PDA

View Full Version : Madrid R2:Maria Sharapova def. Kim Clijsters 6-4 6-4 (videos add)

nouf
Nov 8th, 2006, 08:45 PM
The sharapovinator in action! :worship: :worship:

Maria the queen is ready to take the title! :drool:

:bounce: :bounce:

Vidéo match:
part1: http://youtube.com/watch?v=apCXDoGhUsQ
part2: http://youtube.com/watch?v=RsLpujTNLD8
part3: http://youtube.com/watch?v=ECTm_JPkp18
part4: http://youtube.com/watch?v=5tOTtIFxjyA
last game + interview maria: http://youtube.com/watch?v=tuLDtaNR7Bs

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 8th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Masha ;) :woohoo: :banana: ;) :D

so nearly cocked it up :o

Princeza
yeah unbeatable

~Carsten~
wow well done Masha! :)

RenaSlam.
Nov 8th, 2006, 08:48 PM
Gonna take a while for Kim to get into form...but good match from both!

Rusiks
Nov 8th, 2006, 08:48 PM
maria:drool:

no one will be able to stop her here..........

égalité
Nov 8th, 2006, 08:49 PM
:woohoo:

Давай Маша!

Helen Lawson
Big Masha on a rip!!!! Way to go, Big Masha!

Kim's_fan_4ever
Perhaps the first set wasn't thjat good, but the second was soo entertaining. I loved this match, especially the fight in the end.
Congrats Maria, and even though Kim lost I'm proud of her too ;)

Stamp Paid
Sharapova has improved so much...and is so aggressive.

Shoulderpova
Nov 8th, 2006, 08:50 PM
Masha:woohoo::drool:

franny
Maria played so well in this match, except those hiccups at the end. Man, I would have loved a 6-4, 6-2 drubbing, but oh well, 4 and 4 aint too bad. Good luck in your next match Martina!!!

loppy
Congrats Maria!

x Chu x
vamos!

John.
Maria is awesome right now

:inlove:
Nov 8th, 2006, 08:51 PM
Best match of the tourney so far, not that that's saying much. :o
Hoping for a 3 setter, but for Maria's sake I am so pleased. :banana: I think she has forgotten how to lose. ;)
Idiotic linespeople and ballboys though. :help:
Good try Kim. :kiss:

.david.
Nov 8th, 2006, 08:51 PM
Maria SO impressive:worship: :worship:

swissmr
Nov 8th, 2006, 08:52 PM
The sharapovinator in action! :worship: :worship:

Maria the queen is ready to take the title! :drool:

:bounce: :bounce:

Vidéo match:
part1: http://youtube.com/watch?v=apCXDoGhUsQ
part2: http://youtube.com/watch?v=RsLpujTNLD8
part3:
Thanks for the videos - you're fast.
Great win Masha :D
How crap were the line judges though.

P_Fer
great job Masha! Keep it up

Nice effort Kim

RenaSlam.
Match stats:

Maria: 24 winners, 22 UE :eek: :worship:
Kim: 13 winners, 22 UE :help:

KV
Well done Masha :)

Dexter
Nov 8th, 2006, 08:53 PM
Kim played below her usual level :(

streag
Nov 8th, 2006, 08:54 PM
Oh Kimmy... :heart:
Just unable to pull the trigger when the opponent is most vulnerable. How a player of that class and experience can have such big problems with a second serve kicker to the BH. Must be long layoff after injury. Hats off to Maria. So far she's winning the battle against all these schnitzels she had in Linz. But they will have their chance :devil:

bellascarlett
Nov 8th, 2006, 08:55 PM
Masha!!! :worship: :bowdown:

I told ya she'd win! :p

Can't believe more people picked Kim to win. :o Anyway, nothing new...

Maria, can we stop choking when serving for the match? Good thing you were two breaks up. But besides that, impressive play! Just impressive. Lovely ace to end the match too! The first serve percentage could still go up so there's still more to improve on. Keep it up Masha! Well done! :banana: :D

It was a great match! Kim played well enough and considering she just came back...good job to her. :yeah:

I highly enjoyed that match! Best so far!

Milli
Way to go!! :rocker2: :banana: :woohoo:

A very good match for Masha,she's almost certainly in the semis now:worship: Well done to Kimmie too,she played a good match...Hope she can go further in the tournament...

brent-o
Maria played scary good today. This might be a stupid statement (and I'm not her biggest fan so it's not a biased one) but I think from here on out she may go on to take a Federer-type role on the tour. She's gotten to be very, very aggressive on key points (take the last game, for instance). She probably won't dominate to the extent Federer does, but I think we've seen the end of semipova.

