PDA

View Full Version : why are players allowed as long as they like to make a challenge ??

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 10th, 2006, 02:23 PM
seen this plenty of times this week,
some taken around a min then they still allowed to make the challenge

umpire looks hopeless and gutless and say "ummmmm ok"

ATP umpires were much better and told the players you cant make challenge now, you taken too much time, player dont argue cos its his own damn fault, you cant disrupt the opponent by hanging around and waiting for a signal from your camp :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

random fan
Nov 10th, 2006, 02:29 PM
I saw on this tournament as Petrova made two challenges in a row after line judge mistakengly faulted her first serves. I say first get decent line judges

Corswandt
Nov 10th, 2006, 02:32 PM
you cant disrupt the opponent by hanging around and waiting for a signal from your camp :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I know who you're talking about, and I've noticed she's done this on other tournaments before. In one instance, her coach was actually caught on camera signalling "Don't bother".

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 10th, 2006, 02:34 PM
I know who you're talking about, and I've noticed she's done this on other tournaments before.

it wasnt just one person
Henin did this twice yesterday

went up to net, had a look, walked back, thought for a few secs
then made a decision to challenge :o

lynch79
Nov 10th, 2006, 02:38 PM
it wasnt just one person

LEAVE JUJU (Allez Martina!) ALONE!!!:mad:

Of course, if she loses today vs Amelie, you're totally right and I'll join you.:p

moby
Nov 10th, 2006, 02:40 PM
Partly because the umpire should be over-ruling some of the calls instead of forcing the players to challenge every one of them. It's the umpire's responsibility to do so, and if he/she can't and puts the onus back on the players, the players have the right to make sure of their decisions before challenging.

Ultimately, it still comes down to the umpires being increasingly hopeless and gutless and reliant on the technology. That's just my opinion, of course.

Corswandt
Nov 10th, 2006, 02:41 PM
it wasnt just one person

It was JHH I was talking about.

Presumably after getting a signal from Carlos Rodriguez telling her what to do. I saw him do so at the USO SF.

shibster
Nov 10th, 2006, 02:45 PM
yeah, the line judges stink so bad, the umpire is just glad to be calling scores, a decoration function.

i mean, why do the players need to call their own in and outs where this is a tournament, not like when i'm playing with my friends?

tenn_ace
Nov 10th, 2006, 02:56 PM
ppl I now from a good source that chair umpires HAVE BEEN TOLD not to basically overrule close calls and let players challenge it, so this issue really has to be put to bed. Umpires are not bad, they just follow what they are told to do.

now, why they give so much time? It's partially for the same reason as why they don't overrule. The challenge system is now an "entertaining" part of tennis which supposedly well recieved by fans and generates interest, so WTA and ATP want as many of those challenges on TV as possible.

Kim's_fan_4ever
Nov 10th, 2006, 03:00 PM
I don't know, maybe it's because the line umpires are so poor :o
Sometimes it also happens when a player haven't heard the line umpire's call and then when the chair umpire says the score she can ask for an challenge too. I happened in one match but I don't remember which players asked for it.

GoDominique
Nov 10th, 2006, 03:01 PM
ppl I now from a good source that chair umpires HAVE BEEN TOLD not to basically overrule close calls and let players challenge it, so this issue really has to be put to bed. Umpires are not bad, they just follow what they are told to do.
Well then this issue is not over by any means, since it's yet another example for terrible WTA decisions. :rolleyes:

They might as well let the players make the calls and remove the umpire altogether since their existence is no longer needed.

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 10th, 2006, 03:04 PM
its better when the Umpire over-rules and the player then goes against the Umpire and challenges
thats what we had in Madrid TMS and Paris TMS

Umpires over-ruled quite alot and they werent gutless like all the WTA umpires are........ where's Sandra :shrug:

tenn_ace
Nov 10th, 2006, 03:05 PM
Well then this issue is not over by any means, since it's yet another example for terrible WTA decisions. :rolleyes:

They might as well let the players make the calls and remove the umpire altogether since their existence is no longer needed.

This is not only WTA's decision, it's ATP's as well.

You are also forgetting that the challenge systems is only used on show courts and in the biggest tournaments. The absolute majority of the tournaments do not use it and will not for at least another couple of years.

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 10th, 2006, 03:08 PM
This is not only WTA's decision, it's ATP's as well.

You are also forgetting that the challenge systems is only used on show courts and in the biggest tournaments. The absolute majority of the tournaments do not use it and will not for at least another couple of years.

it's not the ATP way

the umpires at the TMS over-ruled alot of times like i just said above.

and when the player took too long to challenge, the Umpire just told the player, you cant challenge now, wasted too much time.

tenn_ace
Nov 10th, 2006, 03:10 PM
it's not the ATP way

the umpires at the TMS over-ruled alot of times like i just said above.

and when the player took too long to challenge, the Umpire just told the player, you cant challenge now, wasted too much time.

It's probably slightly better on ATP, but the premise is the same. Challenge system is important and it should be on TV.

matthias
Nov 10th, 2006, 03:38 PM
JHH only takes her Challenge when her coach tell her

eurosport commentator in germany said she should become a bit more self-depented on court :lol: