PDA

View Full Version : Match reports

Emiel Goelen
Nov 2nd, 2006, 04:21 PM
I went to the tournament yesterday, I'll make a summary of what I saw, for the people who might be interested.

When we arrived, Santangelo-Krajicek had just started. None of them was playing very impressive. We went for a coffee, but when we came back, the match was already over. Some crazy Misa fans in the audience told us Misa had won because Santangelo had retired.

We went to court two for a while, before Flipkens-Zvonareva would start on centre. On court two, Muller was playing Katerina Bondarenko (who was wearing a hideous outfit :lol: ). Bondarenko had won the first set but in the second set, Martina was clearly playing better. None of them showed any great weapons, in my opinion, but Müller played more consistently, so she was the deserved winner in the end.

After the second set, we left to go watch Flipkens-Zvonareva. Zvonareva immediately took the lead, although she didn't really have to play great tennis. Flipkens didn't look very enthousiastic :help: Because it was a quite boring match, we went back to court two after the first set, but Stosur-Savchuk had already ended. We went back for another coffee then, and bumped into Ana Ivanovic in the hallway, as she was doing an acte de présence at the Whirlpool stand. She had to pose for pictures with some horny dudes and she did not seem amused :lol:

We then caught the end of Flipkens-Zvonareva. Zvonareva won, Flipkens did an interview, in which she complaint about the long season and that she would enjoy her holiday. She quickly added: "after I will lose in doubles, anyways" :lol: :tape:

Back at court two, we caught a part of a doubles match between Barbora Strycova and Andreea Vanc on one side and Martina Muller and Liga Dekmeijere on the other. Strycova and Vanc were clearly more comfortable and better adjusted to each other. They also seemed to have more fun on the court, while Muller and Dekmeijere didn't really seem to enjoy themselves. Dekmeijere wore the most horrendous outfit I saw all day long (yellow top, pink skirt, red nails :help: ). Deserving win for Strycova/Vanc!

On centre court, Yuliana Fedak then played Caroline Maes. Caroline Maes played well from the beginning (good groundstrokes, good serve), and she played very deep. Unfortunately, she also made a lot of mistakes, and her footwork was not that great. So Fedak won the first set. But then Maes started to make less mistakes, the audience of course began cheering her loudly and Fedak lost control. Maes won the second set. Then in the third, she received medical treatment, and everyone thought she had lost it when she was down 3 MP's, but she managed to get rid of them all, and from that moment on, she was clearly full of confidence, while Fedak had lost her momentum. Maes won (and deserved it!) - her first main draw WTA win ever!

We went to have dinner and came back while Flipkens and Krajicek were playing there doubles, against Vanessa Henke and Danica Krstajic. Nice match to follow. Henke and Krstajic are obviously good doubles players, and they used a lot of variety to confuse Flipkens and Krajicek (which worked). Flipkens and Krajicek both seemed very annoyed with everything. I never really liked Flipkens, and that feeling didn't improve at all yesterday :help:

After that match (Henke and Krstajic won in three sets, btw :p ), it was Clijsters time! When she entered for her match against Kremer, everyone was cheering like she is the nation's goddess. Clijsters never was in trouble against Kremer, but you can't say she played well either. If she plays like this in Madrid next week, I don't think she'll cause much damage there :help: But this was of course her first match in a while so it's logical to be a bit rusty.

I was sitting next to the players box during Kremer-Clijsters, and because the match was not always very interesting, I was observing the other players :cool: Virginie Razzano (Kremer's doubles partner) was in the box from the beginning. After a while, she was joined by Aravane Rezai and her father (only for the first set because Rezai had to play Sprem after this match). Razzano and Rezai started to cheer for Anne Kremer but that only made the other people around us cheer harder for Kim :lol: The girl next to me was from Luxembourg so she also started to cheer for Anne, so I joined in too (I might be Belgian but I'm a Justine fan :p ;) ). It was pretty funny, and I chatted a bit with Rezai's father, who seemed a bit crazy (in a funny way, not in a father Dokic way ;) ). Barbora Strycova also entered the box, together with her boyfriend (who was quite ok looking btw :drool: :p ), but they left after a while. Liga Dekmeijere also was there, and she seemed to enjoy all the music (they always play the most dumb songs in between games during Clijsters' matches), singing along and doing the moves with the rest of the audience :lol: She seemed like an annoying b*tch while playing her doubles match, but now she appeared to be a nice gal :)

After the match, I wanted to see Sprem-Rezai, but I had to catch my train home because I had other stuff to do too :(

I hope it was a bit interesting to read, I always like these reports from other posters so decided to do the same :)

~Kiera~
Nov 2nd, 2006, 05:10 PM
Thanks for the report :)

Ellery
Nov 2nd, 2006, 06:06 PM
Awesome report :yeah:

-Makiri-
Nov 2nd, 2006, 06:25 PM

*Jean*
Nov 2nd, 2006, 06:28 PM
Maybe I saw you :p

Ben.