PDA

View Full Version : Mauresmo's backhand is overrated: Anyone else agree?

fufuqifuqishahah
Nov 10th, 2006, 03:38 AM
Ok. I'm not trying to hate on Mauresmo's game. I think she has a very good all-court, all-around game is very effective. I'm just wondering why her backhand is rated as high as it is by so many people here on wtaworld. I have felt this way for a while now, but I seem to be against the norm. So I create a thread about it now, in the midst of the wta championships where we can see her play against some top players a lot.

Her backhand can be impressive and in general it is solid. She has much variety and guise with it as well. She can be aggressive with it too! However, I feel like she mishits the backhand waaaay to often to be considered as effective as the truly consistent & effective backhands in the game such as Davenport, Hingis, or Henin-Hardenne. Though it's beautiful and awesome for a one-handed backhand, in general, I think it's not all that great.

Lefty.
Nov 10th, 2006, 03:41 AM
I find her topspin a little bit awkward, but her slice is very beautiful. I think it has to do with the grip because Henin's slice isn't quite as penetrating and biting as Mauresmo's. However, Henin's topspin is more aggressive in my opinion; more flat and deep in the court.

Wayn77
Nov 10th, 2006, 03:42 AM
I like Ame's game (loads of variety) and her backhand in particular - loads of top-spin and depth. But the shot lacks pace, with more bumpX10 it would be a killer weapon.

Dunlop1
Nov 10th, 2006, 03:49 AM
Ok. I'm not trying to hate on Mauresmo's game. I think she has a very good all-court, all-around game is very effective. I'm just wondering why her backhand is rated as high as it is by so many people here on wtaworld. I have felt this way for a while now, but I seem to be against the norm. So I create a thread about it now, in the midst of the wta championships where we can see her play against some top players a lot.

Her backhand can be impressive and in general it is solid. She has much variety and guise with it as well. She can be aggressive with it too! However, I feel like she mishits the backhand waaaay to often to be considered as effective as the truly consistent & effective backhands in the game such as Davenport, Hingis, or Henin-Hardenne. Though it's beautiful and awesome for a one-handed backhand, in general, I think it's not all that great.

Mauresmo's backhand is as solid as they come. Justine, when she is off, shanks the ball WAY more than Amelie (when Amelie is off).
It's a one-handed BH. Higher shank factor than 2 handed. Even Roger Federer shanks his BHs quite a bit.

The beauty of Mauresmo's backhand is that she can hit heavy topspin, flat, slice (and a biting one at that). SHe is very athletic and can jump into the backhand. Her timing is impeccable.
Her backhand definitely hasn't been at its best this YEC though so I see what you are saying but her backhand is awesome!

However Justine's topspin backhand TOTALLY OWNS. I mean the way she jumps on return of serve's with that thing is so amazing :worship:

anlavalle
Nov 10th, 2006, 04:19 AM
of course not, she has a very beautiful and effective backhand, it`s not at her best now but is not overrated

darrinbaker00
Nov 10th, 2006, 04:22 AM
Mauresmo's backhand is as solid as they come. Justine, when she is off, shanks the ball WAY more than Amelie (when Amelie is off).
It's a one-handed BH. Higher shank factor than 2 handed. Even Roger Federer shanks his BHs quite a bit.
Shank? I've seen Roger flat-out WHIFF a few backhands. ;)

Dan23
Nov 10th, 2006, 04:26 AM
In a way people get excited about 1 hand backhands because they are far less common than the 2 handers. Thats not to say Amelies is over-rated because it is a reliable shot and she does a fair bit of damage with it. To form a 1 hand backhand into a weapon against any sort of ball is pretty impressive.

PLP
Nov 10th, 2006, 04:30 AM
of course not, she has a very beautiful and effective backhand, it`s not at her best now but is not overrated

Exactly, It's a great shot but it isn't quite there right now (though neither is Martina's), but it was 1000X better against Hingis than Petrova, so her timing is getting there!
It's an incredible shot though.

tennisbear7
Nov 10th, 2006, 04:59 AM
I think that it does more damage than people really think. It really gets people off their timing and that's why she's had so much success against Justine who just LOVES rhythm, which is why she beats nearly every power player there is out there.

It's not as flashy as HH's backhand, but in my opinion it's nearly as good because she has more variety on it than HH. In conclusion, Ame's backhand is not overrated but it is surely the highlight of her wonderful all-court game. Allez HH and allez Momo. Now that's something - a person cheering for both Justine and Momo :haha:

vogus
Nov 10th, 2006, 05:06 AM
nah. It's a great backhand. She won two GS titles this year on the strength of that shot and her net game. It's not overrated.

esquímaux
Nov 10th, 2006, 05:12 AM
.. I mean the way she jumps on return of serve's with that thing is so amazing :worship::lol: She's a beast with it!

miss_molik
Nov 10th, 2006, 06:44 AM
I don't look at anyone elses backhands, i think Juju's beats them all. Hers is just amazing to watch.

tennisbear7
Nov 10th, 2006, 07:13 AM
I don't look at anyone elses backhands, i think Juju's beats them all. Hers is just amazing to watch.

Irrelevant post

Kunal
Nov 10th, 2006, 07:19 AM
from what i remember from 2 yrs ago....her backhand i think was second only to justines....

tennisbear7
Nov 10th, 2006, 07:30 AM
Justine's backhand only beats Ame's backhand by a bit.

However, the difference is that Justine relies on her forehand to do most of the damage and Ame relies on her backhand to squeeze herself into her opponents' head.

jazar
Nov 10th, 2006, 07:58 AM
i agree, its overrated. sometimes she kinda leans away from it and flicks it a bit, so thats probably why she mishits it sometimes.
juju's single hander is so much better.

Buitenzorg
Nov 10th, 2006, 08:04 AM
Justine's BH is way better ;)

Amelie's BH is good as well ;) not as good as Justine though!

Orion
Nov 10th, 2006, 08:32 AM
Mauresmo's backhand is the best in the business when it comes down to this: getting to the net, and winning at the net. She can slice better than any player on tour, by a lot, and her backhand volleys are absolutely authoritative. There's no player I'd be more frustrated about playing on grass, simply because she doesn't play like anyone else.