PDA

View Full Version : Sharapova's game

tennis-master83
Nov 8th, 2006, 11:50 PM
What makes Sharapova so dominant?(her 1st service, self confidence,her powerful groundstrokes, her fabulous contracts, her ambition)?:) :)

RR-87
Nov 8th, 2006, 11:59 PM
everything that you listed lol

RenaSlam.
Nov 9th, 2006, 12:07 AM
Her looks and contracts, for sure.

myxomatosis
Nov 9th, 2006, 12:09 AM
Her looks and contracts, for sure.I think you just nailed it right there :lol:

tennis-master83
Nov 9th, 2006, 12:10 AM
Her looks and contracts, for sure.

Maria wins 17 games in a row because she is the most beautiful player :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

rottweily
Nov 9th, 2006, 12:36 AM
... is a borefest to watch.

einna
Nov 9th, 2006, 01:17 AM
What makes Sharapova so dominant?(her 1st service, self confidence,her powerful groundstrokes, her fabulous contracts, her ambition)?:) :)

I still think it's too early to say that Maria is dominating women's tennis. What makes her a GREAT player are all the things you have said :)

metamorpha
Nov 9th, 2006, 01:37 AM
I really want to know who will be her nemeses in terms of mental strength.... would it be N. Vaidisova? Peer or Golovin?.

I really want to watch her battling someone who as intense as her with those loudly screams and piercing stare. :lol:

tennis-master83
Nov 9th, 2006, 02:03 AM
I really want to know who will be her nemeses in terms of mental strength.... would it be N. Vaidisova? Peer or Golovin?.

I really want to watch her battling someone who as intense as her with those loudly screams and piercing stare. :lol:

Wta must invent another Young Serena to compete with her in the next years.

Andy.
Nov 9th, 2006, 02:14 AM
Another thing is her ability to lift when under pressure and down break points, she doesnt crumble she plays even better and comes out fighting, hitting even harder, she is terrific at saving break points, probably better than anybody right now.

tennis-master83
Nov 9th, 2006, 02:16 AM
Another thing is her ability to lift when under pressure and down break points, she doesnt crumble she plays even better and comes out fighting, hitting even harder, she is terrific at saving break points, probably better than anybody right now.

She has more confidence in her 1st "very improved" service !:p

bellascarlett
Nov 9th, 2006, 05:02 AM

Right now, it's Justine. You won't get a grunting-fest but both players are the most intense and most mentally tough players out there. It's going to remain like that for a while as their games also allow them to be at the top mentally.

perseus2006
Nov 9th, 2006, 06:09 AM
I would be interested to see Pova play JHH in the semi's. I think that Pova has gone up another level and JHH is no longer strong enough to beat her.

Ben.
Nov 9th, 2006, 06:14 AM

true, that's what impressed me the most when she saved those BP's against Kim. her saves were just breathtaking 2 watch. it must be great 2 have that feeling of being able 2 lift when under pressure & not be intimidated by anything & make the opponent feel under pressure.

stevos
Nov 9th, 2006, 06:14 AM
Sharapova is playing amazingly right now, her movement and tactics have improved so much, I see her dominating next year.

But the only two ladies who can grind it out with her are Serena and JHH, but Serena isn't around and Justines not in her best form.

pla
Nov 9th, 2006, 06:18 AM

I don't know if she's dominant or not, time will tell. But what makes her so consistent is her game which is like a metronome (sp?). The ability to pound the ball left and right with such a precision is what makes her so good. Of course, the serve is the second most important and other "features" can only add to this.

Wayn77
Nov 9th, 2006, 06:22 AM
Not a Maria fan by any means but I have huge respect for her as a tennis player (not that she needs it). Watching the USO final again the other day against a top opponent like Henin, I couldn't believe how well she played in that match. She is very good now, and I fear she is going to get a lot better. Her mental toughness in big matches is very special indeed.

Lenafan
Nov 9th, 2006, 06:26 AM
Only thing in the WTA that strikes me as dominant these days is Henin on clay.

bandabou
Nov 9th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Maria's in good form right now...but I think players are doing a bad bad bad job at scouting..Maria has and will always have one big weakness: lateral movement...she moves pretty well but if you make her move left right left again, she can't do this...just the same as Lindsay.

But most players today are playing crosscourt, crosscourt the whole time..instead of making Maria move.

Stavie
Nov 9th, 2006, 01:42 PM

the AAUUUU when she hits the ball :lol: :tape:

Matt01
Nov 9th, 2006, 03:59 PM
Only thing in the WTA that strikes me as dominant these days is Henin on clay.

