PDA

View Full Version : Update on Mary,Masha bashed,Vera praised..

MistyGrey
Oct 31st, 2006, 11:31 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=2643306

The gruesome knee injury Mary Pierce suffered in Linz, Austria last Thursday could be as hard to overcome psychologically as it is physically.

For now, the two-time Grand Slam winner is saying brave things about returning. Pierce wants to represent France at the 2008 Summer Olympic Games in Beijing in what would be her fourth Olympic appearance. But she is facing surgery and rehabilitation that could leave her at less than full power for six months to a year, a dicey proposition for a player who will turn 32 in January and was able to play only 17 matches this season because of nagging foot problems.

Josch/AFP/Getty Images
Mary Pierce will have to wait for the swelling in her knee to go down before she has surgery.
The initial diagnosis of the dramatic late-match injury that resulted in Pierce being carried off the court on a stretcher was a ruptured knee ligament. She is scheduled to have further examinations to determine whether there is more than one ligament involved, and whether the tear is full or partial.

Surgery won't take place until the swelling in the joint subsides, probably in three weeks to a month, French Tennis Federation doctor Gilles Daubinet told French reporters.

Pierce admitted she'd never been in so much pain in her life.

"It's too bad, I was just beginning to play well again," she said, according to a story published in the French sports daily L'Equipe. "But there are worse things in life."

Pierce came into Linz ranked No. 29 and winless since August, having lost in the first round of her previous three events. Tendinitis in her right foot sidelined her from February to August after a somewhat unexpected comeback season in 2005. Pierce went 43-13 last year and was the runner-up in the French Open, the U.S. Open and the WTA year-end championships. She ended 2005 ranked fifth, her highest perch since 2000, the same year she overcame a longtime jinx and became the first Frenchwoman to win at Roland Garros since 1967.

No. 26 Ai Sugiyama of Japan gave Pierce trouble in the first round, but Pierce prevailed in two tiebreakers and moved on to face Russia's Vera Zvonareva.

Down a set, the 25th-ranked Zvonareva saved three match points and was serving with the advantage at 5-6. Pierce chased a ball to her forehand side and planted her left foot awkwardly after hitting the shot. Her left knee buckled inward and Pierce collapsed, letting out a bloodcurdling scream. She continued to moan, clutching the knee, her chest heaving. Zvonareva hurried over with a bag of ice, followed by the trainer and an emergency medical crew. She stayed on the fringes of the group attending to Pierce throughout, and gently draped towels over her and folded one to put under Pierce's head just before she was wheeled out.

Speculation began almost immediately as to whether this latest setback could end Pierce's career. She tried to put the kibosh on that the next day, telling L'Equipe, "I feel it's not the moment to stop, and as long as I feel that way, I'll give everything." Her brother and primary coach, David Pierce, was equally resolute, saying, "She'll play until her body can't go any more."

Pierce deserves to be taken seriously when she says she'll try to keep going. She has hauled herself back to the top a few times since she turned pro at 14 in 1989, and survived a traumatic, brutally public split with her father and one-time coach, Jim Pierce. But during her recovery period, she'll just be another DNP in the WTA's legions of them, and the fact that her 2006 season never got off the ground shows once again how fragile life at the top can be for over-30 players.

Zvonareva's compassionate and sportsmanlike behavior -- she was the second person to reach Pierce, arriving within 20 seconds -- couldn't help but call to mind the way Maria Sharapova responded to what was perhaps this season's second-worst-looking in-match injury. In March at the NASDAQ-100, Sharapova's opponent Tatiana Golovin severely sprained her ankle in the late going of their semifinal match. Sharapova turned her back, jogged and bounced a ball on her end of the court as the weeping Golovin writhed in pain and then received treatment where she had fallen. There's no written etiquette for this kind of situation, but it seems like one where common sense and sensitivity should prevail.

Speaking of Sharapova
She won her 16th straight match and third consecutive title in Linz without dropping a set and rose to No. 2 in the rankings. Her five titles tie her with Nadia Petrova and Justine Henin-Hardenne for the most titles this season.

Yanks blanked
For the first time since the women's tour established a season-ending singles championship in 1972, no American player will be in the draw. An all-European field of four Russians, two Belgians, one French player and one Swiss Miss will square off for the title.

Martina Hingis and Kim Clijsters secured the last two spots in the championships in Madrid after Switzerland's Patty Schnyder was mathematically eliminated as a result of her semifinal loss in Linz. The injury-plagued Clijsters is coming off a two-month layoff this week in Hasselt, Belgium. Hingis' quarterfinal appearance in Zurich two weeks ago, the latest milestone in her inexorable march through the rankings after a premature three-year retirement, gave her the edge over the idle Clijsters for the seventh singles berth.

MistyGrey
Oct 31st, 2006, 11:33 AM
The writer could've just praised Vera, why bring Maria into all this.

MistyGrey
Oct 31st, 2006, 11:34 AM
Pierce decided to have an operation in a Colorado clinic, her fitness coach Xavier Moreau said overnight.

