PDA

View Full Version : Martina's serve has improved a lot IMO

markhingis
Nov 8th, 2006, 03:48 PM
She was serving really hard and well-placed.Many of her serves were over 170kmh.
IMO she can serve hard if she wants,but she's too lazy to do it always.
I hope her serve won't let her down.

LefandePatty
Nov 8th, 2006, 03:52 PM
are you kidding? :tape:

thedragon
Nov 8th, 2006, 03:57 PM
didn't she make like 4 aces yesterday? :p

moby
Nov 8th, 2006, 03:59 PM
I'm more interested in the second serve. Martina's first serve while never a big weapon, was never a huge liability.

spencercarlos
Nov 8th, 2006, 04:05 PM
She was serving really hard and well-placed.Many of her serves were over 170kmh.
IMO she can serve hard if she wants,but she's too lazy to do it always.
I hope her serve won't let her down.
I would not say so, she is hitting her first serves harder i agree but she does not have a high percent of those in, and her second serve still sucks :s so..

GoDominique
Nov 8th, 2006, 04:09 PM
Um how often did she hold yesterday? :o

tennisfan5
Nov 8th, 2006, 04:19 PM
her second serve was pretty awful yesterday--it's just waiting to be spanked for a winner. She consistantly starts the point in a very defensive position.

John.
Nov 8th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Her second serve :help:

LeonHart
Nov 8th, 2006, 04:40 PM
Martina still needs work on her 2nd serve.

Usually she's pretty good about keeping her first serve well placed enough to be un-attackable

rikvanlooy
Nov 8th, 2006, 04:43 PM
her second serve was pretty awful yesterday--it's just waiting to be spanked for a winner. She consistantly starts the point in a very defensive position.

No it wasn't pretty awful. It was just Justine who pounded every second serve. The return of serve of Justine is underrated. Justine enjoys beating the crap out of her second serve.

tennisfan5
Nov 8th, 2006, 04:50 PM
No it wasn't pretty awful. It was just Justine who pounded every second serve. The return of serve of Justine is underrated. Justine enjoys beating the crap out of her second serve.

Well, the top players know how to take advantage of a weak second serve. A lot of them were just middle of the box and slow

RenaSlam.
Nov 8th, 2006, 05:15 PM
:tape:

Enna crushed the sh-t out of it yesterday.

vejh
Nov 8th, 2006, 05:18 PM
Her serve has improved. You can't use Henin return as a gauge for it because Henin also spanks Linds return at will. JHH is a pretty good returner (she has to be, to be so short-limbed and still break Linds, Shara etc). Hingis' placement was great, and her second serve wasn't bad. I thought the rallies were the determinant factors in the match.

No.1Hingis
Nov 8th, 2006, 05:47 PM
3 Ace's... she dont unsed to IN those as I remember.. Im glad for the improving.. of course .. theres a lot to do.. but certainly she is adaptating her game to the actual..

adam_ads_n
Nov 8th, 2006, 05:50 PM
Isn't it 10th or 20th thread about it this year? :tape:

PLP
Nov 8th, 2006, 06:31 PM
Her serve has improved. You can't use Henin return as a gauge for it because Henin also spanks Linds return at will. JHH is a pretty good returner (she has to be, to be so short-limbed and still break Linds, Shara etc). Hingis' placement was great, and her second serve wasn't bad. I thought the rallies were the determinant factors in the match.

Yeah, Justine is definitely a bad example, she can hit return winners off excellent serves....Martina's serve has improved in general but when she is under pressure from a top player she has a problem getting her 1st serve in...t's a mental thing and I hope she can overcome it next year.

Morrissey
Nov 8th, 2006, 07:25 PM
Martina isn't going to win anymore slams until she cleans up her serve. I watched the Canadian Open and it was a joke. Ivanovic just whacked Hingis first and second serves all the time. Hingis was constantly on the defensive and she was overpowered. If Hingis wants to get back to the top 5 she needs a more powerful serve. There is just no other way for Martina. She either improves the first or second serve or she have to be content just being in the top 10 and losing to the other top players.

metamorpha
Nov 8th, 2006, 08:36 PM
Yeah, Justine is definitely a bad example, she can hit return winners off excellent serves....Martina's serve has improved in general but when she is under pressure from a top player she has a problem getting her 1st serve in...t's a mental thing and I hope she can overcome it next year.

True, but actually Hingis had shown once that she could serve consistently very well in a match regardless the pressure she got. At least, I could see this happening at her first encounter against Kuzzy in Doha.

