PDA

View Full Version : ROUND ROBIN! Good or Bad

disco_rage
Nov 10th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Was wondering what everyone thinks of the Round Robin format!

Do you like it? Would you prefer the old 16-draw knock-out event?

Discuss!

I like the idea of round robin but i think the format should be slightly different. I say

16 players divided into 4 GROUPS
eg GRP1 (No.1,No.5, No.12, No.16)
GRP 2 (No.2,No.6, No.11, No.15)
GRP 3 (No.3,No.7, No.10, No.14)
GRP 4 (No.4,No.8, No.9, No.13)

The WINNER of each group meet in SEMIFINAL!

morningglory
Nov 10th, 2006, 06:18 PM
Bad! Gimme 16 player KO anyday

RenaSlam.
Nov 10th, 2006, 06:19 PM
I like the 16 player tourney.

-Sonic-
Nov 10th, 2006, 06:26 PM
I think its fine for the YEC.

They should make the scheduling as follows tho:

Day 1: 2 Red Matches, 1 Yellow Match
Day 2: 2 Red Matches, 1 Yellow Match
Day 3: 2 Yellow Matches, 1 Red Match
Day 4: 2 Yellow Matches, 1 Red Match

It would _somewhat_ avoid the scheduling issues we have here.

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 10th, 2006, 06:29 PM
I think its fine for the YEC.

They should make the scheduling as follows tho:

Day 1: 2 Red Matches, 1 Yellow Match
Day 2: 2 Red Matches, 1 Yellow Match
Day 3: 2 Yellow Matches, 1 Red Match
Day 4: 2 Yellow Matches, 1 Red Match

It would _somewhat_ avoid the scheduling issues we have here.

totally agree......... thats the way the ATP World Champs worked for many years.
Also the two winners of the opening gp matches play each other on 2nd lot of gp matches (and the two losers vice versa) so to avoid dead matches.

AK-DH Fan
Nov 10th, 2006, 06:31 PM
I hate it with a pation, maybe I'm too lazy to figure out, but it just seems too complicated. I say just keep it the normal way. It's the end of the year anyway. I don't think anyone should have to play another match after they lose, because that mean's you;re playing an extra match even if you stay in you're group. They already play a million matches a year so.... I feal like it''s better for the player physically

goldenlox
Nov 10th, 2006, 06:31 PM
Players like Nicole, Jelena, Anna C, Ana I
are close enough to Martina, Lena, Nadia,
that having 16 is no problem

If Sveta ends Sharapova's win streak and doesn't get in, it's shows how unfair this is.

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 10th, 2006, 06:33 PM
Players like Nicole, Jelena, Anna C, Ana I
are close enough to Martina, Lena, Nadia,
that having 16 is no problem

then we could say players like Na Li, Hantuchova, Golovin are close enough to Nicole, Jelena, Anna C, Ana I
are close enough to Martina, Lena, Nadia...............

then we got about 30 players :o

goldenlox
Nov 10th, 2006, 06:38 PM
To be honest, Golovin might have had a better shot than Nadia or Lena

Wayn77
Nov 10th, 2006, 06:49 PM
No I hate it: even for the YEC. Round Robin Sucks
Tennis is a sport based in the present, at the end of that days match there is a winner and a loser: the winner takes all, the loser goes home.

Mike_T
Nov 10th, 2006, 06:55 PM
When do we get to see the red breasts? :confused:

vutt
Nov 10th, 2006, 07:04 PM
I like it! More top 10 tennis!

JonBcn
Nov 10th, 2006, 07:35 PM
I prefer the olden days with 16 players when the top players could ease themselves in with a nice demolition of a pedestrian player, then from the quarter finals on every match was a)interesting and b)meant something. Oh, and bring back the 5 set finals. They were crap, but one day there might have been a good one.

KClijsters
Nov 10th, 2006, 08:04 PM
I like the round robin, it's more exciting. Normal it's over if you loose a match, but not here. So, the player who lost a match really want to win the next match. That gives tensions and I like that.

Chewie
Nov 10th, 2006, 08:17 PM
I had a feeling Henin did not give her all for the match against Mauresmo, this resulted to unfair advantage for Mauresmo over Hingis.

Henin was trying to hit flashy exhibition shots in the end.

selyoink
Nov 11th, 2006, 02:58 AM
I like it because it is unique to the format of all other tournaments.

croat123
Nov 11th, 2006, 03:01 AM
with the current tournament schedule, it's terrible

what they should do is play 2 matches a day so people like hingis aren't exhausted by day 3 :o

Kuilli
Nov 11th, 2006, 03:33 AM
I like it, but they should make a better match schedule.

pooh14
Nov 11th, 2006, 03:49 AM
i think YEC should have round robin.
It is best of 8 players, and all would love to see them play more.

However, something should be done where tanking of the last round match can be avoided. That is the only think which makes round robin unfair.

MrSerenaWilliams
Nov 11th, 2006, 08:00 AM
16 RR. Longer tourney, like a 2 week mini gs, and then you can have more fan-centered activities included.

Sir Stefwhit
Nov 11th, 2006, 08:22 AM
So often the best players don't battle it out as often as fans would like. The whole idea with Round-Robin play is to get a chance to see the best players squaring off against one another. I wish they would've had this format from the begining. Two big thumbs up from me!

justine&coria
Nov 11th, 2006, 09:11 AM
Come on : thanks to this format, we've had great matches between the bests in the world.
And now we have the best two semis we've had for a long long time : Justine, Amelie, Sharapova and Kim are the players of the year. It's probably going to be really exciting.

Uranus
Nov 11th, 2006, 11:08 AM
That's ok but only for the Masters. I don't like the idea of creating a RR for every tournament :eek:

The problem of the RR is that when the player is qualified, he/she doesn't care about his/her last RR match. Just look at last year's result between Maria and Patty I think.

Ben.
Nov 11th, 2006, 11:13 AM
That's ok but only for the Masters. I don't like the idea of creating a RR for every tournament :eek:

The problem of the RR is that when the player is qualified, he/she doesn't care about his/her last RR match. Just look at last year's result between Maria and Patty I think.

true, round robin i reckon is terrific & it provides top notch quality matches amongst the elite eight but i don't like it when a player has a dead rubber & just tanks it which what i don't like bout RR. but overall nothin else wrong & u have 2 be at your best all the time 2 win the matches.

if they created RR for every tournament i would be pretty pissed off with that.

blumaroo
Nov 11th, 2006, 11:14 AM
I think it's great and with better scheduling it would be perfect.
There are no easy matches or easy draws. Whoever beats the most top players is the best player. A 16player KO draw can be fluky. And I do think there's a significant difference between the top 8 and the other players. The YEC is a special tourney and deserves a special format.

Alicia Rocks
Nov 11th, 2006, 11:22 AM
I used to hate it
But I like it now

Kim's_fan_4ever
Nov 11th, 2006, 11:25 AM
It's good. A player that loses one or sometimes event two matches still has the chance to qualify.

xan
Nov 11th, 2006, 12:12 PM
Round robin is better.

In the old days the YEC was just like any other Tier 1 tournament, except with fewer players. it was just a bore. Nothing special.

This way, it's a real test to see who gets into the last eight, which makes the end of year match-ups interesting. In the normal year Top ten players often miss playing each other due to scheduling and draws. This way the top players get more chance to meet, so that match-ups you don't normally get to see actually happen.

I wouldn't support Round Robin for normal tournaments. But for the YEC, its the right thing.

-Sonic-
Nov 11th, 2006, 12:13 PM
Why do some complete retards tick all boxes?

I don't understand stupid people, I sometimes wonder how they are allowed to procreate.