PDA

View Full Version : Sharapova, Dementieva, Kuznetsova, Petrova for Fed Cup in April 07

bellascarlett
Nov 8th, 2006, 10:30 AM
Thanks Dan for the heads up! :D

Russia's Sharapova set to make Fed Cup debut in April
Tue Nov 7, 2006 3:55 PM GMT
Email This Article | Print This Article | RSS [-] Text [+]

MOSCOW, Nov 7 (Reuters) - Maria Sharapova will make her long-awaited Fed Cup debut for Russia against Spain in their World Group first-round tie in April, Russia's tennis chief said on Tuesday.

The U.S. Open champion will be joined by Nadia Petrova, Svetlana Kuznetsova and Elena Dementieva, forming a powerful Russian line-up for the two-day tie in Moscow on April 21-22.

"Yes, all four of our girls have agreed to play against Spain," president of the Russian tennis federation Shamil Tarpishchev, who is also their Fed Cup captain, told Reuters.

"Of course, anything can happen between now and next April but barring any injuries, they all will be in the team."

All four Russians are now in Madrid, taking part in the season-ending WTA Championships, which began on Tuesday.

World number two Sharapova is riding on a three-tournament winning streak after her triumphs at the U.S. Open, Linz and Zurich and has a good chance of clinching the number one spot.

There have always been doubts in the Russian media over whether Sharapova would ever play for her country, but the Florida-based teenager made herself available for Russia's Fed Cup team last month.

"I'm really excited to make my first appearance in the Fed Cup for my country and it is great to be playing the tie in Moscow," the 19-year-old said on her Web site.

"Hopefully, myself and the team will put up a strong showing against Spain, who have a good team."

Kuznetsova, Petrova and Dementieva are all in the world's top eight, occupying the fourth, fifth and eighth spots respectively.

Russia will try to regain the Fed Cup title they won in 2004 and 2005. This year they lost to Belgium in the quarter-finals.

:eek: :eek:

Tarpi is fielding the best Russian team he could come up with. :bigclap:

Hopefully, all four will be there healthy and fit in April.

Dan23
Nov 8th, 2006, 10:33 AM
haha that was quick Bella ;)

very strong team :cool:

Ben.
Nov 8th, 2006, 10:34 AM
read this article b4. anyway it's great that they're all playin together as a team (maria, sveta, lena & nadia - all in the top 10).

Oneofakind0490
Nov 8th, 2006, 10:34 AM
Very strong and will probably be a waste.

bellascarlett
Nov 8th, 2006, 10:36 AM
haha that was quick Bella

very strong team

Actually I just checked...seems goldenlox had already put up a similar thread, which we obviously completely missed. :lol:

Anyway, for those who didn't see that...

Andy.
Thats a really strong team, one that would be hard to beat in both singles and doubles.

frenchie
Nastya used to be the strongest link of the team......

Dan23
Nov 8th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Actually I just checked...seems goldenlox had already put up a similar thread, which we obviously completely missed. :lol:

Anyway, for those who didn't see that...
:o :bolt:

controlfreak
Nov 8th, 2006, 10:53 AM
Why pick a team for April in November? What if some of those players start sucking badly and Chaky/Zvonareva/Safina play even better in the next 5 months?

KimC&MariaSNo1's
Nov 8th, 2006, 11:08 AM
well it will be good to see

goldenlox
Nov 8th, 2006, 11:26 AM
Why pick a team for April in November? What if some of those players start sucking badly and Chaky/Zvonareva/Safina play even better in the next 5 months?That's a good question

http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=273196

Kunal
Nov 8th, 2006, 11:27 AM
thats a very strong team.....on paper they seem like winners already

:inlove:
Nov 8th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Very interesting team. :cool: On paper they look unbeatable, but we'll see. ;)
It's the Brits turn next year. :lol:

goldenlox
Nov 8th, 2006, 11:31 AM
Nastya used to be the strongest link of the team......
She won all 3 points in the 2004 final

Slumpsova
Nov 8th, 2006, 11:36 AM
i don't think all of them will make it finally. it will be held in April for god's sake. until then someone surely comes up with the excuse of not playing :rolleyes:

P_Fer
Nov 8th, 2006, 11:38 AM
That team is strong!

Foot's Fingers
Nov 8th, 2006, 01:06 PM
i don't think all of them will make it finally. it will be held in April for god's sake. until then someone surely comes up with the excuse of not playing :rolleyes:

no need all 4 to beat Spain

if we have 2 teams from one country then Russia 2 with Dinara, Anna Nastya, Vera, Masha K etc cld be Spain as well

Princeza
Nov 8th, 2006, 01:10 PM
it will be gd to see how maria will integrate the group

Corswandt
Nov 8th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Why pick a team for April in November? What if some of those players start sucking badly and Chaky/Zvonareva/Safina play even better in the next 5 months?

Good point.

But as we know the criteria used to pick the Russian Fed Cup squad almost never seem to include things as straightforward as "current form".

Corswandt
Nov 8th, 2006, 02:21 PM
She [Nastya] won all 3 points in the 2004 final

Ancient history.