PDA

View Full Version : Lindsay will play 7-8 tournaments in 2007, but will continue!

davenport124
Nov 5th, 2006, 04:09 PM
By Charles Bricker
South Florida Sun-Sentinel
Posted November 5 2006

DELRAY BEACH· No more speculation about Lindsay Davenport's immediate future. She's not retiring.

She's not planning to play more than seven or eight tournaments in 2007, including three of the four Grand Slams. But, she said Saturday, she'll be out there.

At age 30, Davenport understands there are no guarantees that the knees, the back, the shoulder or various other body parts she's beaten up over an iconic 15-year career won't be aggravating her again.

But right now she's fine.

"I haven't played since mid-September, but I plan to start training in late November and be at the Australian Open," she said Saturday when she came off the court at the annual Chris Evert/Raymond James Pro-Celebrity Tennis Classic.

"I feel great. It's been a tough year with the injuries, but otherwise I feel really good."

What fuels speculation about Davenport's future is her personal history. She's won three majors, finished runner-up in four others, been No. 1 and won 51 tournaments. All that and she's married and very interested in having children.

What more is there for her out there on a Sony Ericsson WTA Tour that has become such a grind that CEO Larry Scott is promising to shorten the season by several weeks by 2009?

"Well, scientifically, I've got until 35 to get started on that," said Davenport, laughing slightly as she contemplated motherhood. "So I've got a little time there."

And the grind? "I can't put my finger on it," she said. "I just still like to play and I enjoy working toward something. I get home [to Laguna Beach, Calif.] and I can't wait to start again."

She played eight tournaments this year, interrupted constantly by injuries. She was going to play the back-to-back big events in March-April at Indian Wells, Calif., and Key Biscayne, but had to pull out of South Florida.

Then she decided to skip all clay court events entirely, including the French Open, because her body wouldn't hold up through the longer points.

Injuries lingered on through Wimbledon and, to compound her problems, she woke up one morning at home in June and passed out, smacking her head against the hardwood floor of her bedroom.

"I fainted and got a concussion and whiplash. They did all these tests on my brain and decided it was just low blood sugar. It was so scary," Davenport said.

She seemed fine at the U.S. Open and, when she swept past Patty Schnyder into the quarterfinals, it was enough to make you fantasize about a 30-something run to another Slam title.

And then, her right arm began going dead, from the fingers to the shoulder. "Apparently it all stemmed from my neck from the fall," she said.

Going out 6-4, 6-4 to Justine Henin-Hardenne ended her drive for a fourth major, but it didn't end her desire to keep playing. She may have wondered out loud in a few news conferences if she really wanted to push on in 2007, but all that is settled now.

Scott and a number of WTA tournament directors don't like the idea of name players pulling out of events, but no one is going to chastise Davenport over playing an abbreviated schedule. They're smart enough to just be happy she's still out there.

"I don't really understand all the expectations on our players having to be in all these tournaments," Davenport mused. "Tiger Woods pulls out of a tournament and it's not a big story, and he doesn't even say he's injured. He just wants to rest.

"We pull out and it's nothing but negative press."

After the Australian, her plan is to play Tokyo, then both Indian Wells and Key Biscayne, Wimbledon and perhaps a lead-up to Wimbledon, one tournament before the U.S. Open and then the Open. It's not much, but for Davenport's legion of fans, it beats retirement.

At least we know shes gunna play through the year even if it is not a full schedule..I hope she decides to add on a few more events though.

MH0861
Nov 5th, 2006, 04:25 PM
She has a decent chance at adding points to her ranking all year - she's barely defending anything at all. I hope she plays well in Australia and Tokyo, and it convinces her to add on a few more events.

hurricanejeanne
Nov 5th, 2006, 04:55 PM
She has a decent chance at adding points to her ranking all year - she's barely defending anything at all. I hope she plays well in Australia and Tokyo, and it convinces her to add on a few more events.

That's what I'm thinking.
I think if she does pretty well at the AO, Tokyo, and IW she may add some events. Knowing Lindsay, anything is possible at this point.
I'm not expecting much in Melbourne, it does depend completely on her draw. And if she avoids certain characters in Tokyo she can put together a run there too.

But I will admit I'm kind of happy she's given up on clay officially. As much I would have loved to see her win Amelia Island one last time (it's my favorite tournament), but the clay can take a hike.

