PDA

View Full Version : Lindsay Davenport Not Retiring(Plans To Play 7-8 Events)

Marcell
Nov 5th, 2006, 03:59 PM
Davenport will be back

Former No. 1 plans to play 7-8 events

By Charles Bricker
South Florida Sun-Sentinel
Posted November 5 2006

DELRAY BEACHˇ No more speculation about Lindsay Davenport's immediate future. She's not retiring.

She's not planning to play more than seven or eight tournaments in 2007, including three of the four Grand Slams. But, she said Saturday, she'll be out there.

LocalLinks

At age 30, Davenport understands there are no guarantees that the knees, the back, the shoulder or various other body parts she's beaten up over an iconic 15-year career won't be aggravating her again.

But right now she's fine.

"I haven't played since mid-September, but I plan to start training in late November and be at the Australian Open," she said Saturday when she came off the court at the annual Chris Evert/Raymond James Pro-Celebrity Tennis Classic.

"I feel great. It's been a tough year with the injuries, but otherwise I feel really good."

What fuels speculation about Davenport's future is her personal history. She's won three majors, finished runner-up in four others, been No. 1 and won 51 tournaments. All that and she's married and very interested in having children.

What more is there for her out there on a Sony Ericsson WTA Tour that has become such a grind that CEO Larry Scott is promising to shorten the season by several weeks by 2009?

"Well, scientifically, I've got until 35 to get started on that," said Davenport, laughing slightly as she contemplated motherhood. "So I've got a little time there."

And the grind? "I can't put my finger on it," she said. "I just still like to play and I enjoy working toward something. I get home [to Laguna Beach, Calif.] and I can't wait to start again."

She played eight tournaments this year, interrupted constantly by injuries. She was going to play the back-to-back big events in March-April at Indian Wells, Calif., and Key Biscayne, but had to pull out of South Florida.

Then she decided to skip all clay court events entirely, including the French Open, because her body wouldn't hold up through the longer points.

Injuries lingered on through Wimbledon and, to compound her problems, she woke up one morning at home in June and passed out, smacking her head against the hardwood floor of her bedroom.

"I fainted and got a concussion and whiplash. They did all these tests on my brain and decided it was just low blood sugar. It was so scary," Davenport said.

She seemed fine at the U.S. Open and, when she swept past Patty Schnyder into the quarterfinals, it was enough to make you fantasize about a 30-something run to another Slam title.

And then, her right arm began going dead, from the fingers to the shoulder. "Apparently it all stemmed from my neck from the fall," she said.

Going out 6-4, 6-4 to Justine Henin-Hardenne ended her drive for a fourth major, but it didn't end her desire to keep playing. She may have wondered out loud in a few news conferences if she really wanted to push on in 2007, but all that is settled now.

Scott and a number of WTA tournament directors don't like the idea of name players pulling out of events, but no one is going to chastise Davenport over playing an abbreviated schedule. They're smart enough to just be happy she's still out there.

"I don't really understand all the expectations on our players having to be in all these tournaments," Davenport mused. "Tiger Woods pulls out of a tournament and it's not a big story, and he doesn't even say he's injured. He just wants to rest.

"We pull out and it's nothing but negative press."

After the Australian, her plan is to play Tokyo, then both Indian Wells and Key Biscayne, Wimbledon and perhaps a lead-up to Wimbledon, one tournament before the U.S. Open and then the Open. It's not much, but for Davenport's legion of fans, it beats retirement.

Viktymise
Nov 5th, 2006, 04:01 PM
She prob wont play the red clay court season i feel, she wants to be fit and ready for Wimbledon which is maybe her best shot at another slam because of the surface

CrossCourt~Rally
Nov 5th, 2006, 04:03 PM
:yeah:

LDF
Nov 5th, 2006, 04:04 PM
Yay :D

Though I'm not sure playing only 7 or 8 events is the way to go, unless she wants to end up playing Justine and Maria in the 3rd round of tournaments :o

shirley
Nov 5th, 2006, 04:05 PM
3 out of 4 majors? She'll skip the French then :) But it's good news that Lindsay still plans on playing :D

GoDominique
Nov 5th, 2006, 04:05 PM
It will be difficult.

With her low ranking she will get lots of tough draws.
And if she suffers early losses in the few events that she plays, her ranking will drop even more.

But good luck.

tennisbuddy12
Nov 5th, 2006, 04:07 PM
I have a feeling shes going to retire at tehe USO :sad: :bigcry: :tears: :crying2: :hysteric:

IceHock
Nov 5th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Yeah her last event will prolly be the USO, hope she wins it.