Martina frequently held her serve safely when threatened by break points at the first set. Eventually she won that set thru a tight tie-breaker.

franny
Nov 8th, 2006, 10:02 PM
Her first serve has improved A LOT, but boy, her second serve is still really really bad. It just sits there. Look at where Petrova stands when Hingis gives her a second serve. Still, I'm impressed by the free points won from the first serve.

PLP
Nov 8th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Her first serve has improved A LOT, but boy, her second serve is still really really bad. It just sits there. Look at where Petrova stands when Hingis gives her a second serve. Still, I'm impressed by the free points won from the first serve.

Yeah, Martina has shown a lot of growth in her serve but now she's getting tired...:sad:

LoveFifteen
Nov 8th, 2006, 10:14 PM
Yeah, Martina has shown a lot of growth in her serve but now she's getting tired...:sad:

Yeah, I hate serving because mine gets worse as I get more and more tired. I feel like it's the part of my game that suffers worst when I am tired ... well, besides my footwork. LOL! :lol:

Buitenzorg
Nov 8th, 2006, 10:15 PM
Hingis :)

PLP
Nov 8th, 2006, 10:20 PM
Yeah, I hate serving because mine gets worse as I get more and more tired. I feel like it's the part of my game that suffers worst when I am tired ... well, besides my footwork. LOL! :lol:
Yeap, midway through the 2nd set you could almost see Marti's arm getting tired...:sad:

Well, at least this is highly entertaining! Many thought Marti wouldn't take a set off JUJU or Nadia!

Ben.
Nov 8th, 2006, 10:21 PM
True, but actually Hingis had shown once that she could serve consistently very well in a match regardless the pressure she got. At least, I could see this happening at her first encounter against Kuzzy in Doha.

Martina frequently held her serve safely when threatened by break points at the first set. Eventually she won that set thru a tight tie-breaker.

yes, but she needs 2 serve consistently against the top players most of the time rather than just once. it's improving & it's much better than the last few years she has played on the tour but when it come 2 crunch time these days. Wham! her serve gets nailed, simple as that.

as i said this many times b4 if she wants 2 win a slam & be top 5 consistently she's gonna have 2 still work on her serve & even add more power 2 her groundies plsu still use that tennis brain of her's otherwise she can just be content with top 10 or simply fall out of it.

crazillo
Nov 8th, 2006, 10:24 PM
It has improved, but espacially needed would be a higher percentage of first serves IMO.

Ben.
Nov 8th, 2006, 10:25 PM

yeah, my serve is shit as well 2 & i need 2 improve it a lot, mainly the ball toss is problem 4 me. yesterday when i played competiton in my local area, my service game i made 4 DF's 2 give the game away & luckily the rain came & the match got cancelled because i was losing at the time :lol:

hythger
Nov 8th, 2006, 10:31 PM
Her first serve it a lot better but she needs to work on the 2nd. Aside that she's playing really well.

hythger
Nov 8th, 2006, 10:46 PM
C'mon Hingis!!!!

Hawn
Nov 8th, 2006, 11:20 PM
She has certainly gained speed on her serve as she hit numerous aces and service winners against Petrova today. Her second serve IS better than pre-retirement in general but of course still sits up to be knocked. But I do think it's interesting that Petrova, who is known to have an amazing serve, was broken several times today. :rolleyes:

Sund7101
Nov 8th, 2006, 11:41 PM
Martina just needs to get a high percentage of 1st serves in, her serve has improved though.

Farina Elia Fan
Nov 8th, 2006, 11:44 PM
Everyone has jumped on this bandwagan a little

Justine has hit Davenport's serves for return wins quite often - she is excellent at doing it!

Hingis 1st serve has improved so much and yes the 2nd serve sits up but as long as she hits above 70% 1st serves she should be fine

Martian Jeza
Nov 8th, 2006, 11:44 PM
I would like her losing less her serve than she currently does but there are little improvements at her serve, may she keeping this way to have a good service which will be less attackable...

Dawn Marie
Nov 8th, 2006, 11:52 PM
yes it looked pretty darn good.

Did you see that backhand DTL on match point! That was classic Hingis right there.

MrSerenaWilliams
Nov 9th, 2006, 12:04 AM
It looked better against Nadia than I've seen it in a LONG time

Steffica Greles
Nov 9th, 2006, 12:09 AM
Hingis has often improved her serve throughout her career - both halves.

To take but one example, I remember watching her in the Tokyo Pan Pacific final against Seles in February 2002. It was Hingis' last tournament victory before her sabbatical.

