PDA

View Full Version : Who do you think will take over tennis along with Sharapova in the future?

Derek.
Nov 9th, 2006, 12:25 AM
Discuss. :)

IceHock
Nov 9th, 2006, 12:26 AM
It's still Henin-Hardenne for me, maybe Kuznetsova or Petrova

tennis-master83
Nov 9th, 2006, 12:28 AM

Remember the Us Open final this is just the beginning!

brent-o
Nov 9th, 2006, 12:30 AM

Yea, but apparently Henin's retiring in two years. But I'd agree with Kuznetsova and Petrova. Wow, hope Ivanovic, Jankovic, and Golovin step up because that is one bleak future.

IceHock
Nov 9th, 2006, 12:30 AM
Remember the Us Open final this is just the beginning!

Henin-Hardenne mad all 4 finals, right now she is the most complete player, I don't care about 1 tournament, yeah she played good but Henin has a better game all around it showed this year.

Sharakim
Nov 9th, 2006, 12:36 AM
If I had to guess....

Masha, Henin, Kuzzy, and another player who hasn't "arrived" yet will be winning most of the big stuff in the next 2-3 years.

Derek.
Nov 9th, 2006, 12:38 AM
Guys, I actually meant other young players. :p

Dan23
Nov 9th, 2006, 12:43 AM
Guys, I actually meant other young players. :pKuzzie is only 21 or whatever :p

...you're after answers like Vaidisova and Pavlyuchenkova :cool:

WIMBLY2004
Nov 9th, 2006, 12:44 AM
Justine Henin-Hardenne

LeRoy.
Nov 9th, 2006, 12:45 AM
Nicole Vaidisova

I am a little shocked about her performace this year- i thought she'd reach a GS final or even win a GS this year but still she did ok

Orion
Nov 9th, 2006, 12:45 AM
Sharapova looks the most consistent of the "young" players (I'm starting at twenty two and going down). I'd say start looking at Kuznetsova and Jankovic to be making waves on the slam scene, semis, finals, wins (?) next year. Both of them have the one element that Sharapova lacks: movement.

As for challengers, I'd say Golovin in two years will be really dangerous, as will Peer on clay, Krajicek looks better each tournament she plays (dangerous serve for a vertically challenged player, no?). Sharapova may be the hottest player on tour at the moment, but she still has issues on clay. It's also valid to point out that Hingis probably has another 5 years in her. If there's one thing a prolonged break from tennis is good for is increasing life expectancy. See Graf, Steffi; Evert, Chris; Borg, Bjorn. Plus, it's not as though the Williams' sisters can ever be counted out of a tournament. Henin's not dead yet, Mauresmo is still the best grass court player on tour IMO, and there's a whole host of Sharapova clones who just haven't got the creepy intensity, all capable of beating her on their day.

I doubt tennis will have a singular driving force for a while. If they do, I'd imagine they need better mobility than Sharapova. Can you think of a player with worse overall movement to be #1? Davenport had front to back, not side to side, but Sharapova has neither. She's at least solid now, but when she was #1, she was SLOW for the top ten.

Sharakim
Nov 9th, 2006, 12:48 AM
Guys, I actually meant other young players. :pOkay. The young guns (17-20) are harder to predict because most of them are still developing and I have no clue when or if they will ever breakthrough at a major. So far, form what I've heard, it seems that A.Radwanska is a hopeful prospect. I tend to score a player's mental strength above all other aspects of her game, and Aga showed some real fearlessly by beating both Venus Williams and Dementieva in her first year on the pro level. I don't care what anyone says, but beating two proven top ten talents with little professional experiance shows a lot of talent. Whether or not she can harness that talent and turn it into grand slam wins remains to be seen.

I agree with Orion, Golovin is another player to watch. She has the tools to at least challenge the top players, maybe she has the stuff to actually win a major.

