PDA

View Full Version : Russian Watch: 2006 Best & Worst Awards

Tennis Fool
Nov 6th, 2006, 03:36 AM
In 2006, the Russian women have quietly and strategically placed themselves to become a dominant force on the global scene for the next two years. The Queen is of course Sharapova, but she might have some rivals that may soon become household names.

Best Success Story
Dinara Safina.
No longer just Marat's little sister, Dinara, who many thought was not a Top 10 prospect, became one of the ten best in the world this season.

Best Player
Anna Chakvetadze
After a middling year, this teen really turned it on in the fall, winning two tournaments back to back. She is now the leader of the Second Tier Russians.

Best Breakthrough
Olga Poutchkova.
Hands up on how many people even heard of her until this fall? Ending last year ranked 198, the 19-year-old season made two tour finals and is now #40.

Best Improvement
Ekaterina Ivanova
The 18-year-old teen has been a model of consistancy that has brought bountiful rewards. Starting the year ranked 503, she is now #191 in the world.

Best Junior
Ana Pavlyuchekova.
The 15-year-old is the No. 1 Junior and current Junior French & US Open champion. Could be the next big teen Slam queen.

Best Comeback
Anastassia Rodionova
After falling back in the rankings the last two years, Martina Nav's former doubles partner, 24-year-old Ana broke into the Top 100 for the first time
after a spirited run to the 3rd round of the US Open.

Worst Disappointment
Wasn't Maria Kirelkino supposed to be the next Maria? She seems to show up at the Slams but nowhere else. Her rank slid from last year, 25 to 31.

Worst Descent
Vera Dushevina
Her year-end rank tumbled from 39 to 97. Ouch.

I like to hear what you guys think of the Russians season and what you expect for next year.

Aaron68
Nov 6th, 2006, 04:00 AM
I think you pretty much nailed it.

I really have my eye on Pavlyuchenkova. I've seen a little video of her playing, and read some about her too. She looks really impressive. I have the feeling that she is going places.

And yeah, Safina really had some great results this year. If only her brother could say the same (ok, just kidding). I hope that she really builds on this year's success. She should set a goal of making the YEC in '07.

Buitenzorg
Nov 6th, 2006, 04:05 AM
I think worst disappointment should be

Vera Dushevina :p

Comeback of the year

Vera Zvonareva

Tennis Fool
Nov 6th, 2006, 04:10 AM
I think worst disappointment should be

Vera Dushevina :p

Comeback of the year

Vera Zvonareva
Yeah, Vera was great. However, the Russia Watch is for the Non-top 10 players and Vera has been in the Top 10 before.

Josh.
Nov 6th, 2006, 04:13 AM
poor Dushevina

esquímaux
Nov 6th, 2006, 05:52 AM
Dushevina :sad:

FLL
Nov 6th, 2006, 06:34 AM
When has Rodionova played with Navratilova?

And a dissapointement should be Myskina...

Kunal
Nov 6th, 2006, 06:39 AM
ouch for dushi

Daniel
Nov 6th, 2006, 10:07 PM
Vera Z would also be my comeback of the year

and VEra D :bigcry:

Piotr'ek
Nov 6th, 2006, 10:11 PM
Best Player
Anna Chakvetadze

:spit:

ys
Nov 7th, 2006, 01:34 AM
I was very impressed by Vesnina progress. The biggest disappointment to me - Fed Cup flop..

Derek.
Nov 7th, 2006, 01:41 AM
Kirilenko. :sad: :hug: