PDA

View Full Version : what are the tiebreaks in a case of tie?

amirbachar
Nov 9th, 2006, 06:40 PM
does anyone knows?

AtypicalMale
Nov 9th, 2006, 10:45 PM
Good question; I wondered the same thing. I finally found the answer.

Giving credit to the site where I found it:
http://tennis.quickfound.net/wta_results_2006/madrid_wta_championships_results_2006.html

The summary:

"If players win the same number of matches, the winner of their head-to-head match in the round robin is placed higher in the standings. Any ties will be resolved first by the percentage of sets won, then by the percentage of games won"

So basically, J H-H is in. Petrova's out (even if Momo loses to J H-H) because her 3-4 sets value = 42.8%, while Hingis' 4-5 = 44.4%. If Momo loses to J H-H, she'd be 3-5 at best, which is 37.5%. IN SHORT - Momo must beat J H-H to move on; otherwise, Hingis moves on.

The RED group is still up in the air. It's possible for Masha, Kuzzy, and Kim to end in a 3-way tie (2-1, and 4-2 in sets); it's ALSO possible for Kuzzy, Kim, and Elena to have a 3-way tie for 2nd place (1-2, and 2-4 in sets)... and I don't feel like going through all those possible permutations. :p

evd
Nov 10th, 2006, 12:00 AM
Good question; I wondered the same thing. I finally found the answer.

Giving credit to the site where I found it:
http://tennis.quickfound.net/wta_results_2006/madrid_wta_championships_results_2006.html

The summary:

"If players win the same number of matches, the winner of their head-to-head match in the round robin is placed higher in the standings. Any ties will be resolved first by the percentage of sets won, then by the percentage of games won"

So basically, J H-H is in. Petrova's out (even if Momo loses to J H-H) because her 3-4 sets value = 42.8%, while Hingis' 4-5 = 44.4%. If Momo loses to J H-H, she'd be 3-5 at best, which is 37.5%. IN SHORT - Momo must beat J H-H to move on; otherwise, Hingis moves on.

The RED group is still up in the air. It's possible for Masha, Kuzzy, and Kim to end in a 3-way tie (2-1, and 4-2 in sets); it's ALSO possible for Kuzzy, Kim, and Elena to have a 3-way tie for 2nd place (1-2, and 2-4 in sets)... and I don't feel like going through all those possible permutations. :p
Question:

If Justine defeats Amelie, then JH is 3-0 and the rest are all 1-2.

Since Amelie beat Martina, and Martina beat Nadia in the head-to-head, doesn't that mean Amelie is already in the semis?

Maybe I'm misreading the part about the head to head competition?

Buitenzorg
Nov 10th, 2006, 12:09 AM
;)

evd
Nov 10th, 2006, 12:11 AM
Question:

Since Amelie beat Martina, and Martina beat Nadia in the head-to-head, doesn't that mean Amelie is already in the semis?

Maybe I'm misreading the part about the head to head competition?
More on the head-to-head ordering:

If Maria beats Svetlana, and Elena beats Kim, then there's a 3 way tie.

However, the head-to-head ordering cannot be done, since:

ED def KC (does this go here or ... )
KC def SK
SK def ED
ED def KC (... does it go here? )

AtypicalMale
Nov 10th, 2006, 04:45 AM
Question:

Since Amelie beat Martina, and Martina beat Nadia in the head-to-head, doesn't that mean Amelie is already in the semis?No, because you've got to add the 3rd part, which is left out - Nadia beat Amelie. The three of them cancel one-another out in head-to-head, so it has to move to the percentages, in that scenario occurred.

More on the head-to-head ordering:

If Maria beats Svetlana, and Elena beats Kim, then there's a 3 way tie.

However, the head-to-head ordering cannot be done, since:

ED def KC (does this go here or ... )
KC def SK
SK def ED
ED def KC (... does it go here? )It doesn't matter where the ED - KC result would be placed. You want to think of the 3-way h-2-h as being circular, instead of being linear.

If your scenario were to happen... Elena def Kim, who def Kuzzy, who def Elena... and it all goes around in the circle. :p The three of them are 1-1 against each other, so... the same as above... they'd cancel one-another out as far as h-2-h goes.

This ALSO holds true if Kuzzy beats Masha, and Kim beats Elena... poor Elena would go home 0-3 (again), and Kuzzy, Masha, and Kim would all be tied at 2-1. The circle would happen yet again... Kuzzy def Masha, who def Kim, who def Kuzzy. All would be 1-1 against one-another amongst the trio, and would thus cancel each other out in that regard!! It'd be down to set percentages in THIS case, too.

What I DON'T know... If Kuzzy, Masha, and Kim all end-up at 2-1... AND all three have set counts of 4-2 (it IS possible!!)... *LOL!!* TALK about anarchy!!! I seriously believe that it could come down to a 'drawing of straws'!!! Seriously!!

Equally, it's possible for Kuzzy, Kim, and Elena to all end up 1-2, and 2-4 in set counts, causing SIMILAR anarchy to what I just described above!! :p