PDA

View Full Version : Martina Hingis: Most Entertaining Player in Madrid

hingisGOAT
Nov 10th, 2006, 07:27 AM
well you can hate her or love her all you want, but the fact remains that the three matches she has played so far have been the three most dramatic, entertaining, flairsome matches of the entire year end championships. while the rest of the players are busy pounding their worthless opponents into submission, hingis keeps the entertainment value at a maximum :cool:

it's not surprising: hingis participated in countless classic matches against williamsx2, davenport, capriati, graf, and seles during her first pro career. compare this with 2006: there have been VERY few high-quality three set matches between top players. in fact, excluding hingis/henin-hardenne matches this year, i'd say there have been exactly ZERO 'great' matches between top players. the sharapova/mauresmo showdowns were abominations.

so anyway, hingis saves this year's YEC from complete :yawn:

:banana:

Orion
Nov 10th, 2006, 07:29 AM
I don't know, the Wimbledon final was awfully good by this years standard (although it sucked in comparison to last year) and so was the Venus-Hingis Rome match.

Bowser
Nov 10th, 2006, 07:30 AM
yep, there was no doubt about it! :D

goldenlox
Nov 10th, 2006, 07:30 AM
I think Martina will be better next year.
She was starting this year without a ranking, without the confidence of winning matches.
Now she knows what it takes in today's game.
She will be tougher next year.

Bowser
Nov 10th, 2006, 07:31 AM
I think Martina will be better next year.
She was starting this year without a ranking, without the confidence of winning matches.
Now she knows what it takes in today's game.
She will be tougher next year.

yep, she probably would have beaten Mauresmo, but was just exhausted, so when she's fitter, I think she'll do even better!

hingisGOAT
Nov 10th, 2006, 07:34 AM
I don't know, the Wimbledon final was awfully good by this years standard (although it sucked in comparison to last year) and so was the Venus-Hingis Rome match.

i know, i was unclear: i meant to say that hingis and henin-hardenne are the only players who have participated in any match that has resembled any type of "greatness". i consider both matches you mentioned to be among the most entertaining matches this year, along with henin's clay-court battle with petrova and her aussie open fight versus sharapova.

but try to name memorable matches between top players this year that involved neither hingis nor henin: impossible

Kunal
Nov 10th, 2006, 08:12 AM
she certainly is value for money

Polikarpov
Nov 10th, 2006, 09:59 AM
...it's not surprising: hingis participated in countless classic matches against williamsx2, davenport, capriati, graf, and seles during her first pro career. compare this with 2006...

:banana:

I agree. And the best match for the past 30 years is the 99 RG Final. It wouldn't have won if not for marti!:)

bellascarlett
Nov 10th, 2006, 10:54 AM
I love Martina and all but all 3 matches in the YEC were dramatic for several reasons...one of them because Martina just couldn't dominate any matches with the type of game she has (unlike a sharapova) and two she was playing against 2 girls coming back from a long lay off. Look at the sets she lost against those two - she lost them easily.

But I have enjoyed her matches either way. She just gave me a headache because I couldn't understand why she couldn't capitalize on the momentum that was on her side. She still has so much to learn about competing at the highest level nowadays as I've said.

I'm sorry but there have been other great matches - Sharapova-Henin have played really high-quality, competitive, enjoyable matches this year - AO semi and Dubai. The Open was all Masha though. It takes two to make a match great.

frenchie
Nov 10th, 2006, 10:57 AM
I agree!!

I loved watching Martina play this year. She's so refreshing!!
She plays tennis like it should be played.
Sooo many entertaining matches

Ben.
Nov 10th, 2006, 11:16 AM
Funnily enough the only 3 setters at the YEC, martina was involved in each & every single one of them. so really it's only fair 2 say that she really brought in the climax of a thrilling tennis match, some of the other matches at the YEC were good though but martina's just top notched all of them.

well done martina & i hope u can improve & get even better for 2007!

pooh14
Nov 10th, 2006, 11:54 AM
Funnily enough the only 3 setters at the YEC, martina was involved in each & every single one of them. so really it's only fair 2 say that she really brought in the climax of a thrilling tennis match, some of the other matches at the YEC were good though but martina's just top notched all of them.

well done martina & i hope u can improve & get even better for 2007!

lol, i didnt realize that.
i always thought hingis fitness was bad, but i think she improved drastically in YEC.

The Crow
Nov 10th, 2006, 11:58 AM
I'm not a fan by any means, but you're absolutely right. Her matches have been the most entertaining by far!

tennisbear7
Nov 10th, 2006, 12:02 PM
But I have enjoyed her matches either way. She just gave me a headache because I couldn't understand why she couldn't capitalize on the momentum that was on her side. She still has so much to learn about competing at the highest level nowadays as I've said.

Well, if you look at how much she has progressed on one solitary year, then it's enough to say that next year she'll be giving the top players a lot of headaches in the slams because of her regained confidence and competing at the highest level.

