ek
Nov 11th, 2006, 10:17 AM
LOL :lol:

It's Masha's fault that umpire and linesman are blind :tape:

terjw
Nov 11th, 2006, 10:25 AM
Didn't see the match but in LA against Lena in the semis she touched a ball that went out (there was a deflection in the replay). And was given the point. The umpire couldn't possibly have seen it - but Maria knew all right. From that point on I was really rooting for Lena - so glad she won. There's being competitive (which I ike in Maria) and that (which makes me root for the other player).

Mind you I'd guess Maria isn't the only one who will accept points she knows she didn't win. I'd guess that most players would do the same. It's like in cricket. A batsman edges a ball to the slips and knows he's out. Does he walk. There used to be a big debate on this. Nowadays it's very rare. There's still a tiny few who walk. But with most players - if the umpire doesn't give them out - they stay.

In snooker - I remember a player leaning over some other balls to make his shot at a crucial stage of the match. Then he just stood up and called a foul on himself. He knew he had touched a ball with his waistcoat. No-one could see that. The ref couldn't possibly see that. But he knew and was the only one that knew that he had done it. And the thing is - every other snooker player in the game would have done exactly the same thing.

Erika_Angel
Nov 11th, 2006, 10:57 AM
If the umpire gives you the point, you take it. Why would Maria go "oh no actually I lost that point" ?? .... If Sveta had noticed and complained then Maria could say "yeh I think it did" and then they would do whatever, but the fact noone questioned her on it means she had no obligation to say anything. It isn't Maria's job to call the match, she is there to play. If she gets lucky and gets a free point then you keep it ... it could become a vital point later on in the match.

-Sonic-
Nov 11th, 2006, 11:01 AM
you have to trust marsha's integrity, make no mistake about it.

trusting maria sharapova's integrity is like trusting an invisible parachute when you've jumped out of an aeroplane.

splat.

Kim's_fan_4ever
Nov 11th, 2006, 11:02 AM
If the umpire gives you the point, you take it. Why would Maria go "oh no actually I lost that point" ?? .... If Sveta had noticed and complained then Maria could say "yeh I think it did" and then they would do whatever, but the fact noone questioned her on it means she had no obligation to say anything. It isn't Maria's job to call the match, she is there to play. If she gets lucky and gets a free point then you keep it ... it could become a vital point later on in the match.

I agree.

Ben.
Nov 11th, 2006, 11:06 AM
I agree.

i second that.

Sharakim
Nov 11th, 2006, 11:23 AM
i second that.I third that.

vutt
Nov 11th, 2006, 11:25 AM
If the umpire gives you the point, you take it. Why would Maria go "oh no actually I lost that point" ?? ....

Two words: Fair play!

I think also because of those two words Sveta did not complain about it. She saw that she hit her shot out anyway...

Stavie
Nov 11th, 2006, 11:25 AM
:confused:

Stavie
Nov 11th, 2006, 11:27 AM
Two words: Fair play!

what makes you think that Sharapova knows these words?

Jenny.C.Fan
Nov 11th, 2006, 11:30 AM

Even if Sveta had said anything, sharapova still would have denied it.

Erika_Angel
Nov 11th, 2006, 11:32 AM

How do you know?

xan
Nov 11th, 2006, 11:41 AM
More nonsense.

One of the Eurosport commentators thought he saw a ball that was going out touch the edge of Maria's racket. No-one else, much closer, including all the officials, the players or the camera director saw this apparent event, yet Maria is somehow to blame for not giving a point away!

And doesn't this just happen in all sporting events...

Rooney: "Oh excuse me, mr referee but I think I may just have been an inch or two offside, you'll have to diallow that goal."

Lewis: "My opponent just landed an excellent blow to the left side of my torso, which I don't think you noticed. Ouch!"

Sharakim
Nov 11th, 2006, 11:54 AM
More nonsense.

One of the Eurosport commentators thought he saw a ball that was going out touch the edge of Maria's racket. No-one else, much closer, including all the officials, the players or the camera director saw this apparent event, yet Maria is somehow to blame for not giving a point away!

Rooney: "Oh excuse me, mr referee but I think I may just have been an inch or two offside, you'll have to diallow that goal."

Lewis: "My opponent just landed an excellent blow to the left side of my torso, which I don't think you noticed. Ouch!"Well said. I agree that if the umpire gives you a point, you take it. It's not your job to watch out for balls at might've or might not have been won properly. That's the task of the umpire or referee. Go ahead, call it cheating, certainly doesn't matter a lick once the next point commences.

ImaVeggie
Nov 11th, 2006, 11:58 AM

That's when I think the chair umpire should have the availability to look at a replay. They should and can not solely rely on a player's word.

