PDA

View Full Version : "The World Wide Leader in Sports"

Zippy
Nov 7th, 2006, 09:26 AM
I'm pretty disappointed with ESPN. I'm just a casual WTA fan (I enjoy the ATP a little more), but I would like to watch or at least have the option to watch some women's tennis. ESPN claims to be "the World Wide leader in sports", so why won't they at least occasionally show some REAL "World Wide" sports? Women's tennis is I believe the most interested, sponsored, supported, and watched sport that involves females, world wide. So what's up ESPN? As I channel surf through the sports channels, I see that ESPN shows big sports like POKER all the f#@king time, darts, 9-ball, bowling, Bass fishing, f#@king fishing for god's-sake. I've even caught them airing Spades, yes the freaking card game, and oh let me not forget the time about a year or so ago they aired some Chess match featuring Kasparov(sp?) versus a COMPUTER! No, not another freaking Grand Master (highest title/level you can reach in Chess), a freaking computer! I see all this, but catching some clips of tennis, even just a few freaking highlights on the network is like pulling teeth. I'm sorry, but I don't appreciate that I must upgrade my cable (and that's assuming that I even live in an area where these channels are available), to get the Tennis Channel and Versus just to get to watch some WTA outside of the Slams and the Tier 1 tournaments played on American soil. Hell, even Roland Garros as of now won't be aired on normal cable (i.e. ESPN); it's been sold to the Tennis Channel I believe. All this is freaking ridiculous.

Zippy
Nov 7th, 2006, 06:43 PM
Well those who support my view and/or those who disagree, say something. I can't believe this post hasn't gotten more views. Maybe my title isn't catchy enough. :shrug:

BarsonlyOne
Nov 7th, 2006, 06:47 PM
i agree with you completely! of course its all about making the money. they should atleast show semis or finals. are you sure u dont have versus. i went to the website for DTV and i checked there it was all the way down the line, but it was there.

Kipling
Nov 7th, 2006, 06:49 PM
I'm pretty disappointed with ESPN. I'm just a casual WTA fan (I enjoy the ATP a little more), but I would like to watch or at least have the option to watch some women's tennis. ESPN claims to be "the World Wide leader in sports", so why won't they at least occasionally show so REAL "World Wide" sports? Women's tennis is I believe the most interested, sponsored, supported, and watched sport that involves females, world wide. So what's up ESPN? As I channel surf through the sports channels I see that ESPN shows big sports like POKER all the f#@king time, darts, 9-ball, bowling, Bass fishing, f#@king fishing for god's-sake. I've even caught them airing Spades, yes the freaking card game, and oh let me not forget the time about a year or so ago they aired some Chess match featuring Kasparov(sp?) versus a COMPUTER! No, not another freaking Grand Master (highest title/level you can reach in Chess), a freaking computer! I see all this, but catching some clips of tennis, even just some freaking highlights on the network is like pulling teeth. I'm sorry, but I don't appreciate that I must upgrade my cable (and that's assuming that I even live in an area where these channels are available), to get the Tennis Channel and Versus just to get to watch some WTA outside of the Slams and the Tier 1 tournaments played on American soil. Hell, even Roland Garros as of now won't be aired on normal cable (i.e. ESPN); it's been sold to the Tennis Channel I believe. All this is freaking ridiculous.

You forgot their number one rated show--the world hot dog eating contest and the great Kobayashi...