PDA

View Full Version : YEAR-END (DEATH! :D) CHAMPIONSHIPS - Discussion/Feedback/Info

MH0861
Nov 2nd, 2006, 05:23 AM
So.. I know you're all wondering about what we're gonna do for the Year End Championships (Well, I call them the Year End Death Championships, because it's more festive :D ). There's a bunch of different ways we can go about this, and so I think a thread to discuss different options and ideas is in order.

IDEA #1: I went to MTF so see what they did last year, and it seemed to turn into a giant carwreck. Here's the link to that: http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=60436 We could go this way... let anyone play, and you can pick any player twice throughout the tournament (ie, once in the Round Robin, and once to use for the SF/F, logically.)

However.. I sorta wanted to make this an elite tournament for only the very best players throughout the year - much like the real YECs (And Masters Cup). I had an idea, and I'll post it here, and let me know what you think.. it might be convuluted and confusing, but I hope not.

IDEA #2:I was thinking about splitting the Top 8 year end ranked players into two groups, just like the real YECs.. and each day of round robin play, you have to make a pick within your group only, and you can't reuse, say, Sharapova for the remainder of RR play if you use her on Day 01.

However! In RR play, you can lose and still move on.. so I thought maybe, even if you get a wrong pick, you can still play in RR picks.. and at the end, we count up your W-L record, then Sets W-L, then games etc exactly like how the WTA does it. The top 2 from each group move on. Then, picks reset (so you can pick Sharapova again), and the usual rules apply again and it works like a normal tournament again for the SF and the Final.

To illustrate this...

REAL WTA Year End Groups:
Black = Sharapova (1), Mauresmo (3), Dementieva (6), Clijsters (8)
Red = Henin-Hardenne (2), Kuznetsova (4), Petrova (5), Hingis (7)

Based on this, I'd make Suicide Year End Groups like this
Black = Whoever is ranked 1, 3, 6 and 8.
Red = Whoever is ranked 2, 4, 5 and 7.

During Round Robin play, those Suicide Players who are in the Black Group only choose from WTA Black Group matches, and the same with the Red Group. We could also modify this so you can choose any matches you want, too. It's just an idea.

Once the Top 4 have been decided (much like the real WTA), then you can pick whoever you want for the SFs and F, and once you're out, you're out. I hope this makes sense. :o

We can also modify, change, or do whatever to these ideas - or maybe someone has a better idea. :) I'd really like to make this a tournament just for the Top 8 (or 16), because it adds importance to rankings and year-long performance. We just need to get moving.

NyCPsU
Nov 2nd, 2006, 06:34 AM
i think it should be any idea thats exclusive to the top players...whether it be top 8 or 16 (but i think it should be 8) its reward for being a highly ranked player...your idea works, i voted for it basically for the ranking cutoff though :) hope this helps

MH0861
Nov 2nd, 2006, 12:10 PM
If my idea is way too complicated, we can just take the Top 8, and everyone gets to choose a player twice throughout the tournament.

champion88
Nov 2nd, 2006, 12:44 PM
Top 16!

Drake1980
Nov 2nd, 2006, 02:26 PM
I say Top 16 single elimination.

Davenselesport
Nov 2nd, 2006, 04:40 PM
This poll is going to be very biased... whatever the person is ranked they are going to want to be included. Maybe this discussion should go to the board?

Tennace
Nov 2nd, 2006, 10:36 PM
I say Top 16 and Im not making it no matter what. There are tons of players who played this this season, and to only let 8 players play the final tournament is wierd.

To only let 8 out of 174 players (as of Beijing) who played this season is only letting 4.6% of the players to to the YEC, not that many people make it then.

Tennace
Nov 2nd, 2006, 10:37 PM
I say #2 but with 16 players :)

Ceze
Nov 3rd, 2006, 05:25 PM
I like the idea #2 (with 16 people) because it's more like the real YEC (I would like to see the real YEC with 16 players instead of 8 :p), but I also like the idea of everyone playing YEC. I don't know what to choose, so I let you decide guys. But if the idea #2 is chosen, do you think it's fair to give the top 8 (or 16) players points for this tournament, and 0 point for all the other players?

Davenselesport
Nov 3rd, 2006, 06:39 PM
I like the idea #2 (with 16 people) because it's more like the real YEC (I would like to see the real YEC with 16 players instead of 8 :p), but I also like the idea of everyone playing YEC. I don't know what to choose, so I let you decide guys. But if the idea #2 is chosen, do you think it's fair to give the top 8 (or 16) players points for this tournament, and 0 point for all the other players?

that sounds good actually...

take the top 8 or 16 and let them play for points
everyone else can play for prestige

MH0861
Nov 3rd, 2006, 08:02 PM

The YECs are a tournament for the very elite - just like the real WTA, which we usually try to model the game after (with byes and stuff). I think it makes the rankings in this game actually matter, and gives people incentives to play well - so they can get into this elusive tournament. I'm inclined to give the Top 8 entry into this tournament ( just like the real WTA), but I don't really mind making it 16 if that's what people want or think is fair.

Tennace
Nov 3rd, 2006, 08:12 PM
Or maybe make a group of 16 players competing for the YEC title, and everyone can also play but competing for a Madrid (maybe tier 3) tournament title. There can be 2 winners but separate tournaments I guess.