Peace out Roland Garros!:p

The Daviator
Nov 5th, 2006, 05:00 PM
I'm just so pleased she'll be at SW19 :D I really missed her there this year, probably since her 2005 run was so special, anyway, at this stage, I'd be happy to see anything, tier III wins, anything :lol:

As you said in GM jeanne, who would have though at the end of '03, that she'd be playing in '07, I remember after the '05 Aussie Open final, she said in her speech 'See you all next year' and I was just :eek: and here she is playing the 2007 Aussie Open :lol:

She may outlast Kim at this rate :tape:

LDF
Nov 5th, 2006, 05:16 PM

I can't believe that's even a possibility :tape: :lol:

LindsayRulz
Nov 5th, 2006, 05:16 PM
:eek: I can't believe that she will play at least until the US Open!!!:bounce:

hurricanejeanne
Nov 5th, 2006, 05:27 PM
I'm just so pleased she'll be at SW19 :D I really missed her there this year, probably since her 2005 run was so special, anyway, at this stage, I'd be happy to see anything, tier III wins, anything :lol:

As you said in GM jeanne, who would have though at the end of '03, that she'd be playing in '07, I remember after the '05 Aussie Open final, she said in her speech 'See you all next year' and I was just :eek: and here she is playing the 2007 Aussie Open :lol:

I was absolutely devestated when she talked so seriously about retirement after Wimbledon 2004. I remember watching her in Stanford those few weeks later and thinking to myself that this might be one of the last times I watch her play. And I decided that night that I was going to support her through her tournaments, no matter how many or how little she had left. And I've had the mentality for nearly three years. :lol:
Typical Lindsay.
It's the only thing that kind of keeps me sane in times like these. That and comfort food. :tape:

hurricanejeanne
Nov 5th, 2006, 05:29 PM
I can't believe that's even a possibility :tape: :lol:

:lol: Lindsay keeps hitting the snooze button on her biological clock, where Kim isn't sure how to set the time yet.

!<blocparty>!
Nov 5th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

Oh well, at least I'll see her at Wimbledon one last time. Unless her hectic schedule causes another injury.

LDF
Nov 5th, 2006, 06:20 PM

Oh well, at least I'll see her at Wimbledon one last time. Unless her hectic schedule causes another injury.

:lol:

Elldee
Nov 5th, 2006, 06:33 PM
It's tough with Lindsay because she tends to be better after a number of tournements but then physically I guess that's just not gonna work... she played well out of the blue though, in my opinion, against Kuznetsova in Melbourne and, even though she lost, against Henin at the US.

I think maybe Sharapova [mini-Lindsay to an extent] winning the US bouyed Lindsay.

Also, she can have kids in her 60's these days! AAAAAAND, there's some pics from the dinner thing for Chris Evert where Lindsay looks perhaps the best I've ever seen on **************. It's a bit of a smack in the face to Quebec for Lindsay to play an exo on the day of their double bagel final but blame Larry Scott, I guess.

hurricanejeanne
Nov 5th, 2006, 06:43 PM
I did see the pictures on "the site with pictures that we can't post her for legal reasons" last night. A little birdie on another site gave me the heads up.

She cut her hair short again. :p
She looks pretty good though.

Elldee
Nov 5th, 2006, 06:51 PM
I don't actually think she's really cut it any shorter than when she was tying it up to be honesssssst. She looks good though.

LDF
Nov 5th, 2006, 06:55 PM
I don't actually think she's really cut it any shorter than when she was tying it up to be honesssssst. She looks good though.

I agree, I think she's just wearing it down instead of in a ponytail. Good to see she's still in great shape :)

hurricanejeanne
Nov 5th, 2006, 07:03 PM
I agree, I think she's just wearing it down instead of in a ponytail. Good to see she's still in great shape :)

Okay, fine. :p Maybe it looks a bit shorter than it did a couple of months ago because it's curling up under the edge of her cap.
It wouldn't surprise me if she hacks it all off again though. ;)

LDF
Nov 5th, 2006, 07:04 PM
Okay, fine. :p Maybe it looks a bit shorter than it did a couple of months ago because it's curling up under the edge of her cap.
It wouldn't surprise me if she hacks it all off again though. ;)

Me neither :lol:

I'm still not sure which I prefer, short or long hair :scratch:

hurricanejeanne
Nov 5th, 2006, 07:16 PM
Me neither :lol:

I'm still not sure which I prefer, short or long hair :scratch:

I can't choose between the short or long hair either. When she cut it off between the 2004 and 2005 season I was ready for it. But at the same time when she came back this summer I was happy to see it back in a ponytail again. :shrug: :lol:
I'm just happy she'll be around next year right now. :)

Drake1980
Nov 5th, 2006, 07:23 PM
:bounce:

Andrew..
Nov 5th, 2006, 07:42 PM

Yeah.

It's great that everyone is so thrilled that she'll be playing The Sistah Schedule next year, but Lindsay is going to turn into exactly what she feared: a mediorcre top fifty player who can't score wins off of top ten players, and rarely progresses past the quarters of tournaments. If she's suddenly happy with that, then fine. But I doubt she will be.

It's a dumb plan. Especially considering she's going to start her year with a useless exo, where she'll probably get kicked in the 1r, and then waste four of her "seven" events in the first three months of the year.

Oh, but I'm just a HATER!!!!111~~~z

Lindsayfan32
Nov 5th, 2006, 08:07 PM
Yeah.

It's great that everyone is so thrilled that she'll be playing The Sistah Schedule next year, but Lindsay is going to turn into exactly what she feared: a mediorcre top fifty player who can't score wins off of top ten players, and rarely progresses past the quarters of tournaments. If she's suddenly happy with that, then fine. But I doubt she will be.

It's a dumb plan. Especially considering she's going to start her year with a useless exo, where she'll probably get kicked in the 1r, and then waste four of her "seven" events in the first three months of the year.

Andrew here's a new flash I totally disagree with you. If Lindsay wants to play only eight tournaments next year it better than nothing. I'm glad she doing what she feels is right for her and if it keeps her fit and healthy even better. The only thing I wouldn't say about you is you're not a hater you're a strange supporter. Also you're not dumb I personally hate that word said about anyone. While I might disagree with you I would never says your dumb.

Andrew..
Nov 5th, 2006, 08:36 PM
If Lindsay wants to play only eight tournaments next year it better than nothing.
I hate that everyone keeps saying that. I'd rather her retire than be some crappy top fifty player. And I think once she starts racking up those early losses and tumbling down the rankings, alot of you will feel the same way.

I'm glad she doing what she feels is right for her and if it keeps her fit and healthy even better.
Yes. Because she used her time off so well this year. And she stayed extremely fit.

The only thing I wouldn't say about you is you're not a hater you're a strange supporter. Also you're not dumb I personally hate that word said about anyone. While I might disagree with you I would never says your dumb.
Well, thanks, but I never called myself dumb. :p

LindsayRulz
Nov 5th, 2006, 08:44 PM
I hate that everyone keeps saying that. I'd rather her retire than be some crappy top fifty player. And I think once she starts racking up those early losses and tumbling down the rankings, alot of you will feel the same way.

How the hell could she tumbling down the ranking if she has no points to defend between IW and New Haven :confused:

And I don't think that she will lose in the first round of the aussie open...

!<blocparty>!
Nov 5th, 2006, 08:58 PM
Australian Open R2: M. Sharapova (2) def. L. Davenport 6-3 6-1.

Elldee
Nov 5th, 2006, 09:03 PM
Lindsay will be seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeded... 20-something?

Anyway I think Lindsay will play more tournements than this suggests, probably Amelia Island and then Stanford or LA.

Elldee
Nov 5th, 2006, 09:07 PM
Also, she blatantly isn't going to play Miami so she'll probably pick up the green clay, Dubai... I see a similar version of 2005 with a few tournements lopped off at the start and end.

mike/topgun
Nov 5th, 2006, 09:13 PM
I share your view Andrew.

Well, we certianly know, that it's slowly coming to an end , but how much fun could Lindsay get from losing to Masha say in Wimbledon 3rd, or 4th round:rolleyes:
If she's to play only 8 events, she needs to be really effective there, cos she's not playin for 'fun' only. She's a champ = doesn not like loosing.
She really needs to get to the quarters, semis, finals...otherwise she'll not be enjoying it at all, like it was in Beijing, and that's for sure...
...Or she'll be really fit and happy to be on court like in 2004...but I doubt it.

After all, I'm totally thrilled that only she made the statement at last:banana:

Andrew..
Nov 5th, 2006, 09:17 PM
How the hell could she tumbling down the ranking if she has no points to defend between IW and New Haven :confused:

And I don't think that she will lose in the first round of the aussie open...
Because she has things to defend before IW.

And who said anything about the 1r. She should make it to the 3r. Anything beyond that, she'll need a lucky draw. 3r at AO puts her out of the top 30. And with her "schedule", if you can call it that, she'll be lucky to be seeded at Wimbledon. Though, if she does stay in the top 32 through that point, they'll probably do that stupid grass seeding shit and give her a top 24 seed.

Andrew..
Nov 5th, 2006, 09:18 PM
Australian Open R2: M. Sharapova (2) def. L. Davenport 6-3 6-1.
No. She'll be seeded. But outside of the top 24, barring withdrawls.

This would happen in the 3r. :) And it would be 1 and 1.

hurricanejeanne
Nov 5th, 2006, 09:18 PM
Lindsay will be seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeded... 20-something?

Anyway I think Lindsay will play more tournements than this suggests, probably Amelia Island and then Stanford or LA.

Lindsay should be seeded at the AO. Her approximate ranking after her YEC points from last year will be about 26. (She's 19th right now.)

I agree. I wouldn't be surprised if Lindsay probably added a few tournaments here and there. She also is up for a Wimbledon warmup as this article states.

We'll just have to wait and see what happens at this point. Although I understand the frustration of some posters in this forum.

