PDA

View Full Version : YEC Did you know...

twight6
Nov 10th, 2006, 03:40 AM
Did you know, that for the Year-Ending Championships, the WTA Tour has the right to pick the 8th player :eek:??? I read it in the official rules. Something along the lines of:

"The Sony Ericsson WTA Tour reserves the right to choose the 8th qualifier for the year-ending championships. If they waive this right, the 8th position on the race rankings will determine that player."

Have they ever picked the 8th one??? The only time i could EVER see doing it is if like, for example, a player won like 3/4 grand slams and lost 1st round at all the other events, and finished like 10th or something :shrug:.

Erika_Angel
Nov 10th, 2006, 03:44 AM
I think it is just incase a GS champ doesnt make the champs for some reason. I believe in the men's event that a GS gives automatic entry into the champs, no matter what your year ending rank is. Is that right?

PLP
Nov 10th, 2006, 03:45 AM
Did you know, that for the Year-Ending Championships, the WTA Tour has the right to pick the 8th player :eek:??? I read it in the official rules. Something along the lines of:

"The Sony Ericsson WTA Tour reserves the right to choose the 8th qualifier for the year-ending championships. If they waive this right, the 8th position on the race rankings will determine that player."

Have they ever picked the 8th one??? The only time i could EVER see doing it is if like, for example, a player won like 3/4 grand slams and lost 1st round at all the other events, and finished like 10th or something :shrug:.

Whoa...no, I don't think they have ever done this and I don't think it really could or should happen, there would be a huge uproar from the player that qualified and it could get really messy :tape:

Hingiswinsthis
Nov 10th, 2006, 03:46 AM
well at this case, they have the perfect 8th player for this field :-) The Hingis, Williams sisters, and Capriati, and Davenport era brought a different feeling than the one Hingis is facing. The ironic thing is that Hingis is the only one left right now combating this new wave of players.

anlavalle
Nov 10th, 2006, 03:47 AM
not exactly, the GS champ has to be in the top 20 at least

kittyking
Nov 10th, 2006, 03:49 AM
not exactly, the GS champ has to be in the top 20 at least

Not only that, they also have to have competed in a Wta event in the last 8 months

PLP
Nov 10th, 2006, 03:53 AM
well at this case, they have the perfect 8th player for this field :-) The Hingis, Williams sisters, and Capriati, and Davenport era brought a different feeling than the one Hingis is facing. The ironic thing is that Hingis is the only one left right now combating this new wave of players.

:lol: Definitely!
Nobody a year ago could have predicted that Martina would be the one from this group to be at the 2006 YEC, challenging for a spot in the semis! Brilliant!!

tennisbear7
Nov 10th, 2006, 04:12 AM
:worship: Martina.

No one should underestimate her anymore. She'll be seriously challenging for the slams next year. Phenomenal effort, similar to how Clijsters elevated herself to effectively the number one player of the year last year. :worship:

Kunal
Nov 10th, 2006, 06:48 AM
im jus happy that martina is being very competetive...her first year has been a success

klok
Nov 10th, 2006, 08:01 AM
Irrelevant if Martina makes the semis or not in the YEC, her first year back on the tour can only been seen as a success IMO. She isn't as dominant as she was before but can still be a legitimate chance for GS titles in the future.