PDA

View Full Version : How Is Dementieva A Top Player

dr03
Nov 8th, 2006, 02:20 PM
I'm relatively new to the tennis scene, but i have no cloue who she could be a top player in the world. She has no serve, and has to rely on breaking people to win. I just don't see how she can be so highly ranked.

jamatthews
Nov 8th, 2006, 02:23 PM
85% of the tour are lesbians so Dementieva distracts them by changing her clothes after sets.

Louis Cyphre
Nov 8th, 2006, 02:25 PM
I'm relatively new to the tennis scene, but i have no cloue who she could be a top player in the world. She has no serve, and has to rely on breaking people to win. I just don't see how she can be so highly ranked.

have you ever played tennis?

prophet2
Nov 8th, 2006, 02:26 PM
Its a testament how good the rest of her game is, to be a top player with a horrible serve.

thedragon
Nov 8th, 2006, 02:27 PM
85% of the tour are lesbians so Dementieva distracts them by changing her clothes after sets.

:lol: :lol:

dr03
Nov 8th, 2006, 02:29 PM
I've played tennis a bit, but it would seem real hard to consistently win the way she does. If she can't break you she's pretty much done which has been her recent results.

Meeek
Nov 8th, 2006, 02:36 PM
and has to rely on breaking people to win. I

:confused: That's the idea of tennis in general, you need to break to win.

markhingis
Nov 8th, 2006, 02:42 PM
That shows that most of the players cannot attack her weak serve,if it's IN. Each return should be a winner. Apart from her serve, her game is complete.
But I can't satnd watching her ,struggling to put the serve in. Maybe she could try to serve from the bottom...

kundalini
Nov 8th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Easy really. She is supremely fit so tends to win close three set matches. Her return game is among the top few and she is reasonably consistent. Her serve prevents her from being a top 3 player but the women's tour isn't exactly full of great servers so top 10 can be achieved without even playing that well.

Pasta-Na
Nov 8th, 2006, 02:46 PM
because other players are mocking at her loads of DF and get distracted. :angel:

Louis Cyphre
Nov 8th, 2006, 02:48 PM
I've played tennis a bit, but it would seem real hard to consistently win the way she does. If she can't break you she's pretty much done which has been her recent results.

you play nothing!Thats why you dont understand simple things and make stupid threads

BUBI
Nov 8th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Elena is the best returner :banana:

égalité
Nov 8th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Have you seen her groundstrokes?

Besides, holding serve isn't as important in women's tennis as in men's tennis.

fufuqifuqishahah
Nov 8th, 2006, 02:51 PM

yea. you obviously havent seen her play when she's on. If you want to watch a particular match -- go to Dementieva v Capriati USOpen Semifinal 2004.

esquímaux
I guess she refuses to be a bottom....player ;)

dr03
My point is. Sure, she can be break peoples serves, but then she gets broken right back, and she has a higher chance of being broke by a top player then her breaking back against a top player. Looking at her remaining opponents in her group, Kuznetsova, and clijsters, I see her winning 1 set maybe vs. clijsters.

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 8th, 2006, 02:53 PM
My point is. Sure, she can be break peoples serves, but then she gets broken right back, and she has a higher chance of being broke by a top player then her breaking back against a top player. Looking at her remaining opponents in her group, Kuznetsova, and clijsters, I see her winning 1 set maybe vs. clijsters.

in matches when she breaks and gets broken and breaks and gets broken
she tends to win most of those matches (probably close to 80% or more)

Lena holding serve is just like anyone else breaking.

saki
Nov 8th, 2006, 02:53 PM
Her serve is not just slow like Hingis' - it's completely unpredictable. Justine gets really weirded out by it - can't read it well because it could be coming at any speed. It's actually not a bad tactic..

Viktymise
Nov 8th, 2006, 02:56 PM
Some ppl think she has no serve at all, yes she hiys tons of DF's but when she gets it in its actually tricky enough to handle with alot of slice and its not easy to hit for a huge winner, also shes the fittest player on tour arguably the fastest right now has some of the best groundies and is one of the best fighters its pretty obvious why she is

fufuqifuqishahah
Nov 8th, 2006, 02:56 PM

a lot of top players have said in the past that they have a hard time dealing with her serve SoMETIMES. It can be so unpredictable and right after she hits her serve anyways, she's always really attentive. Of course these things are only true when she's on.

jazzfuzion
Nov 8th, 2006, 02:59 PM
her serve is so bad its good.

dr03
Nov 8th, 2006, 03:01 PM
I just think she is not a top player based on her recent losses and lack of serve. A top player shouldn't lose vs. players like Radwanska, Srebotnik. vs. chakvetadze she even got bagled in the last set, even though Chakvetadze is pretty damn good that is unacceptable in my opinion.