Derek.
Nov 9th, 2006, 12:49 AM
Justine Henin-Hardenne

After her. :p

RenaSlam.
Nov 9th, 2006, 12:50 AM
Golovin :hearts: :drool:

PatrickRyan
Nov 9th, 2006, 12:51 AM
Golovin :hearts: :drool:

:worship: :worship:

IceHock
Nov 9th, 2006, 12:51 AM
I guess i'll change mine to Ivanovic, Karatentcheva because she's making a thunderous return, Vaidisova, and Golovin

Sharapova's_Boy
Nov 9th, 2006, 12:52 AM
Vaidisova and Ivanovic.

WIMBLY2004
Nov 9th, 2006, 12:53 AM
Can you think of a player with worse overall movement to be #1? Davenport had front to back, not side to side, but Sharapova has neither. She's at least solid now, but when she was #1, she was SLOW for the top ten.

Davenport was faster than Maria?:eek:
avenport may have the better footwork, but she is never faster than Maria, watch the 2004 Wimbledon semifinal, you will see the difference.

Andy.
Nov 9th, 2006, 12:55 AM
I think over the next 10 years it will be all about Sharapova, Kuznetsova, Ivanovic and Vaidisova as the big 4 with Golovin, Jankovic and co. behind them.

maddyus
Nov 9th, 2006, 01:11 AM
Vaidisova and Ivanovic.

I agree!!:devil:

Derek.
Nov 9th, 2006, 01:43 AM
Level I: Vaidisova & Ivanovic
Level II: Jankovic, Golovin, Azarenka
Level III: Karatantcheva, Krajicek, A. Radwanska
Level IV: Rezai, Cibulkova, Rybarikova
Level V: Mirza, Safarova

Then you have Palyuchenkova, Wozniacki, Paszek, Morita, etc. who are all capable of top 20 and higher, but it's kind of early for them. :p

Corswandt
Nov 9th, 2006, 01:45 AM
Krajicek looks better each tournament she plays (dangerous serve for a vertically challenged player, no?)

Krajicek is 1,77m tall - hardly "vertically challenged". She just looks much shorter because she's very chubby and built like a child.

And if you really think she'll ever be any kind of contender for major titles, then clearly you have never seen her play.

I doubt tennis will have a singular driving force for a while. If they do, I'd imagine they need better mobility than Sharapova. Can you think of a player with worse overall movement to be #1? Davenport had front to back, not side to side, but Sharapova has neither. She's at least solid now, but when she was #1, she was SLOW for the top ten.

Maria's movement is more than enough for the game she plays. She is much faster than she was only a few months ago, and she can even fetch a few shots here and there when it's needed. Long legs=long stride.

Pasta-Na
Nov 9th, 2006, 01:58 AM
maria is at peak :o see if she still can keep her form in Aus Open next year or like when she won Wimbledon and then played crap in another year :lol:

morningglory
Nov 9th, 2006, 01:58 AM
Masha will be unrivalled for quite a few years before I see any of the younger prospects' games fully develop. If I had to pick one, I'd go with Nicky, but she's years behind Masha if you compare the two's results at 17...

morningglory
Nov 9th, 2006, 01:59 AM
maria is at peak :o see if she still can keep her form in Aus Open next year or like when she won Wimbledon and then played crap in another year :lol:

bitter much about Masha winning today? :lol: :nerner:
Don't you worry, Masha's still improving, as always :lol:
This ain't her peak yet, I can assure you.

aussie12
Nov 9th, 2006, 02:19 AM
ana, nicole ant tatiana

Ben.
Nov 9th, 2006, 02:23 AM
sveta, ana & nicole i reckon.

Orion
Nov 9th, 2006, 02:26 AM
Davenport was faster than Maria?:eek:
avenport may have the better footwork, but she is never faster than Maria, watch the 2004 Wimbledon semifinal, you will see the difference.

Maria has stunted movement both side-to-side, and front-to-back. Davenport has worse movement side-to-side (at their peak (thus far) by a hair, only), but has always been more than capable of bringing the momentum of a point towards the net. Sharapova can't do that. That's really the most noticeable weakness in Sharapova's volley. She has to hit it much further back (and thus much lower to the ground) than she could if she moved forward. And while her net game is much improved, it is still nowhere near what Davenpor could produce.

