PDA

View Full Version : Serena in Ghana *pics inside*

dreamgoddess099
Nov 6th, 2006, 03:42 AM
US Tennis Star Assists Ghana Vaccination Campaign
By Efam Dovi
Accra
06 November 2006

U.S. tennis star Serena Williams is visiting Ghana, where she joined volunteers and health workers giving children vaccines against measles and other diseases. Efam Dovi filed this VOA report from the Ghanaian capital, Accra.

Ghanaian health worker showing vaccines to Serena Williams and her mother
Hundreds of mothers with babies, and curious children and adults, turned out at this vaccination center, one of 95,000 across the country. Serena Williams winced, as she watched as health workers administered vaccines to children five years and younger. "I hate shots," said Williams.

UNICEF Ghana's chief of health and nutrition, Mark Young, explained the process of administering polio vaccine. "Polio is just given in drops, two drops, is not by injection, an oral polio [vaccine]," he explained.

The two time Wimbledon champion was offered a bowl of water to wash her hands, after which she administered oral polio vaccine to babies.

Serena Williams with children from the community in Accra, Ghana
Serena Williams said it is humbling to see all the children coming to be vaccinated. "I just feel that I have been blessed so much to have my parents, and I have just been blessed immensely, and as long as I can help others, to give back, I think that matters most," said Williams.

Six million children have been targeted to receive oral doses of polio vaccine, and five million of them are being vaccinated against measles. Vitamin-A is also administered to the children, and those under two get free insecticide-treated mosquito bed netting. Malaria is blamed for one-quarter of all deaths of children under five every year in Ghana.

Serena Williams with Ghanaian children at the immunization event
Serena Williams says she felt privileged to be part of the integrated child health program sponsored in part by UNICEF. "I have always dreamed of coming ... into a village like this, and just interacting with everyone," she said, "and you guys have made my dream come true, and I just want to make sure that everyone is educated about these vaccines that are so important, and it is awesome that everyone is here."

Serena Williams is not well known in this community, but Nafesa Ibrahim, who brought her sister for vaccination, knows all about the tennis star and her sister, Venus, who is also a tennis champion.

"I know her. I see her on TV most of the time," said Ibrahim. "I have been watching most of her matches, too, I know her sister. We are very grateful for her to be here to do what she is doing."

No child has died of measles in Ghana since 2002, and reported cases of the disease have dropped from 12,000 that year to fewer than 500.

The West African nation has not recorded any cases of polio since an outbreak in 2003. The Ghanaian health authorities attribute the development to mass immunization campaigns during the past three years.

http://www.voanews.com/english/images/voa_ghana_Serena_mother_williams_unicef_vaccines_2 10.jpg

http://www.voanews.com/english/images/voa_ghana_Serena_williams_kids2_210.jpg

http://www.voanews.com/english/images/voa_ghana_Serena_williams_kids1_210.jpg

http://www.voanews.com/english/2006-11-06-voa2.cfm

Rocketta
Nov 6th, 2006, 04:01 AM
Go Serena! :clap2:

did Venus not go? :confused:

and does anybody have bigger pics. :D

serenafan08
Nov 6th, 2006, 04:38 AM
:bigclap: Go Serena! That's so good to see her doing charity work in Africa - I've heard some great stories from people who have been there - I'm sure Serena will come back with a few of her own! :yeah:

StarDuvallGrant
Nov 6th, 2006, 04:43 AM
Very cool :)

Xanadu11
Nov 6th, 2006, 05:01 AM
That's really great. It's really great to see people giving back to the world:worship:

vettipooh
Nov 6th, 2006, 05:20 AM
Wtg, Serena. Great act of humanity. :yeah: :bigclap: :hearts:

Wannabeknowitall
Nov 6th, 2006, 06:09 AM
This is a great interactive start for Serena.
It's just amazing to see her out there doing her part to save lives.

Kunal
Nov 6th, 2006, 06:26 AM
now focus on tennis

olivia100
Nov 6th, 2006, 11:40 AM
I would more enjoy her focusing on helping dying children in 3rd world countries than hitting a ball over a net. Great job Ree.

auntie janie
Nov 6th, 2006, 12:20 PM
I would more enjoy her focusing on helping dying children in 3rd world countries than hitting a ball over a net. Great job Ree.

Absolutely. This is fantastic to see; she can really do some good. :worship:

olivia100
Nov 6th, 2006, 12:35 PM
You know tennis is not what it's all about. God gave Serena a tennis talent and she has used it wisely. Thus, her talent has propelled her into other things like what she's doing right now. If she did not use her tennis talent wisely, I can guranteed you she would not be Ghana today doing what she's doing.

alfajeffster
Nov 6th, 2006, 12:51 PM
"You must spread some reputation around before giving it to dreamgoddess099 again."

Thanks for the article and pics.

MistyGrey
Nov 6th, 2006, 01:14 PM
:bigclap: Serena!

