PDA

View Full Version : Why would ESPN give the rights to RG to TTC?

Derek.
Nov 6th, 2006, 11:11 PM
I mean TTC isn't even available everywhere.

So basically only 50% or so of tennis fans will be able to watch Roland Garros. :(

I don't get Versus either. :rolleyes:

No YEC or RG for me. :sad:

UDACHi
Nov 6th, 2006, 11:40 PM
they didn't give the rights away, they sold them. ;)

espn obviously doesn't give a flying fuck about tennis.

VeeReeDavJCap81
Nov 6th, 2006, 11:45 PM
Yeah, expect less and less tennis on ESPN in the coming years. It sucks for people who don't have VS. or TTC

henree
Nov 6th, 2006, 11:46 PM
I just found out about the Yec not being shown. It sucks terribly. The ratings will sink to an all time low for the Yec championships. Lets hope fans who get to see the matches upload them. Anyone know if Nbc will still be showing the Qtrs and Final on the weekends?

cometz9
Nov 6th, 2006, 11:48 PM
I just found out about the Yec not being shown. It sucks terribly. The ratings will sink to an all time low for the Yec championships. Lets hope fans who get to see the matches upload them. Anyone know if Nbc will still be showing the Qtrs and Final on the weekends?

I don't think NBC has sold the rights to TTC as well

darrinbaker00
Nov 7th, 2006, 12:24 AM

espn obviously doesn't give a flying fuck about tennis.
Actually, ESPN didn't want to renew their deal with the Federation Francaise de Tenis, so TTC stepped in. If ESPN was making money with their Roland Garros coverage, they would have kept it; it is a business, after all.

perseus2006
Nov 7th, 2006, 12:45 AM
RG is in the time period for reruns of the "World Series of Poker".

ESPN exec's couldn't stand the thought of another one of Mary Carillo's maudlin ode to tennis on dirt.

A maneuver by ESPN to reduce what they have to pay for the AO and Wimbledon.

Derek.
Nov 7th, 2006, 12:46 AM

I know. :rolleyes:

Derek.
Nov 7th, 2006, 12:50 AM
TTC better make themselves more available by Roland Garros. :armed:

Nicolás89
Nov 7th, 2006, 12:52 AM
so no more RG for me.:sad:
almost 90% of the tennis that i watch is on youtube anyway:sad: :rolleyes:
no wta tour for me and only challengers and small atp tournaments and grand slams,:o :help:

darrinbaker00
Nov 7th, 2006, 12:54 AM
TTC better make themselves more available by Roland Garros. :armed:
They signed a deal with Comcast in 2005, but Comcast hasn't made it available in all markets yet. For instance, the San Jose/San Francisco/Oakland Bay Area is the fifth-largest media market in the country, and we don't have TTC yet. How stupid is that? :fiery:

goldenlox
Nov 7th, 2006, 12:57 AM
This isn't just tennis.
A big horse racing event (Breeders Cup) went from NBC to ESPN, and lost half its audience from last year.

This is happening more and more.
But it means the sport involved is becoming smaller and smaller.

Derek.
Nov 7th, 2006, 01:00 AM
If Serena and Venus were playing more and winning more, I doubt this would have happened.

darrinbaker00
Nov 7th, 2006, 01:04 AM
so no more RG for me.:sad:
almost 90% of the tennis that i watch is on youtube anyway:sad: :rolleyes:
no wta tour for me and only challengers and small atp tournaments and grand slams,:o :help:
Now that YouTube is officially part of Corporate America, you can forget about that pretty soon. They've already started deleting copyrighted material.

*roddicksinme*
Nov 7th, 2006, 01:08 AM
i hate them....luckily i do have versus though

Brooklyn90
Nov 7th, 2006, 01:13 AM
espn2 would rather show fly fishing and wnba rather than tennis :rolleyes:

slk45
Nov 7th, 2006, 02:20 AM
So basically only 50% or so of tennis fans will be able to watch Roland Garros. :(

Actually, ESPN didn't want to renew their deal with the Federation Francaise de Tenis, so TTC stepped in. If ESPN was making money with their Roland Garros coverage, they would have kept it; it is a business, after all.So you're telling me that ESPN is making money on the International Domino and Dart championships? Or as pacomexican suggested, "fly fishing and wnba"? And of course, the reruns of World Poker Championships!?