Andrew..
Nov 5th, 2006, 09:19 PM
Also, she blatantly isn't going to play Miami so she'll probably pick up the green clay, Dubai... I see a similar version of 2005 with a few tournements lopped off at the start and end.
Well, that would be a fine schedule.

But, then when would she have time for her three-month honeymoons with Leach.

Andrew..
Nov 5th, 2006, 09:20 PM
Oh, and this decision to play next year makes skipping Linz and Quebec City even more stupid. Show up, get 2r points at Linz, QF at QC, and she has a top 24 seeding at the AO. Now, she'll meet Maria or Justine in the 3r.

!<blocparty>!
Nov 5th, 2006, 09:29 PM
Oh, and this decision to play next year makes skipping Linz and Quebec City even more stupid. Show up, get 2r points at Linz, QF at QC, and she has a top 24 seeding at the AO. Now, she'll meet Maria or Justine in the 3r.

You were right about the not injured not training assumptions too. She said herself in this recent news she feels GREAT, and she's going to start training at the end of November. WTF, that's just a total joke.

LindsayRulz
Nov 5th, 2006, 09:44 PM

Why not Nadia or Mauresmo?

and I'm sure she will not draw Maria in the third round cuz Maria has always the easier draw.

oh and you forgot to talk about a possible 1r against serena ;)

Elldee
Nov 5th, 2006, 09:48 PM
Australian Open, Tokyo, Dubai, Indian Wells, Amelia Island, Wimbledon, Stanford, LA, US Open, Bali.

That's not horrendous. Hingis made it to the quarters of the Aussie unseeded with a good draw.. let's just see what happens and hopefully, yes, Lindsay will get a top 8 seeding at Wimbledon too.

Andrew..
Nov 5th, 2006, 10:38 PM
Why not Nadia or Mauresmo?
You think she'd do much better against either?

oh and you forgot to talk about a possible 1r against serena ;)
I didn't mention it because 1) that's the same situation every other player in the draw is in, and 2) it wouldn't be a problem.

LindsayRulz
Nov 5th, 2006, 10:54 PM
You think she'd do much better against either?

Seriously do you prefer to see Lindsay draw Nadia or Christine in the 3r?

The Daviator
Nov 5th, 2006, 11:05 PM
Yeah.

What's a "HATER!!!!111~~~z"?

A. How do you know what is in store for her? B. Why is the outlook always so bleak?

:lol: at all the predictions that she'll meet Sharapova in the 3rd round of every event :lol: She will not fall out of the top 50, chances are she'll meet Henin/Sharapova early, chances are, and get this, GREATER chances are, she won't! If she does, who gives? So she'll lose in the 3rd round instead the 1/4s, but maybe she'll draw Dementieva? No? :rolleyes:

Anyway, if she reaches the 1/4s in Australia, she'll won't lose any points except for the Dubai semis until New Haven, so she won't fall outside of the top 50 :)

In any case, she's stopping in New York, people need to lower their expectations, maybe you'd be happy to see her quit now, but I'm happy to see her return to Wimbledon...

And hopefully I'll get to see her win two rounds before she bumps into Sharpie :D

davenport124
Nov 5th, 2006, 11:11 PM
What site are these pictures of Lindsay at the exhibition on?, I wanna seem them:)

Andrew, every post I have read of yours is completely negative about Lindsay. Be more positive! We are all disappointed that she is playign a crap schedule, but that doesnt mean she wont do well next year. If she is fit, she can beat almost anyone (probably everyone except Henin)

Lindsayfan32
Nov 5th, 2006, 11:44 PM
We should all be happy that Lindsay has decided to play on next year. I would like to see her play more than 8 events next year but its better than nothing. Let's stop biting each other heads off and enjoy what time Lindsay has left before she retires for good. There is way too much negative stuff going on on this board. Be happy she's playing at all next and who says she won't play more the schedule is not set in stone things can change. Also everyone is entitled to an opinion, you are allowed to disagree with someone but please stop being so bitchy in your responses there is no need for it.

This post isn't aimed at any particular person on this board it how I feel and that's it.

Andrew..
Nov 6th, 2006, 12:24 AM
What site are these pictures of Lindsay at the exhibition on?, I wanna seem them:)

Andrew, every post I have read of yours is completely negative about Lindsay. Be more positive! We are all disappointed that she is playign a crap schedule, but that doesnt mean she wont do well next year. If she is fit, she can beat almost anyone (probably everyone except Henin)
No.

MH0861
Nov 6th, 2006, 02:11 AM
Australia will be very telling.

LethalLindsay
Nov 6th, 2006, 02:24 AM

Ignore her......Miss Warwick only wants attention...........it does not matter whether she draws whoever in the first round or the Final. To win a Slam you have to beat everyone in the field either way!

lindsayno1
Nov 6th, 2006, 06:23 PM
Meh this is stupid. Id laugh if she drew Justine in the 3rd round...cos its so gonna happen.

Andrew..
Nov 7th, 2006, 02:04 AM
I hope so. Let's predict the highlights of her post-match interview!

MH0861
Nov 7th, 2006, 04:03 AM
I hope so. Let's predict the highlights of her post-match interview!

J. HENIN-HARDENNE/L. DAVENPORT 6-4 6-1
"Justine is phenominal. She's definitely the best player out there right now. I feel really great, and I'm happy to be playing."

"I'm really proud with how I played in the first set. It just didn't go my way today."

blumaroo
Nov 7th, 2006, 01:01 PM
You forgot her trademark "Too good, Too good"

lindsayno1
Nov 7th, 2006, 01:23 PM
"Justine is phenominal. She's definitely the best player out there right now. I feel really great, and I'm happy to be playing."

"I'm really proud with how I played in the first set. It just didn't go my way today."

LOL!! 'you know'

!<blocparty>!
Nov 7th, 2006, 01:35 PM
"When out on court I try to look as miserable as possible and put 0 effort in when my opponents are on the offensive. Why bother run? My fragile body, at 30, is way too old to do something like that.. I mean, I get injured just standing on the baseline most of the time, imagine if I had to, like, move, you know. Besides, Justine is way too good. She is the best player in the world right now... all she does is move better than I do and, put effort in, but that's enough. I'm just out there trying to have fun and please my fans!

The appearance fees are nice, too."

Confident
Nov 7th, 2006, 01:39 PM
Hehe, I like ^ the quote.:)
I can't wait for watching her game again.

LethalLindsay
Nov 7th, 2006, 03:35 PM

GREAT! Now LaToya is here as well.......................

mike/topgun
Nov 7th, 2006, 04:51 PM
"When out on court I try to look as miserable as possible and put 0 effort in when my opponents are on the offensive. Why bother run? My fragile body, at 30, is way too old to do something like that.. I mean, I get injured just standing on the baseline most of the time, imagine if I had to, like, move, you know. Besides, Justine is way too good. She is the best player in the world right now... all she does is move better than I do and, put effort in, but that's enough. I'm just out there trying to have fun and please my fans!

The appearance fees are nice, too."
:haha: :o

MH0861
Nov 7th, 2006, 07:17 PM
GREAT! Now LaToya is here as well.......................

Umm.. what? :confused:

Elldee
Nov 7th, 2006, 10:42 PM
This is all very strange.

I wish the Dav was playing in Madrid... it's nice and fast :)

hurricanejeanne
Nov 8th, 2006, 12:09 AM
This is all very strange.

I wish the Dav was playing in Madrid... it's nice and fast :)

Strange indeed. But relatively entertaining. :tape:

The court seems nice (speed wise). But keeping with our '80's theme here, what's with the day-glo colored courts? It hurts my eyes. That combination with the electronic backdrops doesn't help either. Sigh.

LethalLindsay
Nov 8th, 2006, 02:15 AM
Does the phrase "Pot, Kettle, Black" mean anything to you? Calling Mrs. Teapot.... short and stout... Mrs. Teapot to the phones................

What is wrong with you you psycho? Not only do you make stupid comments assuming you have any idea whats going through Lindsay's mind regarding her career, but when anybody disagrees with you you insult them! You are truly lower than low!

No-one knows what Lindsay's plans are, why she is making them or why she is choosing to make the decisions she is making and all this negative, psychic forecasting has been stupid, which is what you are as you are obviously in need of institutionalisation that you can't even get a simple joke about the Psychic Friends Network.....oh no I have given it away, now you will think you are clever when really you are a moron who does nothing but sow trouble and dissent.

!<blocparty>!
Nov 8th, 2006, 11:24 AM
Tokyo QF:

M. Sharapova def. L. Davenport 6-1 6-3.

Elldee
Nov 8th, 2006, 01:25 PM
All these big long posts with big long words don't make a difference because it's Lindsay's choice. Feel free, however, to choose the schedule for your own professional tennis career. The score thing by the way? gets less and less funny each time.

MH0861
Nov 8th, 2006, 03:51 PM
All these big long posts with big long words don't make a difference because it's Lindsay's choice. Feel free, however, to choose the schedule for your own professional tennis career. The score thing by the way? gets less and less funny each time.

AO 1R: L. Davenport def. N. Pratt 6-1 6-1. :)

Lindsayfan32
Nov 8th, 2006, 07:38 PM

Grand Slam I couldn't agree with you more. Whilewe'd all like to see Lindsay play more (me included) it's Lindsay's choice and better than her not playing at all. I also totally agree with the score thing and can we cut the bitchyness out too it giving me the shits.

