PDA

View Full Version : Performances vindicate Hingis's comeback decision

lukehingis
Nov 10th, 2006, 12:09 AM
from yahoo sports

MADRID, Nov 9 (Reuters) - Former world number one Martina Hingis (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/3799/) said that her performances at this week's season-ending WTA Championships vindicated her decision to return to the professional circuit after a three-year lay-off.

"I feel that after these three days I'm playing my best tennis again," the 26-year-old told a news conference on Thursday after her three-set defeat by defending champion Amelie Mauresmo (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/166/). "I haven't played like this all season and these matches are the reasons why I came back."

Hingis also lost to Justine Henin-Hardenne (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/319/) in three sets but beat Nadia Petrova (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/196/) and will make the semi-finals of the tournament if the Belgian beats Mauresmo in the final round-robin match.

The Swiss, who won the Championships in 1998 and 2000, decided to leave the circuit at the end of 2002 after being plagued by ankle and foot injuries, but returned to action on a full-time basis at the start of this season.
"I can only be proud of myself and I've done more than I expected in these three days. I don't regret for a second coming back.
"I've shown that I am capable of playing with the best and my aim is to continue like this at the start of next season. If I play more matches like this I can only get better." "I will definitely watch the (Henin-Hardenne - Mauresmo) match on TV and maybe live," said Hingis. "I don't like relying on other people, but there is still a chance to get there."

---------------

Happy for her and glad she came back. She made 2006 very interesting. Regardless of whether she makes it to the SF, it's been a good tournament for her. Well Done, martina!!

that said... go Justine!!!:bounce:

CrossCourt~Rally
Nov 10th, 2006, 12:23 AM
So true :worship:

LH2HBH
Nov 10th, 2006, 12:25 AM
:hearts:

Hawn
Nov 10th, 2006, 12:29 AM
Yes Martina, you should be very proud of yourself:worship:

alwayshingis
Nov 10th, 2006, 12:32 AM
If she hadn't been placed in the hard group, she would have had an easier road to the semis.

All 4 of the people in the yellow group are very deserving and playing quite well.

This is really an encouraging week for women's tennis.

Nicolás89
Nov 10th, 2006, 12:35 AM
we all are proud of you martina and yes you played some good tennis this week:worship:
keep it up girl!!!:wavey:

Buitenzorg
Nov 10th, 2006, 12:41 AM
Hingis :kiss:

This is way I love about you ;)

Buitenzorg
Nov 10th, 2006, 12:42 AM
another one :bounce: I am so happy!

go hingis
Nov 10th, 2006, 12:44 AM
Martina I can only be proud of you to. Keep it going!

lynch79
Nov 10th, 2006, 12:46 AM
Martina you're fantastic!:hearts:

Steffica Greles
Nov 10th, 2006, 12:47 AM
Hingis' decision to come back didn't need vindication. It was her decision. If she was ranked #500 and was happy then she would have been vindicated.

How successful has she been? Well that's all relative to what one expected, I suppose. It has been successful relative to what I expected from her. She's done very well.

But I can't see her going significantly further, as I've said many, many times already.

kittyking
Nov 10th, 2006, 12:53 AM
Shes definately one of the smartest sportswoman of all time :kiss: love to see you back to your best Martina

treufreund
Nov 10th, 2006, 12:58 AM
Hingis' decision to come back didn't need vindication. It was her decision. If she was ranked #500 and was happy then she would have been vindicated.

How successful has she been? Well that's all relative to what one expected, I suppose. It has been successful relative to what I expected from her. She's done very well.

But I can't see her going significantly further, as I've said many, many times already.

and yet you probably did not see her taking a set of juju, beating nadia the next day and pushing momo to 64 in the 3rd on her third consecutive day of 3-setters? and, well, if you did see her doing that then you have high expectations of her.:)

mauresmofan
Nov 10th, 2006, 01:15 AM
I'm certainly not a Hingis supporter but I have to say she has done really well on her comeback and it's great to see someone doing something different on the court and using all of the court. She's great for the game and adds another dimension to tennis.

Lenafan
Nov 10th, 2006, 01:16 AM
Some of Hingis' comments towards the end of the year sounded discouraging unlike this one. Sounds like she has identified what she needs to do and work on to get even better results next year.

Steffica Greles
Nov 10th, 2006, 01:24 AM
and yet you probably did not see her taking a set of juju, beating nadia the next day and pushing momo to 64 in the 3rd on her third consecutive day of 3-setters? and, well, if you did see her doing that then you have high expectations of her.:)

You'll find in another thread that I gave her an even chance of qualifying.