Princeza
Nov 10th, 2006, 12:03 PM
so glad she's there, 2007 will be awesome

Justine Fan
Nov 10th, 2006, 12:06 PM
i know, i was unclear: i meant to say that hingis and henin-hardenne are the only players who have participated in any match that has resembled any type of "greatness". i consider both matches you mentioned to be among the most entertaining matches this year, along with henin's clay-court battle with petrova and her aussie open fight versus sharapova.

but try to name memorable matches between top players this year that involved neither hingis nor henin: impossible

Totally agree :yeah:

It's because they are not ballbashers !

LoveFifteen
Nov 10th, 2006, 01:53 PM
Give me has-been Martina v. has-been Venus ANY FREAKIN' DAY over peak Mauresmo v. peak Sharapova! :lol:

thrust
Nov 10th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Justine and Amelie also have great all court games with more power than Martina. I would love to see a Justin-Martina final or semi final!

Sund7101
Nov 10th, 2006, 02:33 PM
You have to admit she's one of the most entertaining players out there, and it's awesome that she's back!

le bon vivant
Nov 10th, 2006, 02:41 PM
this thread is so supergrunt-ish.

markhingis
Nov 10th, 2006, 02:44 PM
I definately agree with the thread title. She's bringing her best here and makes not only me bite nails. While she's back it will probably increase people's interest in women's tennis.

lynch79
Nov 10th, 2006, 02:47 PM
Her matches are always the most classy and entertaining.:hearts:

GogoGirl
Nov 10th, 2006, 02:57 PM
Hey All,

Since I had been commenting on how much the game & I missed Martina years ago and up until she returned - and that if she came back she would win more than she lost - I can't forget it. She's back - and since I enjoy watching her play - I was hoping she would win a couple of matches here. I am pulling for her.

Some didn't think she would make the last eight. She and James did it on their tippy toes - and I'm glad they did.

I agree - her matches have been entertaining. She's the same old "I'm in it to win it", Martina.

Funny note though. She was making what I'm sure she would call stupid mistakes - at times. And I thought - come on Martina - you know better than that or you know - you shouldn't have hit it there - and etc. But like I've always felt when she used to attribute those types of mistakes to the sisters back in the day - others were also making errors/mistakes, and just like they all do today. It's just that when Martina ruled - she kept her error count down.

alfonsojose
Nov 10th, 2006, 03:12 PM
Totally agree :yeah:

It's because they are not ballbashers !

I agree Juju isn't a ballbasher, but she has way more power than Hingis and against lesser players, she just overpowers them. I'd say she can be crafty but absolutely relies on sheer power. The price : injuries. Generating so much power being so small doesn't come without consecuences

alfonsojose
Nov 10th, 2006, 03:18 PM
On the other hand, Martina's matches have been amazing yes, but i'm shocked about the lack of power of her forehand, or lack of courage to flatten it out a bit more. More unforced errors will come, sure, but some short points too. She's getting older and just looping the ball back and wait belongs to the 90s

Kim's_fan_4ever
Nov 10th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Perhaps you're right. I mean, I watched the end of her match against Mauresmo.
After every point there was a smile on her face. It looked really nice ;)

Billabong
Nov 10th, 2006, 03:34 PM
Martina is definitely one of the most entertaining players ever:worship: She has been involved in SO many classics throughout her career, and has been involved in most of the best matches ever in the last 10 years;)! Some examples:

-1999 French Open Final Graf VS Hingis
-1999 US Open Semifinal Hingis VS Venus
-2000 Wimbledon Quarterfinal Venus VS Hingis
-2000 US Open Semifinal Venus VS Hingis
-2001 Australian Open Quarterfinal Hingis VS Serena
-2002 Australian Open Final Capriati VS Hingis

And she keeps being involved in many great matches:yeah:!

Shoulderpova
Nov 10th, 2006, 03:45 PM
How can people think Hingis is an entertaining player? She is boring like hell. As always!

Brooks.
Nov 10th, 2006, 03:51 PM
this thread is so supergrunt-ish.

"baby I swear it's deja vu" :p :o :help:

Vincent
Nov 10th, 2006, 03:57 PM
How can people think Hingis is an entertaining player? She is boring like hell. As always!

:( You know what "Boring" is?

LoveFifteen
Nov 10th, 2006, 04:02 PM

If you think Hingis is boring, then you don't appreciate tennis. :shrug:

markhingis
Nov 10th, 2006, 04:03 PM
How can people think Hingis is an entertaining player?

The answer is: They can!!

She is boring like hell.

Have you been in hell?

As always!

You were never right in your post!!

You must be one of those haters. Get lost!

Shoulderpova
Nov 10th, 2006, 04:07 PM
The answer is: They can!!

Have you been in hell?

You were never right in your post!!

You must be one of those haters. Get lost!

