PDA

View Full Version : MADRID BLOG - Rennae Stubbs - the dishiest blogger EVER.

LH2HBH
Nov 9th, 2006, 10:04 PM
This weeks blog is from doubles superstar Rennae Stubbs - has anyone else ever commented so much on the other girls' games? Here they are!

Monday, November 6, 2006

Welcome, everyone, to my blog and to the Sony Ericsson Championships! I have just arrived to Madrid from my home town of Tampa; well, my home away from home, anyway. After a two week break from the indoor circuit, I am fired up and ready for the last and final tournament of the year! Yippee!

After a long and tough year, everyone is ready for the final showdown before heading off for a few weeks' vacation. Well I am, anyway! It's going to be a great week of tennis, and I hope you all stay tuned for my inside scoop into the event.

Tonight's blog is going to be short, firstly because I'm writing it on my phone and secondly because I'm so exhausted after flying overnight and practicing some today that I can no longer keep my eyes open! All of you who've had jet lag know exactly how I feel. It's part of the job though. I spent most of my day in the physio room :) That's another thing that's part of the job! But at my age it's understandable, right?!

Okay, everyone, lots more to tell you tomorrow. Hopefully, I will be able to get online by then. Thanks for reading!

Talk to you all tomorrow! :)

Rennae (Stubbsy)

LH2HBH
Nov 9th, 2006, 10:07 PM
Tuesday, November 7, 2006

Hi everyone and good evening!

Well actually, it's good morning. It's 12.30am and I'm still awake! Yep, Spanish time... got to love it, right! If any of you plan on coming to Spain, I recommend it highly if you like to eat, drink and basically have a good time... but don't think about eating dinner 'til after 8pm!

I had a great day today. Woke up at 9am (slept right through my first night here) and headed down to breaky at 10am. Again, got to love the Spanish timetable; well I do, anyway. Had breaky with John Dolan from the WTA communications staff, and ate alongside most of the singles players who were getting their breakfasts ahead of the first day of play at the Sony Ericsson Championships. Just for your info, Maria Sharapova had an egg scramble with ham, as well as fruit. It looked really good - I think I'll get that tomorrow! And hey, it worked... :lol:

We had our first results of the tournament, with an upset to start. Nadia Petrova beat world No.1 Amélie Mauresmo. :) Now I, for one, wasn't that surprised by that win, only because Amélie has been struggling of late with a shoulder injury and is coming into this event without a lot of matches, while Nadia has been playing phenomenally well this past month on the indoor stretch. So, one to Nadia, and Amélie has some catching up to do. :worship:

Maria was up next and showed her recent good form is continuing against fellow Russian Elena Dementieva, with a comfortable win. She has certainly put herself in the driver's seat by winning her first match; she has to be the favorite here after her recent form. :eek:

Then the first real tough match of the tournament, with Justine beating Martina. A gutsy victory after her long injury lay-off - it just shows you how mentally tough she is after not playing for so long. On a personal note, cudos to Martina. What a story - comes back after years away from the game, starts the year without a ranking and here she is, in the elite event in women's tennis again. What an effort. Just shows you how good she truly is. :worship:

As far as my day was concerned, I had a few practice sessions, one on the main center court before heading up to grab a bite to eat at the players' food area. Wow, what a spread! I had some awesome anti pasta dishes and a yummy latte before Cara and I went out for our second practice session, then headed back to the hotel. Once back there, I headed to the WTA training room they have set up for us here, and had a massage with our massage therapist, Manya (I know, we're spoiled aren't we? But again, I must point out my age. And it's been a long year. And my body is, well, let's just say, toast at this point. So, I'm trying to hang on for a few more days of work).

After treatment, I popped out for dinner (at 9.30pm mind you) with my very good friends Conchita Martínez, who came to visit, and Dana Davis. We caught up over a bottle of red wine and some unbelievable food. I had a risotto with butter and white truffles - OH MY GOODNESS, it was insanely good! Europeans know how to eat good food... and the company was great. Thanks for dinner Conchi!