WIMBLY2004
Nov 8th, 2006, 08:56 PM
Well done Maria:worship: Now have some rest and take the title :bounce:

Pasta-Na
nice choke in the second set, kim :(

morningglory
mmm hmmm and I expected nothing less from my Siberian Angel! ;)

LucasArg
Nov 8th, 2006, 08:57 PM
Maria should take this big moment and finish this year as #1.

Geoffry
Nov 8th, 2006, 08:57 PM
Kim :sad:

Very entertaining second set tho.
Impressive display by Sharapova. :eek:

Kim's_fan_4ever
Nov 8th, 2006, 08:58 PM
nice choke in the second set, kim :(

She was never in the lead so how could she choke? :rolleyes:

Il Primo!
Nov 8th, 2006, 08:58 PM
Do you realise she only lost 2 sets since the beginnig of the US Open??
Maria :worship:

franny
Nov 8th, 2006, 09:00 PM
Maria is just amazing thus far since San Diego. You can just see the growth in her game, but still, a lot more work to do.

WIMBLY2004
Nov 8th, 2006, 09:01 PM
I was concerned her form after yesterday's match, but she raised her level so significantly when needed, that's a champ's response.:worship:

star
Great match from Sharapova :D

I hope she wins this thing, I think she deserves it.

Kipling
That was a great win for Masha--Kim is an awesome player, and fought well today. But Maria, at 19, is just now coming into her own. She keeps getting better and better with every match, and if she stays healthy, she's going to be awfully tough to beat for the forseeable future.

:hearts:

morningglory
Nov 8th, 2006, 09:02 PM
btw hk_andy... you were such a punk in Elena's match and you stay the same in Masha's... but now I'm afraid Masha just broke your heart!
A big :nerner: to you!!! ;)

jamatthews
Nov 8th, 2006, 09:02 PM
Poor Kim, not at her best but still some amazing retrieving. That point where she did the splits 3 times. :eek: The crowd refused to stop clapping. :worship:

tard~tard
Nov 8th, 2006, 09:07 PM
Omg. :eek: It's almost frightening how much Maria
has improved this year. Such power and precision!

Great match from both!

GoClijsters
Nov 8th, 2006, 09:08 PM
Maria played really awesome! I liked the 2nd set too. Maria's serve was great, especially in the first set. I think there's nothing you can do about that. Almost every BP of Kim blewed away with that impressive first serve!
I got the impression that at the end of the match Kim got closer to her level and I think that's very welcome for her next two matches. Good luck against Sveta and Elena, Kim!!!

Maria was ... wonderfull!! The title will be hers, she deserves it after these great latest months

bellascarlett
Nov 8th, 2006, 09:10 PM
Maria played so well in this match, except those hiccups at the end. Man, I would have loved a 6-4, 6-2 drubbing, but oh well, 4 and 4 aint too bad. Good luck in your next match Martina!!!

:lol: Martina on your mind huh? Good luck to her now though.

Ellery
Nov 8th, 2006, 09:12 PM
Kim :sad:

Congrats Masha!

Maria Croft
Nov 8th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Great match from both :D

Maria played so well today :yeah:

Lefty.
Nov 8th, 2006, 09:16 PM
Masha :yeah: :banana: I got worried at 5-4 when there were BP's but you pulled off. :woohoo:

Kim :hug: :kiss:

jes_022
Nov 8th, 2006, 09:17 PM
Congrats to Maria!

And good last few games by Kim. Very entertaining.
Kick some butt against Elena and Kuzi!!!

Nickitos2006
Nov 8th, 2006, 09:20 PM
Congrats, Masha! :kiss: Great match and a great win! Thanks God, it's all finished in two sets, cuz I really doubt Masha has any energy left to play the 3-rd.
Kim is such a tough opponent for Masha... she really can wear Maria out.

myxomatosis
Nov 8th, 2006, 09:23 PM
Maria! :woohoo:
Keep it up all the way to the title!

Filippo-Nastya
Nov 8th, 2006, 09:24 PM
It's unbelievable how Maria plays well when she has to fight off the break points. I would like to know the bp won by Maria's opponents since San Diego.

Kitten63
Nov 8th, 2006, 09:25 PM
well done masha! please win your next two matches kim!

mike/topgun
Nov 8th, 2006, 09:25 PM
really nice match:)
some great rallies:bowdown:

Go Masha and Go Kim:yeah:

sapir1434
Nov 8th, 2006, 09:28 PM
Kim :sad: :sad: :sad:

DAVAJ MKirilenko
Nov 8th, 2006, 09:29 PM
I still don't understand that such a good player can't play a volley :confused:
But I don't see anyone defeating Maria.

Reiken
Nov 8th, 2006, 09:34 PM
nicely done maria

<!Society!>
Nov 8th, 2006, 09:36 PM
Sharapova has improved so much...and is so aggressive.

Agreed.

I knew that once she got that second grandslam after all those semi finals appearances, there would be no stopping her.

Unbeaten since The US Open, Storming through the draw at the YEC, already ripped 2 players apart.

Can see her having an amazing season in 07.

soccerjock
Nov 8th, 2006, 09:43 PM
Impressive stuff from Maria!

F-R-E-A-K
Nov 8th, 2006, 09:48 PM
Maria :kiss: :hearts: :bounce:

Ben.
Nov 8th, 2006, 10:00 PM
oh kim, why didn't u convert all those break opportunities in second set where u could of led 3-1 & could of evened it up at 5-5 :sad: i feel quite disappointed at the moment 4 u kim but u gave it your best, u didn't make it so easy 4 maria & your playing the YEC which all that matters 2 me kim :)

plz give it 100% in your next 2 RR matches & just do your best :) i believe in u kim :yeah:

well done maria, u really impressed me with your form & you've still kept it goin. 2 wins in strai8 sets & your in2 the semis. congrats maria once again, u r one of my faves & i'm glad that kim lost 2 u rather than someone lower ranked :yeah: all the break pts u saved were due 2 your mental toughness & never to die attitude. u rock maria! :rocker:

Andy.
Nov 8th, 2006, 10:09 PM
Awesome win Masha, great fight and what a good win. Im so happy

hythger
Nov 8th, 2006, 10:33 PM
kimmie:sad:

Sha_ra_po_va
Nov 8th, 2006, 11:02 PM
That was fab from masha - she was so aggressive, lovely movement, great groundies and pulled it all together suberbly after a little hiccup. awesome!

CrossCourt~Rally
Nov 8th, 2006, 11:04 PM
:worship: MASHA :worship:

Mightymirza
Nov 8th, 2006, 11:13 PM
kims BH :o that was the steady shot once upon a time right??Soo many mistakes on that wing..:o

Derek.
Nov 8th, 2006, 11:19 PM
Kim. :sad:

Andy.
Nov 8th, 2006, 11:39 PM
It's unbelievable how Maria plays well when she has to fight off the break points. I would like to know the bp won by Maria's opponents since San Diego.
Maria is becoming so good on break points now, she is probably the best player out there now at fighting them off, she just goes for it without fear and hits even harder and more agressively.

cometz9
Nov 8th, 2006, 11:40 PM
Kimmie :sad: :sobbing: she's still finding her form, nice try but please beat Sveta and Lena next :kiss:

mboyle
Nov 8th, 2006, 11:56 PM
Maria was downright fast! And SoOOOOOOO aggressive on the run. Some of those shots were unbelievable:eek: .

jacobruiz
Nov 9th, 2006, 12:06 AM
Omg. :eek: It's almost frightening how much Maria
has improved this year. Such power and precision!

Non-fans of Maria will soon be learning what Maria meant with her "I'm only 17/18" remarks.;)

Maria!:yeah:

IceHock
Nov 9th, 2006, 12:08 AM
Kim still showin some rust, too many silly errors.

jacobruiz
Nov 9th, 2006, 12:08 AM
Maria is becoming so good on break points now, she is probably the best player out there now at fighting them off, she just goes for it without fear and hits even harder and more agressively.

For a while this year it seemed as though Maria had lost some of her mental edge but she definately has it back!:worship:

Dan23
Nov 9th, 2006, 12:23 AM
another good win Maria :yeah:

Aaron68
Nov 9th, 2006, 12:25 AM
Nobody on the planet could have stopped Masha today. When she plays like that, you just have to tip your cap and hope to get her the next time.

What was scary was that Kim was getting to ball after ball after ball (many of which no one else would have even had a chance at), and Maria kept pounding away, keeping the ball in the court. She had to hit 2, 3, sometimes 4 winners on a point ... but she would do it.

If that had been against anyone except Kim, the match would have lasted 40 minutes. That wasn't tennis, it was a surgical strike.

