PDA

View Full Version : Madrid so much better then Los Angeles!

tennismaster8820
Nov 7th, 2006, 07:59 PM
I'm very pleased that YEC is not more in Los Angeles, there we've had almost empty seats without atmosphere!
Now Sharapova and Dementieva are playing and you can feel good atmosphere and players are responding to it!:worship:

Wayn77
Nov 7th, 2006, 08:02 PM
Yes I agree. Can you imagine what it would be like if a couple of Spaniards were playing?

volta
Nov 7th, 2006, 08:06 PM
and the camera's angle is sooooo much better :hearts:

No.1Hingis
Nov 7th, 2006, 08:07 PM
Yes I agree. Can you imagine what it would be like if a couple of Spaniards were playing?

Very excited cause that people is so cheery..

tennismaster8820
Nov 7th, 2006, 08:08 PM

Yes! Thank God there is no Spanish players here!
This crowd understands tennis prety well!

Princeza
Nov 7th, 2006, 08:09 PM
is there any website to watch matches?

tennismaster8820
Nov 7th, 2006, 08:11 PM

Yes, that too! Only thing that is not good is the green color of tennis court, purple is OK! :shrug:

MrSerenaWilliams
Nov 7th, 2006, 08:35 PM
LA only cared about Serena and Venus...Spain is a much better environment

alwayshingis
Nov 7th, 2006, 08:50 PM
It's sad that people have this misperception of the LA YEC crowd. The fact that the Staples Center is too large for tennis made it seem like the crowd was minimal (it was not generally) and they were not that involved (they were, you just can't hear them in a stadium made for huge loud basketball crowds).

komorli
Nov 7th, 2006, 09:03 PM
the lighting is better too. at least the players don't look like they've just seen a ghost. :o

IMPOSSIBLE
Nov 7th, 2006, 09:05 PM
Plus Tv Has A Better View

Ben.
Nov 7th, 2006, 09:07 PM
yes, everything in madrid is better than in L.A.

tennismaster8820
Nov 7th, 2006, 09:13 PM
It's sad that people have this misperception of the LA YEC crowd. The fact that the Staples Center is too large for tennis made it seem like the crowd was minimal (it was not generally) and they were not that involved (they were, you just can't hear them in a stadium made for huge loud basketball crowds).

I don't think people have misperception of the LA YEC crowd! Staples Center is just not good for tennis! Even when it's filled with crowd!

itzhak
Nov 7th, 2006, 09:17 PM
what are you talking? the arena is half empty...

Kim's_fan_4ever
Nov 7th, 2006, 09:18 PM
I agree, it's so much better here in Madrid, the crowd is great and the atmosphere is OK too ;)

tennismaster8820
Nov 7th, 2006, 09:21 PM
what are you talking? the arena is half empty...

:confused:

Jakeev
Nov 7th, 2006, 10:52 PM
I'm definitely liking the atmosphere so far.

Wayn77
Nov 7th, 2006, 10:55 PM
Its gonna get even better.

Alvarillo
Nov 7th, 2006, 10:58 PM
it was difficukt for the organization because Spain hasn't tradition in women tennis in the last 5 years , people don't know the top players (only Sharapova is famous) but it seems that there were good atmosphere
sure it will increasein next days and ofr the weekend we will have a sold out (it seems)
and sure the next year, with more knowledge it will be better!
and tomorrow i will be thereee!

Paneru
Nov 7th, 2006, 11:00 PM

Logical thinking doesn't
run rampid 'round these parts.

Sorry. :cool:

Hagar
Nov 7th, 2006, 11:08 PM
Couldn't agree more. It's looks so much more cosy than in that megahall in LA.
I regret that I did not plan to go.

And for us in Europe, the hours are perfect: it all starts when you come back from work. :D
It should be the YEC every week! It's so exciting, no matches against qualifiers are unknowns but immediately the big guns facing each other.

Dexter
Nov 7th, 2006, 11:10 PM
No doubt about that Madrid is better :yeah:

yicheng23
Nov 7th, 2006, 11:40 PM
Everybody loves a good fight. People in Madrid cheered those who were down to pick their game up again! So it's good.

SUPER
Nov 8th, 2006, 01:35 AM
I have the week ticket and today, except from the momo match, the atmosphere has been incredible, specially with the 7-6 of martina, the crowd were really supporting her! And it surprised me how the crowd understand tennis, cause i thought it'd be packed with posh people that dont know what a racket is for, but instead, people were incredible, quality crowd, what a day and what a week that comes... C'mon Marti!!!!