Dinner was over and I headed back to my room where I found a few lovely gifts from Sony Ericsson, New Regency Productions (DVDs) and the Tour. It's one of the great perks of making the Championships, that we get some nice goodies in our room from our sponsors - so to all of them, thank you very much :-)))

Okay so another day down here in Madrid. I hope you are all keeping up with the matches on Outdoor Life Network and Eurosport! Stay tuned, because there will be great matches upcoming this week. And hey, check back in here and I will try and give you some inside scoops on all the action or at least on my day!

Thanks for reading,

Rennae

LH2HBH
Nov 9th, 2006, 10:08 PM
Wednesday, November 8, 2006
Hi everyone, or should I say G'day! It's about time I put Aussie lingo in my blog!

It's funny that I bring up Aussie lingo, because today Sam Stosur and I were laughing about some of the silly things we Australians say to mean certain things. For example, "a bag of fruit" when translated means a men's suit, because it rhymes... I know I know, we Australians are a weird bunch! Another one is "hit the frog and toad", which means to hit the road. Okay, one more - how about "Fred Stolle", which means to serve and volley. You see, it all rhymes and we just like to butcher the English language :-) Well enough Australian-isms! Next time you're with one and you have to meet them at some stage in the afternoon, tell them "see you this arvo!" - they'll understand :-)

Anyway, onto the tennis. Svetlana Kuznetsova got off to a flying start here in her adopted country of Spain, with a straight set victory over Elena Dementieva. Seriously, how many Russians are in this week's draw? It's almost the Russian Championships, AMAZING!

Speaking of Russians, another impressive match for Sharapova, beating Kimmy Clijsters. Sure, Kim is coming off a long lay-off, but still, Kim is always a tough match-up and after winning in Hasselt last week, she is still one to watch. Let's face it, about two months ago, she was the favorite for the US Open, until that horrible wrist injury at the Canadian - anytime you can beat Kim it's impressive, especially in straight sets. I saw Kim this morning and she was in a great mood, but that's nothing new, she is always smiling and having a good time. It's so nice to have her back again, even if it is for another year! We have talked about who is going to retire first between her and myself, who knows?

Then to cap the day off, Martina Hingis throws the Yellow group into a tight race after beating Nadia Petrova; three of the girls in that group have each won a match, so it's vital for them all to keep winning, and it also gives Mauresmo a chance to sneak into the semis! Just like last year, so stay tuned!

So, onto my day, because we're not starting 'til Saturday. Once again, my day was filled with practice, a little clinic for our sponsor Sony Ericsson, and another scrumptious meal in the players' lounge. Are you seeing the trend here? Not a lot of sight-seeing, and lots of time spent at the courts. Oh and yes, you guessed it, in the training room with the physios... I have to send a shout-out to our health staff, Kathleen, Nadine and Manya for keeping me in one piece, for now anyway. Thanks girls!

Cara went out and did some sight-seeing - good effort Cara and me, I hit Starbucks for a latte and eventually dinner with Lisa Raymond and Sam Stosur. We headed to the Chinese restaurant downstairs here in the Westin Palace hotel. Yummy, the crispy duck was so good! Sorry all you vegetarians out there but I love my crispy duck! Then I headed up to my room to sit down and recap my day for you all. Hope you are enjoying it. If you're not, well, remember, its not my day job :-)

Okay well it's off to bed for now - talk to you all tomorrow...

Stubbsy

drive-volley
Nov 9th, 2006, 10:23 PM
Luvs her blog!!! She just writes in such an interesting way that I find it entertaining even when she's talking about what she ate today:D . The girl has got kinda journalistic skills, seems to know very well what we wanna know about the Championships' backstage. There's always something about the matches, practice sessions and lil gossips like what sharapova had on breakfast. I haven't known her from this side. It's my favourite blog done by a WTA player so far:) .

LH2HBH
Nov 9th, 2006, 11:25 PM
maybe she'll be a commentator someday!

Mateo Mathieu
Nov 9th, 2006, 11:35 PM
WOW! She's nice outside the courts by sounds of it! :lol:

Conchi Party
Nov 9th, 2006, 11:36 PM
Conchita!!!I love that she is so social....

Justine Fan
Nov 9th, 2006, 11:40 PM
She's a great personality .... and doubles player :)

CrossCourt~Rally
Nov 9th, 2006, 11:43 PM
:devil: luv stubby :hearts:

smiler
Nov 9th, 2006, 11:46 PM
It's a cool blog :) fun to read she come's across really nice. I didn't realise Aussie's use Cockney rhyming slang!

Aaron68
Nov 9th, 2006, 11:55 PM
She's great at blogging. What an entertaining read.

Oh, and I like me some crispy duck as well.

Sunny_Boy
Nov 10th, 2006, 01:38 AM
Stubbsy :lol:
Ummm, I have never heard of half of the Aussie lingo Stubbsy is using :confused:
But I do use "see you this arvo" alot :lol:

hurricanejeanne
Nov 10th, 2006, 02:18 AM
maybe she'll be a commentator someday!

I have heard Rennae commentate a little bit on TTC and she is quite good. Clear voice, extremely knowledgable, and rather engaging. I'd say she has herself a gig post retirement.

Mateo Mathieu
Nov 10th, 2006, 03:14 AM
Ummm, I have never heard of half of the Aussie lingo Stubbsy is using :confused:
Me too :lol: I guess I'm not your typical Aussie guy ;)

DutchieGirl
Nov 10th, 2006, 04:23 AM
It's a cool blog :) fun to read she come's across really nice. I didn't realise Aussie's use Cockney rhyming slang!

:lol: Yes, we do often actually... ;) It seems that Rennae wants to steal it and make it Aussie though. :devil:

Nice blog though! :D

DutchieGirl
Nov 10th, 2006, 04:24 AM

:eek: Have you heard of "dead horse" (tomato sauce) or "johnny scratches" (matches) then?

Alicia Rocks
Nov 10th, 2006, 05:04 AM
:eek: Have you heard of "dead horse" (tomato sauce) or "johnny scratches" (matches) then?

I havent :lol:

Derek.
Nov 10th, 2006, 05:15 AM
Interesting. :p

Good blogger. ;)

Sunny_Boy
Nov 10th, 2006, 06:01 AM
Me too :lol: I guess I'm not your typical Aussie guy ;)
:lol: Don't worry, we both must be the typical Aussie guy!
It's Stubbsy who must have different expectations of a typical Aussie guy :lol:

Martian Stacey
Nov 10th, 2006, 06:01 AM
Its just rhyming slang, but yeah i've never really heard it used extensively in Australia. I always thought it was more common in England than Australia :shrug:

Sunny_Boy
Nov 10th, 2006, 06:02 AM
:lol: Never in my life!
But the next pie I buy a meat pie, i'll ask for a "dead horse" with it ;)

DutchieGirl
Nov 10th, 2006, 06:03 AM
I havent :lol:

:lol: Weird...

DutchieGirl
Nov 10th, 2006, 06:04 AM
:lol: Never in my life!
But the next pie I buy a meat pie, i'll ask for a "dead horse" with it ;)

:yeah: Do that. ;)

DutchieGirl
Nov 10th, 2006, 06:05 AM
Its just rhyming slang, but yeah i've never really heard it used extensively in Australia. I always thought it was more common in England than Australia :shrug:

Yeah, it originates from England, but I hear it a bit at work. I guess it depends what area of Australia you live in :scratch: :shrug:

Kunal
Nov 10th, 2006, 07:39 AM
funny how she talks bout what masha had for breakfast

stubbsy71
Nov 10th, 2006, 10:08 AM
She's soooooo cool - top blog from a top person

Ben.
Nov 10th, 2006, 10:12 AM

neva heard of these slang words b4 :lol: but rennae is your typical aussie gal ;)

Uranus
Nov 10th, 2006, 11:02 AM
I like this blog. She would be a great commentator after her retirement :)
She looks very nice!