Uranus
Nov 5th, 2006, 04:11 PM
2 top players (Linds, Kimmy) already thinking of skipping the French Open and they're not even injured :lol:

mr_burns
Nov 5th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Great news...Off season from end of march until mid of june;-) Quite nice...Allt he best---I am sp happy

St.Sebastian
Nov 5th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Can't wait to see her back on court :banana:

-Sonic-
Nov 5th, 2006, 04:16 PM
pleeeeeeeeeeease play a wimbledon warm up Linds!

!<blocparty>!
Nov 5th, 2006, 04:18 PM
This is ridiculous. If she thinks she'll be able to reach the latter stages of *three* slams ranked like 90, then good luck.

"but I plan to start training in late November"

"I feel great. It's been a tough year with the injuries, but otherwise I feel really good."

:tape:

So what the hell have you been doing and what the hell are you going to be doing until late November.

vw.
Nov 5th, 2006, 04:18 PM
:D
At least she's not retiring! I hope so much that she can win a slam this year coming up. :sad:

Sally Struthers
Nov 5th, 2006, 04:21 PM
oh I didn't know about her whiplash and concussion

The Daviator
Nov 5th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Well I'm thrilled that she'll be on the tour for most of next year, and that she's made these statements so we can all stop speculating now :lol: The best news is that she'll give Wimbledon another shot :woohoo: :bounce:

But this line saddened me - "Going out 6-4, 6-4 to Justine Henin-Hardenne ended her drive for a fourth major, but it didn't end her desire to keep playing." I hope this was just a journo's line :unsure: and I'm also a bit sad because she's sort of saying, finally, when she'll be stopping :sad:

Anyway, thank goodness we'll see her again, can't wait for Australia now :D

Nicolás89
Nov 5th, 2006, 04:24 PM
she is not retiring but i think we will never see our lindsay completely and fully fit:sad: maybe for one or two tournaments (wimby and us open) but not a full schedule again:sad:

but lindsay:worship:

The Daviator
Nov 5th, 2006, 04:26 PM
This is ridiculous. If she thinks she'll be able to reach the latter stages of *three* slams ranked like 90, then good luck.

So what the hell have you been doing and what the hell are you going to be doing until late November.

Where in the article does it say she thinks she can reach the latter stages of three Slams? I believe it said this...

"Going out 6-4, 6-4 to Justine Henin-Hardenne ended her drive for a fourth major, but it didn't end her desire to keep playing."

She just wants to play, stop hating :rolleyes:

Orion
Nov 5th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Where in the article does it say she thinks she can reach the latter stages of three Slams?

Exactly. And besides, anyone who thinks a top 10 player is going to be pleased about seeing Davenport in their 3rd round match is stupid. She may not be a top competitor, but she's going to shake up some draws.

!<blocparty>!
Nov 5th, 2006, 04:33 PM
She just wants to play, stop hating :rolleyes:

Why does she want to play ranked outside the top 30 with no chance of winning slams. It goes against everything she's EVER said.

We have been over this time and time again. I don't 'just want to see her play one last time!" at like 50%. It will just piss me off watching her tank and suck against players she should be beating, even at 30.

ChrisCologne
Nov 5th, 2006, 04:37 PM
I doubt it´s smart playing both tierI events in Indian Wells and Miami back-2-back and then resting till Wimbledon. I think it would be smarter adding Arabian events after Tokyo and resting for one of the big 2.

And considering how hot she is on hardcourts and when she really plans on retiring after the USO, I think there´s more than just one event appropriate to get a propper seed for the GS´s.

Knizzle
Nov 5th, 2006, 04:38 PM
PLANNING to play only 7-8 events is sort of silly. How does she figure she'll get the WCs if she needs them after having already been denied some this year. If she had saiud 10-12 then ok, but 7-8 is ridiculous, she might as well stay at home.

The Daviator
Nov 5th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Why does she want to play ranked outside the top 30 with no chance of winning slams. It goes against everything she's EVER said.

We have been over this time and time again. I don't 'just want to see her play one last time!" at like 50%. It will just piss me off watching her tank and suck against players she should be beating, even at 30.

I get you, but two extra weeks training will have zero effect, I hope she doesn't play as poorly as Beijing, and I doubt she will, she won't be flying to Australia to win one round and lose, then again, she won't be winning it either, she's winding down, it's all coming to an end now...

GoDominique
Nov 5th, 2006, 04:41 PM
Yeah, I don't really see how her motivation and attitude will be much better than at this year's post-USO events. The question is, what is she playing for?

Orion
Nov 5th, 2006, 04:41 PM
It will just piss me off watching her tank and suck against players she should be beating, even at 30.