I think that Petrova, Mauresmo and Henin are all better players over all, but Mauresmo was injured and unmotivated (in my opinion) coming into the YEC, Henin injured also, Petrova liable to be exhausted. On top of that, I've never said that Hingis doesn't have the ability to pull off isolated wins. Maybe even back-to-back wins. But it takes so much out of her that she is toast in the third match. As it is, she lost her second match.

I actually thought she'd defeat Mauresmo and Petrova would have too much for her. So I got that the wrong way around.

As for winning sets, that's not important. It counts for nothing in all other events.

Martian KC
Nov 10th, 2006, 02:01 AM
Wow, now you're talking out of your ass, steffica.

Sund7101
Nov 10th, 2006, 02:04 AM
Martina's comeback has juch been a joy, I love watching her play. She has a style unlike any other. Her comeback has been phenominal and she's right there at the top of the game and next year she will only go up, heck she's not even out of the Championships, good luck JHH.

PLP
Nov 10th, 2006, 02:12 AM
Martina!!! :kiss:

Her matches have really made this tournament interesting so far...Thanks For Fighting Marti!!! :worship:

franny
Nov 10th, 2006, 02:13 AM
I love you Martina!!! You have nothing to prove to anyone, just go out there and fight like you have these past few matches!! I really really hope that you make it to the semis, you deserve it after all your fight. I love you girl!!!!!

LoveFifteen
Nov 10th, 2006, 02:34 AM
When I think how on this date last year, all of us Martina fans thought we might never see her again, and now she's back abd competing well in the YEC ... I just want to cry tears of joy. Chucky, we missed you so bad, and you've made my year so much better by coming back!!! :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

P.S. Marti announced her comeback on my birthday!!! :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

charmedRic
Nov 10th, 2006, 02:35 AM
So true :worship:

Ditto.

~Kiera~
Nov 10th, 2006, 02:39 AM
Martina :yeah:

fufuqifuqishahah
Nov 10th, 2006, 02:40 AM
If she hadn't been placed in the hard group, she would have had an easier road to the semis.

All 4 of the people in the yellow group are very deserving and playing quite well.

This is really an encouraging week for women's tennis.

Minus mauresmo's first performance, I completely agree with the yellow group.

There's been more crap performances in the red group.

spencercarlos
Nov 10th, 2006, 02:48 AM

You said in another thread without any real basement or argument that Hingis "should" have won against Henin because her style suits her :lol:

I think that Petrova, Mauresmo and Henin are all better players over all, but Mauresmo was injured and unmotivated (in my opinion) coming into the YEC, Henin injured also, Petrova liable to be exhausted. On top of that, I've never said that Hingis doesn't have the ability to pull off isolated wins. Maybe even back-to-back wins. But it takes so much out of her that she is toast in the third match. As it is, she lost her second match.

whatever man go away, you are boring, saying the same hating ridiculous things time after time.
Get over it, Hingis was placed in a group where she played 3 straight top 5 players and was the ONLY player in the YEC to play three setters in 3 straight days.

And if you would have seem any of the matches you should know Hingis was not playing against injured/tired or unmotivated players.

Nadia was coming red hot lately form that produced a tournament win and two finals beating great-good players along the way Kuznetsova, Vaidisova (twice), Hantuchova, Zvonareva, Likotseva, Peer among them. And rested for a week before coming in to the masters despite having comitted to play Haslet the prior week.

Henin Hardene is playing some pretty good tennis despite being out for 6-7 weeks she came back strong at this event and is playing great tennis, already in the semis.

Mauresmo seemed unmotivated, but she put the effort and probably seeing that Hingis was tired, for obvious reasons, third straight top 5 player and the third straight three setter i think that´s enough for a lot of people, let alone someone who a year ago was not even playing tournments, ok lets say no even 3 year ago.

Its not a surprise that Mauresmo does this, after all, last year we all remmember how she "could not stand anymore" and ended up winning the masters and two grand slams in less than a year.

Yet again if you knew about tennis a little bit, you should know that Henin and Mauresmo are players that can hurt Hingis the most, because of the way the can hit the ball and move around the court. Lets not even get into the acomplishments of all three women for the year that Hingis had to face for her group, you get a bunch of tittles, 3 grand slams won, 3 other finals, and so on.

I actually thought she'd defeat Mauresmo and Petrova would have too much for her. So I got that the wrong way around.