Foot's Fingers
Nov 8th, 2006, 03:03 PM

it's easy
in Lena's match hold=break

Foot's Fingers
Nov 8th, 2006, 03:04 PM
I just think she is not a top player based on her recent losses and lack of serve. A top player shouldn't lose vs. players like Radwanska, Srebotnik. vs. chakvetadze she even got bagled in the last set, even though Chakvetadze is pretty damn good that is unacceptable in my opinion.

just check Amelie stat pls :devil: then you will see the answer

MisterMan
Nov 8th, 2006, 03:05 PM
Dementieva v Capriati USOpen Semifinal 2004

THIS is why she's a top player.
That, and beating Davy in that third set breaker.

jamatthews
Nov 8th, 2006, 03:05 PM
Radwanska, Srebotnik and Chakvetadze aren't bad losses. :rolleyes:

They certainly aren't any worse than Jackson and Shaughnessy.

Shonami Slam
Nov 8th, 2006, 03:07 PM

oh well - if you find that unacceptable than we'll ask of her to drop out of top10. just as long as you're happy hon.

oh, by the way - please don't ever post as long as you live :D

dr03
Nov 8th, 2006, 03:08 PM
Mauresmo has been off as well. I really think Sharapova hands down is the best on tour by a good margin. I have Pova coming out of the red and I pick Petrova to win the yellow as my sleeper pick because she has played very well recently. Sharapova and Henin-Hardenne are the top 2 though, then I see a considerable drop.

fufuqifuqishahah
Nov 8th, 2006, 03:08 PM
oh well - if you find that unacceptable than we'll ask of her to drop out of top10. just as long as you're happy hon.

oh, by the way - please don't ever post as long as you live :D

why not. he's not at troll. yet. lol

dr03
Nov 8th, 2006, 03:10 PM
If you look at the odds though, the betting odds on Dementieva, which I use to compare favorites in the sports I have extensive knowledge in, American football and basketball, Dementieva is a huge favorite and she is regularly upset by these players, where as the Colts hardly ever lose as a big favorite. These are matches she should win and simply doesn't.

Davenselesport
Nov 8th, 2006, 03:12 PM
She takes advantage of her draws, especially when she has a bye, and usually reaches the QFs/SFs. Every once in awhile she has a huge win, but has never performed well at the YEC.

IMPOSSIBLE
Nov 8th, 2006, 03:16 PM
Her Movement and grounstrokes

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Nov 8th, 2006, 03:20 PM
Because it is easy to add 1600-2000 points in a year for her.

Every year she will do it

dr03
Nov 8th, 2006, 03:21 PM
Her Movement and grounstrokes

Not a bad point, honestly didn't put that into the equation. I prefer Sharapova's overwhelming power to those other qualities though which is why I have her winning this competition pretty easily.

Shonami Slam
Nov 8th, 2006, 03:27 PM
Not a bad point, honestly didn't put that into the equation. I prefer Sharapova's overwhelming power to those other qualities though which is why I have her winning this competition pretty easily.

so NOW we know what this is all about.

Nicolás89
Nov 8th, 2006, 03:28 PM
i like elena she is one of the most complete players on tour:drool:
but i serve better than her:sad:

jochem
Nov 8th, 2006, 03:29 PM
Well basically Dementieva plays a lot of tournaments and despite the fact that she struggles so often she usually digs out tough matches and then she loses in the final stages of a tournament to another top player. She has qualified for the Championships since 2000 but always loses there... She goes relatively deep into GS before losing to a better player... I dont know she's just consistent. I would wonder why Myskina is still top 20 all year long or Groenefeld for me thats more strange than Dementieva staying top 10.

fufuqifuqishahah
Nov 8th, 2006, 03:33 PM
Well basically Dementieva plays a lot of tournaments and despite the fact that she struggles so often she usually digs out tough matches and then she loses in the final stages of a tournament to another top player. She has qualified for the Championships since 2000 but always loses there... She goes relatively deep into GS before losing to a better player... I dont know she's just consistent. I would wonder why Myskina is still top 20 all year long or Groenefeld for me thats more strange than Dementieva staying top 10.

yeaaaaa totally!

honestly though, i'm kind of scared for dementieva next year. i hope she never falls out of top 10....

Hagar
Nov 8th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Don't underestimate Elena D.
Yes, she has problems with her serve but she's got magnificent groundstrokes and is a superb athlete. On top of that, she seems to have a strong body coz she is rarely injured.
This is the 7th time in a row she qualified for the YEC.
I think most top players are damn happy she has such a bad serve, because she would be even more dangerous with a good one.