I don't think she has a particular concern for your feelings in the matter. People can change their mind, it's not a crime. And do you truly see anyone outside of the top 15 having a really good chance of winning? Sure, she'll lose to some people she wouldn't have a year ago, but that's to be expecting. She's 30 going on 47.

And who knows, in 2005, nobody would have said Mary Pierce could do anything major, and she reached two slam finals. Sure, she played more tournaments, but anyone with an explosive game and 1-2 punch combo's are pretty safe bets for winning a round or two on hardcourts and grass, even if they aren't fit. See: Williams, Serena: US Open 2005.

!<blocparty>!
Nov 5th, 2006, 04:42 PM
The question is, what is she playing for?

Fun!

Orion
Nov 5th, 2006, 04:43 PM
PLANNING to play only 7-8 events is sort of silly. How does she figure she'll get the WCs if she needs them after having already been denied some this year. If she had saiud 10-12 then ok, but 7-8 is ridiculous, she might as well stay at home.

People, she's still in the top 20. She's played 8 tournaments this year and is still in the top 20. She can't drop out of the top 30 until Indian Wells, I believe. She doesn't NEED wildcards.

GoDominique
Nov 5th, 2006, 04:43 PM
Fun!
And she sure looks like she's thoroughly enjoying it everytime I see her play. :p

The Daviator
Nov 5th, 2006, 04:45 PM

She'll be given WCs, she was denied Canada because, apparently, the event didn't even want her there because she's shown zero interest and given no support to that tournament, which is fair enough since it's true :lol:

But if she decides to play Eastbourne, for example, she's getting a WC no question...

If she were to somehow reach the 1/4s in Australia again, and then have a good run in Tokyo (a great event for her) her ranking will start to head back in the right direction again anyway...

!<blocparty>!
Nov 5th, 2006, 04:49 PM
I don't think she has a particular concern for your feelings in the matter.

Your point being? :confused: This is a message board general discussion forum, where people give their opinions, and discuss.

Lindsay playing 7/8 events is just really, really stupid. She's not going to achieve anything except maybe a good slam run with a decent draw and a tier II title (wait, will she play any of them?:o).

:shrug:

MistyGrey
Nov 5th, 2006, 04:50 PM
Good Luck Lindsay! :bounce: I hope she can win one more Wimbledon.

jenny161185
Nov 5th, 2006, 05:00 PM
YES im so happy to here this - I cant wait to watch her at Wimbled on her best chance Imo - please Lindsay I hope you can win your 4th slam this yr!

hurricanejeanne
Nov 5th, 2006, 05:15 PM
Le sigh.
I'm not sure how to word what I'm thinking right now, but I guess I'll give it a try.

Part of me feels like this "abbreviated schedule" is somewhat similar to her "Oh, I'm just going to schedule through to March and see what happens" line of crap we've gotten for the last couple of years.
I feel like whether she wants to play an extra tournament here or there will depend on her results between the Australian Open and Indian Wells. I would love for her to play a warm up, any of them, before Wimbledon. And I can't really see her chosing one tournament out of her usual four of the summer hardcourts. I kind of think she'll play another one there too. Whether she plays past the US Open 2007 is obviously something she hasn't thought about and I think that will depend on her health, her results, and her ranking up to that time. If she somehow "catches fire" again then she might hang around a little be longer, but I'm not holding my breath.

Part of me is really, really happy I'll get to see her again at three of the majors. (The French can take a hike for all I care at this point. I don't need any clay court heartattacks anymore either). But part of me is really sadden by this. It really feels like we're closer than ever to those final chapters of her career.
All the while she just keeps hitting "snooze" on that biological clock of hers. God bless her.

Reguarding the fainting. I am NOT surprised that they decided it was low blood sugar. I had the same thing happen to me in February at work. All of a sudden I just collapsed. I got lucky, I fell into a grocery cart that had water softener salt in it and it stopped me from hitting my head too hard. I bruised the hell out of the left side of my body though. So I kind of understand what she's describing.

I don't know what to think. I guess we'll just see what happens come January 1 and beyond. But I will say if you told me three years ago, after her foot surgery that in 2007 Lindsay would still be hanging around I would have laughed in your face.
I'm going to try my damnest to enjoy every moment I have as a fan left with her, just in case this is her final year. Because with this woman, you just never, ever know what to expect. ;)

venus_rulez
Nov 5th, 2006, 05:19 PM
This is good news, it'll be great to see her out there at the beginning of the year:D

MH0861
Nov 5th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Yeah, I don't really see how her motivation and attitude will be much better than at this year's post-USO events. The question is, what is she playing for?