LethalLindsay
Nov 8th, 2006, 07:44 PM

Thank you! As for Andrew's post he is correct it is a message board and every one is entitled to an opinion....but my point is none of these people including you Andrew SAY it's an opinion. You use statements to assume you KNOW what Lindsay is doing.

I'm out!

mike/topgun
Nov 8th, 2006, 08:40 PM
I'm happy she'll play next year, but I'm not sure I'd want to see her loosing in tierII quarters...

And all we know is that Lindsay is going to try again, hope she's fit and ready like in 2004.

Ingokoer
Nov 9th, 2006, 07:50 AM
I'm just happy to see that she is going to play in 2007. But I hope she will play Dubai instead of Miami and that she'll play 2 of her californian summer events (Stanford & Los Angeles) because she loves to play in her home state and always had good results there. She could skip the warm up for Wimbledon instead. In the last years she never played Eastbourne or Birmingham but had good results in Wimbledon.

Kelly
Nov 9th, 2006, 06:13 PM
i guess i should post something...

so yey lindsay
boo lindsay
win lindsay
choke and lose lindsay
i will miss u when u do retire lindsay..
er...i think that covers it all
oh and i will throw in a i hate christine just for the fun of it

lindsayno1
Nov 10th, 2006, 11:46 AM
Birmingham is easy points, the field always blows eventually...like last year when all the decent people pulled out bar pova and jankovic (who was shite at the time!)

Kunal
Nov 10th, 2006, 11:52 AM
sounds like she is managing things better

sweet_angel23
Nov 11th, 2006, 06:25 AM
i hope i'l get to see her next year in AO..and get my picture taken with her before she retires..
i watched wimby 05 yesterday and i cried 'again'...lol

.Andrew.
Nov 12th, 2006, 02:07 AM
Yay Lindsay! Hope she can choose a smart schedule and be healthy all year! :) :D

mike/topgun
Nov 12th, 2006, 07:58 PM
Oh, well, I think we all forgot why Lindsay played only few events this year:shrug:
WE MUST REMEMBER that the bulging disk was a problem, and it could still be a big issue - have you thought about that, maybe...just maybe Lindsay's not able physically to play more than 8-10 events per year anymore:(
Let's hope we get to see her when she plays. It could be a good year even though less intense, the results may be MUCH better than this year - if her body holds up, playin 8 events in 9 months is not that much, but if she gets to play 5 matches in 5 days it's gonna be rough:lol:

MH0861
Nov 12th, 2006, 08:51 PM
Oh, well, I think we all forgot why Lindsay played only few events this year:shrug:
WE MUST REMEMBER that the bulging disk was a problem, and it could still be a big issue - have you thought about that, maybe...just maybe Lindsay's not able physically to play more than 8-10 events per year anymore:(
Let's hope we get to see her when she plays. It could be a good year even though less intense, the results may be MUCH better than this year - if her body holds up, playin 8 events in 9 months is not that much, but if she gets to play 5 matches in 5 days it's gonna be rough:lol:

It's a double edged sword... if she plays a lot, she's prone to injury at her old age... but if she doesn't play a lot, her body may not become used to the grind of tennis and she could strain her muscles and trigger injuries, too (See: New Haven '06). Honestly, 2007 will be about Wimbledon for her -- it's her best shot to pull out the magic again and make a deep run at a slam.

mike/topgun
Nov 12th, 2006, 08:55 PM
Honestly, 2007 will be about Wimbledon for her -- it's her best shot to pull out the magic again and make a deep run at a slam.
Shall be:)

hurricanejeanne
Nov 12th, 2006, 09:06 PM
It's a double edged sword... if she plays a lot, she's prone to injury at her old age... but if she doesn't play a lot, her body may not become used to the grind of tennis and she could strain her muscles and trigger injuries, too (See: New Haven '06). Honestly, 2007 will be about Wimbledon for her -- it's her best shot to pull out the magic again and make a deep run at a slam.

I agree.
I also think that Lindsay is well aware of the fine line she has to walk with how prone her body is. Her knee could go at anytime, ditts with her back again. I'd like to think she's changed her training routine to work better with her sensitive spots.

Also if you look at the tournaments mentioned, she's basically playing the tournaments she loves. And getting rid of the clay. She might play more, but that will depend on her results and her body. More or less her body.

I'm just going to hope for the best and see what happens.
Viva Lindsay in 2007!:angel:

lindsayno1
Nov 12th, 2006, 10:23 PM
her knees a walking time bomb...its gonna eventually go again at some point, its the nature of the injury

The Daviator
Nov 12th, 2006, 11:29 PM

Correct, and I'm so glad she'll be there, I felt her absent this year most at Wimbledon, hopefully she'll be fit and in decent form and Mauresmo/Sharapova/Henin/Venus/Serena all withdraw ;)

Andrew..
Nov 12th, 2006, 11:34 PM
Lolz. I don't believe her back injury was ever as severe as she said it was. She never intended on playing the clay season. For all intents and purposes, she missed one tournament because of the back - Miami. Then she "fell", and missed Wimbledon.