John.
Nov 8th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Cos she has more pluses in her game than minuses.

Although I think her serve is appaling, the rest of her game rocks, and she is by far one of the best movers out there.

However, I don't think she will ever slam unless she does something about that serve.(How many times has someone said that on this board).

It is always going to stop her achieving exceptional results, instead of above average that she achieves just now.

buckyohare
Nov 8th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Dementieva is one of those players that take full advantage of having a top10 status. What that means is that she'll get invited into those lucrative TierI events where all she has to do is beat a few joke players to get into quarters and semis to collect a shit amount of points, before being destroyed by the truly worldclass players.
Once in a while she'll have a good day, and she'll reach finals and even win some titles. So basically all she has to do is to keep playing and playing. And boy she does that well.

People always say. It's hard to reach the top but it is even harder to stay there. This couldn't be further from the truth in women tennis.

Dementinator
Nov 8th, 2006, 03:52 PM
its a valid question that even I ask at times ,particularly after a train wreck of a match like yesterday ,but overall ,she NORMALLY beats those way below her ,she also takes out a few top players too ,shes massively fast and strong ,hardly gets injuries and when she IS on ,she can be awesome.

Also ,yesterdays serving was simply atrocious ,believe it or not ,although she rarely serves great ,its not normally as bad as that ,usually a couple of aces and around 8DFs on average.

You need to check out some of her great matches ,such as how she embarassed Martina in Tokyo ,and took out Dav in that 3rd set TB in USO 05 with a screaming balls to the wall winner..

Elena on a bad day is pretty crap indeed ,but on her good days ,shes one of the very best there is ,just need more days like that..

dr03
Nov 8th, 2006, 03:59 PM
I thank everyone except one whom I will not mention for keeping an open mind to my reasoning on Dementieva's inability in my opinion to compete with the top and be a top player. I will not bet it, but I do think Kuznetsova will win 2-0.

LH2HBH
Nov 8th, 2006, 04:03 PM
She has a great return game, and one of the best ground games ever to take the court.

Her groundstrokes are incredible.

Her serve is ugly but she does win some point on it too. Sometimes it throws opponents off and other times it comes through pretty good.

Danči Dementia
Nov 8th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Some ppl think she has no serve at all, yes she hiys tons of DF's but when she gets it in its actually tricky enough to handle with alot of slice and its not easy to hit for a huge winner, also shes the fittest player on tour arguably the fastest right now has some of the best groundies and is one of the best fighters its pretty obvious why she is

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:
I think this answers your question.

dr03
Nov 8th, 2006, 04:10 PM
She is pretty damn hot, she has that going for her though. Too bad her outfits are so bad though.

fufuqifuqishahah
Nov 8th, 2006, 04:11 PM
She is pretty damn hot, she has that going for her though. Too bad her outfits are so bad though.

sometimes they are kind of heh. but i likea lot of them actually =)

----

at the moment... i think the only person comfortable enough playing dementieva is Sharapova. Everyone else probably doesnt like playing her cuz her game is so off center that she could totally creme you but at the same time she could totally collapse to u.

goldenlox
Nov 8th, 2006, 04:35 PM
Lena is very good at the baseline.
That keeps her solidly in the top 10.

Shonami Slam
Nov 8th, 2006, 04:37 PM
I thank everyone except one whom I will not mention for keeping an open mind to my reasoning on Dementieva's inability in my opinion to compete with the top and be a top player. I will not bet it, but I do think Kuznetsova will win 2-0.

no one said i'm nice hon, then again - no one said you're smart :banana:

now let me introduce myself officially:
why don't you take the time to see the complete top10 players in some of their career highlight victories, you know - the famous wins. there is something remarkable in any top10 player ever to play the game, and if you can't see why they got there - you have to:
1) check carefully why they still manage to win
2) block out the bias
3) find good basis as to why the rest of the field was so weak, but only they could manage. it's not as though Raymond was ever as good as Dementieva, but she still managed to peak in the right time and get in there, and even she has some amazing qualities to her.

now - that's me bieng nice and polite.
and now you be smart.

azmad_88
Nov 8th, 2006, 04:45 PM

not as much as petrova and schnder

miffedmax
Nov 8th, 2006, 04:46 PM
Lena's played in more than 20 finals (so much for getting lucky draws into quarters), including two grand slams. She won two titles this year, and was runner up at least a couple more times.

So the main reason she's in the Top 10 is that she wins a lot of matches. Her serve does leave her vulnerable to big upsets now and again, but overall she still wins a lot more than she loses.