MrSerenaWilliams
Nov 6th, 2006, 01:25 PM
It's so great to see her focusing on making the world a better place....from the decadent parties in Cannes in 2004, to giving polio vaccines 2006. :worship: :sad: GREAT JOB REE!

and....may I say, she's looking RATHER fit in that blue number ;) :yeah:

King Aaron
Nov 6th, 2006, 03:02 PM
:yeah:

Allez-H
Nov 6th, 2006, 04:09 PM
That's really cool of her, I hope she'll keep doing these kind of 'trips' in the future (with Vee). Africa is the most beautiful continent in the world and at the same time the most troubled one.

Cat's Pajamas
Nov 6th, 2006, 04:10 PM
http://www.voanews.com/english/images/voa_ghana_Serena_williams_kids2_210.jpg

:rolls: at that girl in the bottom left corner, she's got an attitude ;)

Serena :yeah: :worship:

darrinbaker00
Nov 6th, 2006, 04:37 PM
I wonder if UNICEF let Nurse Oracene administer any injections..... ;)

RenaSlam.
Nov 6th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Serena :worship:

Simply the best :)

darrinbaker00
Nov 6th, 2006, 04:41 PM
Wtg, Serena. Great act of humanity. :yeah: :bigclap: :hearts:
What you meant to say was, "Way to go, Serena and Nurse Oracene." At least, I hope that's what you meant to say. ;)

darrinbaker00
Nov 6th, 2006, 04:44 PM

Simply the best :)
Will someone else PLEASE give Oracene some props? ;)

Kworb
Nov 6th, 2006, 04:46 PM
I don't like it when celebrities do this. Just support it financially if you care, no need to make it a media spectacle.

darrinbaker00
Nov 6th, 2006, 04:57 PM
I don't like it when celebrities do this. Just support it financially if you care, no need to make it a media spectacle.
I still would rather see my fellow Americans taking care of home first, but if you're going to do it, DO IT. Serena and Oracene aren't just putting their money where their mouths are, they're putting elbow grease into it. Good for them.

MrSerenaWilliams
Nov 6th, 2006, 06:21 PM
:worship: exactly...they're not just talking, they putting action behind it! Great job!

Qrystyna
Nov 6th, 2006, 06:35 PM
Thanks for sharing those pictures and story, very lovely :D

RenaSlam.
Nov 6th, 2006, 06:43 PM
:worship: again and again.

sweetpeas
Nov 6th, 2006, 06:43 PM
tHANK"S ms.serena williams,thanks mommy duk"s to.:kiss: :bounce: :) :worship:

Denise4925
Nov 6th, 2006, 07:01 PM
:worship: Serena and Oracene :worship: Simply the best.

darrinbaker00
Nov 6th, 2006, 07:04 PM
:worship: Serena and Oracene :worship: Simply the best.
At last, someone else who acknowledges Nurse Oracene's presence! Thanks, De. :kiss:

dreamgoddess099
Nov 6th, 2006, 07:14 PM
http://www.serenawilliamsblog.com/serenaalbum/albums/userpics/10001/normal_DSCN0058.JPG
http://www.serenawilliamsblog.com/serenaalbum/albums/userpics/10001/normal_DSCN0060.JPG
Serena and her Sister Lyn on the plane.

Denise4925
Nov 6th, 2006, 07:23 PM
http://www.serenawilliamsblog.com/serenaalbum/albums/userpics/10001/normal_DSCN0058.JPG
http://www.serenawilliamsblog.com/serenaalbum/albums/userpics/10001/normal_DSCN0060.JPG
Serena and her Sister Lyn on the plane.

When Vee sees this pic, she's going to know what happened to the sunglasses she's been looking for since Serena left. :lol:

darrinbaker00
Nov 6th, 2006, 07:27 PM
I hope Lyndrea doesn't sing to those kids. They've already suffered more than enough. :tape:

Denise4925
Nov 6th, 2006, 07:29 PM
I hope Lyndrea doesn't sing to those kids. They've already suffered more than enough. :tape:

:lol:

~Cherry*Blossom~
Nov 6th, 2006, 07:46 PM
Serena :hearts:

Rocketta
Nov 6th, 2006, 07:53 PM
Gosh, I hate those sunglasses. I pray for the day they are nolonger in fashion. :help: :angel:

olivia100
Nov 6th, 2006, 07:58 PM

Now that was hilarious.