As for winning sets, that's not important. It counts for nothing in all other events.
Once again going by this and what you said in the thread after she lost to Henin at the YEC, Hingis then should have won all three matches at the YEC :lol:
Sorry but you lose all credibility when you expect such especially at this stage where Hingis herself was not as good as she was in the first half of the season, and got some BAD results and loses along the way.
So if Hingis wins, oh yeah it was expected :rolleyes: and if she loses, of shame on her she should have won against these top 5 players :lol:
You are LAUGHABLE :lol: Hater.
:wavey:

mboyle
Nov 10th, 2006, 03:01 AM

Petrova is not a better player. That's not debatable. Hingis will always have a bad record against Kim, Masha, Juju and Amelie. She will win a majority of her matches against everyone else, barring Kuznetsova, and the two of them always put up a dog fight.

Hingis probably can't get back to number one, and she will need a lot of help winning another slam. However, she can definitely be a solid top five player, and, with the amount of injuries in women's tennis, she has a very real chance at taking another slam at some point.

mboyle
Nov 10th, 2006, 03:07 AM
When I think how on this date last year, all of us Martina fans thought we might never see her again, and now she's back abd competing well in the YEC ... I just want to cry tears of joy. Chucky, we missed you so bad, and you've made my year so much better by coming back!!! :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

P.S. Marti announced her comeback on my birthday!!! :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

This is SOOOO true! I always thought she might come back, but, after she lost to Weingartner in Thailand and then did not enter any other events, I became convinced that she would never come back full time, and her injuries would really prevent her from finishing her career. When she announced her comeback, I was flabbergasted. I thought it was an early April Fools Joke or something. I did not honestly believe it until Gold Coast actually started. The fact that she was able to take four years off completely, with her style of play, and come back and put herself in the position to finish the year in the top five, to make the YEC and to win a tier one title, that is just astounding.

Will I be impressed if she doesn't crack the top five and stay there next year? Not really, because I know that's what she's capable of, and that's where she was when she left. However, as long as she's happy, I'm happy.

TennisSTUD
Nov 10th, 2006, 03:26 AM
I am 100% about Martina always have and always will but I really do hope to see her beat the top players a bit more next year not just take a set, Go for more of her shots, the shots we all know she has.:worship:

PLP
Nov 10th, 2006, 03:36 AM
:haha: Now I have this mental image of Martina sitting in the stands for the Jujumomo match and cheering for Justine. :o

Marti said she would either be there or watching on TV :lol:
She would probably root for JUJU anyway, they seem to get on much better...

metamorpha
Nov 10th, 2006, 03:40 AM
No matter what happened, into semis or not, Martina had proven it, she didn't let anyone to feel ease until their last matches :lol:

PLP
Nov 10th, 2006, 03:40 AM
I am 100% about Martina always have and always will but I really do hope to see her beat the top players a bit more next year not just take a set, Go for more of her shots, the shots we all know she has.:worship:

well, she did that against Momo in the 3rd set but she was just too tired, and she made some costly errors because of it...

I do agree though that in the 3rd set against Justine she needed to take (and make) more chances, but still, a fine performance Marti :worship:

Kworb
Nov 10th, 2006, 03:54 AM
Get over it, Hingis was placed in a group where she played 3 straight top 5 players and was the ONLY player in the YEC to play 3 straight days.
Petrova also played three days in a row Tue-Thu and Kuznetsova and Clijsters play Wed-Fri. ;)

moby
Nov 10th, 2006, 03:57 AM
:haha: Now I have this mental image of Martina sitting in the stands for the Jujumomo match and cheering for Justine. :oShe gets along better with Justine than Amelie, so I wouldn't be surprised. Unless Amelie had to win for her to qualify. :lol:

spencercarlos
Nov 10th, 2006, 03:58 AM
Petrova also played three days in a row Tue-Thu and Kuznetsova and Clijsters play Wed-Fri. ;)
SOrry i edited i meant to say 3 consecutive three set matches in 3 days :)

purplerain
Nov 10th, 2006, 04:16 AM
:hatoff:

Bowser
Nov 10th, 2006, 07:29 AM
she's done herself proudly, and all martians are delighted with her! :worship: :hatoff:

Just think, when she's fitter, she'll do even better! :banana:

Kunal
Nov 10th, 2006, 08:15 AM
henin should win anyway....so im happy for hingis

spencercarlos
Nov 11th, 2006, 04:21 PM

Once again after today´s semifinals performances trash talkers are proved wrong.
Henin and Mauresmo get to the final, proving once again how tough Martina´s group was(not that it needed any because you had 3 GS championships and 3 other GS finals for the year between Henin and Mauresmo).
And not to mention how well and close she was from advancing to the semis despite all!
:worship: To all three women.
Hingis for finally showing and playing tough against 3 top 5 players. :kiss:
Henin for beating Sharapova and finishing at the top of the rankings :worship:
Mauresmo for being the fighther that she is.. simply amazing just like last year´s championships.. what a year, deserved :worship:

Ryan
Nov 11th, 2006, 06:50 PM
We all know Steffica is a troll, with no real basis for anything he/she says. Good article, I'm sure Martina can keep improving next season - it will be interesting to see how she handles defending points.

cartmancop
Nov 11th, 2006, 07:41 PM
she has definitely proven that she still belongs among the games best. Now it's time for Venus and Serena to do the same.

If everyone is healthy(Kim, Venus, Serena, Lindsay), next year could be amazing. (I know we say this every year...and within a month @ least two or three of the best players are out with injury :( )

Hingie
Nov 11th, 2006, 09:06 PM

Yes you have said that many, many MANY times... so why are you still blabbering?

Steffica Greles
Nov 11th, 2006, 09:30 PM
Once again after today´s semifinals performances trash talkers are proved wrong.
Henin and Mauresmo get to the final, proving once again how tough Martina´s group was(not that it needed any because you had 3 GS championships and 3 other GS finals for the year between Henin and Mauresmo).
And not to mention how well and close she was from advancing to the semis despite all!
:worship: To all three women.
Hingis for finally showing and playing tough against 3 top 5 players. :kiss:
Henin for beating Sharapova and finishing at the top of the rankings :worship:
Mauresmo for being the fighther that she is.. simply amazing just like last year´s championships.. what a year, deserved :worship:

So where's your bottom line?

Did Hingis qualify for the finals or not?

If we extrapolate from your argument, Hingis could fall outside the top 100 and you'd postulate that it proves the level of competition in the top 100.

And could you define "hater" please?

I don't hate anybody, least of all a tennis player. Oh, and a tennis player I don't even know personally. (I'd assume you don't know Martina Hingis either?)

I don't even hate you :) But I stand by my comments.

Bowser
Nov 11th, 2006, 09:32 PM
So where's your bottom line?

Did Hingis qualify for the finals or not?

If we extrapolate from your argument, Hingis could fall outside the top 100 and you'd postulate that it proves the level of competition in the top 100.

And could you define "hater" please?

I don't hate anybody, least of all a tennis player. Oh, and a tennis player I don't even know personally. (I'd assume you don't know Martina Hingis either?)

I don't even hate you :) But I stand by my comments.

steffica, we all know you are not fan, but please answer this, if you don't like Hingis, why are you always appearing on threads about her? If you are not interested, don't post, otherwise it looks like you have an obsession with her. :)

Steffica Greles
Nov 11th, 2006, 09:32 PM
We all know Steffica is a troll, with no real basis for anything he/she says. Good article, I'm sure Martina can keep improving next season - it will be interesting to see how she handles defending points.

Troll?

Well, I'd be a hypocrite if I didn't say you're entitled to your opinion. Everybody will always have opinions. And, over all, that's a good thing.

I'd suggest you could learn from that. But that's just my opinion :)

Steffica Greles
Nov 11th, 2006, 09:44 PM
steffica, we all know you are not fan, but please answer this, if you don't like Hingis, why are you always appearing on threads about her? If you are not interested, don't post, otherwise it looks like you have an obsession with her. :)

You're both right and wrong.

No, I'm not a fan of Martina Hingis. I'm not partisan towards any player. I'm a fan of women's tennis, like approximately 1% of this board. Obviously I most admire Steffi Graf, Monica Seles, Aranxta Sanchez-Vicario, and of the current crop, probably Clijsters, Henin, Davenport. And I have a soft spot for Mary Pierce. I also find Vaidisova exciting as a prospect. But I critically evaluate all of them.

You're also right that Hingis has become a bit of an obsession of mine which I need to kick. Obviously most of the threads on here are vacuous junk. When I see a thread where I can dissent from the majority and put my opinions across, I will do. People agreeing isn't a requisite.

Hingis? Well, if you actually read my comments going back many years, you'll realise I admire Hingis very much. I just don't like to see people deluding themselves, as I feel they are. If I'm wrong, and Hingis goes on to re-establish herself in the top 5, challenge for majors, and improve her serve, then not only will I take the criticism, but I will be glad to see it happen. Martina Hingis is, in many areas, one of the most talented to play the game. I just do not feel she has what it takes to go much further without injuring herself once again. The only other scenario is that she slips down the rankings. That's all I'm saying.

