PDA

View Full Version : Dokic may miss wildcard play-off

JimM
Oct 31st, 2006, 06:22 PM
Dokic may miss wildcard play-off

November 1, 2006

Jelena Dokic is training in Germany and hoping to return to Australia for the summer season.

JELENA Dokic's troubled search for a career resurrection has led her to a coaching academy in Germany, but may not include a return to next month's Australian Open wildcard play-off at Melbourne Park, the scene of her homecoming last December.

Dokic has told Tennis Australia's director of player development, Craig Tiley, that she has only recently resumed from injury, so may not be back in Australia before the official start of the summer circuit in January. Tiley confirmed that Dokic had also inquired about the possibility of wildcards into local events.

"I told her the normal stuff, that we have the training camp play-off and then we'll probably have additional play-offs during the month of January, so if someone does well in the Hobart event, for example, they would be considered," Tiley said.

"She's indicated she wants to come back for the summer, but because she's starting late she's undecided whether she's going to come back at the end of the year for the play-off or come back in January and try to play her way through some of those events. It's 50-50, I think, right now."

The struggling 23-year-old, now ranked 617th, is apparently training with Martin Ruthner at the academy run by noted Croatian coach and former player Niki Pilic in Oberschlessheim, near Munich, amid wildly contrasting reports suggesting she is either planning to marry her Croatian boyfriend, Tin Bikic, or has split from him and been left desperate and penniless.

After winning the wildcard play-off last December and reuniting briefly with former coach Lesley Bowrey, the one-time No. 4 lost in the first round in Auckland, withdrew injured from the Canberra International, then was eliminated in the Open's first round by France's Virginie Razzano.

Since failing to qualify for Wimbledon in June, Dokic's tournament play has been limited to one satellite event, at Darmstadt in Germany, where she reached the quarter-finals.

"Jelena has been injured and out and has come back the last two months with more of a commitment," Tiley said. "She's working at an academy in Germany and says she is training hard every day and she's healthy now and making strides in the rankings."

If Dokic does play off for a wildcard, there will be no Tennis Australia assistance with flights or accommodation, that system having been replaced with one that rewards achievement over participation.

Just Do It
Oct 31st, 2006, 06:33 PM
well i think 2 months of every day training is enough to be ready, so she should be able to play that play off ?!

Its great because she is in contact with Australian tennis federation :yeah:

JimM
Oct 31st, 2006, 07:50 PM
I dont know how much truth there is in her being penniless, but even if she has to get the money from her Father, she has to play in OZ.

Go for it Jelena!!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

JimM

Just Do It
Oct 31st, 2006, 07:56 PM
Yes, she should call him ! I found one Jelenas pic (FRESH from Germany0 but i dont wanna post it ! Its not that good and i think she should go to solarium :wavey:

Dokic Pierce
Nov 1st, 2006, 03:54 AM
Yes, she should call him ! I found one Jelenas pic (FRESH from Germany0 but i dont wanna post it ! Its not that good and i think she should go to solarium :wavey:

Please post it! :)

MilanDokic
Nov 1st, 2006, 05:10 AM
Please post it! :)

Hi Dokic Pierce!

Pics of Jelena from Germany:

http://marijanacdusan.on.neobee.net/vesti/slike/dokic_germany_2006.jpg

Just Do It
Nov 1st, 2006, 07:23 AM
:tape: :tape: :tape:

TS
Nov 1st, 2006, 10:07 AM
"is making strides in the rankings" :tape: :o Er, OK.

Look, I want to see Jelena come back and start winning matches again. But I don't want to see her get a handout for a main draw WC. Unless she performs exceptionally well in the lead ups (Hobart, Auckland or whatever) then a qualies WC is all she should be considered for.

DokicForever
Nov 1st, 2006, 12:02 PM
i am very pleased that we have heard news about Jele. I wish my fave all the luck in the world and i hopeto see her on court soon!!

vutt
Nov 1st, 2006, 12:02 PM
Yep! Compared to last year AO when she was ranked around 300 something and played WC playoff tournie this years direct main draw WC would be unfair indeed.

King Aaron
Nov 1st, 2006, 03:05 PM
Hi Dokic Pierce!

Pics of Jelena from Germany:

http://marijanacdusan.on.neobee.net/vesti/slike/dokic_germany_2006.jpg
Isn't this from Wimbledon qualies?

DokicForever
Nov 1st, 2006, 03:12 PM
thats exactly what i thought!

furrykitten20
Nov 1st, 2006, 09:19 PM
i saw jelena the other day in Germany!! She said she had a meeting with damir, it ended very well, he only beat her around the stomach - not her face. how sweet:D

SeanyQ
Nov 2nd, 2006, 02:58 AM

Look, I want to see Jelena come back and start winning matches again. But I don't want to see her get a handout for a main draw WC. Unless she performs exceptionally well in the lead ups (Hobart, Auckland or whatever) then a qualies WC is all she should be considered for.

Exactly! Well said TS:worship:

Dokic Pierce
Nov 2nd, 2006, 04:05 AM

Actually that is a very good point :D

louloubelle
Nov 2nd, 2006, 08:55 PM
Jelena has gone through this cycle the last 3 years. Big intentions at the start and then falls off the radar until the years end, in which we hear from her again about her BIG intentions for the following year. A bit brazen to call for w/c's and not come down for the play-off. She would have no trouble with gals at the play-off and only Dellacqua, (assuming Molik won't play) would provide any problems for her. Therefore if she's a little bit under-done, I can't see it making a difference.

SeanyQ
Nov 3rd, 2006, 03:31 AM
Everyone seems to be thinking she'd be a shoe in to win the play off. I don't agree, look at her results overseas this year. She's flat off even qualifying for a $25k. Fair enough she was too strong in the playoff last year, but I'd reckon most of the Aussie girls would be able to handle her this time around. Maybe even Lauren Breadmore would have a chance.
She should also be trying to earn the wc by winning the kia tour. She had no excuse not to at least play the $25k & $10k's earlier in the year. So obviously she never has any intentions of actually earning a wc through results. Seems to me playing for Australia is just a simple way of scabbing a few wc's for Jelena over January & that's it! Forget giving her any wc's this summer, make her try & earn them for the following year.

Just Do It
Nov 3rd, 2006, 09:51 AM
that was last year :angel: she wasnt training at all !!! This time she will be ready...

Ben.
Nov 3rd, 2006, 09:58 AM
that was last year :angel: she wasnt training at all !!! This time she will be ready...

let's hope so :)

Sharapovafan4eva
Nov 4th, 2006, 10:16 AM
I hope she will be ready!

forever-martina!
Nov 4th, 2006, 03:45 PM
i saw jelena the other day in Germany!! She said she had a meeting with damir, it ended very well, he only beat her around the stomach - not her face. how sweet:D

:haha: