PDA

View Full Version : Tracy Austin and Tim Ryan might as well just rename every match...

treufreund
Nov 8th, 2006, 07:46 PM
to the "let's all talk about Sharapova and how great she is non-stop". Damn! They talked more about Sharapova in Kuznetsova's match than they did about Kuznetsova. It truly is the most Maria worshipping I have ever heard. :o:mad::rolleyes::lol:

goldenlox
Nov 8th, 2006, 07:55 PM
What's the difference. It's on Versus, that means 500 viewers.

MisterMan
Nov 8th, 2006, 07:56 PM
That's because Maria IS tennis right now.
There's no greater star.
She's got the looks and she's playing better than everyone.
She's tennis' wet dream.

Lefty.
Nov 8th, 2006, 07:57 PM
What's the difference. It's on Versus, that means 500 viewers.

And the 500 people are probably all the people that go on here.;)

Helen Lawson
Nov 8th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Tracy adores Big Masha. If it was Mary Joe, we'd be hearing all about Kim in every match regardless of whether Kim is playing, so every commentator has their favorites.

Serena19
Nov 8th, 2006, 08:01 PM
You think Maria's playing the best?

You obviously didn't see her play against Elena.

And did you see Justine yesterday? Doesn't take a genious to work out who is playing best and tennis' star right now. There's a reason Justine is statistically the most likely to end year number one :)

MisterMan
Nov 8th, 2006, 08:02 PM

You do realize many players only do what they HAVE to do to win a match.
If any of those sets got even remotely close, you would have seen a much different Maria.
She really didn't have to do much of anything yesterday except watch Elena self destruct.

LDF
Nov 8th, 2006, 08:03 PM

And did you see Justine yesterday? Doesn't take a genious to work out who is playing best and tennis' star right now. There's a reason Justine is statistically the most likely to end year number one :)

:o :lol:

Kipling
Nov 8th, 2006, 08:05 PM
It's funny, I kind of got the impression that Tim Ryan really likes to belittle Masha for her grunting.

It's pretty natural that Austin would identify with Sharapova, though. In their own ways, they were/are the glamour girls of tennis. This, they have in common. I disagree that she is not being objective though. I've heard Tracy make many comments about things Maria needs to improve in her game. Fair criticisms.

Sharakim
Nov 8th, 2006, 08:06 PM
If any of those sets got even remotely close, you would have seen a much different Maria.
She really didn't have to do much of anything yesterday except watch Elena self destruct.Exactly. The best players are the ones who don't have to play their best all the time to win, they just have to pick up their game when it really counts.

Kipling
Nov 8th, 2006, 08:07 PM

Huh? In the match I was watching, Henin blew a 5-2 lead in the second set.

Nobody yesterday, other than MAYBE Petrova, was playing "well"...

Serena19
Nov 8th, 2006, 08:08 PM
She really didn't have to do much of anything yesterday except watch Elena self destruct.

I was thinking of how few errors Justine made and their serve speeds and percentages, not to mention their court craft when I said Justine was playing better.

Hi LDF btw :D

Serena19
Nov 8th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Huh? In the match I was watching, Henin blew a 5-2 lead in the second set.

Nobody yesterday, other than MAYBE Petrova, was playing "well"...

She did drop off a bit, but she was playing Martina Hingis afterall and she said herself Martina starting playing her game at that point. How many games was it Maria won again when Martina played her game in Toykyo? ;)

If you don't think Justine played well in that first set then quite frankly I don't know what to say to you!

Sharakim
Nov 8th, 2006, 08:11 PM
It's pretty natural that Austin would identify with Sharapova, though. In their own ways, they were/are the glamour girls of tennis. This, they have in common. I disagree that she is not being objective though. I've heard Tracy make many comments about things Maria needs to improve in her game. Fair criticisms.Another thing Austin and Sharapova have in common: they're both fierce and gritty fighters on the court.

Wayn77
Nov 8th, 2006, 08:13 PM
That's because Maria IS tennis right now.
There's no greater star.
She's got the looks and she's playing better than everyone.
She's tennis' wet dream.

I and many others would beg to differ ...

MisterMan
Nov 8th, 2006, 08:18 PM
How many games was it Maria won again when Martina played her game in Tokyo? ;)

Yea, and look who crushed Martina in Tokyo !!:tape:

Kipling
Nov 8th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Another thing Austin and Sharapova have in common: they're both fierce and gritty fighters on the court.

Good point.

And that they were both taught by Lansdorp.

Which reminds me that, in respect to the initial criticism, Tracy also refers alot to Davenport, not just Sharapova. I bet the fact that all three were mentored by Lansdorp has alot to do with that.

PLP
Nov 8th, 2006, 08:20 PM
She did drop off a bit, but she was playing Martina Hingis afterall and she said herself Martina starting playing her game at that point. How many games was it Maria won again when Martina played her game in Toykyo? ;)

If you don't think Justine played well in that first set then quite frankly I don't know what to say to you!

Great point! Justine played extremely well for ALMOST 2 whole sets! She wasn't giving Martina anything to work with.
Granted Martina was uninspired to say the least :crying2:
I think Justine is playing better than Nadia, who looked good yesterday, but it is hard to gage when Momo was so off :eek: .

Getting back to the thread though: We all know that Tracy loves Maria, no news here. But the thing is, 99% of what she is saying is true. Maria is the hot player right now, no denying it :shrug:

Kipling
Nov 8th, 2006, 08:23 PM
How many games was it Maria won again when Martina played her game in Toykyo? ;)

What does that have to do with anything? How many did Martina win against Maria at Dubai or Indian Wells, the most recent times they've played?

Why all the indirect comparisons to matches played months ago between different players? That's grasping at straws. The last time Maria and Justine shared a court, Masha cleaned up the court with her, 4 and 4.

By the way, one set does not a match make. By set scores, Maria's 6-1 first set against Dementieva was really impressive, regardless of how many DFs Dementieva had. But that 6-1, 6-4 match was ugly. And to suggest that Henin's dropping 5 straight games to a weaker opponent didn't mar her performance yesterday is silly. There was no need for that match to go three sets. She served very poorly.

Lindsayfan32
Nov 8th, 2006, 08:58 PM
Tim Ryan over doing what a suprise that is. I've got some dvds from ESPN and he never shuts up and goes on and on and on about nothing that's worth listening to. It gives me the number 2's.