The 31-year-old, a former French Open and Australian Open champion, is expected to undergo her six-month rehabilitation back to full fitness in Florida, surrounded by her family.

Aaron68
Oct 31st, 2006, 11:37 AM
Because he/she (didn't notice) is making the same exact mistake that everyone else wants to make.

Masha thought Golovin went down with cramps. That's exactly what it looked like at full-speed. She turned her back. There's nothing for her to do. She isn't the effin' trainer. She stayed loose, and let the professionals deal with it.

Big deal.

Good lord, I remember when John Madden coached the Oakland Raiders, he forbad his players from helping the opposition off of the ground.

The writer probably hates Maria, doesn't understand the difference between a trainer and a tennis player, and just wants to stir up crap. Please.

S_Fahad
Oct 31st, 2006, 11:39 AM
Does anyone have the video of Tati's injury?

Dasha_
Oct 31st, 2006, 11:39 AM
I hope she recovers well and fast.

And I am happy Vera is not a bitch like Sharapova.

Dasha_
Oct 31st, 2006, 11:40 AM
Does anyone have the video of Tati's injury?

You haven't see that?????

pigam
Oct 31st, 2006, 11:41 AM
wow is this journalist a certain poster at WTAWOrld?
What a poor article!! This sort of crap form the ESPNsite :eek:. Seems like they did their research on the WTAWorld site. Peter Bodo, is that you?

MistyGrey
Oct 31st, 2006, 11:42 AM
I think its on youtube. You'll have to dig up.

While on Mary, here is a video of the book that was prepared and delivered to her. All the messages from WTA World were also included. Thanks to Stefi,Angel Mary and others from Mary's French forum.

http://www.megaupload.com/fr/?d=CJPD2I4A

S_Fahad
Oct 31st, 2006, 11:42 AM
I havent seen it yet :o

supergrunt
Oct 31st, 2006, 11:43 AM
Go on youtbe and look up Sharapova Golovin. Go to the last part of the match and you should see it :fiery: !

S_Fahad
Oct 31st, 2006, 11:44 AM
Thanx :wavey:

Dan23
Oct 31st, 2006, 12:00 PM
With all due respect Tatis actual injury looked much, much worse than Marys did...it was hardly gruesome but obviously more painful.

Aaron68
Oct 31st, 2006, 12:14 PM
With all due respect Tatis actual injury looked much, much worse than Marys did...it was hardly gruesome but obviously more painful.

Yes, in slow motion, now that you have seen it one hundred times.

When it happened, I was watching it, and I thought she either slipped or cramped. Maria was watching the ball. Then turned around.

Hey, no one, and I mean NO ONE, would have been happier to see Maria waltz over there, take Tatiana's hand, and start making out with her. But beyond that, I can't see what help she would have been.

The trainer was there within seconds. What good would Maria's presence do? She needs to stay focused on a tight match which Tatiana may very well recover to play out. She can't be worried about Tati. She needed to worry about herself.

Remember, while Maria was standing with her back turned, you were watching, alternately, slow-mo replays of Golovin turning her ankle over, and her sitting there crying (and laughing some, too). Maria didn't see that. She saw her opponent (in a *close* Semi-Final match) fall down. This opponent was being tended to by the trainer.

What do you think Maria could have accomplished?

Dan23
Oct 31st, 2006, 12:20 PM
Yes, in slow motion, now that you have seen it one hundred times.

When it happened, I was watching it, and I thought she either slipped or cramped. Maria was watching the ball. Then turned around.

Hey, no one, and I mean NO ONE, would have been happier to see Maria waltz over there, take Tatiana's hand, and start making out with her. But beyond that, I can't see what help she would have been.

The trainer was there within seconds. What good would Maria's presence do? She needs to stay focused on a tight match which Tatiana may very well recover to play out. She can't be worried about Tati. She needed to worry about herself.

Remember, while Maria was standing with her back turned, you were watching, alternately, slow-mo replays of Golovin turning her ankle over, and her sitting there crying (and laughing some, too). Maria didn't see that. She saw her opponent (in a *close* Semi-Final match) fall down. This opponent was being tended to by the trainer.

What do you think Maria could have accomplished?
Yea I was just referring to the injuries themselves...Mary's didnt look that bad, the knee barely went past its usual arc of movement unlike Tati's ankle which turned 90 degrees inward. Maria had her back turned when Tati went down anyhow which is a completely different issue which has had its day (or rather week) ;)

MisterMan
Oct 31st, 2006, 12:23 PM
The writer could've just praised Vera, why bring Maria into all this.

Because EVERYONE attacks you when you're on top. Looks wise, and talent wise.

It's as simple as grammar schoolgirl jealousy.

Martian Jeza
Oct 31st, 2006, 12:28 PM

You obviously don't know how a knee injury may be painfull.

Aaron68
Oct 31st, 2006, 12:30 PM
Yea I was just referring to the injuries themselves...Mary's didnt look that bad, the knee barely went past its usual arc of movement unlike Tati's ankle which turned 90 degrees inward. Maria had her back turned when Tati went down anyhow which is a completely different issue which has had its day (or rather week) ;)

Yeah, didn't mean to jump on you, or to hi-jack the thread.

