PDA

View Full Version : AP said Justine won the group, Mauresmo second

clonesheep
Nov 10th, 2006, 07:35 PM
Here's the link,

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_ylt=Amq4dPXdzdO1A0Gc3gRqwzo4v7YF?slug=ap-wtachampionships&prov=ap&type=lgns

"Top-ranked Mauresmo finished second to No. 3 Henin-Hardenne in the Yellow Group based on sets won. Henin-Hardenne can finish the year at No. 1 if she reaches the final."

Apparently, the rule is that if there's a tie on the matches won then sets won is first used for tie-breaking. Justine's record is 5-3, better than 4-3 of Mauresmo.

swiss
Nov 10th, 2006, 07:37 PM
wrong:rolleyes:

KClijsters
Nov 10th, 2006, 07:38 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=2644809

Nov 10, 2006 — MADRID (Reuters) - Defending champion Amelie Mauresmo battled her back from a set down to defeat the already qualified Justine Henin-Hardenne 4-6 7-6 6-2 and book her place in the semi-finals of the WTA championships in Madrid on Friday.

The Frenchwoman now tops the yellow group ahead of Henin-Hardenne and the two players will progress to the last four while former world number one Martina Hingis has been eliminated.

Shoulderpova
Nov 10th, 2006, 07:38 PM
this is really getting confusing :confused:

Wannabeknowitall
Nov 10th, 2006, 07:39 PM
This is true it's sets won.
It just gets a bit too complicated to make head to head the first tiebreaker but some people on here think H2H is the common sense tiebreaker and haven't really looked at the rules.

Lindsay went home in 2004 because Serena won an extra set even though she beat Serena.

Wannabeknowitall
Nov 10th, 2006, 07:39 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=2644809

Nov 10, 2006 — MADRID (Reuters) - Defending champion Amelie Mauresmo battled her back from a set down to defeat the already qualified Justine Henin-Hardenne 4-6 7-6 6-2 and book her place in the semi-finals of the WTA championships in Madrid on Friday.

The Frenchwoman now tops the yellow group ahead of Henin-Hardenne and the two players will progress to the last four while former world number one Martina Hingis has been eliminated.

Reuters is wrong and I wish some of the people on here would RESEARCH.

Stavie
Nov 10th, 2006, 07:40 PM
shit! everyone's saying his own story here!

just wait few minutes and all things will be cleared up!

KClijsters
Nov 10th, 2006, 07:40 PM
this is really getting confusing :confused:

Yes, I'm also really confused :confused:

I also thought that Justine ended the poule as number 1. I thought that they looked at the number of sets..

But other people are telling that they look at the h2h .... so I really don't know it anymore :confused:

morningglory
Nov 10th, 2006, 07:41 PM
We'll just wait for the word from the official WTA site, shall we?

KClijsters
Nov 10th, 2006, 07:42 PM
But an other site is telling the same ..

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/SPORT/11/10/tennis.madrid/

MADRID, Spain -- Defending champion Amelie Mauresmo battled her way back from a set down to defeat the already qualified Justine Henin-Hardenne 4-6 7-6 6-2 and book her place in the semifinals of the WTA Championships in Madrid on Friday.

The Frenchwoman now tops the yellow group ahead of Henin-Hardenne and the two players will progress to the last four while former world number one Martina Hingis has been elminated.

vejh
Nov 10th, 2006, 07:42 PM
LOL. I am cracking up here. But what would really be sad is if the YEC site has it wrong. I mean that would signal all that is wrong with women's tennis today, IMO.

vogus
Nov 10th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Reuters is wrong and I wish some of the people on here would RESEARCH.

nope, Reuters and TBE are right, and AP/yahoo is wrong. The head to head result is the first tiebreaker.

joz
Lindsay went home in 2004 because Serena won an extra set even though she beat Serena.
Because it was more than two people tied for the spot.

If only two are tied H2H is used.
If three are tied with the same record the sets come into play.

azmad_88
This is true it's sets won.
It just gets a bit too complicated to make head to head the first tiebreaker but some people on here think H2H is the common sense tiebreaker and haven't really looked at the rules.

but they had a 3 way tie with anastasia myskina then....

Wannabeknowitall
shit! everyone's saying his own story here!

just wait few minutes and all things will be cleared up!

There's no own story here. :lol:
The round robin has been used in for four years now and set won is the first tiebreaker.

Again Lindsay beat Serena at the 2004 YEC but since Serena won an extra set compared to Lindsay she went on the semifinals.
You just have to check the activity of both players in 2004 at the YEC to know it's true.

saki
We'll just wait for the word from the official WTA site, shall we?

The article on their website says that Justine is #1. I wouldn't be suprised to find that they don't know their own rules but it is what the official site says.

mapaliey
Here's the link,

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_ylt=Amq4dPXdzdO1A0Gc3gRqwzo4v7YF?slug=ap-wtachampionships&prov=ap&type=lgns

"Top-ranked Mauresmo finished second to No. 3 Henin-Hardenne in the Yellow Group based on sets won. Henin-Hardenne can finish the year at No. 1 if she reaches the final."

Apparently, the rule is that if there's a tie on the matches won then sets won is first used for tie-breaking. Justine's record is 5-3, better than 4-3 of Mauresmo.

i think it's wrong...momo still no 1 untill next year AUSTRALIAN OPEN

Pasta-Na
Nov 10th, 2006, 07:45 PM
juju won the group. momo vs maria in SF :fiery:

azmad_88
i think it's wrong...momo still no 1 untill next year AUSTRALIAN OPEN

where are u>???

mauresmo clearly dropping to number 4

~Cherry*Blossom~
The round robin has been used in for four years now and set won is the first tiebreaker.