Bowser
Nov 11th, 2006, 09:45 PM

No, I'm not a fan of Martina Hingis. I'm not partisan towards any player. I'm a fan of women's tennis, like approximately 1% of this board. Obviously I most admire Steffi Graf, Monica Seles, Aranxta Sanchez-Vicario, and of the current crop, probably Clijsters, Henin, Davenport. And I have a soft spot for Mary Pierce. I also find Vaidisova exciting as a prospect. But I critically evaluate all of them.

You're also right that Hingis has become a bit of an obsession of mine which I need to kick. Obviously most of the threads on here are vacuous junk. When I see a thread where I can dissent from the majority and put my opinions across, I will do. People agreeing isn't a requisite.

Hingis? Well, if you actually read my comments going back many years, you'll realise I admire Hingis very much. I just don't like to see people deluding themselves, as I feel they are. If I'm wrong, and Hingis goes on to re-establish herself in the top 5, challenge for majors, and improve her serve, then not only will I take the criticism, but I will be glad to see it happen. Martina Hingis is, in many areas, one of the most talented to play the game. I just do not feel she has what it takes to go much further without injuring herself once again. The only other scenario is that she slips down the rankings. That's all I'm saying.

ok then :) :yeah:

Hingie
Nov 11th, 2006, 09:52 PM

Martina Hingis is, in many areas, one of the most talented to play the game.

Well at least i agree with you on one point.

That's fine to have an opinion but do you have to go into every thread and express your pessimistic views towards her?

Some Hingis fans believe she will reclaim her former glory. Regardless whether i believe this or not, only the future will tell so your constant rantings about her limited success or potential or inevitable fall in the rankings is speculative - just as those who have the opinion she will achieve great things is speculative. One thing is for sure... with her back, 2007 will be very interesting. If she feels she is building her confidence after the YEC and she can push the top players that's good for women's tennis and we should all just enjoy it!

Steffica Greles
Nov 11th, 2006, 10:00 PM
Well at least i agree with you on one point.

Do you have to go into every thread and express your pessimistic views towards her?

Do you have to go in ever thread and express your "overly optimistic" views towards her?

The answer is "yes", if you want to. The same goes for me.

your constant rantings about her limited success or potential or inevitable fall in the rankings is speculative

First of all, I think you may be confusing the word "ranting" with something else. Secondly, yes this board is speculative. Do any of us know we are going to be right? Or are you the first proven psychic?

:)

Hingie
Nov 11th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Do you have to go in ever thread and express your "overly optimistic" towards her?

:)

Sorry - please show me a recent post of mine with overly optimistic claims. :confused:

Steffica Greles
Nov 11th, 2006, 10:16 PM
Sorry - please show me a recent post of mine with overly optimistic claims. :confused:

You missed my point.

"Pessimistic" and "optimistic" are subjective: open to the interpretation of the individual. I would obviously say I'm "realistic". You have the right to be optimistic. I have the right to be pessimistic.

Hingie
Nov 11th, 2006, 10:18 PM
You missed my point.

"Pessimistic" and "optimistic" are subjective: open to the interpretation of the individual. I would obviously say I'm "realistic". You have the right to be optimistic. I have the right to be pessimistic.

Well i say your version of realistic is twisted.

Ryan
Nov 11th, 2006, 10:19 PM
Troll?

Well, I'd be a hypocrite if I didn't say you're entitled to your opinion. Everybody will always have opinions. And, over all, that's a good thing.

I'd suggest you could learn from that. But that's just my opinion :)

Aw, that's so nice of you. I just have a problem with your "opinions" because they are extremely slanted against Hingis, and you dont take too kindly to being refuted or disagree with. You're still a troll (aka, dumbass).

Steffica Greles
Nov 11th, 2006, 10:30 PM
Well i say your version of realistic is twisted.

You're welcome to :) And I'm welcome to my opinions. Read the terms and conditions.

Steffica Greles
Nov 11th, 2006, 10:33 PM
Aw, that's so nice of you. I just have a problem with your "opinions" because they are extremely slanted against Hingis, and you dont take too kindly to being refuted or disagree with. You're still a troll (aka, dumbass).

But the global warming argument is heavily slanted against corporate business. Does that alone make it less true?

And you call me a "dumbass" and claim I don't like being disagreed with in the same sentence?

But you're still welcome to say what you like about me. I'm not the victim here. I'll say what I like about Hingis. And you take it personally.