This isn't just tennis. This is happening more and more.
But it means the sport involved is becoming smaller and smaller.GL has something here. The geniuses of the WTA apparently want to reduce the size of the fan base to the point where the WTA can be merged into the ATP with little or no fanfare or complaint.
(in order to promote the sport, of course!!) :bs: :smash:

goldenlox
Nov 7th, 2006, 02:28 AM
In the US, golf is on network tv almost every weekend, sometimes on 2 networks.
The US Open final was the last tennis match on a US network until the Miami final.
That's early September until the next April.

anlavalle
Nov 7th, 2006, 03:13 AM
because the americans (men) sucks in clay and no chance of anyone to past the qf

darrinbaker00
Nov 7th, 2006, 03:29 AM
So you're telling me that ESPN is making money on the International Domino and Dart championships? Or as pacomexican suggested, "fly fishing and wnba"? And of course, the reruns of World Poker Championships!?
Yes, that's exactly what I'm telling you. Because darts, fly fishing and poker cost next to nothing to produce, ESPN doesn't have to sell a whole lot of advertising to turn a profit with those events. As far as the WNBA goes, I'm 99.9 percent certain that David Stern made that a condition of their deal; if ESPN wants to show Shaq, Kobe and LeBron during the winter, they'll have to show Lisa Leslie, Sheryl Swoopes and Diana Taurasi during the summer. Tennis, being an international event, costs a lot of money to produce, and ESPN obviously isn't making enough advertising revenue to justify the cost. If ESPN was making money off Roland Garros, they would have kept it. Period.

-jenks-
Nov 7th, 2006, 03:30 AM
I dont have TTC! :bigcry:

darrinbaker00
Nov 7th, 2006, 03:41 AM
I dont have TTC! :bigcry:
You have four choices, my friend:

1. Subscribe to Dish Network (Channel 400).
2. Pray that your cable provider picks up TTC between now and Roland Garros.
3. Move to a city that does carry TTC.
4. Buy TTC from its current owners.

perseus2006
Nov 7th, 2006, 04:32 AM
One thing is very clear, darrinbaker is an ESPN troll!!!

They didn't do the YEC because the McEnroe brothers and Mary Carillo didn't want to do an all women's event. It's really that simple.

Remember JMac saying one night during the USO that it's a shame there's a women's match being played when there is a men's match waiting for it to finish? I think it was Pova's QF match!

I, for one, won't even turn on the men's Cup. Federer will sweep anyway, in some typical boring fashion. Oh, yeah, there are bound to be some long tedious matches of no consequence, too. Everyone will get real excited when Fed loses a set - headline news! This gives the McEnroes more time to talk about Davis Cup and generally piss on the sport of tennis and the players, especially the women. Then they will bring in Mary Carillo and as a team to really zing whoever they feel they can do it to.

darrinbaker00
Nov 7th, 2006, 04:38 AM
One thing is very clear, darrinbaker is an ESPN troll!!!

They didn't do the YEC because the McEnroe brothers and Mary Carillo didn't want to do an all women's event. It's really that simple.

Remember JMac saying one night during the USO that it's a shame there's a women's match being played when there is a men's match waiting for it to finish? I think it was Pova's QF match!

I, for one, won't even turn on the men's Cup. Federer will sweep anyway, in some typical boring fashion. Oh, yeah, there are bound to be some long tedious matches of no consequence, too. Everyone will get real excited when Fed loses a set - headline news! This gives the McEnroes more time to talk about Davis Cup and generally piss on the sport of tennis and the players, especially the women. Then they will bring in Mary Carillo and as a team to really zing whoever they feel they can do it to.
OK..... :cuckoo:

fufuqifuqishahah
Nov 7th, 2006, 06:47 AM
all i have to say is...

THANK GOODNESS FOR YOUTUBE!!!!

Kunal
Nov 7th, 2006, 07:27 AM
out of all the GS's the FO probably had the lowest ratings for the US population...and thats perhaps why it was given off