I'm just testy on this particular matter. :)

Anyway, get well soon Mary.

Dan23
Oct 31st, 2006, 12:34 PM
You obviously don't know how a knee injury may be painfull.
I said the knee was obviously more painful :cool: maybe should have made it clearer ;)

Martian Jeza
Oct 31st, 2006, 12:42 PM
I said the knee was obviously more painful :cool: maybe should have made it clearer ;)

If you wanna have knee dislocations, you can have mines with all my pleasure :p

tenn_ace
Oct 31st, 2006, 03:25 PM
Vera, such a sweetie :angel:

no need to bring Maria into this (even though I was one of the posters who didn't approve of her behaviour int hat episode)

S_Fahad
Oct 31st, 2006, 03:28 PM
Tati's injury looked aweful. i am glad she is already back.Good luck to mary.

FrenchY52
Oct 31st, 2006, 03:33 PM
Tati's injury looked aweful. i am glad she is already back.Good luck to mary.

She isn't back anymore as she sprained the other ankle :smash:

S_Fahad
Oct 31st, 2006, 03:39 PM
Aweful for her, but I still I'm glad she recovered from that first injury.

Must be so hard for u, seeing your 2 favs injured like that!

spencercarlos
Oct 31st, 2006, 03:52 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=2643306

Zvonareva's compassionate and sportsmanlike behavior -- she was the second person to reach Pierce, arriving within 20 seconds -- couldn't help but call to mind the way Maria Sharapova responded to what was perhaps this season's second-worst-looking in-match injury. In March at the NASDAQ-100, Sharapova's opponent Tatiana Golovin severely sprained her ankle in the late going of their semifinal match. Sharapova turned her back, jogged and bounced a ball on her end of the court as the weeping Golovin writhed in pain and then received treatment where she had fallen. There's no written etiquette for this kind of situation, but it seems like one where common sense and sensitivity should prevail.

I agree completly with this part, these girls are human beings first, then tennis players.
Sharapova´s attitude is the worst i have ever seen from a top player on this department, ever.

Beny
Oct 31st, 2006, 04:40 PM
Well,I`m not any Masha-fan..(I think I`m a hater of her) But I must admit(IMHO) that Masha really DIDN`T SEE IT.I think if Masha saw how Tati had fallen, she would go to her. Vera,at first,didn`t notice Mary either(because of the same reason as Masha..she didn`t look there..she turned around..as almost every player does)..and I think Mary was screaming louder(I think Mary`s injury is worse) than Tati.......
I don`t think Masha refused to help Tati and wanted to see her suffer......

Beny
Oct 31st, 2006, 04:41 PM
She isn't back anymore as she sprained the other ankle :smash:

OMG...OMG
I hope it`s not so serious anymore :smash:

Doc
Oct 31st, 2006, 04:44 PM
Is this old shit being brought back again?

Really these haters have nothing better to do with their lives than backbite Maria all day on boards like these!

Golovin and Pierce were really different. Golovin just fell as if she slipped and lay there, almost laughing. Even Eurosport announcers didn't realise what happened until the slow-motion replay. Pierce was lying there screaming in pain. It was horrible - and quite evident to everyone it was a very serious injury!

pokey camp
Oct 31st, 2006, 04:48 PM
Good lord, I remember when John Madden coached the Oakland Raiders, he forbad his players from helping the opposition off of the ground.
Red Auerbach was the same way. He screamed at and cursed out players for helping up the opposition. He didn't want his players empathizing with the other team in anyway.

bis2806
Oct 31st, 2006, 04:49 PM
I think it was relevant to bring Maria in order to contrast the sportsmanship behaviors between Vera and Maria.

Doc
Oct 31st, 2006, 04:51 PM
I think it was relevant to bring Maria in order to contrast the sportsmanship behaviors between Vera and Maria.

Your just an obsessive hater, because Maria owns your fave.

If there's a thread saying anything bad about Maria, you're on it like shit on a blanket.

LH2HBH
Oct 31st, 2006, 05:23 PM
The writer already dislikes Maria, otherwise why would she bring up a totally unrelated incident from months ago.

LH2HBH
Oct 31st, 2006, 05:24 PM
I'd also like to comment that when Mary first went down, Vera also turned around and strolled casually to the baseline.

It wasn't until she realised the seriousness of the situation that she went over with the ice.

-Sonic-
Oct 31st, 2006, 05:48 PM
lol. . . . fabulous

morningglory
Oct 31st, 2006, 06:09 PM
digging up an old moldy bone I guess... oh well nothing new there...

tennisvulture
Oct 31st, 2006, 06:27 PM
well, lets see if this comes up the surface every time a players sustains an on-court injury...u all know Maria is just a kid who happens to be all business and there is nothing wrong with that. i wish everyone was approaching their business the way Maria does...the world would have been a much better place to live in