Again Lindsay beat Serena at the 2004 YEC but since Serena won an extra set compared to Lindsay she went on the semifinals.
You just have to check the activity of both players in 2004 at the YEC to know it's true.

Again there were 3 people who won 2 matches in that group. With Serena beating Myskina, Myskina beating Davenport and Davenport beat Serena. Therefore they went with sets won/lost

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 10th, 2006, 07:46 PM

2004 results:
that was a 3 way tie with 3 players with a 2-1 record.
http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/3/global/includes/TrackIt.asp?file=http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/3/global/Pdfs/events/2004/losangeles2_draws.pdf

you should change your name to I wishicouldbewannaknowitall :tape: :tape:

drive-volley
Nov 10th, 2006, 07:47 PM
I know the man from Reuters who corresponds from Madrid this year. He's very experienced in tennis really, so I think we can believe his words.

Pasta-Na
:tape: juju vs kim in the final :o

KClijsters
ES is telling it again .... if it's between 2 people they look at the h2h .... and than Amelie is in advance..

So Amelie number 1 and Justine number 2

mapaliey
Nov 10th, 2006, 07:49 PM
where are u>???

oops..my bad...sorry azmad.....:o

darrinbaker00
Nov 10th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Sharapova just beat Kuznetsova, so one semifinal is set: Sharapova vs. Henin-Hardenne.

morningglory
Nov 10th, 2006, 07:50 PM
:tape: juju vs kim in the final :o

Oh you just wish :lol:
All the 3 matches you've been rooting against Masha in all of them, and got disappointed every time. :nerner: :lol:
I don't see any reason why that will change in the next two rounds... :lol:

vogus

you need to have your mouth taped shut to keep you from running it when you don't know what the f*ck you're talking about.

Head to head is the first tie-breaker, and Mauresmo won the group.

densuprun
2004 results:
that was a 3 way tie with 3 players with a 2-1 record.
http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/3/global/includes/TrackIt.asp?file=http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/3/global/Pdfs/events/2004/losangeles2_draws.pdf

you should change your name to I wishicouldbewannaknowitall :tape: :tape:

or, better yet, to "I suck" :tape:

azmad_88
Nov 10th, 2006, 07:52 PM
where are u>???

sorry number 3....or 2

twight6
Nov 10th, 2006, 07:53 PM

have you not been watching the 450000 threads that have been in GM lately??? :rolleyes:

THE RULES:
IF IT IS 2 PEOPLE TIED IN MATCH RECORD, THEN H2H IS USED TO BREAK THE TIE.
IF IT IS 3 PEOPLE TIED IN MATCH RECORD, THEN SETS RECORD WILL BE USED TO BREAK THE TIE (BECAUSE H2H CANNOT BE USED WITH 3 PEOPLE)

It's common sense if you think about it. H2H isn't confusing, it's the perfect solution:
1. The BEST player should make the semis, and if it's a tie who ever won between them would be the BEST player at that time.
2. Afer H2H, there can no longer be a tie so it simplifies it.

However, if there are 3 people, H2H CANNOT be used, because for 3 people to be tied, they either have to be tied at 1-2 or at 2-1, and in both cases that means each player would have been 1 of the other 2.

2005:
Sharapova: 2-1, 4-4 in sets
Davenport: 2-1, 5-2 in sets
Sharapova gets #1 from green group inspite of having a worse set record, BECAUSE SHE BEAT DAVENPORT IN THE ROUND ROBIN.

2004:
Myskina: 2-1, 5-2 in sets
Serena: 2-1, 5-3 in sets
Davenport: 2-1, 4-3 in sets.
Myskina beat Davenport, Serena beat Myskina, Davenport beat Serena
Because all 3 of them have the same record, H2H CANNOT be used, so set % is the tiebreaker for a 3 way tie. Thus, Myskina and Serena move into the semifinals.

2003:
Mauresmo: 1-2, 4-4 in sets
Rubin: 1-2, 3-5 in sets
Dementieva: 1-2, 2-5 in sets
Rubin beat Mauresmo, Dementieva beat Rubin, Mauresmo beat Dementieva
Because it's a 3-way tie, H2H cannot be used, so sets are. Thus, Mauresmo moves into the semis over Rubin and Dementieva.

UNDERSTAND?

Kipling
Nov 10th, 2006, 07:53 PM
Oh you just wish :lol:
All the 3 matches you've been rooting against Masha in all of them, and got disappointed every time. :nerner: :lol:
I don't see any reason why that will change in the next two rounds... :lol:

Hk_Andy is going to set a record for the most "favorites" in a week.

Wannabeknowitall
Nov 10th, 2006, 07:54 PM
So more or less I'm so worried about Sharapova ending the year at number one, I'm lieing to my own self.
Why why do I have to pick between two players I can't stand to be number one.

Now I will go do some research but you haven't heard the last of me!!!

:::Evil crackle::: :::Sneaks away and trips:::
:::Wonders if anyone is watching as I lope away with bruised ego:::

Ben.
Nov 10th, 2006, 07:54 PM
last year they did it by H2H's to determine the top 2 placings. that was between lindsay & maria. despite lindsay having the better set ratio 5-2 to maria's 4-4, maria got top of the group because she led lindsay in H2H.

bellascarlett
Nov 10th, 2006, 08:00 PM
you need to have your mouth taped shut to keep you from running it when you don't know what the f*ck you're talking about.

:tape: :lol:

Wannabeknowitall
Nov 10th, 2006, 08:08 PM

You had to know I was going to respond back to this and the bad rep you gave me.

You really know how to make someone feel so so good. :devil:

1) You bad repped me for being the idiot of the week?

http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=273299

2) You want me have my mouth taped because I don't know what I'm talking about.

http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=273299

My mistake might last this whole tournament.
Your mistake will last 2 years.
:lol: :lol: :p