PDA

View Full Version : Did Mary ever peak????

DomenicDemaria
Nov 5th, 2006, 08:57 AM
Just wanted to know what you guys think. Did Mary ever peak?
We know she has best game when on. Everytime she seemed to be peaking she got injured. Take 2000. She won the French Open with a shoulder injury which ruined her whole year. In this year I think she could have peaked and taken another slam and finished the year at the top if she didn't get injured. Again last year she seemed to be peaking again to have an injury plagued this year. Im quite young and only been a fan since 97 so I cant comment on prior to that. But I feel she never peaked, still has achieved amazing things but never got to her potential. What do you guys think?

pierce_fanatic
Nov 5th, 2006, 12:59 PM
I voted 'unsure'. Had she not been injured in 2000 with that shoulder injury she would have been unstoppable and could have picked up a few more grand slam titles and also become #1.

I'm just not too sure though.

Lunatiq
Nov 5th, 2006, 06:33 PM
I wait for news after surgery so I dont know. First trainings will show. She will know whether she can play or not, so If she will say yes, that will mean she will the best again...

sebbe
Nov 5th, 2006, 07:23 PM
I think she has peaked! She did in 2005 from roland garros...I don't think she can get more fitter than that and be more consistent.

John A Roark
Nov 6th, 2006, 12:10 AM
I hate to say it, but I wonder will her body let her train to the optimum peak at which she can play consistently knock-out tennis in the style only Mary can.
I'm thinking she was so very close to peaking at the YEC '05--only a mental lapse, or maybe just the phenomenal play of the tennis MACHINE Mauresmo, kept her from the title.
I hope she has another push left in her, physically--there is no doubt she has the heart of two lionesses.

Go, Mary Caroline, go!

Lu_Weird
Nov 6th, 2006, 02:43 AM
Unsure, Mary has a very long career in different tennis period (the first generation of Graf, the following gegeration of Hingis,Daveport,Willimas, the third gegeration of Belgiums, and the present gegeration of Maria Sharp.) People never know how long she can reach, no one think she could got that achevement in 2005(expect her fans), But she can defeat any of them in any period even in their gold time. Maybe Mary is not a No.1 player of the world, but she is a giant killer to anyone, I believe she will back one day and contend the women's tennis agian!

MistyGrey
Nov 6th, 2006, 05:42 AM
Nope. Mary didnt really peak, and maybe that is one of the reasons why she still wants to play. She has peaked in matches or tournaments(94 RG, 00 FCC, 05 San Diego) but she hasn't had a patch of an entire month where she was at her peak. Even in 2005, she had nagging injuries and mental let downs. My biggest tennis wish is to have Mary back and to see her playing at her peak consistantly for a few months.

guycan
Nov 6th, 2006, 05:49 AM
I definitely don't think Mary ever peaked. Following her major victories and renaissance year in 2005, injuries ruined the momentum. I definitely would agree that she was on the verge of peaking, but then injuries held her back.

Of course in 2005 she had an outstanding year, but if she were to keep the momentum going and had more match play, she could definitely beat the top players regularly. The Gaz de France final against Mauresmo this year was an example...she could have won that match if it weren't for the foot injury that dogged her for the majority of the season (I recall her saying after losing the second set tiebreak of that final that even if she had won that second set, she would have retired from the match because of the foot).

It's a real shame, because I think she could have reached No. 1 in the World (especially this year and in 2000) and have had more tour success and grand slam success. But despite her injuries and other traumas, she's had an amazing career that many in the top echelons of tennis would envy.

ashwu
Nov 7th, 2006, 02:45 PM
vote yes, because injury is part of the game. i try not to believe those words like "deserve" and "should have" (although i use them a lot :p).
if she got no.3 when she's at the best, then that's just her peak. though that doesn't means she couldn't top that after the injury :) go mary~

Declan
Nov 7th, 2006, 08:51 PM
She was actually consistency personified in 1998, when she won a career-best four events, beat everyone and only suffered from tough Slam draws and the inexplicable first-ever first round Slam loss at Wimbledon. Other than that she was magnificent.

MistyGrey
Nov 7th, 2006, 09:27 PM
I agree that her 1998 was pretty consistent, but she got injured at a very bad time. She injured her ankle or back (not sure) at Berlin against Paulus (Mary had match points in that match :sad:) and then played suffered early losses in her next two events because of the injury. Unfortunately the two events were Wimbledon and Roland Garros.

MyskinaManiac
Nov 13th, 2006, 05:54 PM
It's hard to say. I believe she will return to tennis within the next 8 months. Her game is ageless... through the different champs of Graf, Seles, Hingis, Davenport, Williams sisters, Beligians and Russians she has witnessed and competed amongst it all. It is probably the most exciting period of womens tennis ever and her and probably Martina are the only ones to be at the top of tennis through it all.

Peaked? I'd like to think not... her age may detirmen this. Im going with yes... she has peaked. But all credit to a champion who started the game at 10.