PDA

View Full Version : Any Chance Left For Hingis?

Jaffas85
Nov 10th, 2006, 11:03 AM
Now that Hingis has lost twice and only won once does she still have aother match left?

What happeneds if Mauresmo loses her upcoming match? How will the second semi final opponent be decided considering Petrova, Mauresmo and Hingis all would have lost twice each and won once?

Thanks.

natacha1
Nov 10th, 2006, 11:05 AM
Now that Hingis has lost twice and only won once does she still have aother match left?

What happeneds if Mauresmo loses her upcoming match? How will the second semi final opponent be decided considering Petrova, Mauresmo and Hingis all would have lost twice each and won once?

Thanks.

If Justine wins: Hingis is going to the semis.
She lost her 2 matches in 3 sets, Momo and Petrova each lost one in 2 sets.

Polikarpov
Nov 10th, 2006, 11:10 AM
Yes, she will go into the semis if Amelie loses to Justine.

It's a good thing that Martina's losses came in three sets. :)

littlepanda
Nov 10th, 2006, 11:12 AM
If JHH wins,Martina will go into semifinal

!<blocparty>!
Any chance of you being bothered to look for the 546846546584684654 other threads on this. :scratch:

Ben.
so there's still a chance 4 martina, don't count her out yet.

Jaffas85
Nov 10th, 2006, 11:19 AM
Oh good, hopefully Hingis does reach the semis though if she does I think it will be unlikely she can defeat Henin-Hardenne.

So Hingis will prolly be #6 after the YEC? Depending on how well Clijsters goes I suppose.

Michael Pemulis
Nov 10th, 2006, 11:30 AM
Here in Italy, Eurosport's commentators said if MoMo will lose to Justine...Petrova will get the Semi. The rationale is the following:
Marti, Nadia and Amelia would be 1w-2l all. So, in order to break that you to consider a mini theorical round robin between the 3 of them, do not consider Justine. That done, Nadia is the first 'cause has 3 sets won and 2 sets lost. Marti is 3 sets won and 3 sets lost. Momo is 2 sets won and 3 lost.
I don't know whether a rule like this really exists in Wta, but in italian soccer It works exactly like this and we call it "classifica avulsa".

Yours Pem

Mark for Martina
Nov 10th, 2006, 11:54 AM
Here in Italy, Eurosport's commentators said if MoMo will lose to Justine...Petrova will get the Semi. The rationale is the following:
Marti, Nadia and Amelia would be 1w-2l all. So, in order to break that you to consider a mini theorical round robin between the 3 of them, do not consider Justine. That done, Nadia is the first 'cause has 3 sets won and 2 sets lost. Marti is 3 sets won and 3 sets lost. Momo is 2 sets won and 3 lost.
I don't know whether a rule like this really exists in Wta, but in italian soccer It works exactly like this and we call it "classifica avulsa".

Yours Pem

1.. 2.. 3.. 4.. sets won for Martina.

frenchie
Nov 10th, 2006, 12:03 PM
Martina is 4-5 in sets won/lost
Nadia is 3-4 in sets won/lost which is obviously not enough

Amélie is 2-3 at the moment so even if she loses in 3 sets against JHH she'll be 3/5 in sets won/lost.
the only chance for Amélie to qualify is to win her last match against Henin no matter if she wins in 2 or 3!

simple

SloKid
Nov 10th, 2006, 12:15 PM
Oh good, hopefully Hingis does reach the semis though if she does I think it will be unlikely she can defeat Henin-Hardenne.
Yes, it will be highly unlikely, since they can't meet in the semis. :)

Jaffas85
Nov 10th, 2006, 12:18 PM
Yes, it will be highly unlikely, since they can't meet in the semis. :)

Sharapova then?

Sharapova may well be just as hard to beat considering how well she's been playing lately.

Kunal
Nov 10th, 2006, 12:35 PM
shes got an excellent chance id say

GoDominique
Nov 10th, 2006, 12:38 PM

Yours Pem
Such a rule doesn't exist in WTA. :)

ClaudiaZ-S
Nov 10th, 2006, 12:39 PM
:scratch:

pooh14
Nov 10th, 2006, 12:48 PM
guys, no point arguing this.
i think it is more or less confirm if amelie wins, she win go in, finishing top of her group. else hingis would go, no matter if the games goes 3 setter or 2.

kuchkuch
Nov 10th, 2006, 01:05 PM
guys, no point arguing this.
i think it is more or less confirm if amelie wins, she win go in, finishing top of her group. else hingis would go, no matter if the games goes 3 setter or 2.

Actually mauresmo has to win in 2 to finish atop.

pooh14
Nov 10th, 2006, 01:10 PM

yes, i think you are right.
i always thought if there is a tie between 2, head to head is taken into account first. but now it seems, amelie will only finish top of the group if she wins in straight sets.

Lady
Nov 10th, 2006, 01:14 PM

NO. It's NOT true.

Can't people read at all?

kuchkuch
Nov 10th, 2006, 01:19 PM
NO. It's NOT true.

Can't people read at all?

how come? would you care to elaborate?

Lady
Nov 10th, 2006, 01:27 PM
how come? would you care to elaborate?

Seriously, there're million threads on the topic, people have explained everything many, many times. How come you haven't read those?

pooh14
Nov 10th, 2006, 01:33 PM
Seriously, there're million threads on the topic, people have explained everything many, many times. How come you haven't read those?

KuchKuch is right.
Amelie need to win in 2 to top the group. If she wins in 3, she would be 2nd. the following statement if from the official site. It is even posted in another thread.

http://wwo.sonyericsson-championships.com/en/news/story/321.asp

"Current world No.1 Amelie Maursmo, who rallied from a set down to post a 36 61 64 win over No.8 Martina Hingis, will join Henin-Hardenne in the semis if she beats her on Friday in their final round robin match. If Mauresmo loses, she will finish fourth in the Yellow Group and give Hingis the right to play in the semis. If Mauresmo beats Henin-Hardenne in straight sets, she'll finish No.1 in the group, but if the Frenchwoman needs three sets, Henin-Hardenne is first. "

pooh14
Nov 10th, 2006, 01:34 PM
there is too many threads on the same topic, and everybody is getting confused.

Lady
Nov 10th, 2006, 01:44 PM
Official site is wrong. When 2 players are tied in wins, H2H decide.

It's really simple.

pooh14
Nov 10th, 2006, 02:03 PM
Official site is wrong. When 2 players are tied in wins, H2H decide.

It's really simple.

ya, thats what i always thought. unless it is a 3 way tie, then only sets are counted. i wonder why the site put it like that.

Filippo-Nastya
Nov 10th, 2006, 02:05 PM

Classifica avulsa :fiery: :fiery:
The reason of our early elimination at Euro 2004. :(