I'll give all the credit to Sharapova for really working on mobility. Her stride is so long it would be criminal for her to neglect it. But she doesn't have the knack of the forward motion yet. Pity, too. If she could do serve and volley, she would be devastating against EVERYONE on grass.

Orion
Nov 9th, 2006, 02:31 AM
Krajicek is 1,77m tall - hardly "vertically challenged". She just looks much shorter because she's very chubby and built like a child.

And if you really think she'll ever be any kind of contender for major titles, then clearly you have never seen her play.

I had no idea she was that tall! Both the times I've seen her play, I'd thought her around 5'7'', which isn't all that much for a tennis player. Wow.

But I have seen her play some very good tennis. She's wildly inconsistent, this is true, but when her serve is on, it's sooooo well placed, and she also learns a lot from her losses. She really beat up both Stosur and Ivanovic the last time they played, and she had lost to them handily prior to those matches. That's very encouraging, especially when so many of todays younger players seem unwilling to adapt their games.

Derek.
Nov 9th, 2006, 02:38 AM
Masha will be unrivalled for quite a few years before I see any of the younger prospects' games fully develop. If I had to pick one, I'd go with Nicky, but she's years behind Masha if you compare the two's results at 17...

First of all, Nicky makes her sound like a guy. :p

Nikki is much better. ;)

Nicole isn't that far behind actually.

If you look at the different departments, the only ones Maria of 17 really stood out compared to Nicole is mental toughness and her backhand, but really Nicole's mental toughness is getting better.

Nicole was close to winning a slam at 17 also.

quasar
Nov 9th, 2006, 03:10 AM
Nicole, Ana and Jelena. (I would love for Anna Chakvetadze to join this group, too. She's such a cutie).

Anyhow, I pretty much doubt Sharapova'll dominate with H-H still around.

Cheers,

Carlos

morningglory
Nov 9th, 2006, 04:51 AM
First of all, Nicky makes her sound like a guy. :p

Nikki is much better. ;)

Nicole isn't that far behind actually.

If you look at the different departments, the only ones Maria of 17 really stood out compared to Nicole is mental toughness and her backhand, but really Nicole's mental toughness is getting better.

Nicole was close to winning a slam at 17 also.

I know... Nikki isn't THAT far behind... but all the same Nikki (OK spell it ur way, but it sounds the same :ras: ) is approximately 1 or so years behind Masha in development, when you add that to Masha being 2 years older, that's quite a rift of 3 years there when Masha is unrivalled.

Derek.
Nov 9th, 2006, 04:54 AM
I know... Nikki isn't THAT far behind... but all the same Nikki (OK spell it ur way, but it sounds the same :ras: ) is approximately 1 or so years behind Masha in development, when you add that to Masha being 2 years older, that's quite a rift of 3 years there when Masha is unrivalled.

Well, obviously Maria is better now. But I'm saying Maria at 17 wasn't that much better than Nicole is atm.

LUIS9
Nov 9th, 2006, 05:07 AM
If I had to guess....

Masha, Henin, Kuzzy, and another player who hasn't "arrived" yet will be winning most of the big stuff in the next 2-3 years.
Yup and add....

Namely Vaidisova and if Ana Ivanovic ever becomes consistent she too may join this elite club. Mauresmo might be still a top 5 or a top 8 force, perhaps even top 3 however, she still shows signs of vulnerability despite winning two slams.

mandynyuna
Nov 9th, 2006, 05:07 AM
What is Nikki's ranking now? Sharapova was No. 34 I think when she won Wimbledon at 17. My friends say that Nikki's ranking was higher than that at Wimbledon. If that's true, then Nikki is in a way better than Sharapova when she was 17 but.....the fact remains Sharapova won Wimbledon, Nikki didnt.

MrSerenaWilliams
Nov 9th, 2006, 05:50 AM
I think over the next 10 years it will be all about Sharapova, Kuznetsova, Ivanovic and Vaidisova as the big 4 with Golovin, Jankovic and co. behind them.

Level I: Vaidisova & Ivanovic
Level II: Jankovic, Golovin, Azarenka
Level III: Karatantcheva, Krajicek, A. Radwanska
Level IV: Rezai, Cibulkova, Rybarikova
Level V: Mirza, Safarova

Then you have Palyuchenkova, Wozniacki, Paszek, Morita, etc. who are all capable of top 20 and higher, but it's kind of early for them. :p

Peer? :confused::sad:

OZTENNIS
Nov 9th, 2006, 05:59 AM
Sharapova to take over world tennis:confused: :help: :help: :tape:

God help us:lol: :lol:

Serena Williams/Martina Hingis/Justine Henin-Hardenne to rule the world:devil:

Stamp Paid
Nov 9th, 2006, 06:03 AM
Vaidisova will be her foil.
Sharapova and Vaidisova will be #1 and #2 once these old broads (Amelie, Justine, whatevers left of the Williams sisters, Kim :lol: ) croak.
Sharapova has not hit her peak yet. She is becoming a much better athlete and much fitter. When she hits her peak, (which may be like Serena - her 20th year - all the pieces seem to be coming together now like they were for Serena in the summer of 2001) watch out.
Nicole has amazing potential. If she had Sharapova's mental fortitude, she wold have won Roland Garros this year. Her and Sharapiva will be duking it out in slam finals, I believe.
Jankovic and Ivanovic will be in the mix as well. I cant wait to see a 22-23 year old Ivanovic and see what she can do. Hopefully she will get fitter and stronger like Sharapova.
I still hope the late, great Serena Williams will discover some of the player she was and reassert her position as an elite, top 3 player and not just a shadow of her former self, a constant reminder for Sharapova of what *not* to do.

ioni
Nov 9th, 2006, 06:22 AM
vaidisova ;)

Kunal
Nov 9th, 2006, 06:56 AM
its hard to say right now....everybody seems to be on a level playing field at the moment...we'll see nex year

jazar
Nov 9th, 2006, 06:58 AM
vaidisova
golovin
radwanska
azarenka
jankovic

Marcus Jordan
Nov 9th, 2006, 07:03 AM
By THE FUTURE do you mean next year? Cos I think Hingis will win most of the slams next year.

:inlove:
Nov 9th, 2006, 07:15 AM
Level I: Sharapova, Kuznetsova, Rezai, Vaidisova
Level II: Safina, Ivanovic, Jankovic, Peer
Level III: Golovin, A.Radwanska, Chakvetadze, Mirza
Level IV: Safarova, Paszek, Krajicek, Wozniacki
Level V: Yakimova, Kirilenko, Azarenka, Pavlyuchenkova
Talents But It's Too Early To Really Tell: Cibulkova, Rybarikova, Milevskaya, Morita, U.Radwanska

bellascarlett
Nov 9th, 2006, 09:23 AM
What is Nikki's ranking now? Sharapova was No. 34 I think when she won Wimbledon at 17. My friends say that Nikki's ranking was higher than that at Wimbledon. If that's true, then Nikki is in a way better than Sharapova when she was 17 but.....the fact remains Sharapova won Wimbledon, Nikki didnt.

Nope wrong. Maria was ranked 15 and seeded 13 when she won Wimbledon, beating Serena who was the number 1 seed. Nicole was ranked 13 and seeded 10 at Wimbledon, so ranking-wise just two spots up and Maria actually winning a slam more than negates that. Due to the slam win, Maria cracked the top ten earlier so that's another to negate your statement.

Maria made it to the YEC at 17 ranked 6 and of course we all know she won that as well, becoming the second YEC debutante to win the title (S.Williams-2001) and the first player since Davenport in 1999 to win Wimbledon and the season-ending Championships in the same season. She ended 2004 at age 17 in the top 5.

We all know Maria's record since the end of 2004. Made it to the semis of 3 slams in 2005 and has since been a constant presence in the top 5, even getting to number 1 for a few weeks at 18 yrs of age. Players mature at different rates and it's an idea emphasized a lot when this issue comes up but by your standards, Maria is way better. And the fact that she won a slam more than shuts the door on this topic. We'll see how Nicole does next year.