I would think Wimbledon - it's the only slam where she realistically has any sort of chance to win.

I like that she's playing... but really, it's silly -- if she's gonna play, I wish she would do it right. She has a decent chance of gaining points all year -- she has to defend QF at the AO, SF in Dubai and 4R in Indian Wells... and she should do well in Tokyo as usual. I'm not saying she should travel to Dubai or Antwerp just to gain points, but it's going to be a tough year with a low ranking. Of course, she's going to have to beat the best anyway if she wants to win tournaments or slams -- but at this point, she needs kind draws, and a low ranking will not help.

Tennislover26
Nov 5th, 2006, 05:25 PM

:tape:

give her a break ok ? She deserves a holiday with her husband :)

I'm just happy she'll play a couple of tournaments in 2007 :bounce:

why wouldn't she be able to upset a higher ranked player :angel:

MH0861
Nov 5th, 2006, 05:26 PM

I'm just happy she'll play a couple of tournaments in 2007 :bounce:

why wouldn't she be able to upset a higher ranked player :angel:

She can beat the Schiavones and Schnyders ahead of her, but :help: to a 1R match against Sharapova at Wimbledon or something.

!<blocparty>!
Nov 5th, 2006, 05:41 PM

She's had at least 6 months to holiday with her husband this year.

:inlove:
Nov 5th, 2006, 05:55 PM
Probably be Australian Open, Dubai, Indian Wells, Wimbledon, San Diego, LA and US Open. End of career.

volta
Nov 5th, 2006, 06:08 PM
:banana: :banana:

ChampLindsay
Nov 5th, 2006, 06:19 PM
jiha....

some good news from Lindsay:kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :wavey: :wavey: :hearts: :hearts: ..................

hoppefully she will make some good results at these 7-8 events......it would be ood for her ranking............

but Lindsay :worship: :worship: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

Jakeev
Nov 5th, 2006, 06:24 PM
As far as I am concerned, a part time Lindsay on tour is better than no Lindsay. She still wants to play the game but doesn't want to play a full schedule anymore.

What is wrong with that?

The concern I have is that she does not do well in tournaments and her ranking suffers. The positives are the fact she has fewer points to defend after the Spring.

Either way, I couldn't be happier that she isn't retiring:bounce: :bounce:

Wannabeknowitall
Nov 5th, 2006, 06:29 PM
I'm happy but at the same time I want to see her as fit as she was at last year's Australian Open.
She moved pretty good until her ankle injury.
That would be enough to make her a serious contender, that and being able to open up the court.

crazillo
Nov 5th, 2006, 06:39 PM
Good that she is not retiring, but she has to do soooo wlel in all those big events to secure a seeding! Probably she will play a bit more if she is not so sueccesful there. I knew she would skip the clay season, but it seems strange that she only wants to play one event before the USOPEN and not after it anymore...

crazillo
Nov 5th, 2006, 06:48 PM
After reading through some of your posts I must say I cannot understand you. Have Serena and Venus played much more than 8 eventsi n the last years? OK, maybe more than 8, but they still won slams. If Lindsay had won Wimby 2004 I bet we wouldn't see her playing in 2007. We should see this as a bonus. Lindsay won't prepare only 50%, she will prepare to the max. She is also going to play an Exo in Hongkong, then AO, Tokyo. It's a bit strange that she won't play Dubai, but I can understand her. She wants to gain many points at a few events and IW/Miami is better for that. Nobody expected her to play on clay, so one wimby-tuneup plus Wimby is Ok, too. I know that she should play more than one event before the US-OPEN and I am quite sure she will somehow. But all in all nobody could expect her to play much more 10 events in 2007 anyways...

!<blocparty>!
Nov 5th, 2006, 06:51 PM
Have Serena and Venus played much more than 8 eventsi n the last years?

:lol:

Loving the comparisons to Mary, Venus and Serena in here.

hotandspicey
Nov 5th, 2006, 07:03 PM
Yay Lindsay! :yippee: :banana: She most definitely will skip clay season but its all good. Will see her one last time at us open. :bounce:

Andrew..
Nov 5th, 2006, 08:37 PM
Exactly. After the AO, she'll probably be out of the top 40. Playing only another 6-7 events the rest of the year, it will be hard to rebuild her ranking. She won't be seeded anywhere, and could meet big names in her opening matches at tournaments.

That's why I don't understand the schedule. And for those of you who say, "SHE'S PLAYING FOR FUN!~", look at how she was after the US Open this year. She didn't look like she was having much fun. And she's said over and over again that if she was some player hanging onto the lower range of the top ten, that she wouldn't want to be playing. Soon, she'll be a player hanging onto the lower end of the top 40. I don't think she'll be happy like that. She doesn't want her last year on tour to be like those of Martinez or Sanchez-Vicario.