I didn't hide the fact that i never like her :shrug:
She is boring and it was my humble opinion. I have the right to express my thought :shrug:

LoveFifteen
Nov 10th, 2006, 04:21 PM
^^^

A Sharapova & Petrova fan calling Hingis boring. :o

Billabong
Nov 10th, 2006, 04:24 PM
I didn't hide the fact that i never like her :shrug:
She is boring and it was my humble opinion. I have the right to express my thought :shrug:

How can you find boring a player who can do anything on court, who has all the shots and who expresses her emotions? She can come up with any shot at anytime, she's anything but boring:o And if she's boring, how could she be involved in most of the greatest matches of the last decade?

RenaSlam.
Nov 10th, 2006, 04:30 PM
She's very fun to watch...that I will admit.

Chucky :hearts:

T-GIRL87
Nov 10th, 2006, 04:37 PM
Admiittedly, I have to agree. I think Hingis has been the most "alive" player so far this year. Where as everybody else just seems kind of dead to me. I also think alot of it has to do with the fact she did indeed come from a rather competitive era of tennis. I'm not even a fan of hers, but I hope she stays.

TonyP
Nov 10th, 2006, 04:48 PM
Is Hingis entertaining?

How could a player who hits drop shots, lobs, volleys, serves and volleys, goes corner to corner from the baseline, hits impeccable swing volleys from mid court, possible be considered anything but entertaining?

How can a player who smiles when she makes great shots, grins when she misses, squeels when she makes bad mistakes and has one of the cutest and most feminine looks of any player out there, be anything but entertaining?

It's called personality, something missing on court and off from so many tennis players. That, plus her imaginative game, is why fans all across the world stood up and cheered when she returned and have been standing and cheering for her every place she's played.

G1Player2
Nov 10th, 2006, 04:49 PM
Is Hingis entertaining?

How could a player who hits drop shots, lobs, volleys, serves and volleys, goes corner to corner from the baseline, hits impeccable swing volleys from mid court, possible be considered anything but entertaining?

How can a player who smiles when she makes great shots, grins when she misses, squeels when she makes bad mistakes and has one of the cutest and most feminine looks of any player out there, be anything but entertaining?

It's called personality, something missing on court and off from so many tennis players. That, plus her imaginative game, is why fans all across the world stood up and cheered when she returned and have been standing and cheering for her every place she's played.

:rolleyes:

LoveFifteen
Nov 10th, 2006, 04:50 PM
Is Hingis entertaining?

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

morningglory
Nov 10th, 2006, 04:52 PM
If you think Hingis is boring, then you don't appreciate tennis. :shrug:

Well some people find that toying around the net and DS's and lobs and slices and running around are a bit annoying... impatient people typically, including me :o I just think "Heck if you had hit that one DTL and real hard the point would've been over already, DUH! Win the point already!"

I appreciate the style when it is played on clay tho... since the power game doesn't work there and the power players turn out to be the ones having problems finishing points off :o

le bon vivant
Nov 10th, 2006, 06:21 PM
Well the most entertaining player is cleaning out her hotel room now.
Damn. :sad:

LoveFifteen
Nov 10th, 2006, 06:29 PM

No, she's having crazy monkey sex cuz she doesnt' have to conserve her energy for a SF any more. :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

TonyP
Nov 10th, 2006, 07:14 PM
morningglory

It's a little like sex. If its great, why would you want it to be over with quickly? Got something better to do?

Brashkoala
Nov 10th, 2006, 11:07 PM
i defenitely agree. all the best matches were with martina. martina i love you. imo, you are playing top five tennis. please plan a great schedule next year and play agressive tennis just like in this tournament.

ps. please lower your service toss so you can rely on your serve.

IceHock
Nov 10th, 2006, 11:21 PM

If I was her, i'd be partying considering the comeback year she had.

metamorpha
Nov 10th, 2006, 11:21 PM
Pretty amazing year for Martina, even though she screwed half-end of the season but somehow she can get #7 ranking and her performance at YEC is very good despite her weak conditions.

Now enjoy ur rest and raise ur game in 2007. I hope you learn how to break through Top 5 from your win and loss at YEC. :lol:

Ryan
Nov 10th, 2006, 11:23 PM
morningglory

It's a little like sex. If its great, why would you want it to be over with quickly? Got something better to do?

ROTF. I guess some people have bad real-life experiences.

IceHock
Nov 10th, 2006, 11:23 PM
What I like about Hingis is that she speaks her mind and says it in front of everyone, not like every other girl who says "well what happens in the lockerroom stays in the lockerroom. She says what she wants and she shows her flare on the court, she brings that extra something and it's nice changeup from seeing hardhitters play basicly everyday.

Buitenzorg
Nov 10th, 2006, 11:38 PM
she will be tougher and better next season ;)

you watch she would win a GS title ;)

Barlos
Nov 10th, 2006, 11:47 PM
she will be tougher and better next season ;)

you watch she would win a GS title ;)

Martina's comeback year was as good as anyone could have predicted but she needs to build on it in 2007 and certainly do better in grand slams.

The signs she gave us in Madrid were certainly very encouraging :)