Dementieva_Dude
Nov 6th, 2006, 08:17 PM
I think Serena looks great in those pics. She looks happy. It's nice to see celebrities DOING something instead of just talking about it

Gosh, I hate those sunglasses. I pray for the day they are nolonger in fashion. :help: :angel:

Amen! I usually hate them, but Serena and her sister seem to pull off the look

darrinbaker00
Nov 6th, 2006, 08:22 PM
I think Serena looks great in those pics. She looks happy. It's nice to see celebrities DOING something instead of just talking about it

Amen! I usually hate them, but Serena and her sister seem to pull off the look
GREEN LIGHT!! :bounce:

dreamgoddess099
Nov 6th, 2006, 08:51 PM
When Vee sees this pic, she's going to know what happened to the sunglasses she's been looking for since Serena left. :lol:

I'm sure Venus is used to Serena taking her stuff, she already said anytime she can't find something of her's she can always find it in Serena's closet.:lol:

Stamp Paid
Nov 6th, 2006, 08:54 PM
Beautiful!

PatrickRyan
Nov 6th, 2006, 09:02 PM
thanks, great pics!

volta
Nov 6th, 2006, 09:12 PM
Rena :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

volta
Nov 6th, 2006, 09:12 PM
I'm sure Venus is used to Serena taking her stuff, she already said anytime she can't find something of her's she can always find it in Serena's closet.:lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

dreamgoddess099
Nov 7th, 2006, 01:14 AM
Tennis ace Serena Williams supports Ghana’s biggest health campaign
UNICEF Image: Serena Williams in Ghana
© UNICEF Ghana/2006/Hickling
http://www.unicef.org/infobycountry/images/ibc_ghana_0768.jpg
Tennis star Serena Williams claps with the crowd of women and children who welcomed her to Nungua-Zongo, northern Ghana.

By Allison Hickling

NUNGUA-ZONGO, Ghana, 6 November 2006 – For families across Ghana, yesterday was the day to get their young children immunized against deadly childhood diseases, boost their immunity against illness and receive free mosquito nets to help prevent malaria. It was the conclusion of the country’s week-long national integrated child health campaign, the largest such effort in Ghana to date.

For US tennis star Serena Williams, it was an opportunity to witness the realities facing parents who struggle to help their children survive the first years of life. Two days after arriving in Ghana, on her first visit to Africa, Ms. Williams rolled up her sleeves and joined a team of volunteer health workers serving the small, deprived community of Nungua-Zongo in Greater Accra.

“I have always dreamed of coming into a village like this,” she told the villagers. “You have made my dream come true. I am honoured to be here.”

A hands-on visit

A group of women, sitting with their babies and young children, packed into a shady area in Nungua-Zongo waiting to see the health team. After a briefing from UNICEF Ghana’s Chief of Health and Nutrition, Ms. Williams quickly started her rounds, putting tiny drops of immunity-boosting vitamin A into children’s mouths.

http://www.unicef.org/infobycountry/images/ibc_ghana_0112.jpg
UNICEF Image: Serena Williams in Ghana
© UNICEF Ghana/2006/Hickling
Serena Williams with children from the Nungua-Zongo community who turned out to receive immunization against childhood diseases.

Nungua-Zongo was one of 9,500 immunization points set up nationwide to vaccinate almost 6 million children against measles and polio, provide 5.4 million children with vitamin A supplements and hand out 2.1 million free insecticide-treated bed nets to children under the age of two.

In addition to these services, 500,000 children in the three northern regions of Ghana were de-wormed.

Spirit and warmth

“You guys are great for coming out and making sure everyone has their vaccinations,” Ms. Williams told the mothers. “I’m definitely going to go back to the United States and talk to everyone about this experience. That way people can be more aware of diseases like malaria, and getting the polio vaccine and all these vaccinations that are so necessary and so vital for children’s health.”

Ms. Williams joined local authorities in a demonstration of how to use the bed nets, but not before she sat and talked with the children who had been patiently waiting all morning to receive care and get a glimpse of the world-famous sports star. A few mothers spontaneously began to clap. Soon the entire crowd swayed and clapped in unison, in a display of Ghanaian spirit and warmth.

The five-day campaign was one of Ghana’s many efforts to reduce its high rates of child mortality, which are particularly acute in the country’s northern regions – the same area where Ms. Williams served up an ace on behalf of vulnerable children.[/img]

vettipooh
Nov 7th, 2006, 01:28 AM
:hearts: :hearts::yeah: :banana: :bounce:

olivia100
Nov 7th, 2006, 01:32 AM
This is so great what Serena is doing. I am so proud of her.

Stamp Paid
Nov 7th, 2006, 02:03 AM
Venus should come so they can have a Color Purple moment.

"NEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTTIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!! !!!!!!!"
"CEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! !!!!!!!!!"

darrinbaker00
Nov 7th, 2006, 02:32 AM
This is so great what Serena is doing. I am so proud of her.
That's why she did it, Olivia. It wasn't about helping the kids; it was all about your approval. ;)

supergrunt
Nov 7th, 2006, 03:08 AM

dreamgoddess099
Nov 7th, 2006, 03:51 AM
That's why she did it, Olivia. It wasn't about helping the kids; it was all about your approval. ;)

She's had Olivia's approval for some years now, so that couldn't have been the reason.