VeeReeDavJCap81
Nov 8th, 2006, 02:31 AM
Hey, don't diss my hometown :fiery: No, it's true that LA doesn't really care about players other than Venus and Serena. That's why the YEC was DEAD last year.

fufuqifuqishahah
Nov 8th, 2006, 02:44 AM
it was difficukt for the organization because Spain hasn't tradition in women tennis in the last 5 years , people don't know the top players (only Sharapova is famous) but it seems that there were good atmosphere
sure it will increasein next days and ofr the weekend we will have a sold out (it seems)
and sure the next year, with more knowledge it will be better!
and tomorrow i will be thereee!

lol YAAAAAAAAAY

iWill
Nov 8th, 2006, 04:37 AM
well the only reason they werent selling out in LA is because all of the top americans havent all played in the championships since like 01 or 02 not that there may not have still been empty seats but americans want to watch other americans play plain and simple but i'm glad its in spain but i think they should move it to a different place every year it'd make it more exciting for fans everywhere

Polikarpov
Nov 8th, 2006, 06:33 AM
I like still like Madison Square Garden. I thought the setting was very intimate for the players and the audience.

Kunal
Nov 8th, 2006, 07:11 AM
well in that case its a good move

*Jean*
Nov 8th, 2006, 07:13 AM
Yeah very attractive YEC : good atmosphere, ambiance, good court (and of course a better angle than in LA :p )

jamesuk
Nov 8th, 2006, 11:58 AM
I was there and the crowd was very large for sharapova, and tried their best to get behind Dementieva

The, sadly, smaler crowd for Hingis and Justine were WAY more vocal though, the atmosphere for that match was brilliant, shame it wasnt broadcast earlier. In fact a lot of people actualle left from near where I was sitting just as Henin broke to lead 5 -2 in the second set......what drama they missed after!

In general I think it was a great crowd and I hope for more of the same this week.
Will the YEC return to spain next year?

Alvarillo
Nov 8th, 2006, 12:05 PM
I was there and the crowd was very large for sharapova, and tried their best to get behind Dementieva

The, sadly, smaler crowd for Hingis and Justine were WAY more vocal though, the atmosphere for that match was brilliant, shame it wasnt broadcast earlier. In fact a lot of people actualle left from near where I was sitting just as Henin broke to lead 5 -2 in the second set......what drama they missed after!

In general I think it was a great crowd and I hope for more of the same this week.

YESSSS ;)

Beat
Nov 8th, 2006, 12:06 PM

oh yeah, that was terrible in L.A., almost unwatchable. i also like the graphics in madrid, it all looks very modern.

bellascarlett
Nov 8th, 2006, 12:07 PM
I'm lovin' the atmosphere so far, considering it was the first day of the tournament and on a weekday.

Just felt bad for Justine. People were cheering when she was doublefaulting. The crowd is very much into it which is good but sometimes they forget to be sensitive to the players. Besides that, everything is going great. Hopefully it gets more filled up as the days go by. Nice to hear that the weekend is sold out.

Brαm
Nov 8th, 2006, 12:32 PM
Finally a good camera angle at the YEC :worship:

LA was horrible to watch :mad:

Lady
Nov 8th, 2006, 12:42 PM

Well, it was pretty late for Justine-Martina. And it's a work day, so I guess it's logical if some people wanted to get home earlier.

Corswandt
Nov 8th, 2006, 03:29 PM
I have the week ticket and today, except from the momo match, the atmosphere has been incredible, specially with the 7-6 of martina, the crowd were really supporting her!

Yes, I noticed that too. It wasn't just rooting for the underdog/player who was falling behind; Hingis has been a big crowd favourite ever since her comeback.

The crowd was also very much into the Maria vs Lena match (even though the tennis itself was terrible).

Moving the YEC to Madrid was just about the only good decision the WTA has made in recent years.

sweetpeas
Nov 8th, 2006, 03:42 PM
New york was the best place?Come back home...............

jamesuk
Nov 8th, 2006, 04:41 PM
YESSSS ;)

entonces....TOMA!!!!!

Regarding the cheering of double faults against Justine......I have to admit I got a bit caught up in that myself, and that is after I actually had the cheek to post on the MensTennis thing criticising the Spanish do that against Berdych as he was beatingNadal......