Masha has that second serve working on this surface. It was kicking up so damned high, Kim was returning the *second* serve from 4 feet behind the baseline. The total diversity in Masha's service game is becoming astounding. She can and does almost anything out there now. That big kick 2nd serve is going to be wicked on the Rebound Ace in January.

After the way Maria played yesterday, which was frankly not that impressive, I was wondering if she was maybe tired. But today, wow. Simply scary. It goes to show once again that the Russians just tend to play ugly matches against one and other.

Oh, and I agree that Maria is going to start to be the WTA's Federer. Obviously, she will never be quite that dominant. But she will be the closest thing the WTA has to FedEx. 2007 is going to be Masha's year.

18 in a row, and still counting.

Marija
Nov 9th, 2006, 12:25 AM
Maria :worship: :worship:

Alvarillo
Nov 9th, 2006, 12:27 AM
Poor Kim, not at her best but still some amazing retrieving. That point where she did the splits 3 times. :eek: The crowd refused to stop clapping. :worship:

tha point wassss
noone wanted to stop clapping, both deserved it
Kim :sad: :kiss:

Sharapova's_Boy
Nov 9th, 2006, 01:48 AM
Masha :woohoo:

Pasta-Na
Nov 9th, 2006, 03:12 AM
kim is good, just need more time to get her form back. hope she will win one more G.S before her retirement. she is as nice as usual to say maria is in her best form.

gary
Nov 9th, 2006, 03:15 AM
Masha :woohoo: :banana:
will she tank vs Sveta? :tape: :o

Ben.
Nov 9th, 2006, 03:19 AM
kim is good, just need more time to get her form back. hope she will win one more G.S before her retirement. she is as nice as usual to say maria is in her best form.

yeah once kim finds her best form, look out every1 :yeah: yes i do hope she wins another slam title b4 she retires. doesn't deserve 2 go out with only 1 to her name.

morningglory
Nov 9th, 2006, 03:19 AM
Masha :woohoo: :banana:
will she tank vs Sveta? :tape: :o

nah Masha'll wanna keep her winning streak going for confidence's sakes (and for intimidation's sake too :p )

However IF and only if Svetlana wins at least a set tomorrow, then Masha will be assured of a semi spot.
IF Kim wins in straights, Masha needs either a set off Kuzzy or Elena beating Kim, OR sheer luck of the # of games statistics... (of which I highly doubt the semi-berths decision will come down to)

Kunal
Nov 9th, 2006, 05:51 AM
damnit

ioni
Nov 9th, 2006, 07:25 AM
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: i knew you could beat kim :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: now take care of sveta please :devil:

Beat
Nov 9th, 2006, 09:01 AM
I still don't understand that such a good player can't play a volley :confused:

that's what i was thinking. imagine if sharapova had at least a little bit of skill at the net... she certainly gets many chances to come to the net, but usually stays at the baseline. for obvious reasons.

1star
Nov 9th, 2006, 09:45 AM
http://www.tennis.com/uploadedimages/NNTP_Photos/01869_SPAIN_WTA_CHAMPIONSHIPS.sff.jpg

tennis-master83
Nov 9th, 2006, 09:48 AM
http://www.tennis.com/uploadedimages/NNTP_Photos/01869_SPAIN_WTA_CHAMPIONSHIPS.sff.jpg

Kim play a good tennis but Maria was just to good for her.:D

Rerun
Nov 9th, 2006, 10:59 AM
Can you post it the palyer's press conferences (expecially Kim's press c.) after the match?;)

cheo23
Nov 9th, 2006, 02:20 PM
CONGRATULATIONS MISS MARIA SHARAPOVA!!!!!!!

U SERVED BEAUTIFUL & hit AMAZING WINNERS!!!!! :hearts:

I didn't expect u to consistently SERVE THAT AWESOME

Kimmie, just one bad serve game in that 1st set & u couldn't CONVERT ON u're BREAK POINTS! :weirdo: :smash: :sobbing: oh well...I'm sure u'll win u're NEXT MATCH!!!!!!!!!! :sobbing: :sobbing: :sobbing:

xan
Nov 9th, 2006, 04:20 PM
Probably the best quality match of the tournament so far.

Maria played extremely well except for the blip when serving for the match in the 2nd set. Excellent play. Keep it up Maria!

franny
Nov 9th, 2006, 05:36 PM
:lol: Martina on your mind huh? Good luck to her now though.

Hehe, I can't help it, I love me Marti. But I love me Sharapova too. Ooooh I wish they can meet each other in the finals.