It's a dumb plan. If she wants to play a reduced schedule, she should at least play 10-12 events to keep her ranking respectable, and get herself decent seedings. Without those, she's screwed.

Kim's_fan_4ever
Nov 5th, 2006, 08:41 PM
I'm glad to hear that. I hope she'll play as long as it's possible.

PLP
Nov 5th, 2006, 08:50 PM
Yay :D

Though I'm not sure playing only 7 or 8 events is the way to go, unless she wants to end up playing Justine and Maria in the 3rd round of tournaments :o

Agreed! I am happy she has a plan, I just hope she plays 10-12 events so her ranking gets back up a bit!

But a good idea to skip the red clay! Too tough on her body and she can really prepare for Wimbledon, her best shot at a major next year IMHO!

Wannabeknowitall
Nov 5th, 2006, 08:57 PM
Exactly. After the AO, she'll probably be out of the top 40. Playing only another 6-7 events the rest of the year, it will be hard to rebuild her ranking. She won't be seeded anywhere, and could meet big names in her opening matches at tournaments.

That's why I don't understand the schedule. And for those of you who say, "SHE'S PLAYING FOR FUN!~", look at how she was after the US Open this year. She didn't look like she was having much fun. And she's said over and over again that if she was some player hanging onto the lower range of the top ten, that she wouldn't want to be playing. Soon, she'll be a player hanging onto the lower end of the top 40. I don't think she'll be happy like that. She doesn't want her last year on tour to be like those of Martinez or Sanchez-Vicario.

It's a dumb plan. If she wants to play a reduced schedule, she should at least play 10-12 events to keep her ranking respectable, and get herself decent seedings. Without those, she's screwed.

Lindsay was ranked or seeded number one at 5 straight slams from 2005 to 2006.
It got her close to a slam win but even getting good draws in the end wasn't enough.
She's going to have to beat the top players somewhere.

For her though, Lindsay seems more focused early on in a tourni than later on compared to other players on tour.
That's what really makes her so consistent.

If she's more focus early on in the slams compared to the other top players who are more focused later on in the slam, guess what that will likely mean for the other top players. :devil:

hurricanejeanne
Nov 5th, 2006, 09:02 PM
I would like to think(and hope) that this is a rough draft of a schedule for her right now. These are the tournaments she's definately playing. I really cannot see her only playing one lead up event to the USO though, she'll probably play at least 2.
I also wouldn't be surprised if she gets sucked into playing Dubai again. She may or may not play a warm up before Wimbledon.
We'll have to wait and see.

But getting give up the clay is understandable. (Even though I would have liked her to play Amelia Island one last time).

mike/topgun
Nov 5th, 2006, 09:17 PM
oh, Lindsay at leats you're not rtiring yet...if the body holds up:tape:

playing only 8 events a year is not a bad idea, if she wins half of them;)

Orion
Nov 5th, 2006, 09:20 PM
Your point being? :confused: This is a message board general discussion forum, where people give their opinions, and discuss.

Lindsay playing 7/8 events is just really, really stupid. She's not going to achieve anything except maybe a good slam run with a decent draw and a tier II title (wait, will she play any of them?:o).

:shrug:

The assumption you're making is that she wants to achieve something still. I know, it would be nice for her to win another slam, but playing a full schedule now is less conducive to that end than anything else. Her body just cannot hold up. I also understand that she has said in the past that she would hate to be dead weight on the tour, but hey, she changed her mind. This morning, I decided I wanted bacon instead of sausage. I changed my mind. It happens.

The other thing I would take everyone on here to task for is the assumption that she can't beat top players. As recently as New Haven, she beat the WORLD NUMBER 1, 2x SLAM CHAMPION, in straight sets, after a multiple month layoff. She's got the kind of game that can beat top players at any time. I'd think she, at this stage in her career, is less worried about who she'll have to face than her opponents will be upset at having to face her early. She's accepted the fact that she's not going to be a top 5 player; she doesn't want that anymore. The permanent tour is too hard on her body, and if she realistically wants to be in walking shape in ten years, it's time to stop full-time tennis. Take Agassi as an example; four years ago he was the world number one. Since then, he hadn't capitalized on any of his slam chances, and it became clear that he was no longer a viable member of the elite. But he still persevered, and we were better off for it. Anyone with clean, hard groundstrokes, a top-tier serve, and champion credentials is a threat. A title threat? Maybe not. But Lindsay doesn't need anymore titles. She just wants to play events where she has history, and fun, and can still do well. And so long as she does that, who are we to say it's smart or not? Not only is it not our career, we don't have a working knowledge of her goals, her expectations, or her health. Negative speculation is a waste of time; I just trust that what she does is the best thing for her, right now, in the moment. She knows 10,000 times more about the WTA than any of us. Her decisions are CLEARLY more informed than ours.

ah yes, now I remember why I quoted you: And my opinion, which you may discuss freely, is that Lindsay doesn't care about your feelings on the matter, or mine, or anyone elses.