I can honestly say that any cheers or claps were done out of sheer relief that Martina had won the point, so desperate I was for MArtina to win, and how nervous I was at Justine´s high level of play

I guess actually being there live, when you really want a player to win, it is easy to get carried away...so I understand the Nadal thing more now!!

tennismaster8820
Nov 8th, 2006, 08:27 PM
Today again good atmosphere, only ballboys suck a little bit!:lol:
Btw. It's a great match, the highest quality! :yeah:

faboozadoo15
Nov 8th, 2006, 08:32 PM
:rolleyes: you guys are out of your mind.
it's in spain in a half empty small arena with "model" ballboys who are incompetent without much atmosphere....
it should have stayed in the states but in a better arena.

LIKE FUCKING MADISON SQUARE GARDEN!

tennismaster8820
Nov 8th, 2006, 08:36 PM
it's in spain in a half empty small arena with "model" ballboys who are incompetent without much atmosphere....

:confused: Are you watching this at all?

jazar
Nov 8th, 2006, 08:48 PM
good venue, great atmosphere, less empty seats. although they should change the court colour so people watching can actually see where maria sharapova is

Alvarillo
Nov 9th, 2006, 12:21 AM
just came back from the Madrid Arena an d :eek:
i've been waiting since 2001 to see this girls again!
the Kim-María match was :eek: :worship: and the atmosphere was great!

Aaron68
Nov 9th, 2006, 12:32 AM
The crowd was really, really into it during the Masha-Kim match, it seemed to me.

Obviously, they love Maria, and they love Martina. That seems obvious. The fans seem to really understand and appreciate tennis, too.

This seems like a great move. And hell, all the top players are European now anyways. Might as well have the YEC in Europe.

goldenlox
Nov 9th, 2006, 12:51 AM
In the US, it's like this tournament doesn't exist.
This is supposed to be the closet thing to a major.
BY FAR, the biggest women's only event. Totally ignored and under the radar in the US.

I think this has been a bad tournament for the sport of women's tennis.

dreamgoddess099
Nov 9th, 2006, 01:24 AM
New york was the best place?Come back home...............

Yes, NY was untouchable. Madrid is better than LA atmosphere wise, but LA still had bigger audiences (well atleast in it did in 2004). LA was just a much bigger arena and harder to fill those 20 something thousand seats.

goldenlox
Nov 9th, 2006, 01:36 AM
The problem with LA is that the evening matches were played at 4 AM in Europe.
And the afternoon matches in LA drew very small crowds.

But Madrid and Versus is not any better.

For what is supposed to be a major event, this is a mess.
Especially in the US, where tennis is almost off the map this week.

goldenlox
Nov 9th, 2006, 09:50 AM
I still can't believe they put this event on Versus, which no one watches.
I read that Austin and Ryan are in NY, and comment on what they see on their tv monitor.

http://www.********************/hit_list_110706.html

And the journalists? The only non-Euro whom we know who is there is Doug Robson (an American who's writing for us). The Versus Channel is so excited about the event that they have Tracy Austin and Tim Ryan broadcasting from NY, where they (and Pete Bodo) can still smell the hot dogs wafting from the championships over-rated former home, the ancient MSG.

Polikarpov
Nov 9th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Sorry for being an idiot, but why did the WTA relocated the YEC from NY to Germany then to LA in the first place? :confused:

I like NY the best!

But Madrid is definitely way better than LA.

Shvedbarilescu
Nov 9th, 2006, 11:58 AM
The crowd was really, really into it during the Masha-Kim match, it seemed to me.

Obviously, they love Maria, and they love Martina. That seems obvious. The fans seem to really understand and appreciate tennis, too.

This seems like a great move. And hell, all the top players are European now anyways. Might as well have the YEC in Europe.

Good post. Even better than this comes from an American. :yeah:

die_wahrheit
Nov 9th, 2006, 12:40 PM
Sorry for being an idiot, but why did the WTA relocated the YEC from NY to Germany then to LA in the first place? :confused:

I like NY the best!

But Madrid is definitely way better than LA.

WTA's YEC in New York was dead.
No spectators, limited media interested.

They 'd to change something and went to Germany.

Germany made a big thing of the ATP YEC in the early 90ies.
Large prize money, sell-out-crowds, great atmosphere...
WTA wanted something similar.
But tennis boom in Germany was already over in late 90ies.

tennismaster8820
Nov 9th, 2006, 03:54 PM
WTA's YEC in New York was dead.
No spectators, limited media interested.

