PDA

View Full Version : The Tennis Channel

alfajeffster
Nov 8th, 2006, 05:25 PM
I'm finally getting hooked up with a satellite service that carries it, and noticed on the Tennis Channel schedule that they're not televising anything prior to the semis. For those of you who have it, is this the norm for them with the big tournaments like the majors and the WTA/ATP championships?

Chriskip
Nov 8th, 2006, 05:40 PM
That station isnt all its cracked up to be in my opinion. They dont show a lot of live matches and the matches they do show they repeat over and over and over and over again, even in a short period of time. They are a letdown to me.

Helen Lawson
Nov 8th, 2006, 05:43 PM
No, this is unusual, I remember a couple of years ago in L.A., they were showing the RR matches because the stands were even more depleted and emtpy than even in the final and semis. There was a guy in a goofy hat who literally looked homeless, and I was wondering if they were giving tickets out like on the street trying to fill it up.
They are good about showing doubles, though, which you'll never get on ESPN.

Kipling
Nov 8th, 2006, 05:45 PM
I'm finally getting hooked up with a satellite service that carries it, and noticed on the Tennis Channel schedule that they're not televising anything prior to the semis. For those of you who have it, is this the norm for them with the big tournaments like the majors and the WTA/ATP championships?

Semis of what?

The WTA Championships singles are on the Versus network. TTC has the semis and final for the doubles.

And yes, TTC, when it does carry WTA tournaments, usually only has the SF and F, though at the recent Linz tournament, they also showed three of the QF matches.

I keep hoping that TTC will eventually outgrow its infancy and start coming up with enough programming that they don't have to resort to replaying stuff over and over, but in the year and a half I have subscribed to it, there haven't been any changes.

Heck--I wish they'd show more "vintage" matches, rather than replaying Center Court and those other shows a dozen times or more.

Helen Lawson
Nov 8th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Semis of what?

The WTA Championships singles are on the Versus network. TTC has the semis and final for the doubles.

And yes, TTC, when it does carry WTA tournaments, usually only has the SF and F, though at the recent Linz tournament, they also showed three of the QF matches.

GREAT name and avatar!!!!! :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

Kipling
Nov 8th, 2006, 05:51 PM
GREAT name and avatar!!!!! :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

:wavey:

trivfun
Nov 8th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Semis of what?

I keep hoping that TTC will eventually outgrow its infancy and start coming up with enough programming that they don't have to resort to replaying stuff over and over, but in the year and a half I have subscribed to it, there haven't been any changes.

Heck--I wish they'd show more "vintage" matches, rather than replaying Center Court and those other shows a dozen times or more.

They are showing

Helen Lawson
Nov 8th, 2006, 05:52 PM
That station isnt all its cracked up to be in my opinion. They dont show a lot of live matches and the matches they do show they repeat over and over and over and over again, even in a short period of time. They are a letdown to me.

It's gotten a lot better in the last couple of years and at least you can see a lot of the European indoor tournaments and the pre-French clay ones. But it's obvious they're calling it in a studio in New York based on feed from Eurosport or something. They have no control over the shots and cameras at all, and you can tell when someone famous in Europe but unknown to Americans is in the audience because the camera people are constantly showing that person, and it's like, who the hell is that?

Kipling
Nov 8th, 2006, 05:55 PM
They have no control over the shots and cameras at all, and you can tell when someone famous in Europe but unknown to Americans is in the audience because the camera people are constantly showing that person, and it's like, who the hell is that?

I know! I thought I was the only one who was wondering. :)

Not to mention that Leif Shiras and Katrina Adams aren't the most scintillating broadcasting duo around. They are competent, but sometimes it's hard to stay awake listening to them.

Helen Lawson
Nov 8th, 2006, 05:59 PM
I know! I thought I was the only one who was wondering. :)

Not to mention that Leif Shiras and Katrina Adams aren't the most scintillating broadcasting duo around. They are competent, but sometimes it's hard to stay awake listening to them.

I have a soft spot for Kat, but she and the other guy are kind of dull. I love her "Kat's Keys to the Match" or whatever. It's always like "get first serve in, return well," like that isn't every player's keys to winning a match?

tae04
Nov 8th, 2006, 06:01 PM
The ATP Master Events are probably the best coverage on TTC. They show round 1 to the finals, basically every match all day.

Wish they did that with the bigger women's tournaments.