That's why I'm not thrilled about the challenge system. Umpires are not over-ruling, the player has to challenge. The technology of the "Challenge System" should be used by chair umps to aide them as well. It should not be totally left to the players.

Jenny.C.Fan
Nov 11th, 2006, 12:29 PM
How do you know?

:rolleyes: because that what she's like, she's done it on numerous other occasions and she's a bad sportsman.

pooh14
Nov 11th, 2006, 01:36 PM
well, i do not deny maria is not the only one.
i have to say even great Steffi did it, one i can remember was RG 99 when the ball was clearly out, and Steffi didnt bother to tell either when there was a huge argument...

however there is some players who actually corrected the referee, and to name a few would be Amelie, Kim, Roger....i can't remember who else

Sharakim
Nov 11th, 2006, 01:41 PM
however there is some players who actually corrected the referee, and to name a few would be Amelie, Kim, Roger....i can't remember who elseSo are you saying that you dislike Maria for something that - as you've admitted - a lot of other players do too? Was it dirty probably, does it make Maria is bad person I don't think so.

Parsley
Nov 11th, 2006, 01:42 PM

Svetlana argued about that point and Maria didn't pay any attention.

Erika_Angel
Nov 11th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Svetlana argued about that point and Maria didn't pay any attention.

Well most posts in the thread have said that only the commenators noticed and that Sveta & the umpire didn't. That is what I was going on.

Parsley
Nov 11th, 2006, 02:02 PM
Well most posts in the thread have said that only the commenators noticed and that Sveta & the umpire didn't. That is what I was going on.

Then don't make comments without watching the match.

I watched it. Svetlana argued for a long time and Maria turned her back.

ImaVeggie
Nov 11th, 2006, 02:56 PM

Well I watched it too and Svetlana DID NOT ARGUE !

I have it on video and I will try my hardest to get it online.

ImaVeggie
Nov 11th, 2006, 03:15 PM
Well, that was easy. Thanks to johnoo who originally uploaded the video of the match. I just had to snip this part out. It should be viewable in a few minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc1s7cQC_jk

Erika_Angel
Nov 11th, 2006, 03:30 PM

I can comment about whatever the hell I want thanks. Everyone here has said that Sveta didn't do a thing. I made a comment on the reaction of posters in this thread and their descriptions of the situation (whic hall eerily seem to be similar, I guess it is just you who saw a different match :rolleyes: )

-Sonic-
Nov 11th, 2006, 03:36 PM
well it definitely hit her racquet....

dinhd82
Nov 11th, 2006, 03:36 PM
typical Pova.

myxomatosis
Nov 11th, 2006, 03:39 PM

More nonsense.

Lewis: "My opponent just landed an excellent blow to the left side of my torso, which I don't think you noticed. Ouch!"

Exactly. Exactly. Exactly.

ImaVeggie
Nov 11th, 2006, 03:58 PM
Here's a MegaUpload link for the clip that shows Svetlana didn't argue it. Better quality.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4I1XSJT9

Why must people blatantly lie?!

Erika_Angel
Nov 11th, 2006, 04:03 PM

Now you just look like a fool because it is blatantly obvious Sveta didnt say a thing.

pooh14
Nov 11th, 2006, 04:05 PM
So are you saying that you dislike Maria for something that - as you've admitted - a lot of other players do too? Was it dirty probably, does it make Maria is bad person I don't think so.

no, i dislike maria for a combination of things ;)
the loud grunting, the bad sportmanship (the hand 2), the illegal on-court coaching....and sometimes i just do not find her sincere.

well, this are my personal opinions....and i have said it again, many will agree with me, and many will disagree with me ;) thats why we have forums for :D

ImaVeggie
Nov 11th, 2006, 04:09 PM
Now you just look like a fool because it is blatantly obvious Sveta didnt say a thing.

A Fool, A Liar, A Hater

Louis Cyphre
Nov 11th, 2006, 04:11 PM

:haha:
What a lie :lol: Your hate blinds you and you start to imagine different situation and you are idiot coz you make it on purpose!What a pitty little man

~Kiera~
Nov 11th, 2006, 04:19 PM
Although "cheating" does happen in other sports, I think people simply expect better sportsmanship and etiquette in tennis.

That's probably why these sort of things kick up a fuss.

LoveFifteen
Nov 11th, 2006, 04:27 PM
Sharapova has no sportsmanship. She'd look like this if she was the same on the outside as on the inside:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a122/tennisfan1981/ugly_woman.jpg

Parsley
Nov 11th, 2006, 04:44 PM
I didn't say she went to the umpire and shoutee etc idiots. What I said was she looked in disbelief for a long time and neither the umpire nor the devil herself cared.

If you extend the argument that players shouldn't be honest and will get a point in any way, you can say that if your opponent has a heartstroke during play then the player should be happy because she won it etc. That can win a match but make everyone hate you.

No wonder why in none of her matches people support her. If even in her match against Justine, who is not really liked much among the tennis fans, people support the Belgian then it shows how much of a hate figure she has become due to good reasons.

perseus2006
Nov 11th, 2006, 04:49 PM
Yeah, just like Lindsay in a match before the US Open watched a ball bounce on the baseline and quickly went about her business. She didn't even tell the Chair the ball was in, the opponent didn't challenge, match to LIndsay!!!

The lying, evil, unsportsmanlike, nasty, cheating Lindsay.

Come on people, get serious!!!

Melly Flew Us
Nov 11th, 2006, 05:43 PM
you know what, maybe kuzzie saw what happened but was so down she didn't give a flying fuck.

it doesn't really matter; maria's not the only person taking points at any cost, most of them do it now.

the most important result is that chris bradnam now seems to dislike maria; and tried to take it out on sam smith - pova's biggest fan - by pinning her down about which model ball boy she prefers!

scoobsuk
Nov 11th, 2006, 05:59 PM
It's an interesting discussion.

Maria technically did nothing wrong - it's up to the officials to call the points, the umpire should have been following the flight of the ball - if the commentators saw it touch the racquet then the umpire certainly would have done. Svetlana certainly didn't notice. Maria's under no obligation to correct the situation. Fair enough.

But some players would do anyway. Not many perhaps, but some would own up and concede the point because it's the right thing to do. No-one else who mattered knew it happened but YOU DID.

So I think she should have conceded the point. It would have been the big thing to do, the honest thing to do.

It's things like this that really make Maria a player than a lot of fans admire but with a bit of a sour taste in the mouth. There just seem to be things like this going on with her that, frankly, she doesn't even need - she's much better than this. She can stand to concede a point in the interests of strict fairness and honesty and not have it really matter. She can win matches without all sorts of blatant communication antics going on between her and her father and coach. She can still win matches while showing concern to her opponent when she's down on the ground in pain until her opponent concedes the match.

She is a better player than this to need to be quite so aggressively determined to take every point whether she strictly deserves it or not.

She's a great player, but with her the desire to get ahead seems to rule out everything else and to me that doesn't really make her a great person.

I hope she'll grow into one in a couple of years.

ImaVeggie
Nov 11th, 2006, 07:30 PM
"Svetlana argued about that point and Maria didn't pay any attention."

"I watched it. Svetlana argued for a long time and Maria turned her back."

Then when people saw the video which clearly show Svetlana not saying one word or even acknowleding it, you write this...

"I didn't say she went to the umpire and shoutee etc idiots. What I said was she looked in disbelief for a long time and neither the umpire nor the devil herself cared."

Puleez... You're backtracking now.

bis2806
Nov 11th, 2006, 07:32 PM
We all know that it's not surprising if she cheated anyway. This behavior is recurrent.

Louis Cyphre
Nov 11th, 2006, 07:43 PM
"Svetlana argued about that point and Maria didn't pay any attention."

"I watched it. Svetlana argued for a long time and Maria turned her back."

Then when people saw the video which clearly show Svetlana not saying one word or even acknowleding it, you write this...

"I didn't say she went to the umpire and shoutee etc idiots. What I said was she looked in disbelief for a long time and neither the umpire nor the devil herself cared."

Puleez... You're backtracking now.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

bis2806
Nov 11th, 2006, 07:56 PM
Sveta did not argue because she immediately turned back after she knew her shot was out :o

Erika_Angel
Nov 11th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Sveta did not argue because she immediately turned back after she knew her shot was out :o

And your point is? ... The poster was having a go at me, and saying Sveta argued but Sharapova ignored her, which obviously didn't happen.

Viktymise
Nov 11th, 2006, 08:34 PM
lol reminds me of the LA semi against lena when lena's pass touched Maria's racquet and went long and the umpire called it out, lena saw herself that it touched her racquet and complained to the umpire and maria denied it :o but lena still won the match :angel:

Yuri Sharapov
Nov 11th, 2006, 08:44 PM
Maria is a product of the american tennis for Christ sake. She only does what she's been teached to do.

davenport124
Nov 11th, 2006, 08:53 PM
This is annoying, but nothing can be done about it. If Kuznetsova had argued then something would have been done. Sharapova may not be anywhere near the perfect sportsmanship and grace of Lindsay and Amelie but she didnt do anything wrong either!