Jodie
Nov 10th, 2006, 12:57 PM
New one

Thursday, November 9, 2006
Hi everyone,
Let me start by telling you I am not going to go into massive detail over the matches tonight - not because they weren't fantastic, but because I have so much to tell you about my day. I have attached some more photos! On a personal note, we had our draw and our semifinals are set. We play the Chinese team of Yan and Zheng, and Raymond and Stosur are up against Peschke and Schiavone! Finally, we know who we play. Now, we can start thinking about what we need to do for Saturday, strategy-wise.
So onto the singles. The yellow group is once again the interesting group, now that Mauresmo clawed her way out of defeat from the hands of Martina Hingis. It was looking like Martina might grab a berth in the semis alongside Henin and Sharapova, but just like last year, Mauresmo has given herself a chance to get through. It all depends on her match with Justine tomorrow. Like I said at the start of the week, stay tuned!
As far as I know, Clijsters is in control of her own destiny in the other group. If she wins her match against Dementieva, she's in the semis. And what a GREAT line-up for the semis we're going to have! Both Sharapova and Henin positioned now for the end of year No.1 ranking! Okay, like I said, enough tennis talk... Oh and I practiced again for a few hours!
So I went sightseeing today around Madrid and wow, what a beautiful city. The buildings and architecture are amazing. My personal tour guide, Conchita Martinez, Dana and myself hit the streets. I had a typical Spanish omelette and salad for lunch - yum. I usually only get that when Conchi cooks them for me and we are usually nursing a hangover; it's rare I know, but sometimes it happens... Remember, I am legally over the age limit :-))
We topped off our day by going and watching David Beckham - oh I mean Real Madrid, the richest football club in the world (that's soccer for all you Australians and Americans reading). Don't get mad at me, it might not be your favorite team, but Beckham is the cutest player in the world! FACT!
It was so exciting and the atmosphere and stadium were incredible. I went with Conchi (because she got the tickets), Dana, Cara and her friend Anthony. We had a great time; Real won 5-1 and Beckham scored! We headed back to the hotel safe and sound, thanks to our personal driver, Chema. He is the best. The tournament arranged for us to be driven around in our own Porsche Cayenne; if you've never driven in one, give it a go - Chema got us to the football in no time - they are awesome cars! :-)
Well it's once again after midnight, so time to hit the sack... I hope you all had a nice day and I look forward to filling you all in on some more details tomorrow...

Adios!!

Stubbsy

~Rachel~
Nov 10th, 2006, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the blogs :yeah: Anyone else slightly confused by Stubbsy's comments on David Beckham? :lol:

stubbsy71
Nov 10th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Why are you slightly confused?????

Jodie
Nov 11th, 2006, 09:18 PM
From yesterday

Friday, November 10, 2006

Hi everyone,
Tonight's blog is going to be a little shorter. Why? Well, because I'm playing first match on tomorrow, at 11am, and so I HAVE TO GET TO BED BEFORE MIDNIGHT TONIGHT!!

Today was spent getting prepared and ready for our first match. We had a really good practice session at 1pm - yes, a nice late morning. I slept 'til 10am, but hey, I went to sleep at 1.45am again. I can't sleep well right now, jet lag is not fun! So you can imagine how excited I am to have to get up at 7am tomorrow :-) Don't worry, I am a pro and will be prepared to go when called on... That's why I had room service and stayed in tonight! :-)

We played a couple of practice sets with Peschke and Schiavone. There isn't much choice of who you can practice with, but it's good to get a few points with some other teams under your belt before you have to play the real matches... Match practice, as we call it, is very important, especially since we haven't played a real match in a few weeks. But we feel ready.

Anyway, how about Mauresmo? She has done it again, qualified through after an early loss. She must be feeling good about her chances now. Let's face it, she has won some big matches this year and she is hungry to defend her title. As for Martina Hingis, she almost got through, but instead she'll be finishing up her comeback year a little earlier than she was hoping. But all in all, an amazing comeback, congrats on a great year Martina!

The yellow group isn't decided yet, as Kim Clijsters has to win at least a set against Dementieva to qualify, and at the present moment I am writing this, Sharapova and Kuznetsova are still on the court... Remember, I have to get to sleep early - give me a break! So, you'll all have to check the website or watch the TV to find out what happened!

Anyway, I'm going to sign off now and wish you all a good day. Here's hoping for some good news to report tomorrow. If not, well, I guess it's vacation time a day earlier than I hoped... Fingers crossed it's not the case...

Thanks for reading,

Stubbsy

P.S. Now that I've finished, I realize the blog is long again! No shock to all my friends out there - I haven't ever been short with my words, EVER! Night...