The commentators and myself were struck by how fluidly she was serving. Her serves had bite and some degree of power. Most especially, they were placed to devastating effect. I remember thinking that Hingis was finally beginning to develop as a player.

But in her next few tournaments her serve was as benign as ever. And the rest is history, as they say.

I didn't see the match, but I wouldn't hold my breath about improvements in her serving motion if I were you.

Ryan
Nov 9th, 2006, 12:13 AM
Hingis has often improved her serve throughout her career - both halves.

To take but one example, I remember watching her in the Tokyo Pan Pacific final against Seles in February 2002. It was Hingis' last tournament victory before her sabbatical.

The commentators and myself were struck by how fluidly she was serving. Her serves had bite and some degree of power. Most especially, they were placed to devastating effect. I remember thinking that Hingis was finally beginning to develop as a player.

But in her next few tournaments her serve was as benign as ever. And the rest is history, as they say.

I didn't see the match, but I wouldn't hold my breath about improvements in her serving motion if I were you.

No, please do.

Steffica Greles
Nov 9th, 2006, 01:12 AM
No, please do.

I don't understand why you get so offended by another person's opinion. Why else do you read these threads?

I disagree with 99% of what I read on here. If I think it's worthwhile, I make my point. But I never advise self-censorship.

Andrew..
Nov 9th, 2006, 01:16 AM
She served very well today. But she's had these kind of good serving days scattered throughout the year. The bad days still outnumber the good on her serve 4:1.

metamorpha
Nov 9th, 2006, 01:19 AM
She also 'ever' improved her 2nd serve, didn't it? If you watch her match against Serena at AO 2001 quarterfinal thriller, Hingis even once got ace with her 2nd serve. :lol: It's not hard but delivered very quickly (not with a long toss) and accurately placed.

Reuchlin
Nov 9th, 2006, 01:25 AM
This ALWAYS happens after a player has a 'good win'-- suddenly they've found the solution to all of their technical/mental issues--- give me a break people.

Chewie
Nov 9th, 2006, 01:31 AM
Did you notice those serves to ad-court T with some lef-spin that makes ball go away from the opponent, Sampras's trademark. I don't recall seeing Martina hit those kind of serves with such amount of spin before.
Serve is not all about mph or kmh, it's placement and spin too. Martina has good kick on her second serve, which many players find hard to cope with.
Nearly all female players have attackable second serve. Henin didn't have yesterday really, but she was taking risks with her second serve...and making some doublefaults in process.

Also, having first serve% low just tells that someone is going for her serve maybe a bit too much, which is bold at least.

And to stefficagrelez, other top female players think Martina's serve has improved recently. Of course you know better than professional players...

moby
Nov 9th, 2006, 01:45 AM
But I do think it's interesting that Petrova, who is known to have an amazing serve, was broken several times today. :rolleyes:Nadia relies heavily on free points on her serve, i.e. service winners and aces. Martina Hingis does not give you those. She is one of the most consistent returners of first serves, if not the most. You may use your serve to set points up against her and get her on the defensive, but it takes more than a great serve for her not to get it back in play.

dinhd82
Nov 9th, 2006, 02:16 AM
Aren't all 2nd serves weak? What Martina needs to do is continue building her 1st and get a higher percentage in but at the same time make it a weapon. 2nd serves are meant to be weak, everybody's is....except for Sampras.

Andrew..
Nov 9th, 2006, 02:34 AM
Aren't all 2nd serves weak?
No.

alfonsojose
Nov 9th, 2006, 02:46 AM
Aren't all 2nd serves weak? What Martina needs to do is continue building her 1st and get a higher percentage in but at the same time make it a weapon. 2nd serves are meant to be weak, everybody's is....except for Sampras.

:cuckoo: Her 2nd serve sucks, and i'm a fan of hers

dinhd82
Nov 9th, 2006, 03:06 AM
No.

Name one that is not...except Sampras.

dinhd82
Nov 9th, 2006, 03:07 AM
:cuckoo: Her 2nd serve sucks, and i'm a fan of hers

I'm not saying her 2nd serve is great.

Ryan
Nov 9th, 2006, 03:10 AM
I don't understand why you get so offended by another person's opinion. Why else do you read these threads?

I disagree with 99% of what I read on here. If I think it's worthwhile, I make my point. But I never advise self-censorship.

Really, it's only your opinion that annoys me because you're full of shit, yet you think that what you say goes. It's really rather disgusting.