PDA

View Full Version : why don't players use the forehand slice more?

brent-o
Nov 10th, 2006, 06:21 AM
For me at least, I can use it as a weapon and throw it in occasionally to throw the opponent off guard. I wonder why the pros don't use it that often(other than when on complete defense).

LeonHart
Nov 10th, 2006, 06:27 AM
Usually when the ball goes to the forehand, the player is looking to attack. Most player's weapons are their forehand wing that I know of.

brent-o
Nov 10th, 2006, 06:29 AM
Usually when the ball goes to the forehand, the player is looking to attack. Most player's weapons are their forehand wing that I know of.

Yeah but it's such a fun shot when implemented right. Gear up like you're about to crack a forehand then add some heavy slice and watch it draw the error. Well I guess the pros move too well for it to be a real weapon.

Wannabeknowitall
Nov 10th, 2006, 06:34 AM
It's a tough grip change to just hide.
Novotna had a forehand slice but she also had a grip between eastern and continental which is great for an attacking forehand slice.

A lot of these pro players have a western or semi-western grip on their forehand and it makes it hard to make a perfect switch.

Martina found that out against Kim this week.
Justine saw Martina coming to net in the first set so she hit a short slice and Martina tried to attack with a slice forehand.
Martina shanked it badly.

jazar
Nov 10th, 2006, 06:50 AM
players don't use a slice forehand anymore because we are not living in the 1930s

Orion
Nov 10th, 2006, 07:37 AM
It's an awkward position for the wrist, so it doesn't work as effectively for a pro compared to the backhand. Also, it doesn't carry the momentum of the point forward, so it's kind of a rallying tactic rather than a get-to-the-net tactic, which means why not just hit a winner from the baseline? The players who should really think of developing a forehand slice are Kuznetsova and Dementieva. It would throw people off BIG TIME, and give them options beyond blasting the skin off the ball.

Orion
Nov 10th, 2006, 07:38 AM
It's a tough grip change to just hide.
Novotna had a forehand slice but she also had a grip between eastern and continental which is great for an attacking forehand slice.

A lot of these pro players have a western or semi-western grip on their forehand and it makes it hard to make a perfect switch.

Martina found that out against Kim this week.
Justine saw Martina coming to net in the first set so she hit a short slice and Martina tried to attack with a slice forehand.
Martina shanked it badly.

PERFECTLY SAID!!! :worship: :worship:

die_wahrheit
Nov 10th, 2006, 08:34 AM
Look at this Romanian girl Niculescu at NO 221 in the rankings.
She always plays the forehand as slice. In every situation.
I hope, she sometimes climbs up the rankings and shows on the big courts. Would be interesting.

Dunlop1
Nov 10th, 2006, 08:43 AM
For me at least, I can use it as a weapon and throw it in occasionally to throw the opponent off guard. I wonder why the pros don't use it that often(other than when on complete defense).

People don't use the forehand slice anymore because there are more effective options off the forehand wing.

For instance, if player A slices to player B's backhand, player B will likely slice it back. (Percentage tennis is to slice a slice) especially if player B has a 1 handed backhand. If player A sliced to player B's forehand, player B can attack the slice with a topspin forehand, a reverse forehand etc more offensive shots than a forehand slice.

Fabrice Santoro on the men's side hits basically a 2 handed forehand slice as his forehand and it is clearly his weaker wing.
Hitting a forehand slice is a good way to get on the defensive in a point real quick.

Another thing is slices are lower percentage than flat or topspin shots. The underspin causes the ball to travel further so it has to be hit closer to the net if you are going to hit an offensive slice. Whereas topspin causes the ball to dip down into the court so you can hit it offensively with more net celarance and it will still drop in.
This is critical if you are hitting with power and pace.

What level do you play? You need to play better people if people aren't eating up your slices.
Once I see my opponent is slicing I get to that ball FAST. Get into position, BEND MY KNEES and hit a topspin drive. Usually my opponents slices have sidespin on them as well so the ball ends up moving away from me so the more reason I have to get there quickly. Also to get the ball before it gets too low. Slices give me NO trouble now.

The only time I hit a forehand slice is when I'm pulled out wide and I hit a squash-shot type slice to get back into the point or I'll hit a forehand slice-lob to buy me time to get back into position.

faboozadoo15
Nov 10th, 2006, 08:43 AM
it's hard to control, hard to disguise, and not very aggressive.

also, it's so easy to loop a forehand back into the court from any position without much risk. it's a different story on the backhand, hence the slice.

Dunlop1
Nov 10th, 2006, 08:47 AM
The only time I would recommend using a forehand slice would be on return of 2nd serve, if you were chipping and charging.
Then you could chip the 2nd serve and come in behind it.
AND it should only be used on a court which takes the spin so if you played on grass, it would be perfect.
If you play on hardcourts it's just an effort in futility.

Hawn
Nov 10th, 2006, 08:50 AM
I've seen Hingis use it effectively during a match. With Kournikova, she would slice it to her forehand because she has such flat forehands, and Kournikova would send it to the net.

Louis Cyphre
Nov 10th, 2006, 08:51 AM
players don't use a slice forehand anymore because we are not living in the 1930s

:lol:

Beny
Nov 10th, 2006, 08:55 AM
It`s the stupidest shot ever. I hate it. Once I played against a guy who sliced evry forehand. He cound`t play tennis at all/well. I nearly lost it because he gave everything back. He ABSOLUTELY didn`t attack. I was younger and couldn`t just finish off the rally with some fast shot. I made a lot of mistakes then.
Forehand slice is :o

Ben.
Nov 10th, 2006, 09:03 AM
forehand slice would be a good shot 2 off put your opponent but basically these days the girls like 2 use there forehand as weapon by whacking it hard & flat rather than slice it. plus forehand these days is deadly in the women's game if you have one.

crazillo
Nov 10th, 2006, 09:25 AM
The FH slice is good when you are on the run and scramble hard for the ball. It can throw off your opponenet then due to the strange spin it gets. But overall the FH slice is just not good enough compared to the normal FH. You can use it for the drop-shot for sure though. :)
A nice thing to use is the FH slice as a return sometimes though. Novotna did that quite often. It need to have a good length though, otherwise it doesn't really work too well. And you shouldn't only rely on that, but it is a good thing to surprise one time or another...

Kunal
Nov 10th, 2006, 10:03 AM
yea i think a forehand slice.....can be attacked upon really nicely...especially in this day and age

unless u are really smart and hit angled flat slices with spin on it

Wannabeknowitall
Nov 10th, 2006, 05:50 PM
Justine just hit a perfect slice forehand in the 2nd set tiebreaker against Mauresmo.
Very beautiful.
I think it can put a player off guard once in a while but trying to depend on it as a crucial shot in a player's game is just asking for trouble, just ask Kristina Brandi.

Steffica Greles
Nov 10th, 2006, 06:16 PM
Good question.

Firstly, there are no serve and volleyers now. The last to regularly use a sliced forehand was Jana Novotna in the 1990s. The sliced ball makes a great approach shot.

Secondly, the shot is stigmatised -- particularly from the forehand. It's a little like the under-arm serve or the moon ball in that sense. If a player uses an occasional sliced forehand to break her opponent's rhythmn, then that's seen as judicious. But if she continuously executes the shot, she is deemed not to be playing with the level of aggression requisite to pro-actively win the match. While such a ploy would be within the rules, it conflicts with tennis etiquette. Sliced forehands would also do the image of women's tennis no favours in terms of it being seen as a strenuous, athletic sport.

But I don't agree with all that. I think it would be great to see a few players utilizing the shot. Sanchez-Vicario often used the sliced forehand jab and it did incredible damage to the likes of Graf and Seles. Of course, Aranxta also hit topspin forehands. The point is it was interesting to watch her employ the shot.

CoryAnnAvants#1
Nov 10th, 2006, 06:30 PM
I think it's a little bit impractical to use a forehand slice during a baseline rally, but it's a great way to simply block a big serve (provided you don't do it every single time.) I still believe a forehand slice is a more effective way to approach the net than simply drilling the ball. If you hit a low slice, all your opponent can do is scoop the ball back up and then you've got an easy volley to knock off.