Off to work, enjoy the Champs this week, all!

Orion
Nov 5th, 2006, 09:24 PM
Also, quick random fact: Lindsay delivered 3 double bagels this year. Does anyone else have more?

Si_Hi
Nov 5th, 2006, 09:27 PM
good news!

ChrisCologne
Nov 5th, 2006, 09:31 PM
I think that Lindsay will add 2-3 events if she goes out early due to bad draws

mike/topgun
Nov 5th, 2006, 09:37 PM
Well, we Lindsay fans certianly know, that it's slowly coming to an end , but how much fun could Lindsay get from losing to Masha in Wimbledon 3rd round:shrug:
If she's to play only 8 events, she needs to be really effective - get to the quarters, semis, finals...otherwise she'll not be enjoying it like it was in Beijing, that's for sure. Or she'll be really fit and happy to be on court like in 2004.:unsure:

After all, I'm totally thrilled that she made the statement at last:banana:

Lindsayfan32
Nov 5th, 2006, 09:52 PM
As far as I am concerned, a part time Lindsay on tour is better than no Lindsay. She still wants to play the game but doesn't want to play a full schedule anymore.

What is wrong with that?

The concern I have is that she does not do well in tournaments and her ranking suffers. The positives are the fact she has fewer points to defend after the Spring.

Either way, I couldn't be happier that she isn't retiring:bounce: :bounce:

I totally agree with you Jakeev this sums uo how I feel about this best. Also who says Lindsay won't add event to the schedule if she feels like it? Its about time she's been given the choice and the schedule isn't set in stone. :):bounce:

!<blocparty>!
Nov 5th, 2006, 09:55 PM
The assumption you're making is that she wants to achieve something still. I know, it would be nice for her to win another slam, but playing a full schedule now is less conducive to that end than anything else. Her body just cannot hold up. I also understand that she has said in the past that she would hate to be dead weight on the tour, but hey, she changed her mind. This morning, I decided I wanted bacon instead of sausage. I changed my mind. It happens.

The other thing I would take everyone on here to task for is the assumption that she can't beat top players. As recently as New Haven, she beat the WORLD NUMBER 1, 2x SLAM CHAMPION, in straight sets, after a multiple month layoff. She's got the kind of game that can beat top players at any time. I'd think she, at this stage in her career, is less worried about who she'll have to face than her opponents will be upset at having to face her early. She's accepted the fact that she's not going to be a top 5 player; she doesn't want that anymore. The permanent tour is too hard on her body, and if she realistically wants to be in walking shape in ten years, it's time to stop full-time tennis. Take Agassi as an example; four years ago he was the world number one. Since then, he hadn't capitalized on any of his slam chances, and it became clear that he was no longer a viable member of the elite. But he still persevered, and we were better off for it. Anyone with clean, hard groundstrokes, a top-tier serve, and champion credentials is a threat. A title threat? Maybe not. But Lindsay doesn't need anymore titles. She just wants to play events where she has history, and fun, and can still do well. And so long as she does that, who are we to say it's smart or not? Not only is it not our career, we don't have a working knowledge of her goals, her expectations, or her health. Negative speculation is a waste of time; I just trust that what she does is the best thing for her, right now, in the moment. She knows 10,000 times more about the WTA than any of us. Her decisions are CLEARLY more informed than ours.

ah yes, now I remember why I quoted you: And my opinion, which you may discuss freely, is that Lindsay doesn't care about your feelings on the matter, or mine, or anyone elses.

Off to work, enjoy the Champs this week, all!

The assumption you're making is that she wants to achieve something still.

Right, so we should assume that she's coming back to achieve nothing. OK.

The other thing I would take everyone on here to task for is the assumption that she can't beat top players. As recently as New Haven, she beat the WORLD NUMBER 1, 2x SLAM CHAMPION, in straight sets, after a multiple month layoff.

Mauresmo doesn't count. Or if she does, see: Beijing. We all know what happened there.