RayRob
Nov 13th, 2006, 10:25 AM
I have returned from my long time away from here...mainly because I have been busy and couldn't be bothered to come to the boards - if I'm honest.

Good to see lindsay 'plans' on playing next year which is very pleasing. Even if it is a limited schedule. I can't really comment on the year since I missed half of it anyway.

Anyway, catch you all around next year when the season kicks in again.
-Rach

Elldee
Nov 13th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Lolz. I don't believe her back injury was ever as severe as she said it was. She never intended on playing the clay season. For all intents and purposes, she missed one tournament because of the back - Miami. Then she "fell", and missed Wimbledon.

Are you actually suggesting that she didn't fall?

MH0861
Nov 13th, 2006, 08:09 PM

Maybe. I think a fairer statement is that she used the time to re-evaluate her future, career and life as a 30 year old - which I think she's perfectly entitled to the right to do at this point in her life and career as a tennis player. I don't think it's any secret that she was close to quitting this spring/summer, and that's the main reason why she was gone for so long.

Lindsayfan32
Nov 13th, 2006, 08:52 PM
Maybe. I think a fairer statement is that she used the time to re-evaluate her future, career and life as a 30 year old - which I think she's perfectly entitled to the right to do at this point in her life and career as a tennis player. I don't think it's any secret that she was close to quitting this spring/summer, and that's the main reason why she was gone for so long.

I agree with you MH0861 but if this is the Lindsay we're going to get next year as I've said before its better than nothing. It does make me wonder about one thing though. How close was Lindsay to retiring this year. The body must be starting to over ride the mind after a 15 year career, also her desire to have kids must be starting to really kick in. Let's enjoy Lindsay while she still around to enjoy. She'll be a long time retired.

:)

mike/topgun
Nov 13th, 2006, 09:12 PM
The fact is that most of the players, in any sport, tend to recover for a long, long time from this type of injury...anyway, watch Lindsay's matches from last year, before the Wimbledon final, and then try some from 2006(i.e. AO, or Dubai). I guarantee that you'll discover the difference...somehow.

AFTER ALL, we should be enjoying the fact that Lindsay didn't quit in 2003/2004, or last year after US Open...and she didn't quit after this years US Open...Let's see the positives for once - she'll be back in Oz!:banana:

Take a look at the bigger picture - she's had some tough time in the recent years, you must admit. She's 30, married, ahving plans for the future, she's been playing tennis for a long time...and her body is injury prone - those are some of the objective arguments. But maybe as you claim, she's faking and not trying hard enough - if so, the I must admit that you're Nostradamus:lol:

I know that LF32 is better than me in this department, but what a fan are you? If you never say a positive thing about her, unless she plays near her best/wins almost all of the matches...Then when she's in trouble you just: give zero support, tend to over-criticise and spread frustration etc...it's just not healthy:p

To make it clear - IMO- it's not something that matters, but look at yourself first and say: "what I did wrong", or "what could I do better", or get injured and try to play your best tennis right away - it's not that simple, you see. And I assume you play tennis (right?)

PS.Yeah, Lindsay was ready to practce before Wimbledon and then she fell and sustained some concussion - it's nothing to make fun of actually, it happens.:shrug:

Anyway - who cares, Andrew, she's EARNED the RIGHT to CHOOSE where she's playing:) And you can't do a single thing about it. Just like we all, so don't get started all over again.:lol:
Thank you:wavey:

Andrew..
Nov 13th, 2006, 11:18 PM
Yeah. Been there, and that's why I question the severity of that injury. When I had a bulging disk, I could not walk. There's no way in hell she was playing tennis with two of those.

The fact is that most of the players, in any sport, tend to recover for a long, long time from this type of injury...anyway, watch Lindsay's matches from last year, before the Wimbledon final, and then try some from 2006(i.e. AO, or Dubai). I guarantee that you'll discover the difference...somehow.
Yeah. Because she f-ed up her best chance at a slam, and knew it was pretty much over. Hard to play with confidence after that.

AFTER ALL, we should be enjoying the fact that Lindsay didn't quit in 2003/2004, or last year after US Open...and she didn't quit after this years US Open...Let's see the positives for once - she'll be back in Oz!:banana:
That's nice.

Take a look at the bigger picture - she's had some tough time in the recent years, you must admit. She's 30, married, ahving plans for the future, she's been playing tennis for a long time...and her body is injury prone - those are some of the objective arguments. But maybe as you claim, she's faking and not trying hard enough - if so, the I must admit that you're Nostradamus:lol:
How is being married traumatic. Are you saying she's a battered wife.

I'm not saying that she didn't hurt her back, I'm questioning the severity of it. I think that it being the excuse for keeping her out for three months is bullshit.