They 'd to change something and went to Germany.

Germany made a big thing of the ATP YEC in the early 90ies.
Large prize money, sell-out-crowds, great atmosphere...
WTA wanted something similar.
But tennis boom in Germany was already over in late 90ies.

Was it realy dead in New York, I don't remember it like that!:confused:
But this is definatly great move, bringing YEC to Madrid, next year can only be better! Also it would be good if they change location every year!

xan
Nov 9th, 2006, 04:03 PM
Madrid has been a real winner so far.

Great crowds, great atmosphere, after the "dead" atmosphere of Germany and Los Angeles, where no one took any interest. the fact that Spain was the only major European Country without a big womens tournament has made it the ideal location.

As for US interest, the problem is 1,) No Americans. and 2.) Evening matches in Europe mean 1am to 6am broadcast times in the US -not the best. However I doubt the Europeans will change to afternoon matches unless there is a big broadcasting contract from the US to make it worth while.

bellascarlett
Nov 9th, 2006, 04:08 PM

faboo, are you even watching? I saw a pretty full arena (I wouldn't call it small at all) with a great atmosphere especially for the second and third matches when people have already settled.

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 9th, 2006, 05:03 PM
And the journalists? The only non-Euro whom we know who is there is Doug Robson (an American who's writing for us). The Versus Channel is so excited about the event that they have Tracy Austin and Tim Ryan broadcasting from NY, where they (and Pete Bodo) can still smell the hot dogs wafting from the championships over-rated former home, the ancient MSG.

nothings changed there then
when Pete Sampras got his 6th successive year end #1 in 1999 there wasnt a single US journo there.

goldenlox
Nov 9th, 2006, 05:14 PM
That was Cronin I quoted.
It's on in the afternoon in the US, not overnite.
But getting no attention.

the cat
Nov 9th, 2006, 05:35 PM
For American tennis fans Madrid is not better than Los Angeles. And the YEC will never be as good as it was in New York City when it was played at Madison Square Garden. The tournament had a buzz to it then. But now only real tennis fans in America even know the YEC in Madrid is being played this week.

Pertinent points made by GL. She owns this thread. :)

cheo23
Nov 9th, 2006, 05:38 PM
Yes, NY was untouchable. Madrid is better than LA atmosphere wise, but LA still had bigger audiences (well atleast in it did in 2004). LA was just a much bigger arena and harder to fill those 20 something thousand seats.

:confused: I don't remember seeing "bigger audiences" in 2004....do u know the exact amount of attendance????

cheo23
Nov 9th, 2006, 05:41 PM
LA only cared about Serena and Venus...Spain is a much better environment

I don't think LA "CARED" about anyone....even when SERENA & VENUS played...the attendance was LOW!!!!!!!

thank GOD IT MOVED TO SPAIN!!!!!!!!:bounce: :worship: :yeah: :bigclap:

!<blocparty>!
Nov 9th, 2006, 05:54 PM
LA fucking sucked, even with the Williams sisters. They couldn't have picked a crapper venue. It's obvious Madrid is sooooooooooooo much better. There's like, a crowd.

tennismaster8820
Nov 10th, 2006, 03:45 PM
LA fucking sucked, even with the Williams sisters. They couldn't have picked a crapper venue. It's obvious Madrid is sooooooooooooo much better. There's like, a crowd.

LA just isn't/wasn't good for tennis, period!

LoveFifteen
Nov 10th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Madrid has been a real winner so far.

Great crowds, great atmosphere, after the "dead" atmosphere of Germany and Los Angeles, where no one took any interest. the fact that Spain was the only major European Country without a big womens tournament has made it the ideal location.

As for US interest, the problem is 1,) No Americans. and 2.) Evening matches in Europe mean 1am to 6am broadcast times in the US -not the best. However I doubt the Europeans will change to afternoon matches unless there is a big broadcasting contract from the US to make it worth while.

The second match in Madrid starts at 8:00 PM. That's 2:00 PM here on the east coast and 11:00 AM in California.

!<blocparty>!
Nov 10th, 2006, 05:05 PM
LA just isn't/wasn't good for tennis, period!

Maybe... but a smaller venue could have worked in LA. The Staples Center was just this massive space like 20% full with 0 atmosphere. Look at the Masters Cup a couple of years back... was it in Japan? The arena was really small but PACKED for every match with an amazing atmosphere.

But yeah, European time is much better for most places, and there's already too many tournies in Cali.