Blah, I can't be bothered replying to all that other crap. The decision is ridiculous. Either commit and become a full-time tennis player again or go make babies and hang out with popstars.

tobi
Nov 5th, 2006, 11:29 PM
Good luck Lindsay :)

40-0
Nov 6th, 2006, 12:10 AM
i think shes gonna get one of the three , mark my word

JackWalker
Nov 6th, 2006, 12:30 AM
i think this is a great idea. she will always be rested and healthy next year. the only bummer is that since she will not be playing much, her ranking will drop, and she would get tough draws at the tournaments she decides to play

RJWCapriati
Nov 6th, 2006, 05:04 AM
Good news...though its pretty much obvious she will end her career at the 2007 U.S. Open

Jakeev
Nov 6th, 2006, 06:48 AM

I thought I read she will have special status for wild cards next year?

jamatthews
Nov 6th, 2006, 06:58 AM
pleeeeeeeeeeease play a wimbledon warm up Linds!

Sharapova vs Davenport in the final of Birmingham? :eek:

MistyGrey
Nov 6th, 2006, 07:09 AM
She wont need WC's. I think she'll maintain a top 30 ranking even with only 7-8 events

~Eclipsed~
Nov 6th, 2006, 07:22 AM
I hope she gets some friendly draws.

brayster87
Nov 6th, 2006, 07:49 AM
great news about our lindsay....everyone is stating that it is silly to have a schedule for 7/8 tournaments in 2007. At the end of the day, she still wants to play, not for the money (coz she has enough already) but for the entertainment value of tennis.

Realistically though the US Open will be her last event also (like Agassi) simply because it is in her home country. Nevertheless, it is great to hear that lindsay wants to play for another year.

Lets hope that she has another 2 years left i her because she has been such a great champion over the years and deserves to leave the world of women's tennis with honour and the respect from fans alike..

lindsayno1
Nov 6th, 2006, 10:56 AM
PLEASE a pre wimby warm up!!!!!!!!

Ben.
Nov 6th, 2006, 11:03 AM
plz don't retire lindsay. keep on goin!

mc8114
Nov 6th, 2006, 11:19 AM
:woohoo:

Kunal
Nov 6th, 2006, 12:27 PM
thats honestly the best tennis news i have heard in a while.#

davenport is one of the best players out there....may she stay for a lil longer

RJWCapriati
Nov 6th, 2006, 01:42 PM
I'm guessing she will play -

Hong Kong (Exh)
Australian
Dubai
Indian Wells
Maybe Amelia Island
Wimbledon
Stanford
L.A.
U.S. Open

Sharapovafan4eva
Nov 8th, 2006, 08:20 AM
This is great!

lindsayno1
May 28th, 2007, 10:19 PM
well what a load of rubbish this was!

Groenefelder25
May 28th, 2007, 10:26 PM
thats brilliant !!! i really thought it was the end, but obviously not. and to think she was on the verge of retiring a couple of years ago. it obviously shows her love for the sport

carling
May 28th, 2007, 10:31 PM
Hmmmm... That article is dated November 2006, which I believe is prior to Lindsay's pregnacy because there's no mention of it. I seriously doubt Lindsay will be back after having the baby. That changes everything.

!<blocparty>!
May 28th, 2007, 10:31 PM
Oh my God. This was such an evil bump. :o

I almost just wet myself.

Demska
May 28th, 2007, 10:38 PM
So so so happy!

See you on court.

tennisbear7
May 28th, 2007, 10:41 PM
OMG.

This bump was so evil. :o

I almost wet myself too.

serenaforever
May 28th, 2007, 10:44 PM
So much for that...

Tenis Srbija
May 28th, 2007, 10:44 PM
BUMP :lol:

hurricanejeanne
May 28th, 2007, 10:47 PM
It took me a minute to remember that this was the pre pregnancy announcement article. My heart stopped a little bit before I remembered.

*sigh*

serenaforever
May 28th, 2007, 10:49 PM
It took me a minute to remember that this was the pre pregnancy announcement article. My heart stopped a little bit before I remembered.

*sigh*

I thought it was recent, too.

Morrissey
May 28th, 2007, 10:50 PM
I doubt Davenport comesback. I wish that bitch would retire.

champGS1452
May 28th, 2007, 10:59 PM
I doubt Davenport comesback. I wish that bitch would retire.

:rolleyes: Shut up.

Yeah,that was pretty evil :o :lol:

Farina Elia Fan
May 28th, 2007, 11:04 PM
evil bump :o

piercerocks
May 28th, 2007, 11:16 PM
omg i was sbout to jump up and down.. and then i saw november 2006.

tterb
May 28th, 2007, 11:23 PM
well what a load of rubbish this was!
Clearly you are the spawn of Satan. Why would you get your fellow Lindsay fans' hopes up like that? Just cruel, really. :sad:

dybbuk
May 28th, 2007, 11:26 PM
:sad:

IanRadi
May 28th, 2007, 11:54 PM
Oh come on!!! :fiery: When I read it I thought that she was coming back and then I read that it was from November 2006, DAMN!!!!

Slumpsova
May 29th, 2007, 12:08 AM
i was about to scream :awww:

mdterp01
May 29th, 2007, 12:15 AM
Damn you. I thought she was coming back in '07 and then saw that this article is old as hell. :fiery: Don't do that to me!!!! Linds...I love you and miss you. :hug:

fufuqifuqishahah
May 29th, 2007, 12:15 AM
i was like so excited and then i read "three of the four grand slams" and then i was like... she's not here at the french... and then i saw the date lol

Couver
May 29th, 2007, 12:16 AM
It was a bit mean bumping this thread. I saw it and was like OMG that's great news. But it's old :sad:

Has Lindsay had her baby yet though?

Slumpsova
May 29th, 2007, 12:16 AM
this thread should be closed :o

hurricanejeanne
May 29th, 2007, 12:33 AM
It was a bit mean bumping this thread. I saw it and was like OMG that's great news. But it's old :sad:

Has Lindsay had her baby yet though?

She's due in mid to late June, so any week now. :)

The Daviator
May 29th, 2007, 01:02 AM

*sigh*

:hug:

I wasn't fooled, I remembered this topic :lol:

mm1147
May 29th, 2007, 01:52 AM
i want her to play for 2 more years :sad:

Ferosh
May 29th, 2007, 02:05 AM
I still have a little bit of hope. :sobbing:

TF Chipmunk
May 29th, 2007, 02:10 AM
I still have a little bit of hope. :sobbing:me too, even though when she comes back she'll be running around like an old hag :o :sad: Lindsay, sentimental favorite :sobbing:

LoveFifteen
May 29th, 2007, 02:54 AM
I miss you, Linds. :sobbing:

CrossCourt~Rally
May 29th, 2007, 02:56 AM
Oh come on!!! :fiery: When I read it I thought that she was coming back and then I read that it was from November 2006, DAMN!!!!

I know ... that was ROTTEN :mad: :sad:

Frode
May 29th, 2007, 03:17 AM
This kind of shit usually only happens in fed cup weeks.:mad:

Stephieva
May 29th, 2007, 03:22 AM
I am so happy Linds is still playing.
I really miss her :D

go hingis
May 29th, 2007, 03:29 AM

Me Too, I was so excited and then looked at the date.

lecciones
May 29th, 2007, 03:35 AM
Congratulations Lindsay fans, I'm one of them too. I knew she would play again!!!!! She's just too good not to play!

tennis ace
May 29th, 2007, 03:41 AM
that is so mean....lol

serenafan08
May 29th, 2007, 05:27 AM
That is really wrong. Don't play with people's emotions like that! :(

Zauber
May 29th, 2007, 06:15 AM
so what is she going to do about having kids??

Zauber
May 29th, 2007, 06:19 AM
I should know better than read the stuff on this board.
where i get sensored for quoting a player nothing else
What do you think of a loser like this?
And then her quotes after the game.
I said absolutely nothing else.
The reason was that it was to inflammatory to say
She had just lost and she was definitely a loser.
But say anything derogatory on this board about
SERENA WILLIAMS
and you have the lynch mob out and get censored.

Pureracket
May 29th, 2007, 06:23 AM
I should know better than read the stuff on this board.
where i get sensored for quoting a player nothing else
And then her quotes after the game.
I said absolutely nothing else.
The reason was that it was to inflammatory to say
She had just lost and she was definitely a loser.
But say anything derogatory on this board about
SERENA WILLIAMS
and you have the lynch mob out and get censored.WHAT did you say about Serena?:fiery:

Harvs
May 29th, 2007, 06:30 AM
that was late last year... since then she has stated that she "cannot see herself playing professionally again"
i would lvoe for her to tho :)

Sam L
May 29th, 2007, 06:49 AM
So that Chinese newspaper was right then! I can't remember the poster that posted it but they said she'd be back.

sfselesfan
May 29th, 2007, 06:50 AM
Extremely doubtful IMO

SF

Slumpsova
May 29th, 2007, 07:02 AM
:rolls: @ someon who didn't even read the article

lindsayno1
May 29th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Clearly you are the spawn of Satan. Why would you get your fellow Lindsay fans' hopes up like that? Just cruel, really.

:O thats mean!!!

I didnt reply to make people think she was comin back! I randomly looked at my reps, saw this thread and clicked on it cos i couldnt remember what it was!!! Sorry guys!!!!