Even with the weak serve, I think she would do better with a coach who could maximize what she does well. I don't think her Mom is that coach.

But there's no doubt she earned her high ranking.

frenchie
Nov 8th, 2006, 05:04 PM
She also needs to stop hitting only crosscourt FH and BH!!
hit DTL Lena...

timray
Nov 8th, 2006, 05:04 PM

The only reason that Dementieva a Top Player is:
Many young players (Vaidisova , Safina, Jankovic, chakvetadze, Ivanovic, Peer, Golovin) are not good enough yet

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Nov 8th, 2006, 05:48 PM
The only reason that Dementieva a Top Player is:
Many young players (Vaidisova , Safina, Jankovic, chakvetadze, Ivanovic, Peer, Golovin) are not good enough yet

Even with all of them , Lena adds 1800 points in a year easily .

dr03
Nov 8th, 2006, 06:00 PM
Well I called it earlier in the thread Kuznetsova 2-0. I will be very surprised if Dementieva wins a set. Watch a true tennis star Sharapova beat Clijsters 2-0 shortly.

dr03
Nov 8th, 2006, 07:59 PM
And I called Sharapova 2-0 win exactly as well. Sharapova will easily win this tournament I think. There s apretty big drop off after her.

jazar
Nov 8th, 2006, 08:01 PM

too true.
she is a top player because she is extremely solid from the back and is a great athlete, very quick around the court. she is obviously quite strong mentally to hit so many double faults each match and still come through

soccerjock
Nov 8th, 2006, 08:50 PM

You dont have to be new to the scene, she is ranked so highly because she wins matches, tournaments, and is a great player... with a dogdy serve BUT so what what player is good at every shot? loads of players have a dodgy shot, Elena's is just more obvious being the serve! But her results can not be laughed at, okay she hasnt played well at YEC since 2000, but that dont make her a bad player!

Sometimes she hits a fucking great serve and you think IF ONLY she could do that every time, or at least every other LOL

P_Fer
Nov 8th, 2006, 09:41 PM
its a valid question that even I ask at times ,particularly after a train wreck of a match like yesterday ,but overall ,she NORMALLY beats those way below her ,she also takes out a few top players too ,shes massively fast and strong ,hardly gets injuries and when she IS on ,she can be awesome.

Also ,yesterdays serving was simply atrocious ,believe it or not ,although she rarely serves great ,its not normally as bad as that ,usually a couple of aces and around 8DFs on average.

You need to check out some of her great matches ,such as how she embarassed Martina in Tokyo ,and took out Dav in that 3rd set TB in USO 05 with a screaming balls to the wall winner..

Elena on a bad day is pretty crap indeed ,but on her good days ,shes one of the very best there is ,just need more days like that..

Well said!:worship:

morningglory
Nov 8th, 2006, 09:44 PM
bcuz she's good enough... silly question :confused:

Ben.
Nov 8th, 2006, 09:45 PM
stupid question obviously. of course she's a top player for gods sake despite her poor serving.

goldenlox
Nov 9th, 2006, 12:33 AM
If she's at the YEC every year, obviously she's a top player.

Buitenzorg
Nov 9th, 2006, 12:39 AM

at WTA is not ONLY about how good you are playing tennis also you have to be good on strategysing your event which would bring you up to the ranking (possibly winning the title, reach the finals, SF, or QF)...there are so many aspect into it!

metamorpha
Nov 9th, 2006, 12:48 AM
yea. you obviously havent seen her play when she's on. If you want to watch a particular match -- go to Dementieva v Capriati USOpen Semifinal 2004.

If I remembered correctly it was... 6-0, 2-6, 7-6(4) ???

The last set was both entertaining and frustrating when each player constantly broke the other's serve :lol: Dementieva played superbly with those huge forehand and always nerve-cracking serve. :lol: Capriati should have won that match if only she could win those crucial points, though. At times, her face looked very frustrated when she sent the ball out on DEUCE-ADV-DEUCE-ADV situation. :lol:

go hingis
Nov 9th, 2006, 01:20 AM
Like most top players when she's on she's on fire and great to watch and can still dominate the top players without a huge serve. Keep watching, Elena's got game.

spencercarlos
Nov 9th, 2006, 01:40 AM
Mauresmo has been off as well. I really think Sharapova hands down is the best on tour by a good margin. I have Pova coming out of the red and I pick Petrova to win the yellow as my sleeper pick because she has played very well recently. Sharapova and Henin-Hardenne are the top 2 though, then I see a considerable drop.
Sharapova is the best player in the world right now, but 2006´s best player of the year is between Henin and Mauresmo hands down, especially Henin, and both are by a good margin ahead of Sharapova in the year´s acomplishments department.