I know that LF32 is better than me in this department, but what a fan are you? If you never say a positive thing about her, unless she plays near her best/wins almost all of the matches...Then when she's in trouble you just: give zero support, tend to over-criticise and spread frustration etc...it's just not healthy:p

Oh, lolz. Another YOURE NOT A TRUE FAN~ thread. I've probably followed Lindsay longer than everyone else here, have seen more of her matches, and know her results. I'm a negative person. I'm not going to congratulate her on losing a match. Congrats, Lindsay. That was some fight you showed against Amelie!

To make it clear - IMO- it's not something that matters, but look at yourself first and say: "what I did wrong", or "what could I do better", or get injured and try to play your best tennis right away - it's not that simple, you see. And I assume you play tennis (right?)
What.

PS.Yeah, Lindsay was ready to practce before Wimbledon and then she fell and sustained some concussion - it's nothing to make fun of actually, it happens.:shrug:
Poor Lindsay.

Anyway - who cares, Andrew, she's EARNED the RIGHT to CHOOSE where she's playing:) And you can't do a single thing about it. Just like we all, so don't get started all over again.:lol:
Thank you:wavey:
Yeah, she's super.

mike/topgun
Nov 14th, 2006, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by Andrew..
How is being married traumatic. Are you saying she's a battered wife.

I'm not saying that she didn't hurt her back, I'm questioning the severity of it. I think that it being the excuse for keeping her out for three months is bullshit.
No. But you have to take many facts into consideration. Then we must remember, that Lindsay is a woman, and they have their biological "thing" going on in a certain age(marriage, children, family...er tennis career is not on the 1st place anymore I guess)...
Yeah. Because she f-ed up her best chance at a slam, and knew it was pretty much over. Hard to play with confidence after that.
You're right that's another important fact!
Oh, lolz. Another YOURE NOT A TRUE FAN~ thread. I've probably followed Lindsay longer than everyone else here, have seen more of her matches, and know her results. I'm a negative person. I'm not going to congratulate her on losing a match. Congrats, Lindsay. That was some fight you showed against Amelie!
I was being sarcastic:lol: At least you know your own weaknesses...
Well, regardless of whether someone is being negative or positive, that's exactly what she's going to do.
I think there's a problem with that, but how can you be so sure?
Poor Lindsay.
:haha:
Yeah, she's super.
great to hear it from you:haha:

The biggest difference is that you're a negative person, while I am trying to be a positive person! Yeah, I'm trying:lol:

jacs
Nov 15th, 2006, 02:31 AM
A couple of things every single one of us should remember:

No one here is 10 years old. (Okay, that's probably wrong, I've seen alot of 10 year olds who have better behavior than what I've been seeing here.)

Anyway, the point is our posts SHOULD reflect our maturity as people.

It is okay to disagree with what another person is saying. But you can do it in such a way that you DO NOT INSULT OR OFFEND HIM OR HER in the process.

"But he or she started it in the first place!" Again, we are not in elementary school. Who frickin' cares who started it? Act like an adult, be the better person and just ignore it.

It is just mind-boggling sometimes that I have to remind people this.

Also, it is sometimes annoying to see people attaching fairly direct offenses against Lindsay. I keep seeing words like "stupid" and such accorded to her in your posts.

It is alright to express your frustration. It is alright to be pissed. It is kinda alright to be sarcastic (although that is sometimes excessive as well). But I think calling Lindsay these names goes over the line. This is supposed to be a subforum for her fans. Don't forget that.

MH0861
Nov 15th, 2006, 04:34 AM
A couple of things every single one of us should remember:

No one here is 10 years old. (Okay, that's probably wrong, I've seen alot of 10 year olds who have better behavior than what I've been seeing here.)

Anyway, the point is our posts SHOULD reflect our maturity as people.

It is okay to disagree with what another person is saying. But you can do it in such a way that you DO NOT INSULT OR OFFEND HIM OR HER in the process.

"But he or she started it in the first place!" Again, we are not in elementary school. Who frickin' cares who started it? Act like an adult, be the better person and just ignore it.

It is just mind-boggling sometimes that I have to remind people this.

Also, it is sometimes annoying to see people attaching fairly direct offenses against Lindsay. I keep seeing words like "stupid" and such accorded to her in your posts.

It is alright to express your frustration. It is alright to be pissed. It is kinda alright to be sarcastic (although that is sometimes excessive as well). But I think calling Lindsay these names goes over the line. This is supposed to be a subforum for her fans. Don't forget that.

If you've decided to delete posts due to their content, please be consistent and delete post #55 as well, please. :)

jacs
Nov 15th, 2006, 07:34 AM
If you've decided to delete posts due to their content, please be consistent and delete post #55 as well, please. :)

Okay I thought I already did. Thank you for putting that to my attention.