Then why did she lose to Schnyder in Charleston and to Petrova in Belin? :o

rjd1111
Nov 9th, 2006, 04:53 PM

Cupcake Draws and all the top players Injuries.

Lenafan
Nov 9th, 2006, 06:30 PM
Then why did she lose to Schnyder in Charleston and to Petrova in Belin? :o

Not even sure why I am even replying to your ignorant post, but winning 3 out of last four French Opens and not losing once in 2005 on clay is dominant to me including flat out dominating performances against Clijsters, Pierce, and Sharapova :o. I am not talking about some shit tournament and even there it took 3 sets to beat her.

xan
Nov 9th, 2006, 07:04 PM
Cupcake Draws and all the top players Injuries.

:lol:

Yes. Just look at Maria's "cupcake draw" at the US Open.... :rolleyes:

Orion
Nov 9th, 2006, 07:11 PM
winning one slam out of the year and going on a tear of events does not make you dominant, it makes you hot. if her form continues into next season, which is likely, and she holds multiple slam titles at once, then you can call her dominant. as of now, what makes her so good is her game plan, and her ability to force it onto her opponents. read steve tignor's analysis of it here:

http://tennisworld.typepad.com/thewrap/2006/10/i_feel_pretty_f.html

it's very astute.

Princeza
Nov 9th, 2006, 07:14 PM
her mental is terrific

Wayn77
Nov 9th, 2006, 07:18 PM
An interesting observation made about Sharapova by Eurosport commentator Sam Smith yesterday. You kinda wander into Maria match halfway through, you would never have no idea what the score was or the fortunes of the match. Maria's intensity levels remain absolutely consistent throughout the whole match.

goldenlox
Nov 9th, 2006, 07:24 PM
When I watch Sharapova, I see further room for improvement.
She's very good now, but you combine her size, intensity,
and the placement she has on hard hit balls,
I think she can get much better.

faboozadoo15
Nov 9th, 2006, 07:26 PM
An interesting observation made about Sharapova by Eurosport commentator Sam Smith yesterday. You kinda wander into Maria match halfway through, you would never have no idea what the score was or the fortunes of the match. Maria's intensity levels remain absolutely consistent throughout the whole match.

;) just like monica seles and chris evert.

the cat
Nov 9th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Maria isn't a dominant player yet. To be dominant she needs to win atleast 2 grand slams in 1 tennis season the way others have in the past.

Wayn77
Nov 9th, 2006, 07:28 PM
;) just like monica seles and chris evert.
yes, and Steffi as well.

Ms Sharapova if she remains motiviated is only gonna get better - a scary thought for the rest of the field.

Kart
Nov 9th, 2006, 07:28 PM
Her will to win is what makes her the player she is.

Frankly most of the other top players are only interested intermittently nowadays.

faboozadoo15
Nov 9th, 2006, 07:29 PM
Sharapova isn't dominating yet. She's the best hardcourter out there though, that's for sure. And indoor courts exaggerate her already great weapons. If she's playing with confidence, it's going to be really tough to beat her in the near future.

goldenlox
Nov 9th, 2006, 07:30 PM
Then Amelie is dominant. She won 2.
Maria has a chance to be dominant because, as I said,
she has the mental greatness, she's big and strong,
most importantly, her depth and placement.

bellascarlett
Nov 9th, 2006, 07:33 PM

Tracy Austin (our Versus commentator for YEC) just said that as well. ;)

It is very true.

But when a point matters so much and when she is a bit threatened, she screams cmon even louder. she gets more pumped up.

Corswandt
Nov 10th, 2006, 03:35 AM
Not even sure why I am even replying to your ignorant post, but winning 3 out of last four French Opens and not losing once in 2005 on clay is dominant to me including flat out dominating performances against Clijsters, Pierce, and Sharapova :o. I am not talking about some shit tournament and even there it took 3 sets to beat her.

JHH was NOT dominant on clay this season.

"But she won RG, which is what really matters".

Correct. Let's qualify your initial statement then:

"JHH has been dominant on RG".

BTW Charleston and Berlin are TIs. Hardly "shit tournaments".

Lenafan
Nov 10th, 2006, 03:54 AM
The T1's are a joke other than the Nasdaq. Shit tourneys to me are anything that isn't Nasdaq, GS, YEC, and maybe Fed Cup. . Besides by definition any tournament Nadia wins is a shit tournament. Only kidding. Dominant or not, Henin didn't lose a set in this year's FO, something neither Sharapova, Mauresmo or Clijsters can say in their runs. She didn't even get taken to a tiebreaker.