PDA

View Full Version : Round Robin

goldenlox
Nov 9th, 2006, 10:52 PM
It seems crazy that something this important, making the semis of the YEC,
comes down to sets lost or total games.

I thought Round Robin was okay, but after watching this tournament,
I think they should go back to 16 players.

Let the winners get determined on the court, not by adding up numbers.

GoDominique
Nov 9th, 2006, 10:53 PM
Shut up, freak. You are just pissed that Petrova got her ass kicked in this event and is on her way home. :lol:

goldenlox
Nov 9th, 2006, 10:54 PM
Nadia is 1-2.
This is a stupid system if she's out by 4-5 to 3-4.

Let the players play a regular draw.
This is a tennis tournament. Like every other one.

DragonFlame
Nov 9th, 2006, 10:57 PM
Nadia is 1-2.
This is a stupid system if she's out by 4-5 to 3-4.

Let the players play a regular draw.
This is a tennis tournament. Like every other one.

Roundrobin is exactly what makes masters exiting. Seeing topmatchups between players that are GUARENTEED. At the end of the year that makes this a lot of fun.

I do think they should have done better scheduling but i think we can all agree on that.

LH2HBH
Nov 9th, 2006, 10:58 PM
I agree round robin is better for a Masters tournament. There is no such thing as an easy draw in round robin. Everyone has to play eachother.

Paneru
Nov 9th, 2006, 11:01 PM
That's why IMO they should go
back to the traditional. Top 16
and one match elimination.

This RR crap can and IMO does
lead people to tanking to try and
control whom they play and when.

PLP
Nov 9th, 2006, 11:01 PM
Roundrobin is exactly what makes masters exiting. Seeing topmatchups between players that are GUARENTEED. At the end of the year that makes this a lot of fun.

I do think they should have done better scheduling but i think we can all agree on that.

I agree!

Also this is great for the players as well as the fans!

Taking Hingis as an example, she hasn't played the YEC in 6 years and even though she only went 1-2 she knows more than ever that she can hang with the elite, despite the unfortunate scheduling! Plus we hadn't been able to see a Nadia/Hingis matchup yet this year, which was very exciting for me!!!

goldenlox
Nov 9th, 2006, 11:02 PM

Look how confusing this is.
You need an accountant courtside to figure out the numbers :lol:

The Kaz
Nov 9th, 2006, 11:06 PM

:ras:

DragonFlame
Nov 9th, 2006, 11:12 PM

yeah ok, sometimes there are numbers to be cracked but still. It's not that hard, some people just need to look around better before posting threads lol. i prefer seeing the 8 best for at least 3 matches while 4 of them go to the semi's then only 4/16 players at least 3 matches then followed by 1 final-match(when using a 16-format). Like hingis for example, even though she lost the first match it's great she was still here so she could play such a great match against petrova. I really enjoyed watching that match. That's what makes it fun, i'm so waiting for the semifinals.

goldenlox
Nov 9th, 2006, 11:13 PM
I don't know what Sveta has to do to get in tomorrow.
She and Kim are both 1-1.
Sveta can win and not get in, or lose and get in, I don't know

DragonFlame
Nov 9th, 2006, 11:19 PM

if she loses sharapova will be #1 in the group and svetlana will have 1 win. So a lot will depend on kim beating dementieva. If dementieva beats kim they will all have 1 win and then sets will be counted.

right now kim = 2-2 svetlana = 2-2 if they both win all will depend on sets won then games won since svetlana, kim and maria will be in a 3-way h2h.

if they both lose they're in a 3way with elena. Sets and games will be counted again then. So pretty unpredictable untill now untill a few sets are played. Elena only has a shot if both lose and she loses not more then 3 games to kim lol.

the h2hrule has no impact here i think, godominique correct me if i'm wrong please lol. and you can be polite:p ;)

densuprun
Nov 9th, 2006, 11:21 PM

Well, you do know that if she wins her chances are better than if she loses, don't you?

goldenlox
Nov 9th, 2006, 11:22 PM
if she loses sharapova will be #1 in the group and svetlana will have 1 win. So a lot will depend on kim beating dementieva. If dementieva beats kim they will all have 1 win and then sets will be counted.

right now kim = 2-2 svetlana = 2-2 if they both win all will depend on sets won then games won since svetlana, kim and maria will be in a 3-way h2h.

if they both lose they're in a 3way with elena. Sets and games will be counted again then. So pretty unpredictable untill now untill a few sets are played.And you like that?
They'll be counting the games if Sharapova doesn't give full effort,
and Sveta and Kim win.
All three at 2-1.
Or like you said, there could be 3 at 1-2.

That's why there should be a regular draw.
The majors have a draw. This is the next biggest thing.
Miami and IW have normal draws.

It's only here that we count up games to eliminate a player.

A'DAM
Nov 9th, 2006, 11:29 PM
Round robin makes the Masters so much more exiting becouse you know you will se your fav at least 3 times!!!

A'DAM
Nov 9th, 2006, 11:31 PM
And you like that?
They'll be counting the games if Sharapova doesn't give full effort,
and Sveta and Kim win.
All three at 2-1.
Or like you said, there could be 3 at 1-2.

That's why there should be a regular draw.
The majors have a draw. This is the next biggest thing.
Miami and IW have normal draws.

It's only here that we count up games to eliminate a player.

No they eliminate themselfs by playing worst than the oponents :rolleyes:

DragonFlame
Nov 9th, 2006, 11:31 PM
what i like is that i get to see GUARENTEED matches between topplayers. Also seeing the 8 best in at least 3 matches and then the better 4 in another match. That's what i like about it. The masters give a special ending to the year, it makes things exiting to see the top8 square off and have most of them play eachother.

how long have we been waiting for matches between justine and serena/venus? God i'm still waiting for them,(3 years and counting:o ) if they would get there act together and get to the yec i'd have a more then normal chance of seeing them play eachother:lol:

goldenlox
Nov 9th, 2006, 11:35 PM
I see that advantage, all eight play at least 3 times.
In a 16 draw, 4 players play at least 3 times.
But I'd like to know if a player wins, do they advance?
Tomorrow, we won't know until both Kim and Sveta play.

DragonFlame
Nov 9th, 2006, 11:40 PM
after the kuznetsova-sharapovamatch we will know what kim has to do. Counting all sets and games including that match we can see what kim will have to do to qualify then.

For you it might not seem very nice that when people lose they can still get through by counting sets and games but i can asure you this system is very correct and the players who played the best will go through.

saki
Nov 9th, 2006, 11:44 PM
I think it would have been a more fun tournament with Jankovic, Vaidisova, Hantuchova, Schiavone along as well. Particularly Jankovic. But some years the players ranked 9-16 just got spanked and it was boring.

goldenlox
Nov 9th, 2006, 11:50 PM
I think it would have been a more fun tournament with Jankovic, Vaidisova, Hantuchova, Schiavone along as well. Particularly Jankovic. But some years the players ranked 9-16 just got spanked and it was boring.
I agree. This system would get buried by the sports media if tennis was popular.
Nobody is watching, so no one talks about a system where the media can't tell the public who is in, who is out,
or what they have to do to be in. It's too complicated.

DragonFlame
Nov 9th, 2006, 11:56 PM
I agree. This system would get buried by the sports media if tennis was popular.
Nobody is watching, so no one talks about a system where the media can't tell the public who is in, who is out,
or what they have to do to be in. It's too complicated.

well tennis has a different and more difficult scoringsystem itself already. Players can win while having made less points then their opponents. That's rare in sports. I really think the masters 'add' something to the season this way.